Ruff02 - Concurrent Succession Game

Ok, I'll post my start when I get home from work later today, but I do have a couple of minor requests to make of the rest of the team. If possible, could everyone turn on the resource markers and the grid, especially for these starting screenshots? I'm so used to playing with them on I have a hard time deciphering exactly what is going on when they are off. For example, in Mutineer's screenshot, I think I see fish, and I think they are out of the cities range, but I couldn't tell until I read the comments. (Yes, I did look at the pretty pictures first ;) ).

Thanks to anyone that can do this....and it's really only important to me for the beginning here.

This is what i got.

And this is my starting position.

As you can see we have plenty of food for fast growth which we'll probably need and some silk once we get calendar for any happiness problems we might encounter in the future. Looks like a decent start.

lurker's comment:
Heh heh ... good luck Ruff Hi ... not exactly a Training Day Game(tm), but pretty close. Have fun managing it.

:thumbsup:

ChrTh said:
lurker's comment:
Heh heh ... good luck Ruff Hi ... not exactly a Training Day Game(tm), but pretty close. Have fun managing it.

:thumbsup:

So what exactly is a training day game? I've seen it talked about around here, but I guess it was a Civ 3 thing, because I've not seen one for Civ 4.

chriseay said:
So what exactly is a training day game? I've seen it talked about around here, but I guess it was a Civ 3 thing, because I've not seen one for Civ 4.

We're probably not ready for a TDG in Civ 4 yet, unless Sirian or Sullla feel up to it; by the time we started them in Civ 3, Deity wins, while not common, were becoming more frequent; I don't know if we as a community have mined enough information about the game to be able to pass it on in a TDG.

Basically, you had one "instructor" and several students. Turns would rotate as normal, but every player would play each turn (but the person who was UP would be the game that was continued, not by choice as this game is). The instructor would then criticize (positive or negative) each player's turn for what they did and didn't do.

Thanks for the explanation ChrTh! Now on to my start and leader.

It's an ok start...I'm happy with it but I suspect one out there will probably be better. And, by the way, I ended up with an arid climate and mild sea level.

PS - I assumed by all settings random we meant all settings other than starting era. I left that on ancient! ;)

Uh oh i only put archipelago as a map i didnt put everything else at random i just left it at default. i didnt know you could put it at random.

T_Raccoon said:
Uh oh i only put archipelago as a map i didnt put everything else at random i just left it at default. i didnt know you could put it at random.

Don't worry, it probably won't matter much.

An low the earth did put forth much water and upon the few specs of land did grow ... nothing much interesting.

But hark, did a leader spring from the unwashed peoples with beautiful wavy hair and a prediliction for far too much flirting?

Well... there you have it! Not much to be said beyond the pics. So I won't.:D

Ok... so I started a game...
and looky who turned ou... old montey- screeny # 1...
Montezuma0000.JPG
now montey is great for early warmongers, and combining that with an early religion is an awesome combo... However, I hate playing an early warmonger at monarch, since I pretty much suck at that.

anywhos, about the starting location-screeny # 2...
Starting Location0001.JPG
Well, two clams, and a banana in range, plus if we settle in place, we have a river for the health bonus, and at least four forests for the health and for choping... However, since montey doesnt start with fishing, we would need to sacrifice that early religion for fishing in order to get our whole potential from this city... Also, since Montey doesnt have mining, well have a prob at early chop-expand strategies. Another prob with the starting loc. is that I can see another sea starting next to the bananas, which could possible decrease the total land area around the city, which we might need in older periods...

well thats about it..
Happy saint pats. day,
-Spinoza--> Jew extraordinaire

We have 7 of the 8 starts in play. pholkhero has until tomorrow morning (about 11 hrs from now) to post, then we can discuss and vote on which start 'gets the nod'.

I've done the random number generator thingo and it has selected the following Team 1, Round 1 ...

pholkhero
bobrath
knupp715
Ruff_Hi

So, the balance is Team 2, Round 1 ...

Mutineer
chriseay
Spinoza
T_Raccoon

If there are any lurkers out there who want to join the alternate list, I will be more than happy to add you.

Sigh - I really wanted to do a poll but it appears that a poll can only be a new post and not a reply. Here are the candidates ...

Status
Ruff_Hi - Huayna Capac - posted here
bobrath - Catherine - posted here
knupp715 - Kublai Khan - posted here
chriseay - Cyrus - posted here
T_Raccoon - Gandhi - posted here
pholkhero - baaaaaaaaaa - too late.
Spinoza - Monezuma - posted here
Mutineer - Frederick - posted here

AAAAAAAAAAannnndddddd, my vote goes to Gandhi. I like the fact that his UU is around for the whole game (and useful). The start is good - 'just' on a river but with 3 food resources and on a hill for a production boost. I couldn't even consider my start as that island looks tiny. I might play it as a single player game just to see how frustrated I get. Please post your votes and discussion and we'll select a start and get this game cracking.

Vote Results to date ...
Ruff_Hi - Gandhi
bobrath -
knupp715 - Gandhi
chriseay - Gandhi
T_Raccoon - abstain
pholkhero -
Spinoza - Gandhi
Mutineer - Gandhi
Lurkers - 1 for Gandhi

Suggested time table is (all times Eastern USA) ...
Sat to Tue - Play, write up
Wed afternoon / evening - post
Thur - discuss
Fri - vote

With this timetable - you should be playing this game once every two weeks. Comments?

I'm thinking the best three starts are mine, Chriseay's, and T Raccoon's. So Cyrus, Ghandi, or Kublai.

I really don't like the expansive trait and therefore am not to sure to go with Cyrus, but that start looks really good and it doesn't look like that small of an island.

T Raccoon's start looks really good. Again it doesn't look like a tiny island and I agree with Ruff's statements about Gandhi's UU. I like this start better than Chriseay's so Cyrus is out.

Now for my start. I like Kublai's traits the best but Raccoon's start still looks better. My island looks like it may be bigger because you don't usually see a lot of jungle on small islands.

In the end my vote will either go for Kublai or Gandhi, but I'm going to wait for some more comments on them to sway my decision and my overall vote.

@Ruff - lurkers can vote too right? Maybe their votes should count as 1 and ours as 3?

knupp715 said:
@Ruff - lurkers can vote too right? Maybe their votes should count as 1 and ours as 3?
Yes. That sounds like a good ratio - sort of like a democrate vote in FL v a democrate vote in NY or CA. Finally, I am also planning to act as justice roberts here too - that is, I have the tie breaker vote if it goes to the supreme court. (I wish there was a smilie for manical laughter)

I'm voting for the Ghandi start as well, as based upon land it looks by far the best. I don't really like Ghandi's trait's....you feel too obligated to try to build wonders and go for religions I think.....but the fast worker may just be the best UU in the game. All in all I think that's the best one out there.

I'm also voting for Gahndi, thou I have comments about the two othe options that I can see happening;
1. Gahndi- Amazing location, and mining for those chop freaks:crazyeye:, plus an amazing UU= awesomeness.
2. Fred- very nice position, some resources, and also mining.. plus the panzer is also a top notch war UU.
3.Kubli- Nice location, and a decent leader, though I tend not to go for agr. leaders, since Im a slower starter, and I dont like warring from the begining. However, the possibility that we got a majorly huge island is a very nice plus, and the HA UU are also quite neat.

However, since Gahndi has the best location, and I like him the best (Imma mahatma ganhdi, wanna 2 bananaz fo dola?(indian accent), my vote goes to him!!!

Lurker Vote and Comment:

I'd have to vote for Ghandi. However, the start with Catherine doesn't look too bad, it could either be next to a fresh-water lake or end up being a canal city. Then again, there's a reason I'm almost on Prince... :mischief: Ghandi looks the best though, that's my opinion.

This Concurrent Succession Game Idea seems great, and I'm definately following this. I might start (my first) successsion game based on this concept, only on Prince level and designed for noobier players.

My final vote is...................hmmmmmm......................shhhhhhhh I'm trying to think.....................It's going to have to be..................dun dun dun dun Gandhi.

Top Bottom