Civ V - One World Speculation Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name me a non-generic leader name and a city list that has more than one entry without going to English names of archaelogical sites. The Uniques would also be very standard named. My point is there is quite frankly not enough information on them. It's bad if you make stuff up. Now take the Comanche (or Anaszasi or Navajo or even Sioux), where it's quite easy to find all this information and create a civ that is fun to play.

Thus, Cahokia is imho perfect as a City State.

As for Majapahit vs. Indonesia, you can have the former but name it Indonesia without problems. The latter name is familiar while the usual player will go "he?" over Majapahit.

There is information available, albeit limited, on Cahokia. There are certainly sites available in original language names. A number of contemporary accounts (by Europeans) have recorded what certain groups of people called themselves by and where they consider themselves from, so we have the names of a number of Mississippian sites. These are Europeanised as they are written down, so you can dispute pronunciation, but they are fundamentally the names of sites. So there are in fact sources available for a city list.

One problem with this is that the contemporary accounts are later than would be pleasing. Most are 18th century, or 17th century at the earliest. This is certainly late in the Mississippian world, Cahokia was certainly gone by then, but considering the name Cahokia survived as is recorded in this manner (If that is its original name) then we can consider with a reasonable amount of surety that the other names are as legitimate.

Given what we know, a UA and a UB would be easy to postulate. A UA could be aimed at either religion or wide culture production to reflect it as a 'theatre state' and the UB would undoubtedly be related to their famed mound structures.

A UA and a Leader are the really difficult components. However, I am positive there will be a record of names and legends somewhere, and it seems likely that papers would be written about it. All I'd need is time and a job at 2K and i could sort that out. :goodjob:

However, seeing as there are relatively few experts on the Mississippians and relatively little resources devoted to history in commercial projects, you are right in suggesting it is unlikely.

I was under the impression that the Majapahit were long gone before the Portuguese and Dutch arrived. Islam swept over Java, relegated Hindu culture to Bali, and turned the islands into various sultanates. It would fit better into a hypothetical "Spread of Islam" instead of some sort of colonial scenario.

For me, Brazil has had a rich history on par with the US in terms of colonization, immigration, and frontier life. It is less similar to Portugal than the US is to England, so it simply isn't a substitute for Portugal. I don't deny what you wrote is true, but it is just as true that American success is also a legacy of British institutions. And like the US, Brazil has been a melting pot that has given the world much, especially in the arts.

Majapahit was definitely in decline by the time Europeans were poking round, but not quite gone. It may have been virtually gone by the time of colonisation but it is still more relevant to a colonisation scenario than a modern day indonesian state.

I'll concede on cultural terms Brazil has indeed developed on its own merit, but the foundations of its economic success today are based in the land Portugal carved out for its colony and populated. Without that vast economic success it would not be a consideration for a place in Civ.
I do however dispute your comparison. The USA has been a world power for almost 100 years now and made its mark on world history. Brazil has done this markedly less. I don't think anything Brazil has achieved yet mark it out as a civilisation to include ahead of older civilisations that have run their course and achieved significant things in history.

Disclaimer: I apologise for delving into the possible civilisation choices. These are what really interest me and what i am unsure of in the expansion. I'm already 100% satisfied with how the game works and have absolute faith whatever else is added will be to my liking.

Am I the only one on here who doesn't care what the new Civs are. I'm far, far more interested in new game mechanics that affect all Civs than anything else (including new tech tree changes / new generic units etc).

You're not the only one. I'm ridiculously tired of "OMG I want Civ X in the game!" threads anyway. I'm much more interested to potential changes to the core game mechanics, as well as the AI.

Mali and Ghana please!
I want Mali to be another gold focused civ. Maybe more reliable than Spain and Songhai's gold. Something focusing on mining operations perhaps.
And as for mechanics, more Wonders that actually require action to be used. Something akin to the UN and Apostolic Palace from Civ IV. Weve got so many generic "passive" Wonders right now.
Also a fix to the disheveled multiplayer.
Looking forward to this

Mali and Ghana please!
I want Mali to be another gold focused civ. Maybe more reliable than Spain and Songhai's gold. Something focusing on mining operations perhaps.
And as for mechanics, more Wonders that actually require action to be used. Something akin to the UN and Apostolic Palace from Civ IV. Weve got so many generic "passive" Wonders right now.
Also a fix to the disheveled multiplayer.
Looking forward to this

I've developed a sudden fascination with the Ashanti myself. They traded gold to the Songhai and slaves to Portugal and then Britain and France, thus enabling the colonization of the Americas before finally succumbing to European colonialism when Africa came into play. They could be a sub-Saharan non-muslim African civ with a military/economic focus. They had European firearms and used them in the European fashion, but with greater emphasis on mobility in combat. They also employed medics on the field of battle, which was innovative in its time and place. They fielded an army larger than the Zulu, and resisted British interests for longer. I think they could trade population for money or military units as a UA and have Slave Markets as a UB, producing +1 production and +1 gold during times of war, and have a musket UU that starts with medic and +1 movement.

when I think of "One World":
- an exchange rate for resources would be nice. No more haggling. A simple chart would do.
- a colony system, where new cities can operate similarly to puppet ones. Anger them, or fail to upkeep them, and they break away
- airports, canals, mountain tunnels, some kind of later-game scout unit. Faster travel all-around.
- migration and refugees. A stability rating for each city that acts as push-pull factor for populations
- proxy wars, or somehow getting city-states and "colonies" to fight for your or acquire resources for you.
- more barbarians: pirates, anarchists, guerrillas

All good ideas.

Does anyone remember how the colonies used to work? It was great, you could build cities on a new continent and once there were enough of them you could grant them independence as a new civ. I loved that because it was much more in line with how the world works in real life. After all, great civs rise and fall over time, in Civ V they simply start in the same year and drop off like flies.

I just want more Civs (Hence my screen name), like Israel, Brazil, Indonesia, Portugal, Poland, Magyar, Kongo, Zulu, Morocco, Phoenicia, Australia, Modern Mexico (not just Aztec), Canada and something based on Yugoslavian territories like Croatia (Hrvatska) or Serbia.

More buildings.
More techs, and FUTURE TECHS like in CTP2 (anything really that brings CTP2 back)
More variety in the naval path, more naval units, more benefits to coastal cities because in the real world most important cities are coastal...ports need to be much more powerful.
Trading of food resources within a civ, so if you have one city in a desert and another in ice and a third on flood plains with the Hanging Gardens, you can shift some growth from one city to share amongst many. After all, NYC certainly doesn't produce nearly enough food for that population.

I just want more new stuff for Civ V.

I like these kinds of threads and if I were developing the new expansion I'd like this kind of thread too. With the potential title leaked, all of us are explaining our expectations and this is all very valuable information to judge whether the expansion will be well received. Leaks happen for every game developer, however, if I were in charge I might be happy that it happened so I can get a final sense of whether what I'm about to release will meet expectations or if I had better adjust a few things.

I shall contribute to this speculation with the following.

I expect that, as many have suggested, that it will be a peace/trade/diplomacy/religion themed expansion. I think some aspects of religion will be changed and that there will be a religious victory type added. I also think that the expansion will change game mechanics of partnership with other civs (declarations of friendships, research agreements, defensive pacts) and/or will add new types of relationships. There are things that I think will be changed in the diplomacy area; some mechanics for diplomacy could be deeper and more creative. I think overall there might be more support (through AI coding, game mechanics, etc.) for peaceful strategies.

I like what I've heard.

The title One World makes me think diplomacy will be greatly improved and will be more important in the (late) game.
Such as:
DoF's gives more benefits, like international trade routes, trading in bonus-recourses.
Another type of CityState (sceintific?) and more diplomacy options with them to gain/lose influence.
Spies can perform actions, located in enemy cities (poison water, destroy production etc.)

Also Health and Inviroment would fit in the title One World.
Especially from the Industial era, where factories produces a lot of pollution what makes your people unhappy and causes global warming, a hospital or recycle centre reduces pollution.

I also hope the return of the random events from BtS.
- Your library is destroyed by an hurricane
- A gladiator in the colloseum of 'insert city' wins 20 battles in a row, and the crowd: +1 :c5happy:

I've developed a sudden fascination with the Ashanti myself. They traded gold to the Songhai and slaves to Portugal and then Britain and France, thus enabling the colonization of the Americas before finally succumbing to European colonialism when Africa came into play. They could be a sub-Saharan non-muslim African civ with a military/economic focus. They had European firearms and used them in the European fashion, but with greater emphasis on mobility in combat. They also employed medics on the field of battle, which was innovative in its time and place. They fielded an army larger than the Zulu, and resisted British interests for longer. I think they could trade population for money or military units as a UA and have Slave Markets as a UB, producing +1 production and +1 gold during times of war, and have a musket UU that starts with medic and +1 movement.

Id love a non-Muslim Civ to go along with those 2 Empires as well. But Mali's importance amongst Islamic Scholars does make it seem like a good candidate for a civ. Especially if trade is gonna be the focus of the new XP.

In reply to Mali being hard to include due to Songhai's presence, I agree. The Songhai even "took" the Mandekalu Cavalry from Mali, so it'd take a bit of creativity to include Mali.
To be honest, I wouldnt mind seeing repeats of names between Songhai and Mali. I just want Mansa Musa! :)

I wish that the UN becomes an end-game mechanic.

When it's build, civilizations can choose whether they want to join or not. When they do, they become part of a big alliance, a permanent DoF with a defensive pact with all other members.
It could be used as a deterrent against warmongers, attack one member and you pretty much startle a beehive.

Members can propose a vote such as:

- Add a civilization to the UN.
Civs that didn't join at first can always join later if enough civs agree that it's a good idea. (Looking at military, economy etc.

- Remove a civilization from the UN.
When somebody is bullying too many city states, is spying too much etc. War is automatic removal.

- Ban usage of nuclear bombs and missiles.
Production still allowed, not allow to use them in war. Use them anyway and you startle the beehive.

- Declare war on civilization with entire UN.
For reasons such as using weapons, being a warmonger, bullying city states etc. Plenty of reasons.

Aside from that, members from the UN share open borders at all time as well as show what happens within their cultural borders at all time.
It's the ultimate alliance.

As for the diplomatic victory condition:

When more than 75% of the civilizations are part of the UN a vote can be called to appoint the world leader (winner) among the UN members (city states can also become members).
And with that vote you can win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom