SP AI post 1.3?

LordGek

Prince
Hey Gang,

I just picked up the DS version the other day and find while this isn't Civ as I've known it for years on the PC, it's actually a pretty clever little game.

I'm now becoming sorely tempted to make the big jump and snag this game on one of the big systems (which means I'll actually have to buy a 360 or PS3).

So can any of you hopefully answer my most burning questions?

How is the SP AI since the 1.30 patch?

Can the AI ever win the game via Cultural or Economic victories (the classic question that to me determines is the AI just there as a hazard to the player or actually programmed to win itself)?

Can the AI play the scenarios competently (adapt it's play style to the special conditions of the scenario or map, including the new DLC stuff)?

I only have the DS version myself, so I can't comment on the 'post-1.30' situation.

I can say that I've been beaten by Spaceship/tech victory, and I've had to 'take out' AI civs that were approaching economic and culture victories. ("Sir! The French are building the World Bank in Paris!" "WHAT? Wheres that nuke we built...? :evil:")

Even before the patch, the AI still tries to go for any type of victory, and usually does things according to their traits, which is always good. The only AI I think is badly coded is the Greeks, becuase all they do (most of the time) is stay under democracy with their courthouse and try to out-tech you.

Over-all it's an awesome game, and I'd be glad to help you out in MP if you get an Xbox 360.

Even before the patch, the AI still tries to go for any type of victory, and usually does things according to their traits, which is always good. The only AI I think is badly coded is the Greeks, becuase all they do (most of the time) is stay under democracy with their courthouse and try to out-tech you.

Over-all it's an awesome game, and I'd be glad to help you out in MP if you get an Xbox 360.

I just went out and snagged myself a XB360 Pro along with CivRev (so I can sang the patch, and extra maps/scenarios) and Culdcept Saga.

I also snagged all of the extra wonders and artifacts plus almost all of the solo content (only missing the Victory Pack at this point, is it a worthy addition?).

The packs all depends on your taste. Personally, I haven't bought any of the packs (Though I will be buying the map/scenario ones) because most of the Wonder/Artifact packs don't "connect" with me. If I were to buy a pack, it'd have to be something I'd personally be interested in.

The packs all depends on your taste. Personally, I haven't bought any of the packs (Though I will be buying the map/scenario ones) because most of the Wonder/Artifact packs don't "connect" with me. If I were to buy a pack, it'd have to be something I'd personally be interested in.

Fair enough.

I guess I'm just curious what something like the Victory Pack is all about since these scenarios sound a lot like the existing scenarios specialized for various victory types (but then again aren't "Ice Age" and "Global Warming" just "Attack of the Huns" in special terrain.

Hey Gang,

I just picked up the DS version the other day and find while this isn't Civ as I've known it for years on the PC, it's actually a pretty clever little game.

I'm now becoming sorely tempted to make the big jump and snag this game on one of the big systems (which means I'll actually have to buy a 360 or PS3).

So can any of you hopefully answer my most burning questions?

How is the SP AI since the 1.30 patch?

Can the AI ever win the game via Cultural or Economic victories (the classic question that to me determines is the AI just there as a hazard to the player or actually programmed to win itself)?

Can the AI play the scenarios competently (adapt it's play style to the special conditions of the scenario or map, including the new DLC stuff)?
The AI is actually pretty decent in persuing a victory, specially cultural and economic. However in warfare the AI fails utterly, and i havent seen much improvement after 1.30. They frequently send a single unit/army into battles they are doomed to lose, wait a little, then repeat. And they pretty much never perform any form of a coordinated attack. Also, ALL AI pilots in civrev are dedicated kamikazers, frickin' annoying.

Yeah, as most people point out, the AI does know how to try and win, but you can almost always force a victory by military means since the AI is really no good at all at fighting wars. I haven't noticed any real change recently, but I haven't been playing as much (playing vs the AI is starting to really bore me due to the aforementioned "if you just push hard enough you win each and every game" issue)

So what is the big trick to get past the highest AI's guaranteed GGs?

I can't really comment on the "push" aspect because I don't rush or hardly ever go for a domination victory. I did once and that was just to get one of the achievements. As a defensive-minded player who pursues tech, culture and economic victories I can tell you that my opinion of the AI hasn't changed much since the 1.30 patch.

I've seen the AI almost always stick to the assumed direction of their civilization. Indians go for tech, French go for culture, etc. The only diversion of this is when the AI is jump-started on a path of domination due to the early game. Then I've seen otherwise cultural-minded civs push more for a military-decided win.

What has not changed is the AI's incredible unfairness. Last night I was in a race to the finish with England. I, as the Russians, was building the World Bank and they were building the United Nations. All three civilizations left were attacking me every single turn, yet two of the AI civs casually remained in a peace treaty with England as they calmly completed a wonder that would have won them the game. I emerged victorious, but the point of this example is that the AI will not equally pursue domination of other AI as it will you. This puts you as a player at a serious disadvantage on higher difficulty settings, where the AI is already receiving other bonuses you are not.

I can't really comment on the "push" aspect because I don't rush or hardly ever go for a domination victory. I did once and that was just to get one of the achievements. As a defensive-minded player who pursues tech, culture and economic victories I can tell you that my opinion of the AI hasn't changed much since the 1.30 patch.

I've seen the AI almost always stick to the assumed direction of their civilization. Indians go for tech, French go for culture, etc. The only diversion of this is when the AI is jump-started on a path of domination due to the early game. Then I've seen otherwise cultural-minded civs push more for a military-decided win.

What has not changed is the AI's incredible unfairness. Last night I was in a race to the finish with England. I, as the Russians, was building the World Bank and they were building the United Nations. All three civilizations left were attacking me every single turn, yet two of the AI civs casually remained in a peace treaty with England as they calmly completed a wonder that would have won them the game. I emerged victorious, but the point of this example is that the AI will not equally pursue domination of other AI as it will you. This puts you as a player at a serious disadvantage on higher difficulty settings, where the AI is already receiving other bonuses you are not.

It's a bit cheesy to be sure but I'm betting they didn't want to create too many situations where two powerful AI Civs battle each other into bloody heaps with you just coming in to mop up whatever is left.

Top Bottom