The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #1

@glory7:

Spoiler :

Well, my plan was to fwdsettle too. The problem was that there was a handaxe between the two cities, and I only had an injured warrior close to Gao, so didn't really want to risk it. Osaka location is not bad tho, the city ain't gonna be huge with liberty anyway :) That would be the 4th city in your case, but I guess that wount matter that much.

I will give it a try tho, its good that I had not opened piety already at least :D I only got collective rule recently. I guess I should make two archers and then follow up with the settlers and see how it goes.

I played this game up to turn 80. I took out Songhai around turn 65 and did not seem to get as much warmonger hate as expected. After the war I explored the map and noticed it was going to be a bit of a slog to go domination. Im 1st in Manf Goods and GNP and 5% behind in tech. All the civs that I met have no gold. I went straight honor this time and will finish it with my next SP. My SPT was +19 at turn 80 but on Immortal this is not a problem. I may finish it later.

I played this game up to turn 80. I took out Songhai around turn 65 and did not seem to get as much warmonger hate as expected. After the war I explored the map and noticed it was going to be a bit of a slog to go domination. Im 1st in Manf Goods and GNP and 5% behind in tech. All the civs that I met have no gold. I went straight honor this time and will finish it with my next SP. My SPT was +19 at turn 80 but on Immortal this is not a problem. I may finish it later.

Full honor! That's the right way to go with Japan! :goodjob:

T180 CV

Spoiler :
I gave it another try, this time Stonehendge on T38.
Almost didn't get second culture building as I was a bit late to enhance (got Pagoda and Monastery).

Spoiler :

Won on T180, 22 cities - Venice took 2 of em, because all my army was next to Assyria guarding the chokepoints, as he was hostile, so when the backstab came, I could not do much. Still I paid Assyria to declare, so they get a bit softer to accept peace.

The 2 cities probably cost some turns.
Finished liberty on T179 (probably because I stopped with the monuments after the reformation, but I had serious GPT issues (so I was making markets) + happiness issues. Think I made a mistake with stagnating the cities at one. 2-4 would be OK.

In order to beat T300 with only 4 cities you usually need the following or a combination thereof:

Multiple rounds of RA's with PT and Rationalism policy
Lots of faith for purchasing GS's
Good GS generation throughout the game (policies and buildings that enhance GP rate)
Hubble

It's hard to come in much below T300 without these. It also helps greatly to have gold to rush buy science buildings (in your capital at least) as soon as you research the tech, and to have cities next to mountain tiles for the observatory (particularly your capital).

Thats not really true. I always beat it under T300, do not do any RA, rarely have faith to buy more than 2 GS.

GS generation - you don't need more than garden and national epic. Pisa is something I never have in my games. Rest comes from policies.
And Hubble ... Well I don't think I ever played a game, where I was going for SV and didn't have hubble. You should be way ahead of the AI when you research Sattelites, so you always get it, even if you build it and don't use GE for it.

Spoiler :
T68: I stole a worker from Askia, and was slow to explore – I was 3 deep into Tradition before I realized what a great Liberty map this was. I didn’t see the 9 iron until turn 65ish. I must take his capital, and plan to set a city on the coast N of Sofia next to the bananas. Assyria will come for me, and that spot is very defensible, and has 2 fish and an atoll, 2 bananas, 2 lux, and horsies. (I saw a Ram coming like 40 turns ago, so stopped my Scout and blocked his S route towards Sofia. Now have a Spear on the N end, he is making no moves yet.)

I went Scout, Shrine (wanted a quick Patheon - Religious Idols again, but was like 5th, ugh), Scout, and started Granary but switched to Settler at pop 3 to nab the river gold and buy tiles towards him. His units prevented it, so I was stuck taking the coast by the truffles. Then Spearman, Settler, 4 Archers and finally Granary. Mil CS’s gave me another Spear and Archer, so 2 Spear, 6 Archer (Scout upgrade), Scout, and Warrior with Altitude, and I am still only 6th in Mil LOL (although some are wounded, probably 4th or so). I am about to upgrade to some CB’s. Killed his GG outside the city (he went Honor).

Ruins were culture, Pottery, Archer upgrade, and camps. I teched hard down low to find iron early, so don’t even have writing on t68. (Growth is slow on my satellites, somewhat on purpose.) T108-9 I found 2 ruins near Venice, 5 and 7 tiles away (culture and pop)! I bet the coastal ruin I saw near him is still there, sent a boat and finally met Haile, still 2 civs to meet.

Later – Got my 4th city. Assyria and Pac both denounced me hard after I took Gao, but I couldn’t resist having met only them. I took Tithe and Asceticism (1 happy Temples, meh, I know, but needed happy). I am playing this game the way I always used to play before reading Deity guides, and it is much more fun for me… Tradition and 2 Piety, loves me some cheap and double strong faith! I am likely to get 1-2 more policies before Ren, I am slow to tech. Might get 2 happy Temples due to Wide bias now, and always want Itinerant preachers to pump more pressure. Might be able to convert Assyria and Venice. Can finally build NC and WG now, but will pump one settler first – worried Pac will move in. Will settle behind the river.

I have kept my cities pretty small, and am prioritizing Shrine, Granary, Temple. I haven’t even built Lighthouses in cap or Osaka yet. I am going to pump out 2 Settlers now to nab the red dot locations - both are loaded and I should have 4 trading partners. I will likely settle near Venice too, and eventually S on my peninsula. Woulda been a great Liberty setup – I actually considered going full Liberty after Tradition, like Cas did in the Persia game.

Attachments

• 2014-07-26_00012_sm.jpg
    2014-07-26_00012_sm.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 586
  • 2014-07-26_00016_sm.jpg
    2014-07-26_00016_sm.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 587
After losing the last deity challenge to a late game DOW I need a win.
Spoiler :
open with a scout, hit a pop ruin on turn 2, my capital is to sparse to support a tradition start so I decide on a liberty start but then I run in a Venice scout on around turn 8. I bet I'm not the only one who is going to try a SS, worker steal around turn 20 from assuriban and then another from a cs nearby. Start SH production and chop it out on or about turn 40. Start popping out settlers but around turn 65 I get double Dowed by Songhai and Assur. I end up losing Sakasura which was placed west of my capital on the tuffles next to the diamonds. But I citadel bomb Songhai and take both his spices and dyes. I pillage a few more of his trade routes and he's begging for peace. My religion is church property with padagonias and monasteries with Itenerent preachers as an enhancer. Turn 119 I'm going to take a break. I have 10 cities with room for a few more I'm going to enhance in a few turns this is going to work. Church property really works well withe a lot of small cities

Update
Spoiler :
Darius picked up SS 3 turns before me, damn it

Spoiler :
I played this game just to kinda relax and for some fun. Sometimes it boggles me that anyone can struggle with Imm Level on Civ V (BNW or not). You really can just do whatever you want and win on this map. I've had some Imm games seem like Imm but this game feels like Emp or below. I understand we all play different ways and for different reasons but (IMO) if anyone has any experience with Civ at all this map is very easy. Even if your new all you need to do is learn some basic things and this should be a breeze. I am up to turn 190 in my game not even trying or caring about anything. I think Im 7% behind in tech but it appears the AI is not able to expand or build any army whatsoever. Yes it will take me some time to destroy the Inca and Venice since my tech rate is in the cellar but I really see no way the AI can come close to winning this game. I will most likely finish it since I like to finish my games out but this one is testing my patience. Im kinda just waiting for the AI to do something but all the Civs seem to be blocked or do not have good terrain to mount any kind of attack on me. I did get double dowed by Inca and Venice but they really never showed up and I think they sorta just wanted Kabul. Also I guess they were mad I took out 2 civs for the most part leaving Assyria only 1 city left. I play alot of my games with no intention of being optimal in hopes the AI can destroy me but even when I let the AI have a hudge edge they just never seem to take advantage of it no matter if it is Deity or Immortal. Anyway, it is still fun to post and read all your posts and see how everyone plays it out. I like how you optimal players got your CV victories by turn 140-180. That is pretty funny. I just feel that we should not be allowed to push the game to turn 400 on Imm and still win although I did not create this game and if that is how they want it I guess that is how it is going to be.

Attachments

• Emp or Imm.jpg
    Emp or Imm.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 162
Spoiler :
I played this game just to kinda relax and for some fun. Sometimes it boggles me that anyone can struggle with Imm Level on Civ V (BNW or not). You really can just do whatever you want and win on this map. I've had some Imm games seem like Imm but this game feels like Emp or below. I understand we all play different ways and for different reasons but (IMO) if anyone has any experience with Civ at all this map is very easy. Even if your new all you need to do is learn some basic things and this should be a breeze. I am up to turn 190 in my game not even trying or caring about anything. I think Im 7% behind in tech but it appears the AI is not able to expand or build any army whatsoever. Yes it will take me some time to destroy the Inca and Venice since my tech rate is in the cellar but I really see no way the AI can come close to winning this game. I will most likely finish it since I like to finish my games out but this one is testing my patience. Im kinda just waiting for the AI to do something but all the Civs seem to be blocked or do not have good terrain to mount any kind of attack on me. I did get double dowed by Inca and Venice but they really never showed up and I think they sorta just wanted Kabul. Also I guess they were mad I took out 2 civs for the most part leaving Assyria only 1 city left. I play alot of my games with no intention of being optimal in hopes the AI can destroy me but even when I let the AI have a hudge edge they just never seem to take advantage of it no matter if it is Deity or Immortal. Anyway, it is still fun to post and read all your posts and see how everyone plays it out. I like how you optimal players got your CV victories by turn 140-180. That is pretty funny. I just feel that we should not be allowed to push the game to turn 400 on Imm and still win although I did not create this game and if that is how they want it I guess that is how it is going to be.

Spoiler :
You seem to be taking some aspects used on a couple really fast CV wins, but not the critical part. I have a feeling you will be in trouble, as you do not appear to be in good position for any victory condition.

They built tons of cities to take advantage of a faith belief that gives 2-4 tourism a turn (sacred sites reformation). You did not get such a belief, so those cities are not helping you towards a culture victory. And since the game is getting late, it'll take a lot more tourism to win now.

Spoiler :
You seem to be taking some aspects used on a couple really fast CV wins, but not the critical part. I have a feeling you will be in trouble, as you do not appear to be in good position for any victory condition.

They built tons of cities to take advantage of a faith belief that gives 2-4 tourism a turn (sacred sites reformation). You did not get such a belief, so those cities are not helping you towards a culture victory. And since the game is getting late, it'll take a lot more tourism to win now.

Spoiler :
I have played 100s and 100s of games like this and never have a problem winning. It takes longer but trust me I am in no jeopardy of a loss. If you ever look at any of my games posted on Deity or Imm you will find I have a knack of making the game go very long and still win with no real trouble. I will finish this game just to show you that this game is truly over. I really do not know what the AI is doing but I am #2 in Army and #1 in GNP along with #3 in Manf Goods and really not very far behind. Atilla is fighting Ethiopia and Venice is no threat. Yes maybe the Inca could do something but they have no army and are running around with swords and Comp bows still. I had an Imm game awhile back that went to like turn 375 as Austria. Alex was a bit of a threat and I think he was only 1 or 2 turns away from SV but I beat him to that as well. I have never lost an Immortal game so I would have to disagree with your comment. I have lost Deity games but only because I mess around a bit too much. Those losses were very close and if I decided to play a bit more serious I would have not even come close to them as well. I think it has been proven many times over that it is basically impossible to lose at this game on any level if you are slightly serious. I win all the time and I basically waste 100s of turns doing whatever I want. I played a Deity Challenge awhile back as Alex and won via DV with a worse position than this and that was on Deity and I gave away 2 out of my 4 cities at the end to get peace to take control of the CS's that I was blocked from war. Take a look back a few pages at Greece Deity Challenge. Anyway like I said you have given me a reason to finish and post a pic of the end of this game and I really hope I do get defeated :)

Spoiler :
I have played 100s and 100s of games like this and never have a problem winning. It takes longer but trust me I am in no jeopardy of a loss. If you ever look at any of my games posted on Deity or Imm you will find I have a knack of making the game go very long and still win with no real trouble. I will finish this game just to show you that this game is truly over. I really do not know what the AI is doing but I am #2 in Army and #1 in GNP along with #3 in Manf Goods and really not very far behind. Atilla is fighting Ethiopia and Venice is no threat. Yes maybe the Inca could do something but they have no army and are running around with swords and Comp bows still. I had an Imm game awhile back that went to like turn 375 as Austria. Alex was a bit of a threat and I think he was only 1 or 2 turns away from SV but I beat him to that as well. I have never lost an Immortal game so I would have to disagree with your comment. I have lost Deity games but only because I mess around a bit too much. Those losses were very close and if I decided to play a bit more serious I would have not even come close to them as well. I think it has been proven many times over that it is basically impossible to lose at this game on any level if you are slightly serious. I win all the time and I basically waste 100s of turns doing whatever I want. I played a Deity Challenge awhile back as Alex and won via DV with a worse position than this and that was on Deity and I gave away 2 out of my 4 cities at the end to get peace to take control of the CS's that I was blocked from war. Take a look back a few pages at Greece Deity Challenge. Anyway like I said you have given me a reason to finish and post a pic of the end of this game and I really hope I do get defeated :)

Spoiler :
You have no need to be so defensive. I said it " I have a feeling you will be in trouble", not that you definitely are. The pace of your game, by your science and what not, is for a minimum of a turn 350 victory, which definitely is slow enough to lose. Most people at your pace would lose, but I did not know that you are purposefully playing around for a late game comeback.

Spoiler :
You have no need to be so defensive. I said it " I have a feeling you will be in trouble", not that you definitely are. The pace of your game, by your science and what not, is for a minimum of a turn 350 victory, which definitely is slow enough to lose. Most people at your pace would lose, but I did not know that you are purposefully playing around for a late game comeback.
Spoiler :

Im not being defensive and Im probably not going SV although I will do that if I get lazy as usual. Im just saying that I am not as far behind as you may think. I played the game 30 more turns and am getting up PS's now. Im pressing into Cusco about to take it down. My point is after I take Inca and Venice out I see no way of losing. I always planned to take them down a long time ago but I just am very slow at doing it in hopes of a better fight. I've won many of games with only around 600spt. My point is the bench marks people have set and play by are nowhere near what is needed to win this game. When you say you think I may be in trouble I really don't see it. I mean how is any other Civ really gonna win? The Huns and Ethiopia are in a deadlock war and the Inca and Venice are about to be history. I'll most likely ally up with the Huns after Ideology and take out Ethiopia for some fun. Also my FPT is high enough now to buy plenty of GS's down the road. PT almost finished and everyone knows we get Hubble no matter what. Also the AI is really doing poor with combat on this map. I've seen the AI do a much better job in war but this map seems to be hurting them very much.

Spoiler :
I played this game just to kinda relax and for some fun. Sometimes it boggles me that anyone can struggle with Imm Level on Civ V (BNW or not). You really can just do whatever you want and win on this map. I've had some Imm games seem like Imm but this game feels like Emp or below.

Spoiler :
I hear you - this game feels just like my old games on Emperor a year or two ago. I would just do almost whatever I wanted. It is much more fun for me, from the immersive aspect, more of a sense of really building a civilization, rather than trying to optimize every single thing. Sure, I still micromanage workers, tiles, and slots, but it is much more like play than a grueling endurance battle, which is what the deity games have been feeling like.

T185 - I have had the tech lead forever, and am 1st except military and happy. I am playing a wide Tradition game by accident, LOL. (Trying to keep sats at pop 12 or so, my cap is food poor.) Venice hadn't even met anyone the first 140 turns or so! Pacal and Assyria DOW'd me, and Pacal just ran into my Antwerp buzzsaw, losing a GP and 3 Missionaries trying to reconvert it while at war (huh?). Venice puppeted Kabul, so I lost that allied flank, but who cares? Attila apparently killed Persia, and Heile is obviously going to lose 2 of his 4 cities to him. Assyria seemed to pose a bit of a threat - a much earlier DOW would have been tough, but I didn't even need to defend my western city - I just fought it out near his border because I could. He just gave me his second city for peace - huh? I could never have taken his cap without Artillery. My only real risk is if Attila starts to covet my new land, but I have so much tithe and trade cash that I should be able to own most of the CS's before long, without any Patronage...

OK, so the biggest threat is that I grow bored and quit early Modern Era, because that's what I almost always did in the past. :lol:

Attachments

• 2014-07-27_00007.jpg
    2014-07-27_00007.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 534
Spoiler :
I went liberty wide. Started by wandering north; starting location looks like a good spot for an eventual expo, but not so much for a capital. Turn 1 culture hut; turn 2 upgrade hut; turn 3 found Gao. Settled on the riverside grassland hill. Askia was generous enough to move his worker within range of my spear, so turn 5 DOW.

Build order went something like Scout->Monument->Shrine->Scout->Archers->Settlers->Archers->Settlers->Archers->Pyramids

Tech order was fairly meandering. Most of my gold went towards buying tiles.

Settled six additional cities by ~105; one north of Sofia; one north of Gao (E-SE of the marble; I didn't discover Krakatoa until the border there expanded to the marble); one east of Gao (1W of the deer); one for the truffles (1 SW of the truffles); one for the old capital site (on the hill between the two cows); and a final one south east of Zurich, on the coastal hill 1W of the lone mountain, with enough gold on hand to buy the sheep/horses.

My biggest mistake in this game was choosing an inferior pantheon. I had no real intention of pursuing religion hard; towards that end, I chose fishing boat pantheon. While I did eventually grab a religion, it was only shortly before Dondaldo began mass converting my region, and I was too poorly positioned to stop him.

I should have taken sacred path (+culture from jungle); with no intention of pushing a religion, a delayed benefit such as the pantheon I chose, or +culture from plantations, was a waste. I only got something like three fishing boats up by the time Dondaldo came around. Meanwhile, I worked several jungle tiles across my three jungle cities, especially in the two jungle expos. Tons of culture lost for not nearly enough hammers gained.

Below is the only screencap I have from the game. Looks like Askia wanted to go settler v. settler. I'm happy to take a free worker for my new expo. A close look will show that I also have a settler north of Gao; the worker NW of Kyoto is headed there, and Askia's sacrificial settler couldn't have come at a better time.

OK, so the biggest threat is that I grow bored and quit early Modern Era, because that's what I almost always did in the past.
Modern era? What's that. I usually can't make it past the renaissance.

Haven't tried Immortal since the first week of G&K but saw that Glory's SS145 headline and as I've never tried SS I thought I might try that and failed miserably so I ended up with T206 domination.

Pics added.

Spoiler :

My origal thought was that there's a nearby faith NW so I started SH way too late and missed it and since I didn't have a plan B I was like Cartman, Screw this, I'm going home but ultimately decided to just kill stuff instead. Plan C was to follow the original Total Domination Challenges but as I already messed up the start I though some bonus rules would make things more lively.

optional extras:

-no peace deals
-no annexing
-no puppets apart from capitals, other cities razed immediately
-allied with all CSs
-no Nationals apart from NC
-no Education
-no tech stealing
-no Workshops (none built)
-all own cities starved to 1 pop or as close as possible (at the end I had 4,2,2,1.1.1)

Stole a worker from Askia on T11 and from Assur few turns later. Early ruins were pop,spearman, cult, map & money. Since I was looking for the NW I messed the start badly and ~T50 decided what to do with the game.
Left side of Liberty for starters with 4 cities & then full Honor starting with left side.
T79 DoF with Venice, T90 DoF with Ethiopia to get some badly needed cash before properly starting the wars as first city I took was Gao T97.
NC T97 & CS T108 so I was fairly late by any standard and Honor finished T119.

Askia RIP T139 for which I got quite a few honorary mentions by others. T140 DoW Persia while I was finishing Assyria off hoping that Florence would take their last city but no such luck.
T142 the Inca after settling a platform city near Kilimanjaro. T145 Venice went Renaissance so I put my spy on Kyoto but he never caught anyone in the act.
T148 got bored with Florentine inefficiency and wiped Assyria out most of my Western troops banging on Persian doors.
T159 RIP Persia and Attila was getting annoyed with me so I DoWed him on T161 by which point he supposedly had the largest army though he had been constantly at war with either Darius or Haile for most of the game.
T163 RIP the Inca while half of Eastern army was already heading for Venice.

T165 I had most of CSs by Haile's border allied so I DoWed him & Venice hoping that CSs would do something useful but no, the lazy cretins were totally uninterested in wars. The same turn I planted a troll city 4 tiles away from Venice just get past his GW by GG bombing which worked nicely but taking the city down took a while.
T187 RIP Venice & T199 RIP Ethiopia both without any trouble nor did I expect any.
By this time I was slowly recovering from double digit negative happiness, still losing money & looking for the last 2 CSs while waiting my cities to starve. I didn't much think of the starvation process so I took ages for my capital to empty it's surplus bucket which slowed the process down for some 10 turns.
T206 my cities were as small as they'd get so I allied the maritime CSs and took Attila's court.

Hardly a tough game by any means but interesting middle part as I was constantly over the unit limit which meant crappy production and huge upkeep cost which isn't a desirable combo.
The original plan of overwhelming religion got suffocated but I managed finally a pantheon T52 and religion around T100 which I spread for my own cities for production bonus and eventually spawned a couple of prophets to do some CSs quests. Didn't even check what other religions were about. Venice, the Inca & Persia went Piety from the start while Songhai & Assyria Honor possibly due to my early DoW.

Haven't tried Immortal since the first week of G&K but saw that Glory's SS145 headline and as I've never tried SS I thought I might try that and failed miserably so I ended up with T206 domination.

Pics added.

Spoiler :

My origal thought was that there's a nearby faith NW so I started SH way too late and missed it and since I didn't have a plan B I was like Cartman, Screw this, I'm going home but ultimately decided to just kill stuff instead. Plan C was to follow the original Total Domination Challenges but as I already messed up the start I though some bonus rules would make things more lively.

optional extras:

-no peace deals
-no annexing
-no puppets apart from capitals, other cities razed immediately
-allied with all CSs
-no Nationals apart from NC
-no Education
-no tech stealing
-no Workshops (none built)
-all own cities starved to 1 pop or as close as possible (at the end I had 4,2,2,1.1.1)

Stole a worker from Askia on T11 and from Assur few turns later. Early ruins were pop,spearman, cult, map & money. Since I was looking for the NW I messed the start badly and ~T50 decided what to do with the game.
Left side of Liberty for starters with 4 cities & then full Honor starting with left side.
T79 DoF with Venice, T90 DoF with Ethiopia to get some badly needed cash before properly starting the wars as first city I took was Gao T97.
NC T97 & CS T108 so I was fairly late by any standard and Honor finished T119.

Askia RIP T139 for which I got quite a few honorary mentions by others. T140 DoW Persia while I was finishing Assyria off hoping that Florence would take their last city but no such luck.
T142 the Inca after settling a platform city near Kilimanjaro. T145 Venice went Renaissance so I put my spy on Kyoto but he never caught anyone in the act.
T148 got bored with Florentine inefficiency and wiped Assyria out most of my Western troops banging on Persian doors.
T159 RIP Persia and Attila was getting annoyed with me so I DoWed him on T161 by which point he supposedly had the largest army though he had been constantly at war with either Darius or Haile for most of the game.
T163 RIP the Inca while half of Eastern army was already heading for Venice.

T165 I had most of CSs by Haile's border allied so I DoWed him & Venice hoping that CSs would do something useful but no, the lazy cretins were totally uninterested in wars. The same turn I planted a troll city 4 tiles away from Venice just get past his GW by GG bombing which worked nicely but taking the city down took a while.
T187 RIP Venice & T199 RIP Ethiopia both without any trouble nor did I expect any.
By this time I was slowly recovering from double digit negative happiness, still losing money & looking for the last 2 CSs while waiting my cities to starve. I didn't much think of the starvation process so I took ages for my capital to empty it's surplus bucket which slowed the process down for some 10 turns.
T206 my cities were as small as they'd get so I allied the maritime CSs and took Attila's court.

Hardly a tough game by any means but interesting middle part as I was constantly over the unit limit which meant crappy production and huge upkeep cost which isn't a desirable combo.
The original plan of overwhelming religion got suffocated but I managed finally a pantheon T52 and religion around T100 which I spread for my own cities for production bonus and eventually spawned a couple of prophets to do some CSs quests. Didn't even check what other religions were about. Venice, the Inca & Persia went Piety from the start while Songhai & Assyria Honor possibly due to my early DoW.

Lol crazy!

And congrats to the first domination victory! Would want to see an LP of this madness! XD

Crazy perhaps but one does peculiar things to keep the interest up and still I doubt an LP of this sort of game would be particularly interesting to look at. It's essentially a std domination with less of money, happiness & units or to put it simply - everything. Probably the most interesting thing in the whole game was the 9-iron tile beside Gao. Due to the map lots of time was spent on moving tropps as I couln't afford to build roads anywhere but to Gao & Assur outside my original 4 cities. On Immortal there's still no fear of losing so it's just a matter of time & patience.
The tech rate is very slow but even that doesn't change the outcome much. Surely taking cities with 40+ def is slow but it was equally slow with xbows at -20 happiness. Deity would be another matter but most likely doable.

Building NC was an instinct after I realized my original plan wouln't work at all but on hindsight not needed in any way. Instead of Philosophy I would've gone straight to machinery roughly on the same turn.
I also would've build few more own cities to keep the road network going as now with all the space available Attila decided to ICS from T140 which was highly annoying though I admit I wasn't paying much attention what the others were doing and still pretty much all units I lost were due to me moving a unit which I though was selected but was not.

Spoiler :
A quick update of my game. As usual I stall pretty much everything and have no real plan. Ill most likely just go SV or DV eventually. I am never in a hurry to win. Once again I hope the AI will attack me and take me out. Every time they show up with 6 frigates at my capital they never bring any units to capture. This time they didn't even bother to try to bring down my walls so I just used 1 Art and the city to kill all of them and get the free gold. I see my win turn time around 375 but I might try to see if I can push it past 400. Pic below of capture of most of Inca. I wish I could actually build a real empire like you Nigel but I just basically build some units and buildings and see what happens. I don't have hardly anything this game which is funny. No Factories, No Nat Epic Or EIC and no IW either. I think I have about 15 wonders the AI has built me but I really am a lazy bastard, even more so than usual this game! So far my SPs are full Honor, full Trad, Full Ratio and opened Order. I think I have 8 CS allies.

Attachments

• 16 unhappy.jpg
    16 unhappy.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 141
Spoiler :
Pic below of capture of most of Inca. I wish I could actually build a real empire like you Nigel but I just basically build some units and buildings and see what happens.

Spoiler :
LOL, FA. I do like all the carnage in your pic. Me, I am just like a kid at the mall, walking from window to window. I am not even bothering with Oxford, and am actually avoiding Plastics until my rat finisher. I don't even have Pub Schools in all my cities, and have been thinking of stopping working specialists to catch up on some buildings. I even stopped growing my cap, haha. My northern cities are amazing, and for the first time ever Krakatoa is being worked. It's usually in the middle of some ocean.

I am sitting on about 8 arch sites, I don't have any Museums built yet for artifacts. I am going to build a Landmark for everybody if I can, too bad Venice's is 4 tiles away, LOL. Mil CS's are giving me Arty and Cav, and I have hardly upgraded any other units, there just seems no need. I proposed World Ideology (Order) and I might get the votes if nobody else picks an Ideology. Well, I might win the vote anyway. My only real bee-line was to RR for Neuschwanstein. I went Refrigeration just to build a few subs for funsies, Hubble can wait.

I did learn a few things - upgraded Samurai can't build boats (lucky I had one hidden under a GG), and Theocracy's 25% gold is very powerful, like a Commerce open for every city with a Temple. I am building yet 2 more cities to get more coal and oil...

I Move warrior up - did not see anything interesting, move settle one tie down - see cows, move it on silver - see second cow. So I settle on silver.

Build order went like 2 scouts, shrine, granary, scout, archer, archer spear.

After easy worker steal I decided to try honor/piety opening, went like piety honor, piety, honor, honor, piety, piety, finish honor finish piety.

I build 4 cities, all coastal, every one with as min 1 unique lux, keep neighbor in one city stealing all his workers/settlers.

Did not build any wanders except trying for grate light house and loosing it by 1 turn.
(actually I loose 2 wanders I build with GE later in that game...)
When I finished honor I took neighbor capital. Next turn all hell broke loose.

I had 3 declaration of friendship before I took capital, with Venice, North right neighbor (Do not remember his name) and Persia.

Next turn after I took capital, Venice and other neighbor declare war and come with wave after wave of units. In slow, slog process I was cleaning wave of there units, take city and then next wave of better unit will come. What was making it harder, then all this units were coming by way of getting free mountain promotion, so they move 2 steps try mountain forest, and got know how many steps for horse units.

as Result I was loosing too many units when next wave come. Terran is actually very hard for domination, as sea make it impossible to press east by sea, one has to go around all continent. And by land it is narrow mountain passes.

Bottom line eventually I took over all left part of continent and currently working on Venice itself, but I am way behind tech, have about 20 cities.

I spend 3 GG on citadels and still have 7, one for every big city LOL.

All left part of continent divided between Persia and Ethiopia and I keep then fighting each other. Currently I am looking on first ever time win on immortal..
Spoiler :

Top Bottom