What's going on in Indonesia?

Xenocrates

Deity
I have seen a news report of hundreds or thousands of ethnic Chinese being tortured and killed in Indonesia. This started last week and is continuing. Some Muslims blame them for the earthquake and accuse them of doing black magic.

I have a link, but I can't post it because it contains dozens of photos of severed heads and torture victims.

It's amazing that this hasn't made the news here in Europe. Does anyone else have more information on this?

The first major massacre of Chinese in Indonesia was in 1740 and there have been many since. In Malaysia many Chinese are raped and forced to marry their Malay rapists. A few weeks ago Chinese were killed in the Soloman Island; there seems to be a trend emerging. A very dangerous trend.

PS Rumsfeld is in Indonesia right now.

Xenocrates said:
It's amazing that this hasn't made the news here in Europe. Does anyone else have more information on this?

I haven't heard of it in the news here in America either. Terrible how this can go unnoticed in western countries.:(

Wow i havent heard of that. I wish the media would report on things other then domestic issues and iraq. :rolleyes:

But if i did research im sure i could find it but the only things i like to do on my freetime is play video games and browse cfc!

Xanikk999 said:
Wow i havent heard of that. I wish the media would report on things other then domestic issues and iraq. :rolleyes:

But if i did research im sure i could find it but the only things i like to do on my freetime is play video games and browse cfc!
After all, what's more important, genocide, or browsing CFC? Clearly the latter.

I also never heard of this in Siangapore, but our media is biased and censored. Anyone got any link here ??

Xenocrates said:
I have seen a news report of hundreds or thousands of ethnic Chinese being tortured and killed in Indonesia. This started last week and is continuing. Some Muslims blame them for the earthquake and accuse them of doing black magic.

I have a link, but I can't post it because it contains dozens of photos of severed heads and torture victims.

The first major massacre of Chinese in Indonesia was in 1740 and there have been many since. In Malaysia many Chinese are raped and forced to marry their Malay rapists. A few weeks ago Chinese were killed in the Soloman Island; there seems to be a trend emerging. A very dangerous trend.

PS Rumsfeld is in Indonesia right now.
I haven't heard of the Indonesia thing either, which is strange since we get a lot of news here in Australia about SE Asia.

The whole anti-Chinese thing is nothing new. In the Soloman Islands (and just about everywhere else), the anti-Chinese stuff was about wealth inequality and Chinese corruption (both China and Taiwan were bribing the government to keep the Chinese in the Solomons rich, and then the election was rigged. Given that context, the riots and flight of the Chinese was inevitable).

Mongoloid said:
both China and Taiwan were bribing the government to keep the Chinese in the Solomons rich
This sounds ******ed, I have a hard time believing this. Why would the Chinese government care if their citizens abroad were rich or not? And why wouldn't they just pay the Chinese people directly instead of paying the Solomon authorities to "keep the Chinese rich"?

Alot of things about this makes no sense.

If there were any case of that happened, it was years ago in the 90s.

Haven't heard about it either, though I'll be suprised that there's still Chinese left in there after those torture and rape cases in the 90s.

Homie said:
This sounds ******ed, I have a hard time believing this. Why would the Chinese government care if their citizens abroad were rich or not? And why wouldn't they just pay the Chinese people directly instead of paying the Solomon authorities to "keep the Chinese rich"?

Taiwan wants to be recognised. China doesn't want recognition. Both sides are throwing money around to gain influence.

Homie said:

Taiwan wants to be recognised. China doesn't want recognition. Both sides are throwing money around to gain influence.

Link to solomon islands troubles: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4925942.stm

I don't see how giving money to the Solomon government to help Chinese and Taiwanese people in the Solomons will influence anything regarding Taiwan's recognition.

I haven't heard this before but Indonesians did attack chinese Indonesians when there was that Asian depression in the late 90's, blaming the chinese for making them poor. With that, there were murders and slaughter.

It's not surprising no one hears about it--our media has recognized that as long as we aren't actively involved, we won't care about things.

Hotel Rwanda summarized it beautifully, which I'll paraphrase: "People will see this on the news, and they'll go, 'Oh my God, that's horrible.' And they'll go right back to eating their TV dinners and do nothing about it."

We simply don't care in America.

Homie said:
I don't see how giving money to the Solomon government to help Chinese and Taiwanese people in the Solomons will influence anything regarding Taiwan's recognition.
It's not just confined to whether or not Taiwan gets recognition. Both those countries tend to look out for Chinese people in other countries. While that isn't a bad thing, it becomes a bad thing when they start causing trouble like they did in the Solomons through bribery, election-rigging, etc.

North King said:
It's not surprising no one hears about it--our media has recognized that as long as we aren't actively involved, we won't care about things.

Hotel Rwanda summarized it beautifully, which I'll paraphrase: "People will see this on the news, and they'll go, 'Oh my God, that's horrible.' And they'll go right back to eating their TV dinners and do nothing about it."

We simply don't care in America.

To be fair, I bet they don't give a crap about us either.

MjM said:
To be fair, I bet they don't give a crap about us either.

I don't see why they would when they're ones being massacred. Even if they weren't, America is viewed as the richest nation and all Americans are mistakenly considered wealthy. Well we are, by their standards.

blackheart said:
I don't see why they would when they're ones being massacred. Even if they weren't, America is viewed as the richest nation and all Americans are mistakenly considered wealthy. Well we are, by their standards.

Yep, an American on welfare lives better than at least 90% of the world's population.

I hadn't heard about the recent issue in Indonesia and couldn't find anything on it on-line. Last items I found were about the issues in the late 90's.

Top Bottom