Your player rank

I just meant that I didn't win all of the competitions, or my team even win all of the era's.

ooo ok. yeah i dont think it would be realistic to someone to totally dominate a game to get 90%+ of the constests and techs.. i would hope maybe 60% or 70% would get it done.

Yes there is an achievement, and I now have the Mona Lisa hanging over my throne.

i am trying for that, i think the hollywood wonder will help. actually i am banking on it, otherwise it will be tough.

I'm ranked 10 in my game(game 434), I wanted to join Greece but somehow wound up with Russia and yet I still don't know how to change the name of my nation!!!! Btw, is there a way to create my own civ i.e. the Philippines or the Principality of Zeon?

You can't change any of the names. Although I think I read they plan to make it so you can change your town/id name.

I was first in my previous game, at 883 fame, to the second place's 613. Probably should've won a few more, but oh well.

Fell short again in my second game, at 860 fame. I think my civ won the last 15 or so eras, with me being the king or prince in most of them. We didn't get Hollywood early enough, perhaps..

I'm 1st in 1552 and won 773 and 254 before. This time I might get the Mona Lisa (792 fame, 6 eras to go, got Hollywood).

I am currently first in my game, but I am more interested in being on the winning Civ. We're neck and neck with the Aztecs (is there a winning civ table?) and my nation is 1 vote away from agreeing to declare war on them. We were evenly matched fight wise, but they must have gotten wind of the vote to attack because their str. went down 200 and their def. went up 150. We're still 50 or so str. over their defense, but if this war goes ahead, it's all or nothing. Two biggest civs about to deck it out! Pretty good game.

BUT... the damed defense minister has been awol for days. Here to hoping for barbarian attack to take his place.

Defending barbarians does not change the defense minister. Only civ-vs-civ battles do.

Well we all know who is first, second, third and so on first because of the player rankings. As for the winning civ, well I guess it will come down to a personal and honest look at the nations at the (abrupt) end of the game, their techs, wonders, gold, total fame of the members, etc. and make a fair judgment on that.

There are these crazy quotes flying around how the head honcho wanted teamwork to act as a veil over inevitable "backstabbing" to make sure when the clock strikes 12 you have the most fame points, therefore "win". Well I like the people I am playing with, added a fair few to friends and play ciV with them. I don't plan on backstabbing these new interwebs friends. The thought of backstabbing people I've been playing with for a week or so just doesn't seem very nice.

Therefore in answer to your question, "How do you determine what civ win?" That's something you'll decide at the close of the game (and it only works if your honest ;))

Sorry it isn't a "Look here and see" answer, but the game wasn't designed to reward teams with a win, per se. Although a lot of people consider this, among other ways, of determining the winning TEAM. I hope you somewhat see where I'm coming from.

/Red

How many of you have played the boardgame "Diplomacy"? You have to form teams in order to succeed ... and you have to betray your teammates in order to win. The game has been very popular for about fifty years. Maybe one should have the same mentality when playing CivWorld?

Vanity thread? :)

I was #1 in my first game (700+ points) and I'm #1 so far in my second game.

what dach2k3 wrote is very true, a friend of mine won two contests that way, while he was offline - was funny when he came back and asked why is he the king now :)

i try to do that as well but for a different reason entirely - i like when people choose me for the dowry and having a world record in food generation really helps :)

My first four games were in worlds with a bunch of uncoordinated noobs. I finished top in all four. Now I'm finally in a game with people with a clue. I'm really fighting to stay in the top ten, and my personal fame is far lower. However, the game is on track to end almost a thousand years sooner than some of my others. (I've had games go to 2800 AD).

How many of you have played the boardgame "Diplomacy"? You have to form teams in order to succeed ... and you have to betray your teammates in order to win. The game has been very popular for about fifty years. Maybe one should have the same mentality when playing CivWorld?

I wrote a lengthy post about more aggressive playing but somehow it didn't get posted so I'll try and repost as much as I can after losing so much work.

In my last game the top 14 players were all in the same civ including be at the top. All but one had over 200 fame and no one outside of the civ had more that 80. I had 1000+ and almost 300 more than the second person. If people were playing aggressively for personal victories they'd have all left the civ I was in so they could have a chance to beat me. If we all gain fame together then rarely could anyone in the same civ change fame ranking. The only things owned by a civ are wonders so if everybody left then I'd have few units and even less technology with would mean my units would be obsolete. Playing competitively you would only want to be in the same civ as people who are ahead of you if there were players from other civs you still had to pass. After that you would probably leave your current civ to join another so you could compete with the players in your previous civ. It would even be a good idea to join the civ of players you just passed because then they'd have trouble passing you.
I secretly wished in my last game that my civ would abandon me like I described because we were so far ahead and I was so far ahead there wasn't any challenge left.
If people were playing more aggressively there would be more shifting alliances. People seem to be playing like it is a team game.

I finished my first game a lousy 26th place. Maybe because I joined late and joined a 2 person civ. Not good strategy.

The last game I finished 1st pace, but with only 384 points :O. Most of the victories were NOT scientific, so we hadn't even gotten to mass media yet!

Proud to say that after a couple of false starts in games I now have in my last three games a #2, a #4, and a #1 with 1202 points (with a screenshot to prove it!). It was mostly science wins with a couple of culture wins thrown in. I only won a couple of contests, and even those were only won passively by having the house that produces the most science or happening that there was a most science harvested contest when I first woke up and had ten harvests to use.

One thing that really bothers me about this game is that a lot of times one civ pulls way ahead and the other civs just stop playing. No way I get 1000 points if two other civs actually challenged us and won a couple of eras for themselves.

We lost two eras eras early on. One because one civ attacked another that had wonders. We had an attack against that other civ later and wanted them to keep their wonders for us, so we defended them. That civ wound up winning the era because of us since the attacking civ was over the number needed for an era win. Of course, when we attacked them we got their wonders and it put us over the number of wonders needed for an era win.

The other era we lost was because one larger civ attacked a one person civ and didn't bother to stay awake for it. They wound up losing and the one-person civ got the era win.

But yeah, eventually everyone stopped playing and it was more of a waiting game. I had one challenger who was warmongering as defense minister. It got to the point where I was voting no about invasions because I didn't want him getting the military wins. I pulled away in the end by getting a science win and culture win to finish things up as science minister, king, and culture minister.

I think that's the key... to get the 1000 points you have to be consistently king and/or culture min and just pound science/culture at the end game, you HAVE to build Hollywood and you have to be in a civ that just dominated the game so much that there's no real competition for era wins anymore. There's a lot of random circumstances that come into it at this point...

In the game I just finished we had some pretty stiff competition from a couple other civs towards the middle and end-games especially and there were a lot of real bloody wars throughout the whole game. In the end it was we as the Chinese getting all the science wins and the Arabs getting the domination wins... we still came out on top but barely....

Top Bottom