WW2 Unit Graphics

German prototype and late war planes n tanks. Aren't stripes great?

Attachments

• fairline WW2 1946.png
    fairline WW2 1946.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,028
Greetings all,

I note some of the posted units are in squared sections larger than the allotted space in the .GIF files for both MGE and TOT. Editing them is sure to be tedious. Am I missing something here? How can I best use the units if they're too big to paste into my files? Thank you.

Ah, I guess you have vanilla civ2, or civ2 MGE Alsbron? Most of the units drawn in the last 10 years or so are larger as they are for civ2 Test of Time, which was essentially an overhaul of civ2 based on the same core game but with the possibility of better graphics, larger events memory and more events macros for scenarios etc. I highly recommend getting it, as it will allow you to play the ToT scenarios which are largely all that's been released by this community over the last decade or so.

Have a root around on this highly useful site http://users.tpg.com.au/jpwbeest/ by Catfish - it will explain differences between versions of civ and how to get the best out of ToT

You can probably pick up ToT on ebay or maybe GoG?

Fairline, thank you for the explanation. I DO have Test of Time installed, but I'm sure that last night I copied units.gif from my TOT directory into my project folder, only to find the units were comparable to the older Civ2's and not the new unit format many of your great ones are in. I know this because I had the extra unit slots but the graphics were original Civ2. Any thoughts?

Right, got it. If you look in your install folder there is a units.gif in old vanilla civ2 format and a units.bmp, with larger unit slots. Use the latter - the game ignores the .gif file. Have a good read of Catfish's site I linked above - this will let you know what you need to do in terms of patching, settings and also has lots of resources for new units/cities/terrain files for the vanilla game

The files tot use are in the "original" "extended" etc folders.

I couldn't find a German flamethrower, so I spliced my own:

Last edited:
I've only ever found the chrome myself. The only US WW2 bombers I've seen of his in that color scheme are the B-24 and B-25, which he made long ago for my EotRS scenario.

When you get to be my age, tootall (going on 41 this January), you can't be expected to remember every thing you have seen with total recall. :old:

Actually, I'd just forgotten the full extent of what was actually covered in that collection. That's how extensive it as.

Hehe! I too, am a greybeard - I think it goes with the wargamer territory...! :)

BTW - Tootall, those workpads of Gareth's are amazing! :D
Hats off to you both...!

I had hit a sort of brickwall in regards to unit layout, even with 126 units, which actually gave
me too much to choose from...But these files are good inspiration and so much variety...And
a few unseen units hidden in there, like the Zundapp and sidecar...Highly recommended GFX!

Top Bottom