Language translations for leader sayings

Not had any luck finding translations for the other leaders. Guess we'll have to wait for Korean, Zulu, Portugese or Viking leaders til we get civs which'll be easier to translate. =|

Darn it, we must find that person! Let the search begin! :)

Hello there, let me lend a hand on Spanish first. I'd translate Repugnante to Pestilent, also, its pagareIs (old spanish)

Hate Hear it 2 is more akin to nowadays "You were saying?" but in old spanish.

Hate Hello is ok.

Neutral hear is ok as well

Peaceful is ok but it is 'bendecirá' not 'bendecir a'

BOTH Spanish and Inca leader music are REALLY good. I'll give it a playtest on nextweek but I managed to heard Pachacuti saying MANAN = No when I suggested that he gives me 400 Gold. The other negative also includes some manan but it is way more formal. A simple manan is the no your father would give you when you ask him something too big.

i finally heard giulius caesar speaking...he seems to speak with an italian inflession because i dont think he have the right latin tone, i confirm that he didnt have an italian dialectal tone but the actor seem to be a non-italian native, it's like to listen De Niro or Al Pacino in Godfather part II....probably the actor is an american that know the italian.

He's from French Canada and studied Latin for years. He speaks a classical pronunciation. I think he's damn good for the accent. I mean, while we're getting better and better at knowing how consonants and vowels were pronounced and which syllables were stressed (which, with a couple of exceptions, he got right) how are we supposed to know the rhythm with which Latin speakers spoke? I think Italian works quite fine there.

He's from French Canada and studied Latin for years. He speaks a classical pronunciation. I think he's damn good for the accent. I mean, while we're getting better and better at knowing how consonants and vowels were pronounced and which syllables were stressed (which, with a couple of exceptions, he got right) how are we supposed to know the rhythm with which Latin speakers spoke? I think Italian works quite fine there.

sorry, i didnt mean that he speak garbage latin, i only think that no one can know how to speak it with right rhythm and accent, no offense intended by me in my post...only consideration about how i feel the latin speech under my italian native point of view...

I never studied latin nor i havent listen it ( some church in italy still have some function in latin language but im not a hardcore church user x) ) but i know very well that italian came from a medieval distrorsion of latin, pass trought varius barbarian invasion, and finally born in its ancient form in tuscany where they still spek a form of ancient italian (that now is their dialectal form)...i dont know if our rhythm and accent is the right one for using in latin speach...

Don't we have a couple Peruvians on CFC? Does anyone know Quecha?

Since no one has done anything for Montezuma yet:

Intro: I am Montezuma, emperor of the Aztecs... (Nicuani Moctezuma, Imperator de los Aztecas...)(it should have been: "Nicuani Motecuhzoma, Uey Tlatoani (of the) Mexica....", I dont know why they used the spanish words for emperor/aztec)
NeutralNo02: No! (Ahmo!) (NeuralNo 1 and 3 both have Ahmo as well, along with another word.)

I dont know enough Nahuatl to do any more.

Also Hiawatha mentions Haundenosaunee (people of the longhouse) in his intro, which was the Mohawk name for the Iroquois confederacy.

Nebuchadnezzar speaks Akkadian, so unless we find a scholar in Akkadian (they do exist, do a search for Akkadian dictionary on Google)--chances are slim of getting a translation. All I know (confirmed in a dictionary) is that "Lah!" means "No!"

Itzolotl, do you know how to speak Mohawk/the tongue Hiawatha is speaking? I think that and the Nigerian language Askia speaks, along with Quecha, will be the hardest to find translations for at this point. ANY help for Hiawatha would be appreciated, I will post your translations of a few of Montezuma's sayings.

CHEESE! said:
Doesn't he speak modern Nahuatl? Hence the Spanish.
Montezuma does speak modern Nahuatl. Nahuatl has many variations though--some have more Spanish than others.

Some really minor corrections for Isabella:
In defeated, the litteral translation is "And I must accept it"
Neutral hello should be "greetings", instead of "salutations". Or whatever feels more natural.
Neutral no 3 should be "what?", instead of the litteral translation "how?".
In peaceful, the litteral translation is "God will bless us because of our clemency [etc]". She's not asking for the blessing. I'm not sure if the "because" is grammatically correct in English, but that's the meaning she is trying to convey.

The retranscription is really shaky, though.

On a side note, I find weird that she talks about herself with "yo" (I) instead of "nos" (We), since she is a queen. But whatever.

To turboraton: her use of the 2nd person of the plural when talking to another king or emperor is not really old spanish, it's just absurdly respectful nowadays. This construction has been lost in Latin America, but you could theoretically still use it in Spain. People would look at you weirdly, though, unless you are speaking to the King.

I'll try to correct the retranscription. Most of the mistakes are from forgotten accentuation:

*Attacked: (Repugnante prole del Diablo! Lo pagaréis!)
*Declare War: (Probablemente Dios te perdone. Pero yo no. Preparaos para la guerra!)
**Defeated: (Muy bien. Esta es sin duda la voluntad de Dios. Y debo aceptarla.)
Hate Hear it 1: (Adelante.)
*Hate Hear it 2: (¿Qué decíais?)
*Hate Hear it 3: (Continúa)
Hate Hello: (Y bien?)
Hate No 1: (Eso es inaceptable.)
Hate No 2: (Desde luego que no.)
Hate No 3: (¿Estáis loco?)
Hate Yes 1: (De acuerdo.)
Hate Yes 2: (Desde luego.)
Hate Yes 3: (Creo que es una obligación.)
*Intro: (Dios bendiga aquellos que lo merezcan. Soy Isabel de España.)
**Neutral hear it 1: (Proseguid)
*Neutral hear it 2: (¿Sí?)
Neutral hear it 3: (Estoy escuchando.)
Neutral hello: (Saludos)
*Neutral no 1: (No ante Dios.)
Neutral no 2: (Rehusamos.)
Neutral no 3: (¿Cómo?)
Neutral yes 1: (Muy bien.)
*Neutral yes 2: (Excelente)
Neutral yes 3: (Con la bendición de Dios.)
Peaceful: (Dios nos bendecirá por nuestra clemencia ante el enemigo derrotado.)
*Request: (Espero que este trato reciba su bendición.)

Sorry for being picky.

Isabella I of Castile
She speaks spanish with a a dialect which is natural to Spain (Or rather old spanish). She uses proper words such as preparaos, estais and deciais, which I never hear in spanish dialects from the Caribbean, Central and South American spanish.

Attacked: Repugnant spawn of the devil! You will pay! (Repugnante prole del diablo! Lo pagareis!)
Declare War: God will probably forgive you. But I will not. Prepare for war. (Probablemente dios te perdone. Pero yo no. Preparaos para la guerra!)
Defeated: Very well. This is undoubtedly the will of God. And I accept it. (Muy bien. Estas es induda la voluntad de Dios. Y debo aceptarla.)
Hate Hear it 1: Onward. (Adelante.)
Hate Hear it 2: You were saying? (¿Que deciais?)
Hate Hear it 3: Continue. (Continua)
Hate Hello: And well? (Y bien?)
Hate No 1: That is unacceptable. (Eso es inaceptable.)
Hate No 2: Of course not. (Desde luego que no.)
Hate No 3: Are you mad? (¿Estáis loco?)
Hate Yes 1: I agree. [Okay] (De acuerdo.)
Hate Yes 2: Of course. (Desde luego.)
Hate Yes 3: I think that is an obligation. (Creo que es una obligación.)
Intro: God bless those who deserve it. I am Isabel of Spain. (Dios bendiga aquellos que lo merezca. Soy Isabel de España.)
Neutral hear it 1: Proceed. (Próceir.)
Neutral hear it 2: Yes? (¿Si?)
Neutral hear it 3: I am listening. (Estoy escuchando.)
Neutral hello: Salutations. (Saludos)
Neutral no 1: Not before god. (No ante dios.)
Neutral no 2: [We] Refuse. (Rehusamos.)
Neutral no 3: How? (¿Cómo?)
Neutral yes 1: Very well. (Muy bien.)
Neutral yes 2: Excellent. (Excellente)
Neutral yes 3: With the blessing of God. (Con la bendición de Dios.)
Peaceful: God bless us by our clemency before the defeated enemy. (Dios nos bendecira por nuestra clemencia ante el enemigo derrotado.) I need a second look at this one.
Request: I hope this deal will receive your blessing. (Espero que este trato reciba su bendicion.)

As someone has mentioned before i find it odd that European leaders make use of familiar forms for the second person (Bismark using “du” instead of “Sie”, Kathy using “ты” instead of “вы” and Nappy using “tu” instead of “vous”).

On the other hand Isabella uses the obsolete form “vos” most of the time, which is 100% correct for her, but for some weird reason she sometimes uses the familiar “tú”:

Declare War: God will probably forgive you. But I will not. Prepare for war. (Probablemente dios te perdone [tú]. Pero yo no. Preparaos [vos] para la guerra!)

For the text to be coherent it should be: “Probablemente Dios os perdone…”

and even the modern formal form “usted”:

Request: I hope this deal will receive your blessing. (Espero que este trato reciba su [usted] bendicion.)

It should be “Espero que este trato reciba vuestra bendición”

I do find some of Isabella's sentences odd too, but I just limited myself to retranscribe what she said.
I have to say that my retranscription is assuming modern spelling too, but so seem to do the devs, at least in Spanish.

For the disagreements between me and danieldaniel:
-"Esta" in defeated doesn't need to be accentuated, because there can't be confusion between the 2 possible grammatical roles of the world. Note that accentuating it isn't wrong either.
-For the neutral hearing: Both "proseguid" and "proceded" make sense, but since I haven't downloaded the DLC, I guess I am the one who is wrong.

"Usted" wasn't polite enough for the time, but everything else you said couldn't be more true.

EDIT: ok, I found a youtube video where she clearly says "Proseguid", so this is settled. BTW, she really looks like she is going to hit you with the cross when you declare war on her :lol:

Hehe, I have downloaded the DCL, but I've been too bussy playing dwarf fortress lately to pay any attention to CIV. I'm also at work now and can't listen to the sound files. I'm assuming JDvasqued had the transcription all right too, meaning you could be right about the proseguid/proceded thing.

I already deleted the spelling corrections from my post. There's no point in having both of us posting the same thing. Besides there were a couple corrections in your post that I had overlooked.

Top Bottom