Sisiutil's Strategy Guide for Beginners

adrian_finn said:
Great work! As a total newbie I would like some advice about the merits of 'Sid's Tips' - the blue circles showing where Settler or Worker should be heading next? Are these tips basically worthless and best to be ignored? For instance, it seemed in my first games that the dot mapping method leads to very different squares for the next city spot. I was trying to find some discussion about them in these forums but no luck. Thanks!

In general, they're "decent" - but they have some caveats. "Sid" sometimes likes to settle 1 tile from the coast (not realizing that a lighthouse can make 1F2C coast tiles 2F2C.) Also, "Sid" tries to balance production & commerce... but, as a player, you often would prefer an optimal commerce city or and optimal production city instead of a crowded bag. Finally, "Sid" optimizes resources, but often you can settle a city and be content to grab a resource in your second expansion instead of the fat cross. Still, don't discount the blue circles. Many times I've gone to settle a city, and seen a blue circle one tile away and realized, "Hey, that would be a better city!"

As for workers, they're almost always wrong. Build improvements on the tiles you can work now instead of later. Try to have your workers move only one tile so you can start an improvement without wasting a worker turn, and build improvements for what you want the city to do. :)

They're a decent enough guideline if you don't have any reason to do otherwise. If you do have a reason, ignore them freely.

armstrong said:
In general, they're "decent" - but they have some caveats. "Sid" sometimes likes to settle 1 tile from the coast (not realizing that a lighthouse can make 1F2C coast tiles 2F2C.) Also, "Sid" tries to balance production & commerce... but, as a player, you often would prefer an optimal commerce city or and optimal production city instead of a crowded bag. Finally, "Sid" optimizes resources, but often you can settle a city and be content to grab a resource in your second expansion instead of the fat cross. Still, don't discount the blue circles. Many times I've gone to settle a city, and seen a blue circle one tile away and realized, "Hey, that would be a better city!"

As for workers, they're almost always wrong. Build improvements on the tiles you can work now instead of later. Try to have your workers move only one tile so you can start an improvement without wasting a worker turn, and build improvements for what you want the city to do. :)
Couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

Thanks for the correction, Scaphism. I'll fix that in the next revision.

GUys,

How come the food in ocean tile is always 1. How do I improve it. All my cities near ocean cannot grow due to lacking food :(. Building a harbor does not help at all.

Thanks,

PeterM said:
GUys,

How come the food in ocean tile is always 1. How do I improve it. All my cities near ocean cannot grow due to lacking food :(. Building a harbor does not help at all.

Thanks,
Build a Lighthouse, which increases the food output of all water tiles by +1 (coast, ocean, lakes). A harbour increases health and trade routes, not food production.

Great guide Sisiutil. I'm not an "extreme" beginner, but I like to check out all of the resources out there.

Do you plan to update it for Warlords?

tyroneb97 said:
Great guide Sisiutil. I'm not an "extreme" beginner, but I like to check out all of the resources out there.

Do you plan to update it for Warlords?
Thanks!

I haven't purchased Warlords yet and probably won't do so for some time. When I get around to it, I will probably attempt to add an additional section dealing with it.

Me too can't open the file. Download it and I get attachment.php which is unable to open.

Regards,
Arto.

Nb: ups, now is ok. Thanks!

Artosoft said:
Me too can't open the file. Download it and I get attachment.php which is unable to open.

Regards,
Arto.

Nb: ups, now is ok. Thanks!
Yeah, for some reason if I right click/Save Target As a file on this board (as I would on any other), I get a useless .php file. But if I just left-click and then choose to save it, I can get it. Strange...

Very Useful guide. and its in simple language too. I'm new to the game [civ4 warlords] and struggling at noble level.
Is there a place in these forums for newbs to ask dumb questions ?
Is there a place for newbs to try multiplayer gaming without becoming just easy meat for the experts ?
again though I praise the clarity of your guide.
cheers ogno

interesting guide..I'm on a 6month journey in Asia, good access to internet, but not very likely to play some civ...(apart from a downloadable spin-off version called C-evo, a bit like civ2, but not the real thing, and boring after a while)...while uploading photos on the net I like to read a bit on my favourite hobby,and improve my skills for when I return. Very goodguide,very important to remember the basics..greetings from kathmandu

Ogno said:
Very Useful guide. and its in simple language too. I'm new to the game [civ4 warlords] and struggling at noble level.
Is there a place in these forums for newbs to ask dumb questions ?
Is there a place for newbs to try multiplayer gaming without becoming just easy meat for the experts ?
again though I praise the clarity of your guide.
cheers ogno
Thanks for the kind words and welcome to CFC!

I don't play multiplayer and can't help you there, but here's a very good thread for newbie questions:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=4720602

Try asking about multiplayer (or anything) there.

Allow border for border early in the game.It keeps a certain sense of peace while you gather information. In certain cases refuse all exchange with an advisary, like the ones youe friends do not like._______Warbeast.

Revised, December 22nd, 2006

The guide is now at version 2.0 and includes, at long last, several pointers relevant to the Warlords expansion pack! As well as several revisions including clarification, expansion, and reorganization of existing sections.

nice guide
Thanks! My wife and I had our honeymoon in Turkey, by the way. Lovely country, we're anxious to go back there someday.

Top Bottom