How are the Danes? They a conquest-only civ?

FlorbFnarb

Warlord
I assume the idea is to stay at war as much as possible? With two UUs and two advantages oriented entirely toward war, I get the idea is to simply FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT whenever at all possible.

Denmark is another civilization that has a double UU like Spain does. Their berserker really starts out with amphibious promotion which allows no penalties when attacking from the sea or crossing a river. Upgrading a berserker to a norwegian ski infantry would allow the unit to keep the amphibious promotion along with the snow and tundra promotion that the norwegian ski infantry already has.

I never played Denmark, but I think they're meant for raider kind of gameplay. Not conquest, you can go for any victory, but instead of having abilities to speed up their victory, they're meant to harrass and slow down other players.

Danes suffer in that what they were intended for (taking enemy coastal cities on a different landmass) basically became better to do via other standard units in G&K. (Fast moving melee Sea units)

It retains an advantage attacking a city one hex from the coast. (Land and attack the near coastal city the same turn after having naval bombarded it.)

Also note that for peaceful expansion, they can also plant cities on new overseas lands quicker (land and settle same turn.)

In addition, conquest can be used to fuel both cultural and diplomatic victories.

Denmark is very underrated. Their main advantage comes from bee-lining Metal Casting and getting an army of berserkers out to flatten your neighbors. As berserkers come a full tech before everyone else gets Longswords...

Its quite a strong strategy - Berserkers are great at attacking from the coast but their extra movement makes them move quite quickly on land and they quite effectively negate the Great Wall bonus too.
The Berserker seems to come at the right place in the tech tree too. It gives you time to get basic infrastructure (i.e National College) out, maybe an early wonder and some cities and the Heroic Epic (don't forget this one) and then once your established you can either conquer enough to slow other civs down or pursue a full domination victory.

It is probably well worth throwing some opening points in Honor to get the Discipline bonus, the free General. That and the Heroic Epic bonus means your berserkers will get a +45% strength bonus which is over 30 - and that comes before other promotions!

They work much better at this strategy then Rome who's UUs come very early on and don't really give you time to expand and conquer at the same time.

The viking fury ua also allows the units to not waste a turn from pillaging so you can say that viking units could be healthier when attacking enemy lands that have improvements. I tried this out once with berserkers and was healing, moving and attacking. This could work well if used with seige units such as trebuchets.

I'm playing a game as Denmark right now and it's going quite well. Some of it was due to luck, but I currently have about 5 or 6 artillery and about 4 Norwegian Ski Infantry (2 of which were promoted from Berserkers) and I'm steamrolling Shaka, whose poor Impis are becoming obsolete.

It's a beautiful thing disembarking your Artillery, setting up, and firing in the same turn :D

I never played Denmark, but I think they're meant for raider kind of gameplay. Not conquest, you can go for any victory, but instead of having abilities to speed up their victory, they're meant to harrass and slow down other players.

This is one of the best comments about Danes.

I assume the idea is to stay at war as much as possible? With two UUs and two advantages oriented entirely toward war, I get the idea is to simply FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT whenever at all possible.

I don't think the Danes perform well as a conquest civ, and I think they tend to be underrated by many players because they try playing them that way.

Instead I see them as an exploration civ - their UA is a fantastic advantage, even on Pangeas and continent maps where you have access to the coast, in quickly moving scouts to grab ruins, settlers to grab city spots, and workers who can disembark and start improving immediately.

The UA is useful for conquest, but it's better for quick attacks against exposed coastal cities (fortunately, this is a common situation for capitals). This isn't a brilliant fit for Civ V's warfare system, sadly, since it's so hard to make peace with someone whose capital you've just taken and the Danes get no particular advantage in extended wars (other than a slight resilience boost to units from pillaging).

This is one of the best comments about Danes.

I agree, and I think it exactly characterises the design intent. Thematically, it's a fantastic fit and well-executed, and I do think the Danes are underrated in Civ V.

But there is a downside: Civ is not a game of raiding and harassing. The Danish gameplay style isn't a great fit for the game's core strategy and mechanics, particularly when taking choice cities, since it leads to infinite spirals of warfare and can force you into a conquest game whether you want one or not.

I agree, and I think it exactly characterises the design intent. Thematically, it's a fantastic fit and well-executed, and I do think the Danes are underrated in Civ V.

But there is a downside: Civ is not a game of raiding and harassing. The Danish gameplay style isn't a great fit for the game's core strategy and mechanics, particularly when taking choice cities, since it leads to infinite spirals of warfare and can force you into a conquest game whether you want one or not.

Actually you can pillage every single tile of your enemy cities then ask for peace and demand gold. Haven't tried something like that but if it works, Danes would be one of my favourite factions :D

The berzerker is quite good. It is a very strong unit that comes very early, especially if you rush it. If you plan to rush them and have the production to make them when you have the tech, you will most likely crush your neighbors with them.

This is their best strategy. Other than doing something like that, Denmark is pretty much mediocre.

In an FFA this strategy isn't super good because you must sacrifice getting civil service & universities up to do this rush and most likely fall behind other players.

It's a beautiful thing disembarking your Artillery, setting up, and firing in the same turn :D

As big a buff as early Berzerkers was to Denmark, in the end this "gimmick" is probably the best thing the Danes have going for them. You can DOW someone, disembark, fire, and capture their city all on one turn. Then get back in the water and head for the next target.

"Everybody out of the water!"

"Okay, everybody back in the water!"

Denmark is a MOBILITY civ, and this does mean they are built for conquest.

Doesn't that require 3 movement? Where do you get the third movement from?

Their UA says "Embarked units have +1 Movement and pay just 1 movement point to move from sea to land." But what it doesn't say, as an undocumented feature, is that, when you disembark, you retain the number of moves you had while you were Embarked rather than reverting back to the normal land movement points.

Their UA says "Embarked units have +1 Movement and pay just 1 movement point to move from sea to land." But what it doesn't say, as an undocumented feature, is that, when you disembark, you retain the number of moves you had while you were Embarked rather than reverting back to the normal land movement points.

That's flipping amazing.

It does sound amazing. Siege units start with 4 move (because they are in the water) can land, set-up, fire, and embark (to have 4 move next turn). I have tried a few games (Deity), but failed to make it work. That script only works to actually capture cities if you have a few units that can start their attack very close to the target. It was disheartening, as it made me feel so incompetent! I may try again on archipelago...

Actually you can pillage every single tile of your enemy cities then ask for peace and demand gold. Haven't tried something like that but if it works, Danes would be one of my favourite factions :D

This works. And 2 factions currently paying me gold per turn :D Plus, I pillaged their tiles numberless times.

Top Bottom