C2C - Building Review Thread

I will make buttons for these ASAP and Faustmouse/Hydro can put them in.
Great :thumbsup: :D !

Snofru1 can you make a list of ugly building art, like if they have a white background or are meh?

I will do what I can (maybe start even tonight). Could be a longer list, on a number of them you don´t recognize anything at all. BTW, I look at the buttons in world builder and that is also the order they are in.

For those who are interested: I found a tutorial by The_J that covers the basics: Making very simple buttons (and flags) for dummies.

Just got 'Corporation' in my game and switched civics to corporate agriculture.

So...

Megafarms...

...in my middling cities (this is late Renaissance bear in mind) they take about 10 turns to build and give around 80 food, 30 gold, 5 unhealth.

Seems like rather a lot of food!

Having said that I am playing a VERY VERY trade-centric strategy, and get about 80 food per turn from trade roots in these cities, so obviously the two things play off one another somewhat.

1. Farmscraper I - II - III
  2. All Guilds (21 Buildings)
  3. Aerodrome - Grand Aerodrome

1. I would like to keep the Farmscrapers the same.

2. I would like to keep all Guilds the same.

3. The Aerodrome and Grand Aerodrome actually DO have different pictures. The Grand Aerodrome has 4 wings rather than 2 wings.

The rest I agree with or think DH should voice his opinion on them such as the Myth buildings.

Just got 'Corporation' in my game and switched civics to corporate agriculture.

So...

Megafarms...

...in my middling cities (this is late Renaissance bear in mind) they take about 10 turns to build and give around 80 food, 30 gold, 5 unhealth.

Having said that I am playing a VERY VERY trade-centric strategy, and get about 80 food per turn from trade roots in these cities, so obviously the two things play off one another somewhat.

Yeah you must have really good trade. Also it requires Coprate Agriculture which is not the best civic. So it need a great civic building.

For those who are interested: I found a tutorial by The_J that covers the basics: Making very simple buttons (and flags) for dummies.

That's not a good tutorial since its missing the border we put on ours. See Afforess' Turotial for a much better icon/button tutorial.

Megafarm are powerfull, but you will have heavy pollution probelm if you build another high-pollution building...
I tried it, and in industrial era, pollution is too much a problem to keep this civics.

@Hydro
Disagree, the civics is the best at this time.

Hydro, could you PLEASE change the Solar Satellite Powerplant (or whatever it is called) so it CAN'T cause a meltdown? I know you got this idea from Sim City, but let's just assume in civ your designers were smart enough to add a good savety system in the satellite so it will instantly shut down if it isn't pointing 100% excact on the reciver Plant on earth. It's just not worth building it right know.
Maybe we can find a compromise and create and event that makes you lose 1 Pop, 2-4 Buildings and gives +5 :mad: for X turns. Or just increase Flammability.

my current game Begin Renaissance a few of my cities finally got done with most of their building works (I do not Specialize cities i just do not build certain buildings due to Meagre effects and general bad effects)

also i notice the Guilds have been redone since last time i reached them and i'm more inclined now to look at them and disregard them or is the income boost to all cities? (what it Does not state clearly)
the free building in all cities due to Guild thing was neat because it reduced the buildlist ;)

Would it be possible to keep the basic Guilds Button and then add a smaller picture that symbolizes what business the Guild stands for? That has been done with other buildings, too (e.g. Smelters).

Edit: What about adding a small number to the 3 Farmscrapers?

1. That' what I tried but theylooked really bad.

2. Ok numbers ... or better yet roman numerals is better.

the free building in all cities due to Guild thing was neat because it reduced the buildlist ;)

But it was a pain when they went obsoleted and then you now had to build all the buildings you once had for free.

OK, I went through all the building buttons and looked for those with very low contrast. I tried not to be over-critical and did not put those in the list that don´t look great but still allow you to recognize what they intend to show.
Please note that this is just my subjective list and others probably would select differently.

Here we go:

Polis Council
Think Tank
Human Rights Declaration
Herd – Donkey
Herd – Ratite (Flock)
Sponge Farm
Fatty Acids Factory
Oxidation Factory
Hydraulic Factory
Biopolymer Factory
Bionics Factory
Cybernetic Factory
Power Tool Factory
Service Bot Factory
Unmanned Aircraft Factory
Base Jumping Site
Rock Art
Blacknet
Capuchin Crypt
Giverny
Nazca Lines
Taipei 101
Auto-Cannon Battery
Seed Camp - done
Military Spaceport
Seawalls
Deacidification Station
River Sewage Treatment Plant
Cave Painting
Angora Goat Breeder - done (changed by Hydro)
Flounder Nets
Replicator Plant
(Squatter Camps) - this is auto-built so no need to change it
Mad Scientist´s Castle

But it was a pain when they went obsoleted and then you now had to build all the buildings you once had for free.

And if you'd make the guilds build their specific building 1000% faster in every city? (So they are "almost" free?) The SETI Project uses the code for that.

The following are mine so I will comment on them.

Seed Camp - Its a screenshot of the improvement. Not sure what to say.
Military Spaceport - But its of the Starcraft Military base.
Seawalls -This was taken from Sim City and I like it.
Deacidification Station - Taken from Anno 2070, that was the best I could get.
River Sewage Treatment Plant - Taken from Anno 2070, that was the best I could get.
Angora Goat Breeder - Will fix.
Flounder Nets - Um, flounders are camouflaged. They are suppose to be hard to see.
Squatter Camps - Its a squatter s camp there is not much to see. Plus they auto-build.
Mad Scientist´s Castle - :( I liked that one. It took me forever to pick it out.

While I understand the arguments I also think that this has changed quite a lot the direction where Guilds go: Before they gave indirectly :hammers: which were saved by not needing to construct the building. Now the Guilds give :gold: . I would prefer the Guilds to instead provide :hammers: directly, especially in view of the many :gold: giving buildings we already have. And I also think it is quite realistic: Guilds increased the productivity in the cities, e.g. by better eduction or by creating synergisms between the crafts.

The following are mine so I will comment on them.

Seed Camp - Its a screenshot of the improvement. Not sure what to say.
Military Spaceport - But its of the Starcraft Military base.
Seawalls -This was taken from Sim City and I like it.
Deacidification Station - Taken from Anno 2070, that was the best I could get.
River Sewage Treatment Plant - Taken from Anno 2070, that was the best I could get.
Angora Goat Breeder - Will fix.
Flounder Nets - Um, flounders are camouflaged. They are suppose to be hard to see.
Squatter Camps - Its a squatter s camp there is not much to see. Plus they auto-build.
Mad Scientist´s Castle - :( I liked that one. It took me forever to pick it out.

It´s not that I don´t like these buttons. It´s just that they do not have enough contrast so it is very difficult to differentiate them from other buttons. The perfect button is when you look at it and immediately see what it stands for. Sometimes it is just more contrast that is needed (by brightness and/or colour).

Concerning Squatter Camps: True, they auto-build, I have overlooked this. No need to change the button.

So far i have not found one button that is giving me annoyances but as i already stated i just filter on effect Good/Bad and so far i have not found a button that makes me look twice if it is a Good or a bad building :)

but for people that do specialize clear buttons are a smart idea ;)

Insect Manipulation Lab appear to lack a prereq tech, and shows up on turn 1!

I know it sounds weird but what about Unmanned Air Vehicles tech? Controlling bees would technically be a type of "Unmanned Air Vehicle".

Haha :lol: Yeah, you are right. Is the Tech not too far away from Biopunk?

Top Bottom