Partial finished items in building queue

Sporally

Prince
Currently playing a game where I wasn't planning on doing much conquest. However, after Rome settled in an annoying place close to one of my cities I decided to take that city and and take Rome itself.

I've taken Cumae now through a peace treaty. 10 turns after I DoW Rome again to march on Rome. Now I've found that I have enough units to conquer it, so I'm turning to my city production in my other cities.

I have partly finished units in 3 of my 4 original cities. I'm changing the production into colosseums. However I hate to throw away hammers.

1) For how long / many turns can I have a partial finished unit / building in the queue before I loose the hammers?
2) What is the unit becomes obsolete - my hammers will transfer over to the new unit, right?
3) Can I prolong the queue time by spending another turn on building the unit, and then switching it back to another production again?
4) Does any of the first two questions change if I remove the unit from the building queue, but returning some time later?

I know the hammers won't last forever - that, at least, have I noticed.

1. For units, hammer decay starts after 10 turns and is 2% per turn thereafter, while hammer decay for buildings begins after 50 turns and is 1% per turn thereafter.

2. Yes

3. Good question, but haven't tested it. The decay trigger probably track hammers generated on a specific turn (i.e., building hammers from turn 50 start to decay at turn 100), but the turn threshold might be refreshed by a single turn of production.

4. No

3) No. (The unit/building is marked at the turn started, decay is from that turn onwards and takes no account of when hammers were added to the item.)

Interesting. Newer new it was a decaying thing. Is it a percentage of the total price or of the amount of hammers you have produced? Is it percentage or percentage points?

Given that answer to question 3, does that mean that it can be impossible for you to ever complete a building (if hammers start decaying as quickly as you put them in)?

At 1% decay per turn, that's doubtful. E.g., factory costs 360 hammers at standard. Are you really building a factory in a city with 3.6 hammers or less of production per turn?

It's hardly likely, but if you put a brand new city on Cristo Redentor (12.5 hammer/turn), I could see it happening.

Mostly I'm just curious.

Cristo Redentor does not require a mountain of anything. Except when playing a game on Settler, don't except to win the race for that wonder even if there was no decay ;-)

@ Browd
2) I mean - does changing the production due to obsolete units transfer all of your hammers over?

All hammers invested in the earlier unit (say, an archer) will carry over to production of the newer unit (in this example, comp bows), but the newer unit will cost more, so time to completion will still be longer.

Yeah, I noticed that. And guess anything else would be a bit of a cheat :)

Particularly if the invested hammers carried over to the new unit on a percent-completed basis.

There are some situations when a newly obsolete unit you were building gets lost.

I lost all production on a swordsman when on the turn that I got steel I lost my iron. I think the swordsman got removed from the queue and putting a longsword in there later had him at 0 hammers.

Another time I lost a frigate because the AI swarmed my city and it couldn't be placed anywhere. Next turn I got the battleship tech, but somehow the fully completed frigate was gone from the queue. Adding a battleship had it start from scratch.

I might be wrong on the details, but I'm 100% sure I had production evaporate before. It is so incredibly stupid.

There are some situations when a newly obsolete unit you were building gets lost.

I lost all production on a swordsman when on the turn that I got steel I lost my iron. I think the swordsman got removed from the queue and putting a longsword in there later had him at 0 hammers.

Another time I lost a frigate because the AI swarmed my city and it couldn't be placed anywhere. Next turn I got the battleship tech, but somehow the fully completed frigate was gone from the queue. Adding a battleship had it start from scratch.

I might be wrong on the details, but I'm 100% sure I had production evaporate before. It is so incredibly stupid.

I've had that happen as well when the original unit did NOT require iron but I reached Navigation one turn too soon, obsoleting the build when the upgrade (Frigate) did.

2) What is the unit becomes obsolete - my hammers will transfer over to the new unit, right?

You need to have the unit in your current production when you discover the tech or you will lose all hammers.

You can by pass hammer decay if you bring a turn of build before decay happens. For example, you have 50/100 hammers into a spearman. Then switch for something else. 9 turns later, you put some hammers into the spearman. Then switch back again, etc, etc.

Check this for more infos.

The funniest part is where you can prebuild #units/cities own with 1 ressource only. If you have, for example, 6 cities and 1 iron, you can prebuild 6 sowrdmen and still have 1 iron. Improve a 6 iron tile and get them out in 1 turn :)

Not useful, but still funny. There is also the ''storage units'' pre war strategy which is a short term effect that can allow you to ''hide'' your army and save some gpt. Useful in mp games mostly. The idea is to build all kind of ''nearly'' obsolete units at 1 turn each and keep them until techs are discovered.

After decay starts, you will always lose hammers on non-active unit builds. That is a fact. I just tested it. Building it for one more turn does not reset the 10-turn-to-decay counter.

As for how much it decays, I heard it's 2% per turn, or a minimum of 1 hammer. Forgot to test that.

After decay starts, you will always lose hammers on non-active unit builds. That is a fact. I just tested it. Building it for one more turn does not reset the 10-turn-to-decay counter.

As for how much it decays, I heard it's 2% per turn, or a minimum of 1 hammer. Forgot to test that.

Thanks for infos. Things might have changed since vanilla...or i wrongly evaluated these 4 years ago :blush:

Cristo Redentor does not require a mountain of anything. Except when playing a game on Settler, don't except to win the race for that wonder even if there was no decay ;-)

Considering the fact that you can easily be far ahead of the AI by that point in time, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get it. Whether it's worth the hammers is another question altogether.

Not useful, but still funny. There is also the ''storage units'' pre war strategy which is a short term effect that can allow you to ''hide'' your army and save some gpt. Useful in mp games mostly. The idea is to build all kind of ''nearly'' obsolete units at 1 turn each and keep them until techs are discovered.
AFAIK, you have to spend even more hammers when a unit is upgraded. I use the tactic aswell, where I build several different units in a city with the exception of their last production turn. When I need them you can easily build 3 different types of units in 3 turns saving you GDP.

Thanks for infos. Things might have changed since vanilla...or i wrongly evaluated these 4 years ago :blush:
Have you testet this since you wrote it?

Top Bottom