[Religion and Revolution]: General Questions and Discussions

Edit: Already solved both concerns!! A new one came up, a major one: Changes in Custom House popup are not saved. How can I modify that? or at least where can I change the default values? Thanks a lot!

Edit 2: Latest update. The problem is with the first three items: Food, Wood and Stone. Changes are not saved for them. Is there any way to modify it in a file? I'm using Schmid modmod. Thanks,
1st question (if I've got it right):
Changes to the default values can be done in {yourmod}/assets/xml/GlobalDefinesAlt.xml (remember to make a copy first):
Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CUSTOMHOUSE_STRATEGIC_RAW_SELL_THRESHOLD</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>300</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CUSTOMHOUSE_STRATEGIC_PRODUCED_SELL_THRESHOLD</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>400</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CUSTOMHOUSE_RAW_SELL_THRESHOLD</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>200</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CUSTOMHOUSE_PRODUCED_SELL_THRESHOLD</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>100</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
What is what you can see here (from CvCity.cpp):
Spoiler :

Code:
				// [B]strategic raw[/B]
				if (eYield == YIELD_ORE || eYield == YIELD_HEMP)
				{
					ma_aiCustomHouseSellThreshold.set(GC.getCUSTOMHOUSE_STRATEGIC_RAW_SELL_THRESHOLD(), eYield);
				}
				// [B]strategic produced[/B]
				else if ( eYield == YIELD_TOOLS || eYield == YIELD_MUSKETS || eYield == YIELD_CANNONS || eYield == YIELD_SHEEP || eYield == YIELD_CATTLE || eYield == YIELD_HORSES || eYield == YIELD_ROPE || eYield == YIELD_SAILCLOTH || eYield == YIELD_TRADE_GOODS || eYield == YIELD_LUXURY_GOODS)
				{
					ma_aiCustomHouseSellThreshold.set(GC.getCUSTOMHOUSE_STRATEGIC_PRODUCED_SELL_THRESHOLD(), eYield);
				}

// [B]raw[/B]
				else if ( eYield == YIELD_HIDES || eYield == YIELD_FUR || eYield == YIELD_PREMIUM_FUR || eYield == YIELD_BARLEY || eYield == YIELD_SUGAR || eYield == YIELD_GRAPES || eYield == YIELD_COCOA_FRUITS || eYield == YIELD_COFFEE_BERRIES || eYield == YIELD_RAW_SALT || eYield == YIELD_RED_PEPPER || eYield == YIELD_WOOL || eYield == YIELD_COTTON || eYield == YIELD_INDIGO || eYield == YIELD_TOBACCO || eYield == YIELD_WHALE_BLUBBER || eYield == YIELD_VALUABLE_WOOD)
				{
					ma_aiCustomHouseSellThreshold.set(GC.getCUSTOMHOUSE_RAW_SELL_THRESHOLD(), eYield);
				}

// [B]produced[/B]
				else if (eYield == YIELD_SILVER || eYield == YIELD_GOLD || eYield == YIELD_GEMS || eYield == YIELD_COCOA || eYield == YIELD_COFFEE || eYield == YIELD_SALT ||  eYield == YIELD_SPICES || eYield == YIELD_WOOL_CLOTH || eYield == YIELD_CLOTH || eYield == YIELD_COLOURED_CLOTH || eYield == YIELD_LEATHER || eYield == YIELD_COATS || eYield == YIELD_PREMIUM_COATS || eYield == YIELD_BEER || eYield == YIELD_RUM || eYield == YIELD_WINE || eYield == YIELD_CIGARS || eYield == YIELD_WHALE_OIL || eYield == YIELD_FURNITURE)

The second question I don't get. What do you want to change?
The three yields you've mentioned shouldn't be quantity restricted.

Hm, no answers on the REF...

Still, if someone knows an answer, I'll be happy to be informed. :)

Another question is this:
Does bonuses gained from various sources stack?

For example, if I'm playing with the Mem de Sa (gaining 10% strength bonus to my Ship of the Line), and if I take Francois J.P. de Grasse as a FF (gaining another 10% strength bonus), will those two bonuses stack?

In Custom Game, what does option "Reduced REF" actually means?

REF (Forces of the King) will be reduced throughout the complete game.
Initial REF is less and King will increase it much less.

This however is actually more of a feature for beginners.

REF in RaR (and TAC) might seem really huge, but don't worry. :)

RaR (and TAC) use a different system for War of Independence:

King will not throw complete REF at you at once.
He will send it in waves and you will have time to recover in between.
(It is still meant to be challenging though, so try to prepare.)

Hm, no answers on the REF...

I can only answer to posts at the weekend.
(Unless I am on vacation.)

So please have a bit of patience. :)
(I will answer questions, don't worry.)

Forts cannot be builded in permafrost?

That is corrected now, thanks for mentioning. :thumbsup:

The problem is with the first three items: Food, Wood and Stone. Changes are not saved for them.

That is intentional / modded like that on purpose.
Food, Lumber, and Stone are not sold by Customhouse and thus the setting is reset after closing the Custom House Screen.

Is there any way to modify it in a file ?

Only if you are able to do programming.

What do you think of these ideas ?

Well, some of the ideas are quite interesting. :thumbsup:

But

1) I still have very big concepts lying around which I don't know if I might ever get to:

* Advances and Native Knowledge <-- a technology concept similar to Civ4(BtS)
* Civics <-- a civic concept similar to Civ4(BtS)

Those concepts might be much better suitable for something like "Abolition".

2) I have almost no time for modding left and still many "planned" important todos on my list for next releases

* Improving Combat System
* Improving AI considering buying / building / equipping military

3) I sometimes consider to build up a bigger team again but

* I don't know if I would be able to organize / support such a team again.
(Organization, support, quality control in a bigger team is absolutely necessary)

* I am not sure, if it would once more be possible to find a common vision for such a big team.
(Ideas and philosophies for modding of the remaining modders in the community have become extremely different.)

* Most of the modders currently around are motivated but still very unexperienced.
(They would need a lot of guidance and support.)

* The small "daily modding business" already eats up most of my available time for modding because the mod has already become so huge
(small improvments, bugfixing, answering posts in the forum, ...)

Edit:

I had once posted here about a good team composition for a project of the size of RaR.
With such a team we could probably enter into a phase of full development of the mod again and keep up stability and quality.

Otherwise, we will simply need to continue as we do and improve and add in small steps.

---------

Summary:

Implementation of new ideas will mainly depend on man power available in the team.
(Most importantly skilled and experienced modders.)

If the current team situation stays as it is, we will need to go step by step and those steps will be small.

If we build up a big team again, I am afraid that I will break down because of all the work that will result out of this.
(organization, discussions, quality control, testing, improving work of unexperienced modders, helping unexperienced modders, ...)

If we would build a big team and neglect all of this, we would ruin stability and quality of the mod, which I am not willing to accept.

That is a dilemma I don't have any solution for. :(

All I can currently do, is ask for patience.
I am doing as much as I can in the speed that I can.

REF (Forces of the King) will be reduced throughout the complete game.
Initial REF is less and King will increase it much less.

This however is actually more of a feature for beginners.

REF in RaR (and TAC) might seem really huge, but don't worry. :)

RaR (and TAC) use a different system for War of Independence:

King will not throw complete REF at you at once.
He will send it in waves and you will have time to recover in between.
(It is still meant to be challenging though, so try to prepare.)
Oh, so the REF is lowered all the way. Well, it might be useful if playing on, say, hardest difficulty but still don't want to build a thousand-unit army.

I'm not worried, currently playing on Conquistador difficulty, year is 1655., and I have about 40 land military units, some of them with 50+ exp. King has cca 260 land units, so I hope I will reach at least 2:1 ratio, which is usually enough if properly used.

But, thanks for the tips, yes it is a difference between being attacked with all at once and/or being attacked in waves.

I can only answer to posts at the weekend.
(Unless I am on vacation.)

So please have a bit of patience. :)
(I will answer questions, don't worry.)

No problem; I had more in mind that someone will answer, not necessarily you. :)

Btw, I believe no one ever could say even a word if you and your team don't do anything else in relation to this mod: it is already much more realistic, complex and fun than the vanilla game. :top:

The only thing that sometimes annoyed me is a fact that I don't gain bonuses from one nation in diplomatic screen when speaking on behalf of that nation. For example, if the Tupi tribe is near extinction (in war with Spain), and I convince Spain leader to sign peace, my relations with Tupi tribe are not better. But, that's a problem with all Civ4 based games.

We are currently planning to publish Release 2.1 in 2 or 3 weeks. :)

At that speed I&#8217;m not getting the chance to test it. I downloaded 1.9 and when found the gap to try it, version 2.0 came up. I have it ready now in my pendrive to be installed for next week end and you announce 2.1. I think I will be installing 2.0 anyway regardless next update.
Nice mod support all your team do!!

I have a small suggestion for UI improvement.

When the indians offer to give you a settlement, make it so that you can see where the settlement is. I often find that they offer me a settlement and I cant remember where that particular settlement is. Sometimes you dont want them to destoy your training center, sometimes you really want to get that pesky settlement out of the way.

Since it is in the diplomacy map screen it might not be possible to refocus the screen, but maybe change the text then. "Jamaica (Near XXX city, offer YYY profession for training)"

Hello, :)

I have a question related to the Exploration Points.

I'm playing a game with Samuel Chaplain, game speed Epic, Conquistador difficulty and year is 1678. I have explored every single tile on map, except one (it's unreachable for now). Following FF on Exploration Screen have joined me:

Jacques Marquette,
Peter Minuit,
G.J. De Quesada,
Pedro Alvarez Cabral,
Juan De Bermudez and
Lewis & Clark.

I have 2662 Exploration Points still "unused". Problem is, next FF (Alexander von Humboldt) requires 31500 EP,and following FFs even more - but I have nothing left to explore or village to talk to. For the record, I manage to speak with 90% of all tribal towns first.

So, how can I gain further EP?

So, how can I gain further EP?

Founding Father Points can be produced like building a unit or a building.

Which Mapsize did you play ?

Founding Father Points can be produced like building a unit or a building.

Which Mapsize did you play ?

OMG! That was quick! :D

Every unit or buliding?

Mapsize is Large, Low Sea Level. :)

P.S.

I have built 2 cathedrals and a tavern in last turn, and EP is not progressing... I have loaded old saves, and it remained the same for a while.

I'm playing version 2.0, maybe that could be the problem?

I'm playing version 2.0, maybe that could be the problem?

No, you simply misunderstood what I said. :)

I said "... like building a unit or a building.".
And not "... by building a unit or a building."

Founding Father Points themselves can be built.
(You can convert Hammers into Founding Father Points of a specific category.)

You can choose the production of FF points like the production for a building.

Attachments

• production_FF.jpg
    production_FF.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 383
@raystuttgart
@Schmiddie

Oh, but of course! I completely forgot about that... my apologize. :hammer2:

Well, my tendency of having high production rate in cities will now fully pay off... :goodjob:

It would be nice to have an alternative way of earning EP, (of course), but this is much better than nothing. Many thanx! :)

EDIT:
On the other hand, if someone is powerful enough to sacrifice production to gain EP, than this mechanism works nicely to prevent rich to be even richer.

Well, your problem is simply related to 2 aspects / settings of your game:

1) Mapsize "Large" --> much less (only about 15%) FF-Points for Exploration to be gained than in Mapsize "Gigantic"
2) Gamespeed "Epic" --> much more (2.5 times as many) FF-Points needed for a Founding Father than at Gamespeed "Normal" (because everything is supposed to develop slower)

If you had played Gamespeed "Normal" and Mapsize "Gigantic" the FF-Points for Exploration would have been balanced much better.
(All other categories - Religion, Trade, Military, Politics - are uncritical anyways.)

It is simply not possible to balance the game perfectly for all game settings. :dunno:
But since there is the workaround of converting hammers, there is no real problem anyways. :)

@raystuttgart

I see. Well, this info about map size makes things more clear now. :)

I started a new game with suggested parameters (out of curiosity, just to see how big it is) and I was really surprised - this "Gigantic" map is truly gigantic!

Anyway, thanks for the info. :)

To dmalleus - If you don't mind technically cheating, here's a workaround I use (Since I generally play large or huge maps on epic or marathon) - go into worldbuilder, tell it to unreveal all tiles, and then you can explore again for additional exploration points (or buy maps from other europeans). I don't usually like cheating (unless it is propping up the other europeans every 100 turns or so with additional ships and military to make it more interesting), but this feels more like a workaround and rebalancing of mapsizes, and it makes sense to renew the exploration route for gaining exploration points. :)

Hey, ray, I remember having a list of all the mods and code that was added to R&R and I also remember there being something said about AI improvements, except I currently cannot find it. I upgraded to windows 8 a while back and it started deleting all my old stuff without me realizing it, but I digress.

Where is this list and what all was done to improve the AI, as far as Trading, Diplomacy, and Military?

Top Bottom