Deity cultural

yanner39

Emperor
Hey everyone,

Playing my first deity game, going for culture off the bat. I was killing it on Immortal but the Deity AI seems to be a whole lot different.

It's a continents map, standard speed. I'm not looking for advice on how to get a culture win but more about info on the AI. On my continent, I have me as Ethiopia, Polynesia, France and Japan.

Japan is wonder whoring, something I have never seen on lower levels, even Immortal. He managed to get many of the religious wonders, the Uffizi, etc...I honestly can't compute in my mind how this is even possible.

Anyways, I'm wondering if it's even worth continuing because of the wonder whoring? I think I'm at turn 155. I know the AI can/will make questionable decisions, but as my fist deity game, I have to say it's pretty intimidating seeing all the wonders go.

I know I do have a religions in a lot of cities, producing a lot of faith which I will use to faith buy engineers for later wonders.

Any words of encouragement? I'd like to do this without warring.

Post SS and save and let's see if the game is still winnable by culture...

Its always winnable when you have the option of stealing them by force.

:D

Enviado de meu ST25a usando o Tapatalk 2

There are a variety of ways to deal with a culture- and wonder-spamming AI.
1) Build an army, go kill them and take them down, then keep the wonders for yourself.
2) Save up faith while building up your tourism and faith buy 3-5 great musicians once you get the internet and use them to tourism-bomb said civ.
3) Bribe another civ to take them out.
4) Get ahead of them in tech so you can build the next wonders before they can.

Anyways, I'm wondering if it's even worth continuing because of the wonder whoring? I think I'm at turn 155. I know the AI can/will make questionable decisions, but as my fist deity game, I have to say it's pretty intimidating seeing all the wonders go.

Get used to it :). You can give up on almost every early wonder, up to and including (sigh) Pisa (pretty often, at least). But if you cultivate your science you should open Modern before anyone, through Radio, and then pop a GE for Eiffel ... and if you maintain your lead, get the Statue of Liberty/Kremlin, Christi, Sydney Opera, etc.

So you can get lots of late wonders, and theoretically get Internet early enough that you can culture them to death. But it's not a gimme -- in some games the AI is generating over 250 culture/turn on turn 200, and even with Internet etc. it's a tough slog if they have a different ideology. Can take a little while, and if there's a breakout AI he may be about to build Apollo by turn 210, 220.

I highly recommend throwing some cash at Japan's neighbors, or even better, try to talk Japan into war. Might slow him down.

A game is winnable until an AI wins. Even on a Deity cultural game.

Last part of the game, after T200, is very different on Deity. Ideologies come sooner and put the world in war between each ideologies faction.

To win with culture, you need to build musician's guild at the end of the game when your tourism per turn.
More than wonders, thematic bonus and Aesthetics finisher are important. With only Louvre, Ermitage, Oxford and Museum you can win.Hotel, Airport, National visitor center and Internet will make the job. It's something like a T310-320 victory.
So you need a deny victory to AI. Go for Hubble, keep some CSally, and choose the good ideologies to avoid to be invade by a couple of AI.

A game is winnable until an AI wins. Even on a Deity cultural game.

Last part of the game, after T200, is very different on Deity. Ideologies come sooner and put the world in war between each ideologies faction.

To win with culture, you need to build musician's guild at the end of the game when your tourism per turn.
More than wonders, thematic bonus and Aesthetics finisher are important. With only Louvre, Ermitage, Oxford and Museum you can win.Hotel, Airport, National visitor center and Internet will make the job. It's something like a T310-320 victory.
So you need a deny victory to AI. Go for Hubble, keep some CSally, and choose the good ideologies to avoid to be invade by a couple of AI.

Hey Memoryjar, I'm planning a culture game as Ghandi and I found myself going back to your post. I've built nice wonders but I "wasted" a great engineer on the Uffizzi. This wonder is not worth it because it's hard to get the theming bonus.

So yeah, your post above is bang on. Atleast missing out on Uffizzi isn't a big deal.

I know I do have a religions in a lot of cities, producing a lot of faith which I will use to faith buy engineers for later wonders.

Any words of encouragement? I'd like to do this without warring.

I've been trying to score a CV on Deity for some time, and this evening am actually approaching a possible victory.

I think the general idea is to save the faith for musicians, not engineers, as after you've got Internet, the tourism output of the musicians is enough (or so the Deity guides claim) to rein in even the runaway civs.

As far as wonder whoring is concerned, to begin with Darius was getting them all, but I concentrated so hard on tech that from the renaissance onwards, it was ME that was the whore. It's usually easy to score Oracle onwards, but I am surprised that I have managed to get Louvre, Uffizi, Sistine, Chichen, Eiffel, Pisa, Hagia, Porcelain, Machu, Globe & Taj.

I got a very good start and settled 3 cities, finally cracking the tradition opener I have been struggling with for weeks.

I'd say that as long as you are ahead on tech and can handle the diplomacy while you slowly build tourism and GW, then you have a shot at winning. I certainly hope that after all the effort I put in to my current game that I can win!

[EDIT: I won on turn 261. The runaway needed only two great musicians to convince him to buy the jeans and bad music. I am very happy that the strategy works. Thanks to Deau for writing the guide I based my play on.]

Top Bottom