First Thread!!!

Dux_

Warlord
Hello all! I welcome us to our humble abode. This is where all the plotting, scheming, & hopefully good diplomacy will take place. I guess someone with some experience on Demogames should tell us what we should do, or how it might be a good way to organize ourselves.

However, there are some things we should decide soonish, like our name, civ, leader & name of our leader. So we can call first a civ & leader, muahaha. ;)

With nothing further to say, but post away, I bid I see you often! :p

wow, i FINALLY found our forums lol. anyways, glad to be here and cant wait to get started choosing civ/leader. Dux, so is it unrestricted leaders then?

Hello team

My suggest on civ is:

• Inca (Financial+Industrious),Terrace(granary,+2 :culture: ), Quechua(100%vs.archer), Agriculture+Mysticism

• Victoria(Financial+Imperialistic), Stock Exchange(bank,+15%:gold:),Redcoat(+25vs gun.), Fishing+Mining

I personally like Dutch, or Vikings, that extra move on our ships could prove useful for some nasty unexpected searaids! :D We can be the kings of the sea! :p

Horray, I made it!

Do we even know what kind of map it'll be? I mean a largely land-based pangaea map will want a different leader than a more ocean-based one.

Also what traits will we be wanting? I don't think creative will be very helpful, as the teams will be rather spread apart to avoid rushing so there won't be any culture battles. Financial though is obviously always good.

Personally though I think I'll toss Mehmed II up there. Fast workers, granaries, harbors, lighthouses, courthouses and factories. That'll help us get up to speed quickly. ;) His UB is pretty great and his UU isn't bad either.

Found the fourms finally cant wait for the game to start and i honestly have never had ANY MP experience
and i think that financial would be a pretty good idea it always is lol and since we are gonna be waging a lot of war we might need the money.

If we have a map like islands or a sea based map then I'm all in favor of Ragnar of the vikings their UU is awesome for sea raids and as long as we dont face samurai we should be fine(ive had 2 games as the vikings vs tokugawa and those damn samurai always kill me)

Ive read the map making fourm on what type they will be making and there saying that all teams should be able to have contact to all other civs before optics and there UB will help alot too! All ships get a free navigation I bonus.

I'm definitely in favour of a Financial civ over any other for this particular game. After all, why put ourselves at a disadvantage when many of the other teams will probably also have Financial leaders? ;)

Just to throw another option out there: Darius is a great choice. His combination of Financial/Organised means he can get incredibly large empires with incredible amounts of gold coming in. Plus, his unique unit is awesome - the Immortal is great for (at the very least) keeping the barbs at bay, and (in the best case scenario) crippling a neighboring civ early in the game.

All suggestions are ok to me. There are so many good alternatives. From the suggested ones maybe Mehmed or Darius would be my favourite for peaceful game and Ragnar for warring.

Of course the map type should be taken into account also.

i like financial too.

i like elizabeth. philosophical could be nice for GP. plus you get the redcoats and stockexchange.
and she is hot. maybe we could flirt w/ some of the other teams and persuade them to our line of thinking :). you can underestimate the power of a good woman.

maybe we should have a poll or vote when we get the majority of our players. but i'm down w/ anything you guys decide.

All suggestions are ok to me. There are so many good alternatives. From the suggested ones maybe Mehmed or Darius would be my favourite for peaceful game and Ragnar for warring.

Of course the map type should be taken into account also.
Yeah, the map type is definitely a major factor. Ragnar won't be quite as good on a map with little water, for instance.

Just one thing, I should point out that these democracy games are NEVER peaceful, at least in the medium-to-long term. Thus, we should make our civ selection keeping in mind that this will really be more of a game of war rather than a game of peace. (We should also make our selection based on the knowledge that in the end, technological superiority almost always wins out - superior units win out over outdated ones. Hence the Financial pick I mentioned earlier.) ;)

i like elizabeth. philosophical could be nice for GP. plus you get the redcoats and stockexchange.
and she is hot. maybe we could flirt w/ some of the other teams and persuade them to our line of thinking :). you can underestimate the power of a good woman.
A point of relevance - later game unique units and unique buildings are usually not quite as effectual in these types of games, since they usually finish early (often in the industrial ages). That's not to say that Elizabeth wouldn't still be a good pick, just that her Stock Exchange in particular won't be of much use. The Redcoat might still be useful to some extent, though.

maybe we should have a poll or vote when we get the majority of our players. but i'm down w/ anything you guys decide.
Indeed, that's probably the best way to do this. We'll sort out the main choices in this thread and then put up a thread for voting, I guess. :)

A point of relevance - later game unique units and unique buildings are usually not quite as effectual in these types of games, since they usually finish early (often in the industrial ages). That's not to say that Elizabeth wouldn't still be a good pick, just that her Stock Exchange in particular won't be of much use. The Redcoat might still be useful to some extent, though.

Indeed, that's probably the best way to do this. We'll sort out the main choices in this thread and then put up a thread for voting, I guess. :)

good beans. sounds like you know what you are doing. do we normally elect a leader in games like these or always play by comittee.

good beans. sounds like you know what you are doing. do we normally elect a leader in games like these or always play by comittee.
It varies by team, but usually what happens is that you have a "committee" of people on the team's forum who discuss what to do, and an elected "leader" or "turn player" who logs into the game and plays the turns according to the committee's wishes. (There can also be backup turn players in case the main one is away for a few days.)

The committee chooses what to do on a particular turn by either reaching an agreement, or (if no agreement is reached) by voting and going with the most popular choice. The turn player can be chosen by a vote of the team members, and should play the turns according to the team's wishes.

If everyone is okay with it, I'd be happy to be a turn player for our team. I'd make sure to value everyone's input and would play the turns in the interests of the team, according to what you guys want. :)

If everyone is okay with it, I'd be happy to be a turn player for our team. I'd make sure to value everyone's input and would play the turns in the interests of the team, according to what you guys want. :)

I second that i've seen alot of what this guy has done and lurked on tons of his fourms i think he should be our turn player i would'nt mind and im always here i could be a back up one to

what you guys think about leaning towards a civ which requires NO resources for its UU or options like either copper OR iron? there's no promise we'll have horse or any other resource afterall.

what you guys think about leaning towards a civ which requires NO resources for its UU or options like either copper OR iron? there's no promise we'll have horse or any other resource afterall.
Actually, given that there'll be a mapmaker for the map used in this game, you can pretty much guarantee that every civ will have at least one of copper, iron and horses within easy reach. (If not, then that would be a very unfair and biased map. ;) )

So to answer the question, I think we shouldn't worry too much about picking a civ which has a resourceless UU. The traits of a civ are almost always far more important than the UU, anyway (with the possible exception of Rome - though that's only a good choice on a map with very near neighbours, which probably won't be the case for our game). :)

Well, if you look at the Map Discussion thread, you'll see that the team votes for map settings are due by Wednesday. At that point, I'll tally up the team votes and announce the resulting settings, so you can pick you civ/leader choice with the added information.

Right now, I don't know what the collected teams will decide either. :)

I second that i've seen alot of what this guy has done and lurked on tons of his fourms i think he should be our turn player i would'nt mind and im always here i could be a back up one to

i also second Lord Parkin for leader(turn player). he seems like the clear choice w/ the most experience and good communication skills.

Top Bottom