Just beat my first Deity file

Athenaeum

Prince
Just beat my first Deity game, and I just wanted to talk about it a little bit.

I won with Korea and Small/Continents/Quick and a tech victory.

I started off on the same continent as Montezuma, who was the most dominant civ in the game. At the end, he was 3 turns away from winning World Congress, and probably 1-2 turns away from building his last spaceship part (he had one more to go, had researched all the techs, and had like 222 production in capital plus spaceship factory.)

Considering these factors, I think it's fair to say I was dealt a pretty crap hand from the beginning, but I managed diplomacy masterfully. I had spies and intrigue telling me that people were plotting against me the whole game, but I didn't have one war whatsoever, even with Monty next door.

However, considering how close I was to losing, I think it would be bold to say that I'm ready to plan consistently on this level. I still think that Immortal is around my comfort zone.

A question for Deity folks...as Korea, I really wanted to adopt Order, but I ended up doing Autocracy because both Monty and Denmark had adopted that. Happiness was one reason, but diplomacy was by far the most important. I really think this is what kept me alive until the end.

Do you typically let diplomacy be the primary factor in choosing your ideology? Would you adopt an Ideology you'd prefer not to have, just so the warmongering civs don't tear you apart?

...Do you typically let diplomacy be the primary factor in choosing your ideology? Would you adopt an Ideology you'd prefer not to have, just so the warmongering civs don't tear you apart?
If going for a SV with poor land it is imperative imo you don't get DOWed. In the 2 OCC DCL I'm sure many of the victors did just what you did and switched ideology for diplomatic reasons.

what was the other DCL that was OCC?

Also, you're NOT ALLOWED to move back to Immortal once you have won on Deity. You will be permabanned from this plane of existence.

Alright :D not really, but there's plenty of room to improve, you've seen that winning on Deity is not an impossible task

Congrats friend! Was your game enjoyable or stressful? Tried deity diff once but it wasn't that enjoyable game, I was keep trying to catch others at tech and suddenly a huge army appeared nearby my second city and had no chance to defend it, then quit.

Congrats friend! Was your game enjoyable or stressful? Tried deity diff once but it wasn't that enjoyable game, I was keep trying to catch others at tech and suddenly a huge army appeared nearby my second city and had no chance to defend it, then quit.

It was both :) . Like I said, it really came down to the wire. Monty was 3 turns from winning World Congress, and he only needed one more spaceship part.

what was the other DCL that was OCC?

Also, you're NOT ALLOWED to move back to Immortal once you have won on Deity. You will be permabanned from this plane of existence.

Alright :D not really, but there's plenty of room to improve, you've seen that winning on Deity is not an impossible task

The only thing is, I beat my first Immortal game (not counting Vanilla that is) only a couple weeks ago, so I'm not sure if I've even mastered that yet.

Also I beat Deity with Korea, which is still nice, but I'd rather get to the point where I can beat it with a non-OP civ.

Just a scrub peasant coming through, but I have to say, that game you described sounded too stressful for my Liking... Good luck

Winning on Deity small seems possible but one can only be able to tell about its difficulty better after giving it a shot.

Just beat my first Deity game, and I just wanted to talk about it a little bit.

Congrats!

However, considering how close I was to losing, I think it would be bold to say that I'm ready to plan consistently on this level. I still think that Immortal is around my comfort zone.

Deity is addictive I think. Most of my wins have been very close...

Happiness was one reason, but diplomacy was by far the most important. I really think this is what kept me alive until the end.

Absolutely. Monty is pretty loyal, but for the end game you need to share Ideology.

Do you typically let diplomacy be the primary factor in choosing your ideology? Would you adopt an Ideology you'd prefer not to have, just so the warmongering civs don't tear you apart?

I do, absolutely. As you experienced, SV under autocracy is achievable, even though none of the tenets help with that. When I get to Ideologies early, I usually pick my second choice so long as there are free tenets. If I don't have to switch, it’s a win. If I do end up switching, then it’s a win too (freebies, plus something more suited for SV).

Deity winning has been so rare to me. I've only beaten Deity once so beating Deity is significant to me.

Considering my win% is below 20% for random deity rolls, I'm probably not the poster you need.

With that being said, diplomacy is a critical factor for my idealogy selection. Even in the instances where I am among the first, I still take the same idealogy the leader has/or is likely to have. This usually translates to Order even if Freedom would be a better "fit" for the size of my empire. I usually only go Freedom when I think I've got the win in hand, otherwise I'm picking based on where I think the big AIs will go.

Does the AI favor Ideologies where they would be first and get bonus polices or does that have nothing to do with it? It seems I have never seen an AI take an already opened Ideology if there are no other choices. In other words, if your first to choose are you not always going to get to 'competitors' before you get a 'friend' in your Ideology?

Maybe it's because I never pick Order. I used to be big on Autocracy, and lately I have chosen Freedom a lot.

Yes, the AIs like Ideologies with free tenets. The choice is a little bit more complicated than that though, as they will not pick an ideology that does not have a tier 3 tenet supporting their chosen VC.

I've only beaten Deity ONCE, a Diplo as Venice. It was a literal nightmare almost the entire game. Basically I scrimped and saved every gold I could, tried to keep everyone as happy as humanly possible with me by sending trade routes to every civ, even when it was less financially useful and constantly paid other civs into fighting wars for me. I didn't have enough money to do it by the first world leader vote, but by the second one I had enough money to buy the loyalty of every city state (then declare war on EVERY other civ so that they couldn't poach them on their turn), host the vote and had the Forbidden Palace. I had the exact number of votes needed to win it.

It was stressful. Any time an enemy would DoW on me I'd pee a little. I kept fast moving units near all of my neighbors lands, not to fight them but to pillage as many tiles as possible (especially strategic and luxury resources) and hope they'd offer peace. They could have wiped me out at any moment, but little Venice with her mighty trade routes endured.

I've lost every other deity I've ever tried. I stick to Emperor and Immortal mainly, way more fun while still being a challenge.

Top Bottom