Job advertisements (mainly for beginners)

I have used idle/vidle for developing small python scripts/programs, since it has integrated python interpreter (atleast the vidle version), so you can easier run your code (F5), and such. For larger programs I usually use arbitary editors with syntax highlighting, like notepad++, emacs, or gedit.
I can recommend setting the editor to replace tabs with spaces (either 2 or 4), to prevent compatility problems.

It will take atleast a few days before I really get to delve into the work, due to events and such - and it will probably also take me some time to figure out how everything is set up.

Notepad ++ or whatever is mainly to add colors to the codes to easily differentiate stuff like telling you this is a variable, which is not really necessary for pple who can understand codes anyway.

You won't be able to run codes without civ opened since 99% of the codes are civ specific and won't make sense in a standard python program.

Python changes can be done while a game is running and take effect directly most of the time, so frankly speaking, none of the fanciful programs make a difference compared to notepad.
BUG mods, however will give you tons of errors if you try to make changes in game.

Our code has BUG, Revolutions/DCM and RoM extensions to the BtS version while Platyping's is "just" an extension of the BtS version. It may be easier to merge our version into his rather than the other way around like I did.

Figuring out how Platyping changed the code so that you could change it and not need to exit and start the game would also be useful. especially if we can provide it to the BUG team for inclusion in their next release.;)

Eh, I did nothing spectacular.
All along, you can do it in BTS, although there are some pages that will cause problems which I fixed. BUG however, makes it problematic in all situations.

I would love to help complete the Civilopedia, but I don't yet understand the modpack's file organization, so I would need to be instructed as to where the files are located, what to modify, and how to upload the newly edited files to be merged into the modpack

I would love to help complete the Civilopedia, but I don't yet understand the modpack's file organization, so I would need to be instructed as to where the files are located, what to modify, and how to upload the newly edited files to be merged into the modpack

The pedia builds up the information it displays from the XML (via the dll). If it is text you want to fix then use wingrep or similar to find the file containing text for the object you want to change. If it is something more then you need to learn how to code either in Python for the screen contents and layout or C++ to provide extra contents to the Python.

The pedia builds up the information it displays from the XML (via the dll). If it is text you want to fix then use wingrep or similar to find the file containing text for the object you want to change. If it is something more then you need to learn how to code either in Python for the screen contents and layout or C++ to provide extra contents to the Python.

I was thinking of adding and fixing text for units, techs, etc that were added by the mod, but not yet fully entered into the Civilopedia. I was disappointed by the completeness of the pedia in past releases so I thought I would try to do my part to make it fuller. If you could go a bit more in-depth as to what I am to do that would be awesome. I am a decent programmer, but XML is not something I've looked into much though I've heard it's very human readable so just a brief explanation is all that's needed. Thanks

I was thinking of adding and fixing text for units, techs, etc that were added by the mod, but not yet fully entered into the Civilopedia. I was disappointed by the completeness of the pedia in past releases so I thought I would try to do my part to make it fuller. If you could go a bit more in-depth as to what I am to do that would be awesome. I am a decent programmer, but XML is not something I've looked into much though I've heard it's very human readable so just a brief explanation is all that's needed. Thanks

XML is "just" a way to store data :D. If you have an example of what you think is missing I can explain how you go about changing it. Once you have done one the others are the same. For example a unit will have a description of the form TXT_KEY_UNIT_name in the XML defining the unit as well as TXT_KEY_UNIT_name_PEDIA and TXT_KEY_UNIT_name_STRATEGY. Then in one of the XML text files those will be defined in English and maybe in other languages. For example the Secret Agent description is defined as
Code:
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_UNIT_007</Tag>
		<English>Top Secret Agent</English>
		<French>
			<Text>Agent Top Secret</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</French>
		<German>
			<Text>Topagent:Topagenten:Topagenten:Topagenten:Topagenten:Topagenten:Topagenten:Topagenten</Text>
			<Gender>Male:Male:Male:Male:Male:Male:Male:Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0:0:0:0:1:1:1:1</Plural>
		</German>
		<Italian>
			<Text>Agente Top Secret</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Italian>
		<Spanish>
			<Text>Agente Top</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Spanish>
	</TEXT>

It uses the same PEDIA and STRATEGY text as the spy unit. The strategy text needs to be short so it can be displayed in hover over box with other information. The pedia text can be long.

Ok wow that's a lot easier than I thought. Hardest part is finding what you want to modify and you simply use the find function in your text editor! Thanks for explanations and quick responses. I'll see what I can do

Top Bottom