zulu

sekong

Net Surfer
Impi 1/2/2 no resource. Upgrade of spearman

Well you beat me to the punch by just minutes ;)

Another early unit! Well all I can say is the CSU doesn't encourage me to be Zulu.

I still like the War Elephant (no resources), or the Chinesse Rider (nice upgrade).

I am really dissapointed.
The greek Hoplite is also an upgraded version of the spearman and +1 def is better for a defensive unit than +1 movement.

And I thought bronze was NO resource!? :confused:
so why
It requires no resources to build
???

I thought hoplite needed bronze, but seems I'm wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

And it's just my 2nd visit of civ3.com to discover Zulu

Originally posted by DaEezT
I am really dissapointed.
The greek Hoplite is also an upgraded version of the spearman and +1 def is better for a defensive unit than +1 movement.

And I thought bronze was NO resource!? :confused:
so why
???

hmm... well not too bad.. No resources and the extra movement point are good. Seeing as movement is supposed to be of more importance in civ 3

Originally posted by sekong
I thought hoplite needed bronze, but seems I'm wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

And it's just my 2nd visit of civ3.com to discover Zulu

Bronze is not a resource in Civ III. Bronze working is required to build spearman or Impi, but it's not a resource like Iron that needs to be connected via roads, etc.

The Impi is a fantastic early-game rush unit. They're cheap and fast, so you can crank out a bunch of them, quickly surround an enemy city, starve it down, and then swoop in for the kill.

Dan

I think this is a great unit, too bad it's wasted on the Zulu's and not available to a builder civ!

The reason I like them is that the extra movement point will allow the Zulu commander to free up a lot more of his troops for attacks on his enemies.

Spearmen are the basic unit used to defend towns and cities for most of the early part of the game. Normally you'd have to station a couple of units in each town as defense because spearmen can't easily move from one city to another. THIS UNIT CAN! Therefore you can station just one unit per city and quickly move them to another that is threatened. This will be even more important as the ZOC rules have been changed.

Finally, I understand that cities can support only a limited number of units. With this unit Zulu leaders can direct more units to the attack without compromising their defense.

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

The Impi is a fantastic early-game rush unit. They're cheap and fast, so you can crank out a bunch of them, quickly surround an enemy city, starve it down, and then swoop in for the kill.

Dan

This is a good news; thank u dan!
Hmm...I remember once in Civ2, I landed about 14 riflemen near the Spanish Capital, and somehow all but 4 rmen survived when i tried to attack city...i had to starve it down to death later....ahh, the memories:D

Anyhow this is good news! It usually takes a lota turns to build enough impis to starve down a city (i.e. at least 6 impis needed i guess :confused: ) and even more turns to starve down a city, which means a decent player would have established at least 4 or 5 cities by that time. I guess the starvation tactic would be cool cuz then one would be able to have a golden age slightly later rather than when one has only like 2 cities :cool:

This a good thing to balance Civ out. At first on Civ3.com, I looked at the Impi's stats and I thought they stunk, but I read the part about them being so cheap. I mean you could just make a 100 Impis and just blockade a whole city. At least, there cheap because I didn't know that bronze wasn't a resource at first. This is going to be really interesting how the other 5 civs come out. I can't wait only 11 more days til the best strategy game ever!

Yes, this is all true.
However, they gave this ability to quite possibly the most aggressive Civ on the board. You better hope you have built temples so you can pray for a large body of water to be between you and them.

Yes, this is all true.

Acute observation - the information is coming from one of the developers of the game, after all.

Cranking out a lot of impis to surround an enemy city before starving it out and descending in for the kill seems like a remarkably Zulu tactic. Firaxis has done a lot to make the various cultures more unique and colorful.

Lets face it, if you want to get ahead early, the choice is the Greeks (which I won't play because I prefer a later peak although the new aggregate scoring system may change my mind). But the Greeks have one of the best CSA combos: commercial and scientific and with their phalanx they can relax their defenses early in the game and focus on expansion and culture improvements rather than having to garrison multiple units in each city. But, on the other hand, the requirement that you literally protect your resources and infrastructure (roads and colonies) in order to maintain you resources that are needed to build any improvements at all. Ahhh....speculating is so nerve wracking!!!:confused:

I think its a realistic unit. The Zulu civ could have dozens of these little bastards when your 4 English Musketeers land on their shores and slaughter them all!:lol:

Like I said, realistic!

Yes, those Impis better be nimble when the English Cavalry/Dragoons arrive! There's no point being fast and quick if the enemy has a gatling gun firing grape shot!

i think the impi will indeed be very powerful at the early stages of a game. if you look at the revised zoc-system and the possibility to enslave workers and settlers a few impis will probably be able to effectively hinder your opponents expansion because of their mobility and high defense. if youre able to block off your opponents horses and iron early enough he wont stand a chance to defend against your early choke.

Top Bottom