SL Wiki Upload List

Harry Tuttle

Scenario League Member
I figure that a lot of scenarios were never uploaded to the SL wiki and are floating around in cyber space going unnoticed or forgotten. We are day by day re-creating the SL wiki and I want to make sure we are accounting for everything.

The following are a list of scenarios that were uploaded to the old wiki. I will bold scenarios as they are uploaded to the wiki and add any new "to be acquired" scenarios to the list as they are made known. Please post any links to scenarios you think should be uploaded.

A link to the wiki: SL wiki

Category - Ancient Ages

Aeterna Civitas - McMonkey
Aeterna Civitas II - McMonkey
The Age of Constantine - Masis Panos
Ancient Empires 1200 BC - The End of the Bronze Age - Kull
A Soaring Spirit - McMonkey
Celtic Italy - Goddi Diego
Hellas - John Ellis
Imperium Romanum v2.2 - Bernd Brosing
Germanicus on the Rhine - John Petroski
King David of Israel - Beingofone
The Iranians - Stefan Hartel
The Odyssey v1.0a - Kull
Of Celts and Iberians - Jesus Balsinde
Quest for Asia - Stefan Hartel
Roman Civil Wars - Techumseh
Roman Riots v2 - St Leo
The Sea Kings - EZRhino (to be released)
Ancient Empires 3500 BC - Seeds of Greatness - Kull
Spartacus - Alex Mor
Wars of the Mediterranean - Paul Mutica
Zhan Guo: Quest for Tian Xia - Prometeus

Category - Middle Ages

The Age of Basilius - Masis Panos
Age of Charlemagne - Exile
The Age of Alexius v2.2 - Masis Panos
The Age of Crusades - Exile
Britain & France 1100 - Jamestout
Crusades 1100 - Jamestout
Death and Resurrection of an Empire - Mathias Köster
Fading Lights - Heresson
Fire and Roses - Stefan Härtel
Hammer of the North v2.9 - hardjoy
Hundred Year War - John Ellis
Hundred Years' War - Jamestout
InNomine - Paul Mutică
Justinian the Great v1.2 - Carl Fritz
Komnenai - Heresson
Mamluks - Heresson
Medium Aevum - Eivind IV
Mongols v3.1 - Harlan Thompson
The Mongols: Timur Khan - Markus Eklund
Seize the Crown - John Ellis
Shaibani: The quest for Khorassan - Stefan Härtel
The Viking Age - Jamestout

Category - Age of Discovery

The Age of Napolean - Saladin
American War of Independence - Civ2units
Bonaparte II - John Ellis
Bonaparte III - McMonkey
Casus Belli: Magna Bellum Borealis 1700-1721 v2.5 - Vegard Bjørketun
Colonialism - Eivind IV
Colonialism 1650 - Jamestout
The Colonies Series - John Ellis
Empires - Jamestout
Frederick the Great - Techumseh
The Italian Wars - Exile
Pitt's War at Sea - Carl Fritz
The Thirty Years War - Jesús Muñoz Fernández
The Thirty Years War MGE - Jesús Muñoz Fernández
The Rape of Nations v1.1 - kobayashi
Sengoku Jidai: v2.0 - Darth Veda
Struggle for Empire - Carl Fritz
Slash & Burn - Dan Scheltma

Category - Industrial

The Age of Imperialism - Exile
The Age of War - Exile
The Age of War Redux - Exile
The American Civil War - Captain Nemo & Alex the Magnificent
Brown Man's Burden v2 - Carl Fritz
Brown Man's Burden ToT - Carl Fritz
A Divided Nation - US Civilwar - Civ2units
El Aurens v2 (ToT) - Boco
Gold Gulch - Harry Tuttle
La Belle Epoque - Eivind IV
Mafia - Eivind IV
Red October - The Russian Civil War - Techumseh
Warlords of China - Techumseh

Category - World War II

Appeasement and Aggression - Case
The Blitzkrieg Series - Eivind IV
Chir Battle - Exile
The Cruel Sea - Case
Dainichi Sekai Taisen v3.0 - kobayashi
The Desert War - Eivind IV
Dictator (ToT) v5.0 - curtsibling
Dictator II (ToT) v6.0 - curtsibling
Fortress Europe - McMonkey

Fortress Koenigsberg(BFC) v1.0 - kobayashi
Götterdämmerung - Jim Panse
The Norwegian Campaign - Eivind IV
Operation Market Garden - Techumseh
Red Front v1.4 - Captain Nemo and Alex Mor
Rise of the Dictators - McMonkey
Second Front - Captain Nemo
The Eurasian Wars - curtsibling
The Spanish Civil War v3 - Pablostuka
WWII Europa - McMonkey
Zweiter Weltkrieg v2.2 - kobayashi

Category - Atomic

First Strike - Eivind IV
Gangwars - DarthVeda

Iron Curtain v1.2 - Academia
The Korean War (Alpha) - Patine
Malta - rmsharpe
New World Order - Academia
Raging Dragon - Case
Rhodesia UDI - Len Morison
South Atlantic Conflict v1.2 - Academia
The Wealth of Nations v1.1 - kobayashi
Yom Kipur -Day of Treason v2.0 + Mod - Alexandre Ostrowiecki
The Yugoslav Wars v2.0 - Hans99

Category - Fictional

2013: A Union Divided - Ghost Of Disco
Bitterfrost II - curtsibling
Bitterfrost III (Darkest Aeon) - curtsibling
Bitterfrost IV (Age Of The Warrior) - curtsibling

Blood and Steel Redux - Jim Panse
Dagor Bragollach v4.02 - Hurin
Dagor Bragollach II - Academia

Discworld - Cyrion
Dracula of Transylvania - Exile
Dungeon: Heroes of Beckhorn v.3.0 - Blackclove
Extermination - curtsibling
Kingdoms of Steel - curtsibling
Lord of the One Ring v1.1 - kobayashi
Lord of the Rings v4.1 - Harlan Thompson
Lord of the Rings Series - Favoured Flight

Lost Legions v1.1 - Cyrion
Martian Dawn v1.1 - Benjamin Ball
Pax California beta 2.0 - Smiley
Pomarj - Cyrion
Star Gate:SG1 v1.2 - kobayashi
Star Trek:Battle for Alpha Quadrant v3.1b - kobayashi
Star Trek: Dominion War v1.1 - kobayashi
Star Wars:Insurrection v1.3 - kobayashi

SubWars v1.0 - Bernd Brosing
The Sword of Shannara - Michael Jeszenka
Trakoria v2.0 - Pauli Paananen
Underdark - Mr. Temba
War of the Ring v1.1 - Catfish

more to come after I get some sleep.... 2-13-11

Your doing a grand job Harry. I must admit I am a bit lost with the Wiki progress. I understand a Wiki has been set up somewhere. Have any of the pages, images or scenarios survived or will do we need to start from scratch. If you could post a link to the new Wiki or explain (in language a dummy like me might follow ;)) what we need to do I will get cracking.

Hi,

May I submit Dan Scheltma's "Slash & Burn" for consideration in the ancient ages category (or another)? It was an extremely innovative scenario for its time, and even today it could be considered very unique. It would be a shame to lose it some day.

I believe it can be downloaded here:

http://spanish.apolyton.net/civ2/bestonet/files/slash.zip

I'm at work without a copy of the game, but the download works (not sure if the files still do).

It's too bad that the sounds haven't survived (at least not on that website).

Nice one, Harry! :)

A link to the wiki would be good too on the 1st post.

Done, see above. Also: http://sleague.civfanatics.com

Your doing a grand job Harry. I must admit I am a bit lost with the Wiki progress. I understand a Wiki has been set up somewhere. Have any of the pages, images or scenarios survived or will do we need to start from scratch. If you could post a link to the new Wiki or explain (in language a dummy like me might follow ;)) what we need to do I will get cracking.

Thank you. All the pages, images, and scenarios survived. The deal is that I have:

1) a static "picture" of the wiki pages, all captured as regular html pages. The pages contain all the graphics and files like the old wiki did. Those pages are what is contained within that 500MB file I linked to an an email I sent last week.

2) a download of the media and file structure of the old wiki. Unfortunately, I thought I had a backup of the wiki database. The wiki database tells the wiki software how to assemble the media and text together into wiki pages.

So what do we have to do to return the wiki to normal? Essentially we need to download the file I linked to and copy the static html pages into the new wiki. Cut and paste of the text, download and upload of the screenshots, files, etc...

I sent this to Vincent last night:

You can start by downloading that file I linked to last week. In the file there is a folder with a bunch of web pages. Most are gibberish but as you can see there is at least one web page for each scenario page or category that has a smaller file name than the rest.

For example: index.php@title=%22RED_FRONT%22

This web page contains a complete copy of the scenario page for Captain Nemo's Red Front. You can see screenshots, the file download links, and some text describing the scenario. I need you to start recreating this webpage in the new wiki.

You will need to learn how to edit a wiki page to start, but it really is not that hard. You will need to save the files from the webpage to a folder and then download the files to the wiki. It will be time consuming, but not impossible.

To get acclimated I would suggest creating a wiki page for your own scenarios first to get the hang of it. To start, just type the name of your first scenario into the search bar. The wiki will look for a page with that name. The wiki will come back and say something like this:

"There were no results matching the query.

Create the page "Pomarj" on this wiki!"

Click the link for "Pomarj" and it will bring up a blank page with a text box for editing. Start from there.

Hi,

May I submit Dan Scheltma's "Slash & Burn" for consideration in the ancient ages category (or another)? It was an extremely innovative scenario for its time, and even today it could be considered very unique. It would be a shame to lose it some day.

I believe it can be downloaded here:

http://spanish.apolyton.net/civ2/bestonet/files/slash.zip

I'm at work without a copy of the game, but the download works (not sure if the files still do).

It's too bad that the sounds haven't survived (at least not on that website).

Will do. I'll add it to the list. Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation. I now understand the deal. Just a case of re-assembling the old Wiki bit by bit. I will download the file tonight and should be able to start transferring from tomorrow onwards. This may take a while but many hands make light work and it is a worthwhile project!

Downloading now. Currently it is saying three days left :eek:

Its saying 5 days now. My B/s speed is dropping like a lead balloon. I have just checked and Ofcom say the average UK broadband speed is 5.2Mbps. My one is saying 1300 b/s and is still dropping steadily. What's that all about? Normally my broadband downloads stuff pretty quickly so I have never really taken any notice of bit rates and the like.

I have just gone back and looked and the 7z file (just under 1.4 MB in size) has completed downloading but when I try and unzip it it says it cannot open file as archive. Am I making a real dumb mistake here?

Downloading now. Currently it is saying three days left :eek:

Its saying 5 days now. My B/s speed is dropping like a lead balloon. I have just checked and Ofcom say the average UK broadband speed is 5.2Mbps. My one is saying 1300 b/s and is still dropping steadily. What's that all about? Normally my broadband downloads stuff pretty quickly so I have never really taken any notice of bit rates and the like.

I have just gone back and looked and the 7z file (just under 1.4 MB in size) has completed downloading but when I try and unzip it it says it cannot open file as archive. Am I making a real dumb mistake here?

I think the download timed out or you hit some sort of bandwidth limit. Try again, and if it doesn't work maybe you could focus on setting up the main page or import the Scenario Tips from the old website pages into the wiki. Do you have the link to the tips I sent a few weeks ago?

I tried again and as soon as the dl starts the bit rate (if that is the correct term) begins dropping rapidly from 40 kB/s and the dl time just keeps rising.

I will start with the tips and the pages I made backups of a while back. I will let you know which ones I did to avoid any duplication.

Sounds good. I've been focusing on setting up the category pages so there should not be any overlap for a bit.

Good fences make good neighbors. I am sure the CivFan database is excellent, and I do hope that more SL scenarios are uploaded to it, but for the sake of being able to maintain continuity and independence I think keeping a separate scenario depository would be prudent.

...and I do hope that more SL scenarios are uploaded to it
That's the thing. You end up with two sets of files; more maintenance. In my case there were two versions of some of my files, the SL ones being out of date. Even with file linking, the SL site would still be the hub of Civ2 resources. Anyway, I'm not a member of the SL, so it's not really my area.

That's the thing. You end up with two sets of files; more maintenance. In my case there were two versions of some of my files, the SL ones being out of date. Even with file linking, the SL site would still be the hub of Civ2 resources. Anyway, I'm not a member of the SL, so it's not really my area.

Then just keep one set in the SL wiki. ;)

And what do you mean not a member? Did you not pay your yearly dues? It's not like we have rules or restrict what you do with your creations. Anyone can be a member just by their own volition.

Then just keep one set in the SL wiki. ;)
I have 30+ files in the CFC downloads database, so in my case, that's not practical; plus I like it because it's accessible, and simple to use and maintain. The old wiki already linked to off-site files, so it wouldn't be that much of a departure. I've cross-linked like crazy on my own site and in the database entries. I notice Curt's just uploaded a few of his scenarios to the downloads database. Why can't you use both methods? If an active member of CFC uploads to its database, link the scenario entry on the SL to the database. For those designers who are no longer active or who prefer the wiki, host their files at the SL. Last time around you ended up with one person maintaining the wiki and there seemed to be people waiting for their files to be uploaded - not his fault. Don't ask me why people wouldn't edit the wiki themselves. Were there registration restrictions due to spammer vandalism? Anyway, I'm simply trying to reduce the long-term workload, not undermine the SL site.

I've got one request: I've taken a few requests from other people to convert FW/MGE scenarios to ToT over the years and one thing I found with the old wiki site was that quite a few of the scenarios hosted there were not the originals. They'd been modified and repackaged, eg, recent date stamps, junk files and verbose folder names (causing problems for some installations). I found myself chasing up the originals elsewhere. Could we have the original scenarios where possible? If they've been modified, could this be made clear? I'm not the only one who noticed.

And what do you mean not a member? Did you not pay your yearly dues? It's not like we have rules or restrict what you do with your creations. Anyone can be a member just by their own volition.
I thought there was a forum group or something - where you had weekly piss-ups. ;) I obviously haven't paid much attention.

Why can't you use both methods?

Well that's fine. You can host one scenario in the CFC database, one at the SL wiki, or vice versa, or whatever. No problemo. It's not exclusive or anything like that.

If an active member of CFC uploads to its database, link the scenario entry on the SL to the database. For those designers who are no longer active or who prefer the wiki, host their files at the SL.

That's cool. People can do whatever they want.

Last time around you ended up with one person maintaining the wiki and there seemed to be people waiting for their files to be uploaded - not his fault. Don't ask me why people wouldn't edit the wiki themselves. Were there registration restrictions due to spammer vandalism? Anyway, I'm simply trying to reduce the long-term workload, not undermine the SL site.

I don't really think maintenance was a huge issue. Yes, there was one guy a long time ago who was supposed to maintain the wiki, but that only impacted updating the software. A number of posters readily added to the wiki, fought spam, and updated the info posted. Not everyday, but somewhat frequently. And I'm sure there were a number of people with admin privileges too.

If there was a wait for files to be uploaded, well, that one was because people just didn't want to do the work of creating a simple page. Adding to a wiki is very easy. At the least someone can just copy another scenario page, insert their own stuff, and be one their way.

As for reg restrictions I think there was some deleting of spambot accounts but I'm pretty sure logins were always open. Not like they are really needed on a wiki anyways, but I digress.

I know you're not trying to undermine the SL site or anything like that. Really. I know your history and time spent in the community and like most fans of Civ you're looking for the best solution. My opinion is that more is better. Will there be overlap? Yes. If a scenario is not final, then obviously whoever makes a change will need to update all copies wherever they are hosted. Can this be a pain? Sure, but it's not about creating one place for downloading scenarios.

I've got one request: I've taken a few requests from other people to convert FW/MGE scenarios to ToT over the years and one thing I found with the old wiki site was that quite a few of the scenarios hosted there were not the originals. They'd been modified and repackaged, eg, recent date stamps, junk files and verbose folder names (causing problems for some installations). I found myself chasing up the originals elsewhere. Could we have the original scenarios where possible? If they've been modified, could this be made clear? I'm not the only one who noticed.

I've noticed too. We need to make a best practices instruction sheet so corruption of original work is kept to a minimum. I'm all for updating and tweaking but I would like to keep the originals pristine whenever possible. Maybe original pages could be closed for editing to keep those files static. If you have any suggestions or candidates bring them up or just post them.

I thought there was a forum group or something - where you had weekly piss-ups. ;) I obviously haven't paid much attention.

There was a forum group, but that was about as cohesive and inclusive as it got. :) It was like wearing a pin that said "Kiss me I'm Irish" to show that you liked green beer and parades.

Well Catfish, it's good you mentioned something about restricting access. I have just added a Captcha for new user login after checking the user list. Damn spam. New users now have to sign up using a captcha. Now to delete some pages and ban some spambots...

Yes, there was one guy a long time ago who was supposed to maintain the wiki, but that only impacted updating the software. A number of posters readily added to the wiki, fought spam, and updated the info posted. Not everyday, but somewhat frequently. And I'm sure there were a number of people with admin privileges too.
I meant more recently. Mind you, it was difficult to tell what exactly had been updated recently: the main page still listed items as 'new' and 'updated' when they were, in fact, years old. Dates for update announcements would be better.

Will there be overlap? Yes. If a scenario is not final, then obviously whoever makes a change will need to update all copies wherever they are hosted. Can this be a pain? Sure, but it's not about creating one place for downloading scenarios.
When I update my files, who's going to keep track of what I'm doing? I'm too lazy to be updating two sites. I don't really care for having to pester someone whenever I update a file, either. If the wiki site contains a link to the download page, then that wiki page only needs to be edited once. Unless the file-creator wishes otherwise, I'd go for one set of files: for active members with files in the database, link to the download page; for the rest, upload to the wiki. There's also a 10 MB size limit for files in the database. I'm certain the SL site will still end up hosting more than 90% of the scenarios and mods, as most are long finished. How does this arrangement sound? Either way, it's business as usual for me.

I meant more recently. Mind you, it was difficult to tell what exactly had been updated recently: the main page still listed items as 'new' and 'updated' when they were, in fact, years old. Dates for update announcements would be better.

Again I would say best practices. You're right, stated dates would be better. Maybe there's an extension I can add that automatically adds time stamps.

When I update my files, who's going to keep track of what I'm doing?

:lol: Just you.

I'm too lazy to be updating two sites. I don't really care for having to pester someone whenever I update a file, either.

Well again, who exactly would you pester? The wiki is open to anyone to use. Anyone can edit a page.

Unless the file-creator wishes otherwise, I'd go for one set of files: for active members with files in the database, link to the download page; for the rest, upload to the wiki.

First of all anyone and everybody is free to do whatever they want with their scenarios. I can't put limits or restrictions on uploading normal civ stuff to the wiki. There is no central librarian accepting scenarios and uploading them. The wiki is open to anyone to post whatever civ files they want.

The current work that is being done is to recreate the old scenario pages and copy the really old html files into the wiki itself. I'm not going to make any decisions on where a scenario should be hosted. As far as I know the majority of "new" scenarios were uploaded by the original creators themselves and were intended to be uploaded to the wiki.

And really, who is to say who is active or not? I'm not about to start telling people how they should offer scenarios to the community. If you want to link your files to the database that's fine. No problem. If someone wants to upload in two places then good for them. No problem.

You see the crux here is that both the wiki and the Civfan database have coexisted for many years now. Just because the SL is hosted by Civfan doesn't qualify everything to be completed integrated.

Top Bottom