[REQ] Nubian Archer (06/25/06)

R

Rabbit, White

This unit was requested by Wyz_sub10 for CIV Gold (I think :)). I used this as reference.

It uses Archer's animations so point to Archer.kfm in the unit's art definition. Also, this unit does not support team colors unfortunately.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Nubian_Archer.zip
    82.7 KB · Views: 256
Rabbit, what can I say? Better than the archer in the game I swear! :goodjob:
Could I persuade you to do a 'Babylonian Bowman' of the same quality?? Please? ;)

Ploeperpengel said:
It also will be in what you see below:goodjob:
Lol Ploep, if you guys add every single unit I make, everytime I make it, you'll never release the next version of WHFB and people might start demanding I stop making units. :D

Rabbit said:
Lol Ploep, if you guys add every single unit I make, everytime I make it, you'll never release the next version of WHFB and people might start demanding I stop making units. :D
heh, I know I started and just can stop now. Currently it's harder to decide what to leave out than what to put in. But for putting in 180 MB of unitart into xml two or three more units really don't cause much more delay:crazyeye:

Thank you rabbit for giving me a scout using archer animation :p

seZereth said:
Thank you rabbit for giving me a scout using archer animation :p
Hehe, np :)
It's weird, the first time I tried it, and I did everything as usual, the guy wouldn't animated, he would just stand there in the Vitruvian Man pose. Then I tried again a week later and voila, it worked.

Prestidigitator said:
Quite good White Rabbit!
Wyz_sub10 you mentioned 'will be included' does that mean it's not already implemented in the your mod?

There is *a* Medjay Militia in the current Out of Africa mod, but it's crap. I'm going to change it with this version, so that Nubia will use it in Out of Africa and in CIV Gold 2.0. Hopefully I can do this tonight for OOA (Gold 2.0 should be released near month's end).

Prestidigitator said:
Quite good White Rabbit!
Wyz_sub10 you mentioned 'will be included' does that mean it's not already implemented in the your mod?
Do you mean the Ethnically Diverse Units mod? No, I haven't included it there because the only African (or at least African and dark skinned) civ in [civ4] already has a replacement for Archers - Mali Skirnisher. :)

Sorry guys :), I meant the Babylonian Bowman, is this already implemented in the CivGold mod?

And White Rabbit...
Do you plan to elaborate more on your Ethnically Diverse mod? It is *amazing* already but would you include ethnically diverse units for other civilizations too? like the Nubians or any Mesopotamian civ?

This would come handy when Warlords wouuld be released, and adding more civs into the game (meaning >18) would be easy.

Prestidigitator said:
Sorry guys :), I meant the Babylonian Bowman, is this already implemented in the CivGold mod?

And White Rabbit...
Do you plan to elaborate more on your Ethnically Diverse mod? It is *amazing* already but would you include ethnically diverse units for other civilizations too? like the Nubians or any Mesopotamian civ?

This would come handy when Warlords wouuld be released, and adding more civs into the game (meaning >18) would be easy.
Well, at this point the unique looks of of units are like styles, like the ones for buildings (that were in civ3 and are half-way there in civ4), so they aren't unique per civ but rather a group of civs that share a style. I feel that it's the best way to handle this because putting unique looking unit for each civ would be a big strain on the computer. On the other hand it gives plenty of variety. Add to that true unique units, as well mods that add 2nd and maybe 3rd UU and you've got plenty of variety to go around without making the game unplayable on slower systems.

Oh and it just occured to me, if you were talking about adding units to civs that don't exist in vanilla, then the answer is no, at least not for a while. Basically I'm not gonna touch any custom civs until I feel that it's 90+% done for the vanilla ones. Besides, after that it'll be the civs for warlords anyway.

That is not to say I will not make units for these civs at all (if somebody gives me good resources/idea on a interesting babylonian unit, or something, I might very well do it) but it won't be directly in the EDU mod.

Hmm... I can't get it to work. It shows up as a normal archer. Here's the ArtDef code:
Code:
<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_NUBIAN_COMP</Type>
			<fScale>0.44</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
			<NIF>Art/Units/Nubian_Archer/nubian_archer.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Units/Archer/Archer.kfm</KFM>
			<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Archer/Archer_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>0.85</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bActAsRanged>1</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
			</AudioRunSounds>
		</UnitArtInfo>

thamis said:
Hmm... I can't get it to work. It shows up as a normal archer. Here's the ArtDef code:
Code:
<NIF>Art/Units/Nubian_Archer/nubian_archer.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Archer/Archer.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Archer/Archer_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
Well of course it's not showing up, you didn't change the shadernif tag. :) You need to point it at the same file as the nif tag.

thamis said:
Ah so the FX file is Art/Units/Nubian_Archer/nubian_archer.nif? How strange... To me at least, I don't know anything about 3d graphics.
Well, there is no FX file as such (which is why I say this unit doesn't support team color), and so you use the same file for both tags. You can do that with any unit (including vanilla) but if the unit is suppose to support team colors then in game they will always show red.
In the case of this unit I deliberatley removed team color support because that was the only way to remove the backpack from the scout, which is used as the basis for this. And since there's no team color support then there's no need to have the FX file at all. :)

Top Bottom