Terracotta army broken?

The terracota can be unbelievable value as you transition from classical to medieval - when it often ends up being still available. Keep some units unupgraded and do it with

warrior + sword + spear + pike + chariot + horsemen + knight + archer + composite + crossbow

It's such a hotly contested wonder by the AI players, I've never had a game where I can build or upgrade a pikeman and still get a chance to build the wonder afterwards.

The terracota can be unbelievable value as you transition from classical to medieval - when it often ends up being still available. Keep some units unupgraded and do it with

warrior + sword + spear + pike + chariot + horsemen + knight + archer + composite + crossbow

That's easily 3x or 4x production value.

then gold upgrade the generated units (and your units) and you instantly end up with an army that you can stomp an AI with, or catch a human player with complete surprise.

you end up with basically a nearly 1000 hammers worth of extra war power with a combination of terra and gold that an opponent would find extremely difficult to catch up to.

Yeah but you need to assume that by the time you have built all those diverse units no AI will build the terracotta army in the meantime, which is saying a lot since you need to wait until the medieval era.

That looks to me like something that requires a lot of work and preparations that might not even pay off in the end (especially at higher difficulties).

It's such a hotly contested wonder by the AI players, I've never had a game where I can build or upgrade a pikeman and still get a chance to build the wonder afterwards.

Yeah, this is my experience too. If I'm lucky I can have both a spear and a warrior, maybe both a composite and a regular archer, with a scout and one other unit. I'll have the privelege of paying to make the outdated units current. Thanks, Terracotta Army!

The Venn diagram of "times I can build terracotta" and "times it was worth it" has a pretty small overlap. Balance that against the risk of just not getting it...

Top Bottom