How to prevent a Diplomatic Victory? (MP)

jbui93

Chieftain
So I've been playing this game a lot with my friends and every time I lose it seems to be to a diplomatic victory.

I figure I should buy city states before the World Leader vote.
I tried this 1 turn before the World Leader vote and I only gained about 1-2 allies (spending about 1k gold on each city state). How do city states determine whether or not they want to be allies with me? Do I need to get them to max influence a few turns before buying alliance or is there something else?

In order to be at "allied" status with a specific city state, you need 2 things to happen:

1) You must have the highest influence out of all the civs on the map with that specific city state.
2) You must have at least 60 influence with that specific city state.

For example, if you have 45 influence with the city state, and you friend/opponent has 50 influence, than you will both be at "friends" status with the city state, but neither of you will be allied.
However, if you have 80 influence, and your friend has 160 influence, than your friend will be allied with the city state, and you will be stuck at "friends" until you can bring your influence up to at least 161 (greater than your friend's influence).

In order to be at "allied" status with a specific city state, you need 2 things to happen:

1) You must have the highest influence out of all the civs on the map with that specific city state.
2) You must have at least 60 influence with that specific city state.

For example, if you have 45 influence with the city state, and you friend/opponent has 50 influence, than you will both be at "friends" status with the city state, but neither of you will be allied.
However, if you have 80 influence, and your friend has 160 influence, than your friend will be allied with the city state, and you will be stuck at "friends" until you can bring your influence up to at least 161 (greater than your friend's influence).

I see, is there a way for me to see how much influence my friend has on a city state?

If you open up the diplomacy window hover your mouse over your status with the CS, it tells you how much influence you need to be an ally with them (not sure exactly which tab, as I use a modded UI. It might require you to open up the Allies tab and over over your current status with them). At that point, search through the CS's and find out which ones are easiest to get to maximize your spending.

Now, it may be best if you pay more attention to this in the future, so you aren't struggling to stop a diplomatic victory. It shouldn't be too tough to get enough CS's permanently to prevent this, and take advantage of those CS's perks.

Top Bottom