New Unit Review Notifications

So what's the consensis? Should they be put back to where they were before and each have a different bonus, but none replace each other? OR do you want them left as they are upgrading into each other and then have the event allow for any type?

Or do you want a mixture of both where they can all exist with each other and have different bonuses plus have the even allow for any type of "reme"?

I prefer the original suggestion that they come more spread out and the change to the quest. Ie requiring Iron Working for the Quinquremes and Decaremes (Decars) to Iron Working and the earliest siege tech or something.

Do you have any links or references regarding the use of hexes or later in symmetrical warfare (success against hugely outnumbered or out-teched enemies doesn't prove anything)? If it happened, it's strange that Wikipedia omits it.

Actually, Wikipedia (which isn't the best source for such things) recounts a number of heavier warships that participated in naval battles. For instance, the Leotophoros- an "eight" which was actually said to perform exceptionally well in terms of speed/handling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leontophoros

Wikipedia is an extremely poor source though, for most anything. Even random articles on the web are often more informative- such as this one:

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/GiantShips.htm

Note this passage in particular:

[Catapults] became a part of every up-to-date fortress and siege train, and gradually they began to be deployed in the more mobile warfare of the battlefield. At sea they may have played a role in the naval arms race that led from the trireme, with its three banks of oars, to huge vessels with as many as 40 banks. Evidently the underlying assumption was that catapult fire could decimate the enemy boarding force while their ship was still too far away to grapple or ram. The larger the ship was, the more catapults it could carry and the more stable its firing platform was. This interpretation, then, sees the catapult superceding hand-to-hand warfare at sea as the cannon did 2000 years later. Eventually the advent of the new battle tactics, of armored ships called cataphracts and of Roman efforts to dominate the entire Mediterranean combined to reduce the size of warships once again. In a political parallel to land warfare, the influence of the citizen-rower was diminished in the process.

Are you claiming that decere not deceres is the singular? I would genuinely appreciate it if you could tell me on what basis you do so. The Wikipedia article clearly contrasts "the deceres" with "the quinquereme", strongly implying that it is using the singular in both cases.

No, I believe you are correct in using "Deceres" as the singular. What I was talking about is that "Deceres" is a more appropriate term than "Decareme" or "Decaremes"...

The former is precisely the one-upman-ship lol. What else are flagships for other than PR and perhaps intimidation/psych(-out) warfare?

Are you serious?

Flagships are important for being the heaviest, biggest, and most importantly- hardest to sink ship in a fleet. The flagship needs to be particularly hard to sink as it is the ship the admiral and other naval leadership will typically be found aboard. It's important that it be made difficult for the enemy to sink this ship, so they can't simply easily win a battle by sinking the enemy leader's ship...

Heavy Artillery Platforms were invaluable too. Like I said, particularly in assaults on coastal cities. The biggest and most powerful cities in ancient times were typically heavily fortified coastal cities, and heavy artillery was typically required to break them.

The latter is a troop transport (galley) with more cargo spaces.

They clearly do not benefit from more ranks of oars since they are slower and less manoeuvrable.

I accept your point that their increased bulk allowed them to carry more offensive weaponry and more troops that would also be used in an offensive capacity. But as you concede, they are very much a specialty ship and relied on quins backing them up en masse for any kind of effectiveness. This would make them a very useful add to the mod as an upgrade of the Siege Quin - rather than their current 'role'.

The move to slower, heavier warships in the Classical Period was done for good reason. Boarding became increasingly more important in naval warfare, at the expense of ramming...

Ramming required an enemy to get close enough that they could typically be boarded. The Romans particularly made use of this fact through implementation of the "Corvus" (Crow's Beak) on their Quinquremes, for instance. If an enemy got close enough to ram you, you basically latched a giant bridge with a spike on the end of it onto their ship, and the smaller ship's crew was pretty much doomed.

This actually led the Carthaginians to have to circle around the Roman fleet and approach from BEHIND (and the sides) in the Battle of Mylae:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mylae

On the other hand, if the enemy kept their distance, you could easily outclass their ranged weaponry with a heavier warship's much heavier carrying capacity for siege equipment. Either way, the enemy was in trouble- often their best bet was to turn and run when faced with a slower, heavier enemy fleet. (Quinquremes were themselves less maneuverable than Triremes- but considered superior warships)

Further, if you board an enemy ship, you can capture it and re-use it as a weapon for your side in future engagements- helping to replace your own losses in the battle. Ramming doesn't allow for this (unless the enemy ship's crew surrenders before their ship is catastrophically damaged).

Like I said, the Deceres should have a higher strength than the Quinqureme- but not by much. Maybe only 10-15% higher (making it not necessarily worth the extra cost to build- Size Matters would let you simply train a larger number of Quinquremes, and merge them up where necessary, for a much more cost-effective strategy). Their greatest advantage should be in their ability to bombard enemy cities from the waves (or enemy fleets from a distance), with significantly greater firepower than the Siege Quinqureme.

They should also have a larger cargo capacity than the Quinqureme (with Size Matters, both Quinquremes and Deceres have Cargo Capacity).

The Deceres should not replace the standard Quinqureme in the tech tree either. rather, they should be an (optional) upgrade for the Siege Quinqureme (in much the same way some other units at different tech levels coexist)- but have a higher base strength and ranged firepower.

Regards,
Northstar

See also this Google Book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=_o...=0CFQQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=Leontophoros&f=false

Note in particular this passage, referring to ultra-heavy polyremes (specifically, to several "fifteens" and "sixteens"):

"These warships, the largest single-hulled galleys ever built, were presumably more maneuverable than a double-hulled "eight" and thus effective as massive ramming weapons that could break through defensive barriers whether they were found at harbor entrances or placed around siege platforms like Leontophoros. As we have seen from both Diodorus and Philo, these barriers included floating booms held together with iron plates and spikes, and elaborate pontoon barriers called zeugmata or schediai. Doubtless, Demetrius designed his newest big ships with the coastal cities of Ionia in mind, but the expected battles were quite different from those envisioned by most modern scholars. If my view of these vessels is basically correct, they were not intended for sea battles at all, but served the purposes of siege and countersiege warfare once naval dominance had been secured with other, more maneuverable warships."

As you can see, warships heavier than Quinquremes had extensive utility in naval siege warfare against coastal cities. They were useful both as artillery platforms, and in literally sailing over and crushing or breaking apart heavy naval barriers.

Thus, it seems perfectly appropriate to make the Deceres an upgrade of the Siege Quinqureme- one with higher strength and heavier bombardment capabilities.

Regards,
Northstar

I prefer the original suggestion that they come more spread out and the change to the quest. Ie requiring Iron Working for the Quinquremes and Decaremes (Decars) to Iron Working and the earliest siege tech or something.

I agree (after all, it was my suggestion) :)

I think that the "Decareme" should be renamed "Deceres", and moved to Iron Working + Siege Warfare. It should also be obtainable by upgrading a "Siege Quinqureme", as well as (or instead of?) by upgrading a "Quinqureme".

The "Quinqureme" should be moved to Iron Working.

The Quest should accept Quinquremes or Deceres/Decaremes, as well as Triremes.

Triremes should not become obsolete with Bronze or Iron Working- rather they should coexist alongside Quinquremes and Deceres. They should not become obsolete until the development of the Galleas/Dromon level of ships (which, except for their use of Greek Fire and lanteen sails, were actually in many ways inferior- and a result of the regression of centralized/powerful navies in the Dark Ages).

Regards,
Northstar

I just committed those four new Transhuman units, being: Shockwave APC, Drone Helicopter, Droid Helicopter and Unmanned Trike. All in /Modules/Yudishtira

@TBrd: Could you please give them the "once over", in particular with regard to ranged bombardattack values, and also whether the withdrawal %ages are in what you guys call (I do too:D) the ballpark...

Is there a little primer/documentation/tutorial on the ranged attack XML variables anywhere? If you could possibly do one or point me towards one I would be most grateful. For example, it appeared that some units had more ranged attack entries than others, which led me to lack confidence that I was doing the right thing...

I just committed those four new Transhuman units, being: Shockwave APC, Drone Helicopter, Droid Helicopter and Unmanned Trike. All in /Modules/Yudishtira

@TBrd: Could you please give them the "once over", in particular with regard to ranged bombardattack values, and also whether the withdrawal %ages are in what you guys call (I do too:D) the ballpark...

Is there a little primer/documentation/tutorial on the ranged attack XML variables anywhere? If you could possibly do one or point me towards one I would be most grateful. For example, it appeared that some units had more ranged attack entries than others, which led me to lack confidence that I was doing the right thing...
I THINK these links lead to the right pages here but:
Withdrawal, pursuit and early withdrawal assignments have been planned and can easily be fit into the numeric patterns shown here. I put all the units that have any of those three values under each of these combat class groups and while each group has its own guidelines, which I hope become immediately obvious, you can also see how some units violate those guidelines or blend them with the guidelines of other CCs they may also be a part of. Some CCs have gently expanding values, others flat values across the board. You can see why every point wasn't brought up for mass discussion - there's too many to discuss ;) So far they seem to be working. Then when the game is not on fight or flight, no pursuit or early withdraw exists and the withdrawal value becomes halved (thanks to coding - nothing to be done in the xml itself). This is also across the board and keeps the values to something within 100% (though it doesn't absolutely have to since there's a diminishing return on values over 50% when not on fight or flight.)

Here is the first step of assigning the ranged combat values. Here's how this works:

The values shown on the line that only has the combat class listed shows the base values of the combat class. These amounts will apply to all units of that class as they are programmed right onto the combat class values so in this case the combat classes form the base values. (thus the name of the tags in CC form ending in 'base')

1) Find the x grid value of the unit based on its greatest tech prereq.
2) Place the unit in x grid order among each of the combat classes it has among these CCs.
3) Give some rational consideration to assigning adjusting unit values that are similar and compared to those units around them on the same x grid.

For example, on a particular x grid, range may be holding at 0, accuracy at +15, Damage at +15, Damage Limit at +15 and # of additional targets at +1. Our new unit has numerous guns but the unit moves very fast and doesn't take the most careful aim but also has a tendancy to hit a greater percentage of the individuals in a given target unit as a result of this somewhat chaotic fire pattern. The bullets of the weapon themselves are fairly medium grade for the tech era so probably damage would be standard. However, it doesn't have a very wide angle spray when it fires, no more than the unit that's kinda forming that base established values as explained above anyhow.

So we take from the added accuracy by say 10 and leave it at 5 (now we're at +10) and we leave Damage at the base +15 we're currently running at according to the x-grid region we're in. We add that 10 we took away from accuracy to the Damage Limit (% of individuals tending to be struck in the unit) and we leave the # of additional targets at 1. See how that works?

4) Repeat for each combat class, ignoring the results of the previous combat class and the comparisons it came up with there due to the units around it in the same x-grid on that list. Each combat class gets a review for the unit as if the unit was ONLY using that weapon at this stage.

5) Take the unit definition lines for each combat class evaluated and put them one over the top of the other on a new page. Then:

6) Compare all the base values and take only the highest of each and add them to a line underneath that will be compiled to show what the unit will be finally expressed as in end-game values.

7) Find the highest total of each value and place those down into the final total lines.

8) Figure out what modifier amount will take the unit from the best value among all combat classes to the best total among all evaluations and make THAT the final unit value xml modifier.

9) Take that Final Unit evaluation line and copy it into all the appropriate spots for the unit under its unit combats on this 2nd page of the evaluation which shows only final results of the evals and shows what the unit should be given in the xml.

Hopefully this process makes sense... if not I can add some visual examples.

I have no idea from a modder perspective considering I had nothing to do with those BUT I've seen my wife have the actions available on prophets. A recent fix to Size Matters might've re-enabled them where they were being inappropriately cutoff.

New units

- African Grey Parrot
- Ground Sloth
- Lizard

The Ground Sloth is the one I am not sure about as I had units similar to the other two to check against.

Do the Great Prophets have the Karma/Reincarnation/Resurrection buildings on them yet?

There was an error in the Building Class file which was fixed.

So I was looking at the Moon demo and realizing that the Post-Apocalypse units are not working as intended. They are suppose to be modenr units for old wepaons such as the Urban Crossboman for the Crossbow line. However I can still build the heavy crossbow too. However if I set it so the Heavy Crossbow upgrades into the Urban Crossbowman then it will stay split until Guerrilla Warfare tech meaning even if I get a Gunpower Unit.

However we do have a tag called <ForceObsoleteTech>. So I am thinking we put it on the Heavy Crossbowman and other similar units so they go obsolete at Guerrilla Warfare tech so the Post-Apocalypse units will only show up.

The question is if I do this will the units that upgrade to that until need to tag too and all the way back to the prehistoric units? Such as if the Heavy Crossbowman has it will the normal Crossbowman need it? And then the Light Crossbowman and the Bellybowman and so on.

What do you guys think?

@TB

I have been adding a bunch of animals in. Most are just variants of existing species so they should work like the others. However I recently added an Opossum. When doing the combat classes I looked for a "Play Dead" combat class, but there was none. Perhaps you could add one in the future.

I am thinking it could work similar to a species escaping, but in this case the aggressor passes over it. In short it is another way to avoid being attacked.

Oh and here are the new animal units so far ...

- Malaysian Tapir
- Brazilian Tapir
- Mountain Tapir
- African Elephant
- Pygmy Hippo
- Opossum
- Numbat
- Cuscus
- Thylacine
- Wombat
- Brushtail Possum
- Ethiopian Wolf
- Fennec Fox
- Maned Wolf
- Glyptodon
- Babirusa

@TB I am working on a couple of new units, tarantula and scorpion. What sub classes should they be? My first guess is
Code:
			<SubCombatTypes>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_WILD</SubCombatType>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_ANIMAL_INSECT</SubCombatType>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_METHOD_HAND_TO_HAND_ONLY</SubCombatType>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_ANIMAL_COMBAT_FLEEING</SubCombatType>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_SPEED_FAST</SubCombatType>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MOTILITY_FOOT</SubCombatType>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_QUALITY_MEDIOCRE</SubCombatType>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_GROUP_PARTY</SubCombatType>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_SIZE_TINY</SubCombatType>
				<SubCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_HEALS_AS_ANIMALS</SubCombatType>