Job advertisements (mainly for beginners)

Faustmouse

Deity
A lot people want to help this mod, but don't know whom to ask or how to start. Or they can't mod nor have basic knowledge in informatics. That's what this thread is for: I will update the first post with all new incoming "jobs", small (or bigger) tasks that would be nice to get done or even need to be done. I will list requirements for your skills and who you can contact for further questions. Also, feel free to simply post in this thread if you are interested in a task, or if you also have a task that should be done.

A few things to clarify:

- Even if I call it "job", there is no payment. This should be obvious, I just want to be sure. We all do this as a hobby and none of us is getting money for it. Your reward is seeing your stuff in this awesome game, a better game in general and depending on how much you do: A name for the Credits.

- Even if a task is taken by someone, this doesn't mean you can't say you wanna help. Some tasks are not very good to share, but others will be a lot easier if more people working on it.

- If you realize half-way that you don't have enough time or simply don't want to do a task anymore - no worries! Everything helps, even if it's just a little bit.

- You don't need to know how to mod. Some tasks only require basic reading and writing skills. But if you are interested, we'd be happy to teach you how to mod. I for myself didn't know anything, and after only half a year I'm pretty confident with XML now and even tried python.

This said, here are the tasks you can help.

1) Improving the Pedia

Skills required: Reading and Writing, no XML. If you want, this XML is incredibly easy and you'll learn it in less then 10 minutes. And ideal start!

Why? To make the game more easy to understand for causal players and players new to the mod.

Discription: Some strategy texts for buildings/units/techs etc... are a little outdated/inaccurate. Also, some pages in the strategy section need to be updated / removed. Your job would be finding those missmatching entries and write something better. Even if you just want to find them and are to lazy to write something on your own: It helps! Even if you just find and update a handful: It helps!

-----------------------​

2) Translating

Skills required: Reading and Writing, and confident in: French, German, Italian or Spanish (are there more languages in the mod?). Also, XML is not really required, but it helps a lot if you can do it. Again, this is REALLY easy and won't take longer then 5-10 minutes to understand. Probably even less then 1 minute ;)

Why? Some people aren't that good in english and want's to play this mod too.

Discription: Textfiles have tags for different languages. Default is english. Your job is to look through text files, see which aren't translated in your language of choice and then simply write the translated text in the correct tags (If you don't know what tags are: I'll be happy to explain that! :) )Some people working on this already, but there are a lot files and new are added almost daily.

Spanish goes here.

French goes here.

German goes here.

Italian goes here.

-------------------------​

3) Finding missing Wonder Clips

Skills required: Only reading and writing.

Why? It will polish the mod more and is a "nice to have".

Discription: Your job is just to find and list all wonders / national wonders without a video clip when built. If you want to, we'd be very happy if you'd make your own (static) movieclip for them. This obviously requires some skills in picture/movie programs.

Additionally, we want to convert all Wonder Clips into static ones for the main release. So if you want to do this (instead or additinally), be our guest.

----------------------------​

4) Finding ugly icons

Skills required: As above: only writing skills

Why? Mainly polishing reasons, but it's also quite annying if you can't tell what building it is just by the icon.

Discription: Your job is simply to find ugly/unrecognizable icons and list them. If you want to, you can also post better icons as replacement or, which would be really awesome: If you make the icons yourself. If you don't know how to do this, we can teach you. Shouldn't take more then 1-2 hours to learn the most important skills for doing this.

---------------------------​

5) Spotting historic/scientific inaccuracies

Skills required: Knowledge in a specific field (History, Chemistry, Material Science, whatever)

Why? We want to be educational as well. Our team can't be experts in every aspect, so there might be some mistakes.

Discription: Just find and clearify mistakes. For example, if you know for sure that the Pyramides were made of wood and not stone, post it. Or that a mineral in game comes at Industrialism, but was used by ancient greeks as well. Or that you don't need nanoactuators to build anti-gravity devices. I don't know.

They should be posted here.

------------------------​

6) Convert scenarios to C2C / make scenarios

Skills required: Usage of the WB, patience.

Why? Everybody loves scenarios!

Discription: There are a lot good scenarios out there! But C2C has so much more resources, terrains and features. So we can be more detailled, but it also requires someone to update these scenarios to C2C. If you have no idea how to make scenarios, just ask if you are interested. We'd be happy to teach you!

7) Finding missing / ugly tech quotes.

Skills required: A deep and clear voice; a decent microphone.

Why? Polishing reasons...

Discription: Some techs have dublicate quotes, some have mismatched audio/text quotes, some have simply too long text quotes, some have no quote (audio or text) at all, some have unfitting quotes, some have just "bad" quotes etc...
Your job would it be to find and enlist those quotes. If you want to, you can find replacements. Or even record new audio quotes (therefore the deep voice, and a decent micro).

Techquotes for audio here.

Tech Quotes as text here.

-----------------------------​

8) Make a list of buildings that fit for the "Capture Modifier".

Skills required: just reading and writing.

Why? we have a tag now that modifies the chance for capturing slaves. I applied it to units, combat classes, promotions and civics, but it still isn't used on buildings.

Discription: The current system makes it IMO to easy to get slaves. The modifier on building can manipulate all of your units or just those in the city.

Since you can't capture on defense, you have 3 options:

a) Increase/decrease Capture chance for all your units (mostly for wonders)
b) Increase/decrease Capture resistance for all your units (mostly for wonders)
c) Increase/decrease Capture resistance for all units in the city

What you need to do is make a list of what building should manipulate capture chance or resitance. If you want to, you can suggest values. This will help me a lot for implenting it, since I don't have enough time to make this list by myself.

9) Adding Tourism Property to Wonders

Skills required: basically none, only a bit XML that can be learned in less then a minute.

Why? We'd like to expand the property system, this would be the first step towards tourism.

Discription: The tourism property would add more towards a peaceful gameplay, which is heavily war-encouraging at the moment. Your job would it be to implent the trouism property to all wonders that provide culture. This sounds harder then it is. It is just copy and paste and then adjust the number in the >< correctly. It should be equals the culture a building gives (if interested, post here or PM me or Hydro).

10) Help to implent the electricity property

Skills required: Knowledge in energy consumption, or willingness to read about it.

Why? We want this property as accurate as possible.

Discription: First step is to review / update a list that is already existing with accurate amounts of energy consumption / production. Next step would be the actual implention of this, after some work by more advanced modders.

My french is way better than my english, so I can help with 2/ : French translation.
And so, 1/, but in french only... (would be fun to have a better pedia in french than in english :D)

Note: on wonder clips we only want static ones in the main release and SVN to keep the size of the mod down but we do have movie ones as well we just don't advertise it well.

A lot people want to help this mod, but don't know whom to ask or how to start.

6) Convert scenarios to C2C / make scenarios.

I only started playing C2C this year and enjoyed it - so I added the Natural Wonders to the SEM scenario. My first real use of WB (apart from cheating!). I posted that in the SEM thread. I am still playing 2 (USA and Africa starts) initial games and updating the world map as I go along. But my skills and knowledge of WB are limited and I make mistakes, or take longer to make changes. But that is how you learn - even though it can be frustrating at times.

C2C has so much more resources, terrains and features. So we can be more detailled, but it also requires someone to update these scenarios to C2C. If you have no idea how to make scenarios, just ask if you are interested. We'd be happy to teach you!

Keep me updated on new resources, terrains and features and I will try to add them to the SEM map, if you think that is still needed. Most people seem to want bigger maps. But even if I had a more memory efficient PC, I would still play standard size for quicker games.

Also advice (pointers to web sites etc.) on where to place new features on the map (which countries) would be good. Space is limited on a standard size map, so only a few can be placed.

Guidance on which terrain, features or bonuses should be placed. A generated map probably has this info - but a pre-made map is up to the modifier. I am the latest in a long line.

If you could point me to threads about using WB, that would be usefull. (I have seen parts of the wiki, so know where that is.) But for instance when in WB how do you find the x,y coordinate of a plot. Tricks of the trade things.

Basically, I can change terrain and add/remove bonuses. But sometimes forget to remove a coastal feature if I change it to land. I can also use notepad/++ to edit the file, which is how I found about the coastal feature. :)

It would also be nice if some one in the team gave feedback on the SEM map, when new versions are posted. i.e. alterations/additions/removal etc.

Should I start a new thread (so the latest version is in the first post) or just post at the end of the existing one?

Finally - I have started to read through the GEM thread to see what changes that they have made that I can incorporate into SEM - but on a much smaller scale.

Why? We want to be educational as well. Our team can't be experts in every aspect, so there might be some mistakes.

Sometimes I feel like I have to try to be. I have looked so many things up over the years, its like I have gone back to school just learning everything from history to science.

Anywho glad you made this topic.

good job then, i haven't played the SEM, because I am one of those that prefers bigger maps :(

Well - if I could, I would play Large map size, but I do not think there is a Large Earth Map. And I think that the GEM size would be to much for my tastes. Just guessing as I can not even load the GEM map. :(

Sometimes I feel like I have to try to be. I have looked so many things up over the years, its like I have gone back to school just learning everything from history to science.

And you did a pretty amazing job here :goodjob: But still... for example, I never heard of Pyrite Ore. Maybe it's different in English, but pretty sure this term is wrong since "Pyrite" it not a metal or salt, but a mineral.

Well - if I could, I would play Large map size, but I do not think there is a Large Earth Map. And I think that the GEM size would be to much for my tastes. Just guessing as I can not even load the GEM map. :(

That's a shame... especially since I think smaller maps might be better cause you can actually finish a game :mischief:

3) Finding missing Wonder Clips

Skills required: Only reading and writing.

Why? It will polish the mod more and is a "nice to have".

Discription: Your job is just to find and list all wonders / national wonders without a video clip when built. If you want to, we'd be very happy if you'd make your own (static) movieclip for them. This obviously requires some skills in picture/movie programs.

Additionally, we want to convert all Wonder Clips into static ones for the main release. So if you want to do this (instead or additinally), be our guest.

Given this is a pet hate of mine getting wonders with just Blue Screens, I am happy to help with this. Not sure if I can create new movies, but happy to find them.:gripe:

5) Spotting historic/scientific inaccuracies

Is there a thread for this? Frederick I Barbarossa (German hero) lived in the 12th century, but requires Nationalism (extremely late Renaissance) to build... Mixup with Frederick the Great maybe - I confess I used to think (and to some extent still do:mischief:) that "Frederick the Great" refers to Barbarossa.

And I agree about Pyrite. Pyrite is one kind of iron ore (as is haematite).

Given this is a pet hate of mine getting wonders with just Blue Screens, I am happy to help with this. Not sure if I can create new movies, but happy to find them.:gripe:

Awesome! Would be cool if you'd provide a list with this. Pretty sure here are ppl around that can tell you how to make static movies. Should be relatively easy I guess. Who usually makes them? DH? Sargon? Sparth?

Is there a thread for this? Frederick I Barbarossa (German hero) lived in the 12th century, but requires Nationalism (extremely late Renaissance) to build... Mixup with Frederick the Great maybe - I confess I used to think (and to some extent still do) that "Frederick the Great" refers to Barbarossa.

And I agree about Pyrite. Pyrite is one kind of iron ore (as is haematite).

Hmm.... don't know. Maybe just start a thread? I can link it in the job description then.

Awesome! Would be cool if you'd provide a list with this. Pretty sure here are ppl around that can tell you how to make static movies. Should be relatively easy I guess. Who usually makes them? DH? Sargon? Sparth?

I thought I had documented how to make a static movie in the Modders Doco thread. Ok I only did a basic outline of what was needed here. I should do it in detail I suppose.

I thought I had documented how to make a static movie in the Modders Doco thread. Ok I only did a basic outline of what was needed here. I should do it in detail I suppose.

Yes, this would be awesome if Iceman wants to take over this :goodjob:

Top Bottom