Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

@strategyonly

I am downloading you test mod now and will boot it up as soon as its done.

Also i need someplace to have a better so called "choking" point, as i want about 90% of techs to go though that Prehistoric area, before getting to the Ancient area, thoughts/ideas? I dont want a bee-line like in AND right now.

Well I tried to do it with "Warfare" since it brings together the Social path (Oral Tradition, Prehistoric Music, etc) with the Crafting path (Tool Making, Hunting, etc).

"Sedentary Lifestyle" could be a possible "choking" point if we need to. Since it seems to define the difference between Prehistoric people and Ancient people.

Meanwhile i will go thru some of the promotions.

I will take a look too and we can compare notes.

I went for Archery right away, worked this time, but now all the other techs for units StoneAge Clubmen/Axeman etc or no good because i have better units already. I have an archer before being able to use the PreH stuff.

Yeah I was noticing that too. Its not so much the Stone Spear and Axeman but the Javelineer. I think I have come up with a solution ...

Move the locations of Axe Making to X5 Y5, Move Spear Making to X4 Y3 and move Trapping to X6 Y5.

Axe Making - Req Fine-Edged Tools
Spear Making - Req Fine-Edged Tools

Wood Working - Req Carving, Axe Making
Spear Fishing - Req Trap Fishing, Spear Making

Obsidian Weapons - Req Spear Making, Warfare (Note that I would have added Axe Making but since its required for Wood Working its follows the upgrade path of Warfare which is Wood Working -> Fire Making -> Cooking -> Hunting -> Warfare)

Archery - Req Spear Making, Warfare

You also may want to move Archery to X9 Y13 sicne it would place it right next to Warfare.

And hopefully it will work this time.

I am going for Writing right now and (see pics 2-4) of the techs left behind, plus Sedentary comes waay to fast and tribalism is too slow also. I was getting my first tribe being built but by the time it was supposed to be built i had a settler. Need to change it around that "we" get to the StoneAge Club/Axe men before anything else.

Like I said above "Sedentary Lifestyle" would be a "good choking" point. What would you suggest to have it require? Also see above for my solution to the Axe and Spearmen to come earlier.

Then we would just need an early work boat type unit that can only travel in coastal waters and is like a gatherer and its improvements upgrade with the tech also.

I was hoping that we could get a "Canoe" boat for "Boat Building" tech. One that could scout around like a scout but not attack or do improvements. Note the actual model would have to have no sails since those have not been invented yet.

EDIT: Also the "Fishing Trap" tech should be moved to "Trap Fishing" tech.

Don't forget to change the starting era for the game the default is ancient and needs to be prehistoric or what ever it is called.
<snip>

Thanks DH that's the info I needed.

JosEPh :)

@strategyonly

Arg Ok so i was making a huge list for each tech but it was just taking way too long and it was confusing. So I am going to break it down with only changes ...

- Move "Leadership" and "Loyalty" promotions to "Cooperation" tech.
- I don't think "Oral Tradition", "Prehisotric Music" and "Prehistoric Dance" need happiness in every city for ALL of those techs. especially when we can have buildings to do that.
- Move "Basket Weaver's Hut" to "Basketry" tech.
- Move "Reveals Deer Resource" to "Scavenging" tech.
- Move "Reveals Bison Resource" to "Scavenging" tech.
- Move "Reveals Ivory Resource" to "Bone Working" tech.
- Move "Can Build Jungle Camp" to Tool Making tech.
- Move "Furrier" to "Trapping tech".
- Move "Reveals Furs Resource" to "Trapping tech".
- Move "Butchery" to "cooking" tech.
- Move "Elder's Council" to "Cultural Identity" tech.
- Take Out or Combine with "Council of Elders" with "Elder's Council".
- Move "Fishing Trap" to "Trap Fishing" tech.
- Move "Hunter" to "Hunting tech.
- Make a "Canoe" unit for "Boat Making" tech which works like a Scout but for the water.
- Move "Beadmaker's Hut" to "Bead Making" tech.
- You forgot "Apiculture" tech.
- Move "Apiary" to "Apiculture" tech.
- Add "+1 Food to Farms" to "Apiculture" tech.
- Move "Reveals Horse Resouce" to "Horseback Riding" tech.
- Move "Spy" to "Writing" tech.
- "Heal" promotion seems weird where it is. It should not be in "Prehistoric Dance".
- Move "Spearman" to "Copper Working" tech.

Stuff I am planning to add ....

* = I Need to Make

- "Storyteller's Hut" to "Oral Tradition" tech.
- "Instrument Maker's Hut" to "Prehistoric Music" tech.*
- "Flint Knapper's Hut" to "Flint Knapper" tech.
- "Dance Hut" to "Prehistoric Dance" tech.
- Lumber Camp to "Wood Working" tech.
- Woodcarver's Hut to "Wood Working" tech.
- Boneworker's Hut to "Bone Working" tech.*
- Imu to "Cooking" tech.*
- Poison Crafter's Hut to "Poison Crafting" tech.*
- Carpenter's Workshop to "Carpentry" tech.
- Reindeer Breeder to "Hunting" tech.
- Tattoo Hut to "Tattoos" tech.*
- Canoe Builder's Hut to "Boat Building" tech.*
- Cormorant Trainer to "Boat Fishing" tech.
- Dog Breeder to "Canine Domestication" tech.
- Fletcher's Hut to "Archery" tech.
- Cat Breeder to "Ceremonial Burial" tech.
- Clay Pit to "Pottery" tech.
- Cow Farm to "Livestock Domestication" tech.
- Pig Farm to "Livestock Domestication" tech.
- Sheep Farm to "Livestock Domestication" tech.
- Goat Farm to "Livestock Domestication" tech.
- Cow Farm to "Livestock Domestication" tech.
- Yak Farm to "Livestock Domestication" tech.
- Lllama Farm to "Livestock Domestication" tech.
- Chicken Farm to "Livestock Domestication" tech.
- Shrine to "Ancestor Worship" tech.
- Horse Farm to "Horseback Riding" tech.
- Donkey Farm to "Horse Breeding" tech.
- Elephant Riding to "Elephant Trainer" tech.
- Star Gazer's Hut to "Stargazing" tech*
- Camel Farm to "Trade" tech.
- Oxen Farm to "Trade" tech.
- Oxen Farm to "Trade" tech.
- Chinapa to "Agriculture" tech.
- Rice Patty to "Agriculture" tech.
- Papyrus Giove to "Weaving" tech.

Plus much more ...

I am tried now and will let you get to that. Also now that I have your files I can start adding the right techs tags to my buildings.

@strategyonly

Ok so here are all my conveyed mods. I thought I better give it to you before I break it again with new stuff. When you install it please DELETE the old "Hydro" folder as well as the "Military" folder located in your "StrategyOnly" folder first. The reason for this is that I have since separated my mods into better categories and no longer use a "Misc" mod. See attachment below for the files.

EDIT: *Attachment Removed Since he got it.*

----------------

Some Bugs and Tweaks I found ...

- The "Shrine" (aka BUILDINGCLASS_IDOL_SHRINE) should be moved to "Ancestor Worship" tech.
- The "Elephant Herd" has a big red ball for its 3D model.
- The "Pig Herd" Strategy and Description Text are missing.

----------------

Here is a preview of the UBER tech tree diagram. I am not finished yet but you can see how big it will be. The "New" tech are in bold.

@strategyonly

Ok so here are all my conveyed mods. I thought I better give it to you before I break it again with new stuff. When you install it please DELETE the old "Hydro" folder as well as the "Military" folder located in your "StrategyOnly" folder first. The reason for this is that I have since separated my mods into better categories and no longer use a "Misc" mod. See attachment below for the files. (Done)

----------------

Some Bugs and Tweaks I found ...

- The "Shrine" (aka BUILDINGCLASS_IDOL_SHRINE) should be moved to "Ancestor Worship" tech.
- The "Elephant Herd" has a big red ball for its 3D model.
- The "Pig Herd" Strategy and Description Text are missing.

----------------

Here is a preview of the UBER tech tree diagram. I am not finished yet but you can see how big it will be. The "New" tech are in bold.

Thx:

Shrine: Done
Eleph Herd has: <NIF/> <KFM/>, dont know why it shows up red in the civlopedia that way, but its empty in game:crazyeye:

Pig Herd: Done

besides the pedia and strategy for the new techs what else is left for now in the PreH era?

Teleportation will actually be near the end of the galactic era, if you want I can draw up a layout of all the techs in AToM. I'll start at X44 and head to the right. Also Interstellar Travel has been removed.

EDIT: Here it is. If you don't have Microsoft Excel, then you can easily get the viewer for free.

Attachments

• AToM Tech layout.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 73
"Pig Herd" and "Cow Herd" are part of Subdue Animals in which I discovered a small bug in yesterday while I was checking the fixes to the hunter unit; so expect a new version in the nest few days. Assuming I don't decide to do a bit more minor tidying up of the messages by using the animal icon rather than the warning icon on the messages.

The beta for the "Great Doctor - health and disease" mod should be available at about the same time.

@strategyonly

Your welcome. :D And thanks to you for letting my mods in with your mod. Its so cool how so many different modders have contributed to this mod. It really makes it so much richer and diverse.

besides the pedia and strategy for the new techs what else is left for now in the PreH era?

Well besides buildings I will make for it I am not sure. I do like the canoe you have in that picture. It would work great for a "scout" sea unit. Maybe have it upgrade into a Galley or War Galley. Maybe have some different icons for the techs. For instance if you need an icon for the "Carpentry" tech just look for it in the art folder of my "Craft" mod and use that.

The tech could also give a pre-hunter type unit to fill in between the early scout and the full hunter.

Like a "Scavenger" unit or something? I also was thinking about what other prehistoric units there could be. So far all I have come up with is a "Blowgunner" which could require "Poison Crafting" tech.

-------

Some bugs and tweaks ...

- Could it be possible to get the Aztec Unique Unit the "Jaguar" warrior to require "Obsidian Weapons" rather than "Iron Working" tech? Maybe even do the same for the Mayan Unique Unit the "Holkan". Alternatively you could always make an "Obsidian Swordsman" also known as a "M&#257;cuahuitl" (which is the name of the Obsidian Sword).

- You apparently have a "Shaman Hut" and a "Shaman's Hut". The first is in "Shamanism" tech where it should be while the other is under "Mathematics" tech for some reason. I suggest you either delete or merge the 2nd one.

-------

@Civ Fuehrer
Thanks for the chart! This will make updating a breeze! Also I have "Open Office" which can read that.

"Pig Herd" and "Cow Herd" are part of Subdue Animals in which I discovered a small bug in yesterday while I was checking the fixes to the hunter unit; so expect a new version in the nest few days. Assuming I don't decide to do a bit more minor tidying up of the messages by using the animal icon rather than the warning icon on the messages.

The beta for the "Great Doctor - health and disease" mod should be available at about the same time.

Here's what i did for the pig herd:
Code:
<TEXT>
    	<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_PIG_HERD_PEDIA</Tag>
    	<English>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</English>
    	<French>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</French>
    	<German>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</German>
    	<Italian>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</Italian>
    	<Spanish>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</Spanish>
    </TEXT>
	<TEXT>
        <Tag>TXT_KEY_UNIT_BUILDING_PIG_HERD_STRATEGY</Tag>
        <English>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</English>
        <French>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</French>
        <German>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</German>
        <Italian>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</Italian>
        <Spanish>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</Spanish>
    </TEXT>

Other news sounds Great, specially the Doctor stuff, WOW!!

Here's what i did for the pig herd:
Code:
<TEXT>
    	<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_PIG_HERD_PEDIA</Tag>
    	<English>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</English>
    	<French>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</French>
    	<German>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</German>
    	<Italian>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</Italian>
    	<Spanish>Pigs were originally wild boars in Europe and Asia that were first tamed to be domestic animals about 10000 years ago.  There are many different kinds of pig. Some pigs have a pink skin but there are brown, white and black skinned pigs too. Some pigs have patterns or spots. Something in skin called pigment makes the colour and it's different for different pig breeds. There are about 73 different breeds of pig.</Spanish>
    </TEXT>
	<TEXT>
        <Tag>TXT_KEY_UNIT_BUILDING_PIG_HERD_STRATEGY</Tag>
        <English>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</English>
        <French>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</French>
        <German>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</German>
        <Italian>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</Italian>
        <Spanish>Only subdued pigs can build the pig herd.  It provides a pig resource.  There can only be one per civ. Based on an idea by Sarkyn.</Spanish>
    </TEXT>

Other news sounds Great, specially the Doctor stuff, WOW!!

Thanks. the Great Doctor stuff only has the buildings so far. I still need to get the city screen working. Then I will need to work on the disease stuff. I don't like the Great Doctor causing disease, that is the spy's job :mischief:.

it occurred to me that the stone age "hunting" concept, specifically the "automate hunt" option for combat units, overlaps significantly with basic exploration. Basically my early hunters account for immediate exploration, and exploitation of village bonus early in the game. Therefore the scout unit becomes generally redundant, and/or a strategy you would have to use at the expense of early hunters. Here are some suggestions with no qualification for the actually amount of modding required.

- New/Modified Automate Hunt command that stays within a certain distance from
your borders

- Either an earlier form of scout (tracker?), or immediate access to scouts; honestly, this could be a generic initial unit with 1 strength 2 movement (hunting/war/tribal band/party?) that replaces the warrior (which would then become available either with scouts at hunting or maybe fire/stone tools)

Just some thoughts and sorry if this has already been discussed. Thanks again for everything!

@strategyonly

I am going for Writing right now and (see pics 2-4) of the techs left behind, plus Sedentary comes waay to fast and tribalism is too slow also. I was getting my first tribe being built but by the time it was supposed to be built i had a settler. Need to change it around that "we" get to the StoneAge Club/Axe men before anything else.

Do you think "Sedentary Lifestyle" should come AFTER "Agriculture" then? That way you can have the "Tribe" unit around for a while before the "Settler". What do you think? If so maybe it could mover locations to X12 Y7 on the tech tree. And "Sedentary Lifestyle" could require "Stone Building" and "Agriculture" instead. What do you think?

----------

Ok so I am starting to make a list of all the Stuff I might want to work on. Note not all will make it. I am just brainstorming.

Buildings
- Agave Plantation
- Astrology School
- Boneworker's Hut
- Canoe Builder's Hut
- Date Plantation
- Gas Lamposts
- Megatherium Trainer [Wonder]
- Mammoth Bone Hut [Wonder]
- Mammoth Trainer [Wonder]
- Maple Syrup Grove
- Nomadic Yurt
- Poison Crafter's Hut
- Stargazer's Hut
- Tattoo Hut

Techs
- Acoustics
- Acupuncture
- Ancient Cement
- Ancient Electricity
- Ancient Steamworks
- Ancient Surgery
- Animation
- Archaeology
- Astrogeology
- Astrology
- Ballet
- Baroque Music
- CCD Photography
- Charcoal
- City Plumbing
- Classical Music
- Cosmology
- Cotton Gin
- Court Dancing
- Cyberpunk Engineering
- Dieselpunk Engineering
- Floor Heating
- Folk Dance
- Gas Lighting
- Gearpunk Engineering
- Geology
- Geothermal Power
- Hydroelectric Power
- Ion Propulsion
- Kabuki
- Lead Working
- Lunar Exploration
- Massage
- Marble Working
- Medieval Music
- Mirrors
- Modern Cosmology
- Modern Dance
- Modern Music
- Mosaic Working
- Natya
- Paleontology
- Penicillin
- Plate Tectonics
- Plough
- Poetry
- Quarrying
- Renaissance Music
- Robotic Sky Surveys
- Romantic Music
- Rock Sawing
- Salt Processing
- Solar Power
- Spectroscopy
- Steampunk Engineering
- Sundial
- Surveying
- Telephone
- Terracotta
- The Anchor
- The Razor
- Wax-Casting
- Wootz Steel

*Phew* Ok I will update my list later.

@strategyonly

Your welcome. :D And thanks to you for letting my mods in with your mod. Its so cool how so many different modders have contributed to this mod. It really makes it so much richer and diverse.

(I agree)

Like a "Scavenger" unit or something? I also was thinking about what other prehistoric units there could be. So far all I have come up with is a "Blowgunner" which could require "Poison Crafting" tech.

(Cant find one, sorry)

-------

Some bugs and tweaks ...

- Could it be possible to get the Aztec Unique Unit the "Jaguar" warrior to require "Obsidian Weapons" rather than "Iron Working" tech?

(Done)

Maybe even do the same for the Mayan Unique Unit the "Holkan".

(Moved to Spear_Making)

- You apparently have a "Shaman Hut" and a "Shaman's Hut". The first is in "Shamanism" tech where it should be while the other is under "Mathematics" tech for some reason. I suggest you either delete or merge the 2nd one.

(Done)

@strategyonly

Do you think "Sedentary Lifestyle" should come AFTER "Agriculture" then? That way you can have the "Tribe" unit around for a while before the "Settler". What do you think? If so maybe it could mover locations to X12 Y7 on the tech tree. And "Sedentary Lifestyle" could require "Stone Building" and "Agriculture" instead. What do you think?

(Done)
----------

Ok so I am starting to make a list of all the Stuff I might want to work on. Note not all will make it. I am just brainstorming.

Buildings

............. (great sounds good)

*Phew* Ok I will update my list later.

See bold stuff above. And thx.;)

I don't like the Great Doctor causing disease, that is the spy's job :mischief:.

I like the idea of a Doctor, thats why there is a CDC. Spy's didnt do the stuff, those nasty Doctors did it:lol:

Dr Frank N. Stein ;)

There was a mod suggestion for evil Great People. You would get one but not control it in any way. The GG might declare war on an friendly nation. Any of them may cause a period of anarchy or change your civics. Nothing became of it, but it is somewhere in the RoM forums.

So in hopes to better organize the techs I am making a tech location file. Basically it will list every tech location like this ...

Code:
		<TechInfo>
			<Type>TECH_NOMADIC_LIFESTYLE</Type>
			<iGridX>1</iGridX>
			<iGridY>7</iGridY>
		</TechInfo>

If all goes will all techs will be listed in order from top to bottom and left to right based on the UBER chart I have been posting. All other tech data will stay in their original files, be it the main tech tree or mods (ex. Sports mod). All Y coordinates will be odd numbers to ensure that techs do not overlap.

Once I have them all copied over I can easier add more columns to the tree just by changing the X coordinate. The Prehistoric Era I think has enough space but the other eras could use some more wiggle room. Currently each era have the following ...

Prehistoric - X1 to X9
Ancient - X10 to X13
Classical - X14 to X17
Medieval - X18 to X20
Renaissance - X21 to X26
Industrial - X27 to X34
Modern - X35 to X39
Trans-Human - X40 to Rest

I just realized when you added the prehistoric mod you did not differentiate the colors for industrial and modern eras. I went and fixed my chart based on the old one but once I get into adding Galactic Era techs i will have to fix that and add 2 more colors. Since there are going to be 9 eras there needs to be 9 colors. BTW which file controls the tech era colors?

Anyways since you can only view 3 columns at a time on the tech tree I though I should keep the number divisible by 3 for each era. Prehistoric has 9 so perhaps that should be how many we should have for each era. Some something like ...

Prehistoric - X1 to X9
Ancient - X10 to X18
Classical - X19 to X27
Medieval - X28 to X36
Renaissance - X37 to X45
Industrial - X46 to X54
Modern - X55 to X63
Trans-Human - X64 to X72
Galactic - X73 to X90 (It takes up double)

However now that I look at it some are already maxing out while others would have tons of room. Perhaps a better solution would just to put a blank space between existing columns. Let me know if you guys have a good solution to expanding the tech tree so there is some more room for new techs.

EDIT: Best I just list all the new techs and see how much room I would need ...

Prehistoric
Marriage (Maybe)
Mobile Dwellings (Maybe)

Ancient
Acupuncture
Ancient Music
Ancient Surgery
Divination (Maybe)
Folk Dance
Massage (Maybe)
Natya
Rock Sawing
Sundial
Terracotta
Wax-Casting

Classical
Ancient Cement
Ancient Electricity
Ancient Steamworks
Astrology
Charcoal
City Plumbing
Floor Heating
Irrigation
Kabuki
Lead Working
Marble Working
Mirrors
Mosaic Working
Plough
Poetry
Quarrying
Salt Processing
The Anchor
The Razor
Wootz Steel

Medieval Era
Court Dancing
Medieval Music
Surveying

Renaissance Era
Acoustics
Archaeology
Baroque Music
Classical Music
Cotton Gin
Fertilizer
Gas Lighting
Gearpunk Engineering
Geology
Paleontology
Renaissance Music
Romantic Music
Spectroscopy

Industrial Era
Animation
Ballet
Cosmology
Hydroelectric Power
Modern Dance
Modern Music
Penicillin (Perhaps a Name Change)
Plate Tectonics
Radio Astronomy
Steampunk Engineering
Telephone

Modern Era
Advanced Ballistics (Maybe)
Astrogeology
Atomic Theory (Maybe)
CCD Photography
Dieselpunk Engineering
Geothermal Power
Ion Propulsion
Lunar Exploration
Modern Cosmology
Robotic Sky Surveys
Solar Power

Trans-Human Era
Cyberpunk Engineering
Lunar Colonization [Replaces Space Colonies]
Lunar Tourism
Orbital Manufacturing
Particle Physics (Maybe)

So in hopes to better organize the techs I am making a tech location file. Basically it will list every tech location like this ...

Code:
		<TechInfo>
			<Type>TECH_NOMADIC_LIFESTYLE</Type>
			<iGridX>1</iGridX>
			<iGridY>7</iGridY>
		</TechInfo>

If all goes will all techs will be listed in order from top to bottom and left to right based on the UBER chart I have been posting. All other tech data will stay in their original files, be it the main tech tree or mods (ex. Sports mod). All Y coordinates will be odd numbers to ensure that techs do not overlap.

Once I have them all copied over I can easier add more columns to the tree just by changing the X coordinate. The Prehistoric Era I think has enough space but the other eras could use some more wiggle room. Currently each era have the following ...

Prehistoric - X1 to X9
Ancient - X10 to X13
Classical - X14 to X17
Medieval - X18 to X20
Renaissance - X21 to X26
Industrial - X27 to X34
Modern - X35 to X39
Trans-Human - X40 to Rest

I just realized when you added the prehistoric mod you did not differentiate the colors for industrial and modern eras. I went and fixed my chart based on the old one but once I get into adding Galactic Era techs i will have to fix that and add 2 more colors. Since there are going to be 9 eras there needs to be 9 colors. BTW which file controls the tech era colors?

Anyways since you can only view 3 columns at a time on the tech tree I though I should keep the number divisible by 3 for each era. Prehistoric has 9 so perhaps that should be how many we should have for each era. Some something like ...

Prehistoric - X1 to X9
Ancient - X10 to X18
Classical - X19 to X27
Medieval - X28 to X36
Renaissance - X37 to X45
Industrial - X46 to X54
Modern - X55 to X63
Trans-Human - X64 to X72
Galactic - X73 to X90 (It takes up double)

However now that I look at it some are already maxing out while others would have tons of room. Perhaps a better solution would just to put a blank space between existing columns. Let me know if you guys have a good solution to expanding the tech tree so there is some more room for new techs.

Sounds ok, here is the color: Not Just Another Game Clock in the Config Folder. (btw i just changed Preh to Purple.

Started a test game and the civs beelined toward Sed Lifestyle. So i guess i will have to set up alot more Preq i dont like the way they get to ancient so fast.

Had to more your named folder (Hydro) a little higher (i placed it right above my name) it was interfering with other building, it still interferes with the Apiary, it wont show up for some reason?
I think i might have to move some of the (buildings folder) buildings to permanent buildings file.

EDIT: OK i re-did the AndPreqs and took away some of the beelining. A little unorthodox, but i think it works better?

Watching and waiting..... :)

JosEPh

@strategyonly

Started a test game and the civs beelined toward Sed Lifestyle. So i guess i will have to set up alot more Preq i dont like the way they get to ancient so fast.

EDIT: OK i re-did the AndPreqs and took away some of the beelining. A little unorthodox, but i think it works better?

If it was not clear all the stuff i posted were AndPreqs not OrPreqs. They should all work if you put AndPreqs.

Sounds ok, here is the color: Not Just Another Game Clock in the Config Folder. (btw i just changed Preh to Purple.

I am putting that on my long term projects since its taking forever and I can just do a little bit every so often. Plus there are more important modding to do, like filling in those empty techs.

Had to more your named folder (Hydro) a little higher (i placed it right above my name) it was interfering with other building, it still interferes with the Apiary, it wont show up for some reason?
I think i might have to move some of the (buildings folder) buildings to permanent buildings file.

Yeah my folder needs to be on the bottom of the mods list since I did try to mod/tweak some stuff like the Palisade so it upgrades ok to the other buildings in the "Tower" Mod. Also make sure you have the "Military" mod taken out of out "Strategyonly" folder. You did that right?

Watching and waiting..... :)

Well here is some more to watch (and comment on). I have been going over some buildings I want to create. Here are some possible stats ...

-----

Berry Bushes (Req Gathering)
Cost: 5
Obsolete: Agriculture
Req Terrain: Grassland or Plains

Special Abilities
  • +1 Food

-----

Carrion (Req Scavenging)
Obsolete: Cooking

Special Abilities
  • +1 Food
  • -1 Health

-----

Termite Mound (Req Tool Making)
Obsolete: Cooking
Req Terrain: Forest or Jungle

Special Abilities
  • +1 Food

-----

Boneworker's Hut (Req Bone Working)
Cost: 15
Obsolete: Guilds
Req Resource: Ivory OR Bison OR Deer

Special Abilities
  • +1 Production
  • +1 Gold
  • +1 Gold with Bead Making

-----

Tattoo Hut (Req Tattoos)
Cost: 20
Obsolete: Modern Health Care

Special Abilities
  • +1 Happy
  • +1 Culture
  • -1 Health
  • +5% Culture with Dyes
  • Upgrades to Tattoo Parlor

-----

Poison Crafter's Hut (Req Poison Crafting)
Cost: 40
Obsolete: Alchemy

Special Abilities
  • Free Poison Arrows Promotion
  • +5 Unhealthy

-----

Spear Fishermen's Hut (Req Spear Fishing)
Cost: 25
Obsolete: Sailing
Req Terrain: River

Special Abilities
  • +1 Food

-----

Canoe Builder's Hut (Req Boat Building)
Obsolete: Railroad
Req Terrain: River
Req Building: River Port, Lumber Camp

Special Abilities
  • +5% Trade Route Yield
  • +1 Food with Boat Fishing

-----

Stargazer's Hut (Req Stargazing)
Obsolete: Astronomy

Special Abilities
  • +1 Science

-----

Agave Plantation (Req Fermentation)
Obsolete: None
Req Terrain: Desert
Req Building: Brewery

Special Abilities
  • +2 Gold
  • +1 Happy

-----

I think that's a good amount for me to work on now. I can add more stuff later once I have finished making these. Let me know if you have any ideas on these either to add to or tweak.

EDIT: So these mods are coming along nicely so far. However I have some additional good news, I was able to dissolve the "Education" mod but moving buildings into the Science, Health, Entertainment and Military mods. My goal is to have a mod for each type of game factor so its easier for me to plop new stuff into an existing mod without having to create a brand new one. But not combining too much so there is only one mega mod which would be hard to sort through.

Top Bottom