War of the Spanish Succession

That idea sounds like it has promise, Tech. I'm just not quite sure I can, at point, get my head around what such a map would look like, how it would be structured, or what 'terrains' it would have. But, you do have a point that instant transit across the Atlantic would indeed be quite unrealistic, especially for the era.

It would be abstract and functional, not realistic. Just 2 terrains: ocean and impassible. Long loops of ocean, 1 square wide, of whatever length is appropriate, that leads from one portal in European waters to another in N. American waters. Say, just off Bristol to just off Boston. They could be winding paths - direction doesn't matter, just length. Separate paths for British and French. Just an idea.

I think that could be workable, yes. Thanks for the suggestion!

But first, if anyone has Carl Fritz's MapEdit utility and get it to actually work on their computer (for the life of me, I can't get it to work on mine) and is willing to do me a quick favour, please PM me.

Also, here's a preview of my first draft of a units spread. Four of the five blank slots are reserved for Kolner and Mantuan infantry and cavalry (still hoping their uniforms can be found); I'm not yet sure what to do with the partisan slot. The redundant Dutch infantry, cavalry, and grenadiers are for my plan of dividing the Oranjist and Staatsgezinden units from each other, as, after a bit of research, I've decided to also keep the Blue Guard separate; I'd like a way to distinguish the two factions of Dutch units visually, I'm just not yet sure how. Different Spanish units in different parts of the file are Bourbon and Habsburg loyalists. The guy between the Scottish unit and the first Dutch Infantry is a placeholder for Irish volunteers; it would be a great boon if fairline, Tanelorn, or another talented artist could whip up a more accurate appearance and the flag of the day (the green background with the golden harp, if I'm not mistaken), but hey no pressure... ;)

Other than my wishlist, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please feel free to post them. I'll all ear (or eyes, actually).

Attachments

• units.png
    units.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 189
Patine, I'm not sure if I posted these before, but here are much more recently drawn takes on WSS units:

You may be happy with the ones you've used ofc!

Evidently I got bored with labelling them when I drew em, but suffice to say the blokeys with the tricorne hats are useable for your time-period, and the 'round hat ' guys are late 17th century

Attachments

• Wars of Louis XIV and Peter the Great SL.png
    Wars of Louis XIV and Peter the Great SL.png
    219.8 KB · Views: 404
These are very good! I did see an Irish unit kind of like what I was looking for in the TAON conversion gapetit JUST put up today, but he's in Napoleonic uniform and with a rifle from the era, though the flag is what I'm looking for, and I'd imagine the uniform colour scheme SHOULD be similar. That being said, it seems 'volunteers' from Ireland, all of whom were from Protestant origins anyways, would only be numerous enough to produce one unit in the whole scenario, but still, it gives colour, and nowadays we're not unit-slot starved like we were back in the FW/MGE days.

Is no one around able to get the MapEdit utility to work on their computers either? I have the maps that I think are ideal bases, I just need a bit of resizing in dimensions and I can pretty much work from there.

Is no one around able to get the MapEdit utility to work on their computers either? I have the maps that I think are ideal bases, I just need a bit of resizing in dimensions and I can pretty much work from there.

What size do you need, width x height?

Remember that you have to multiply the height by 2, for example if you want a map 50 tiles wide by 50 tiles high, in the Map Editor I would have to give it the size 50 x 100.

Also, if I remember correctly, if you are using multiple maps in your scenario they all have to be the same size. Perhaps McMonkey or Techumseh can confirm it.

I have the two maps I want as bases. I want the Drole map (from the ToT conversion of that scenario) with an additional 25 squares to the west of it's current width (for was total of 80 squares), and 19 squares to it's south (for a total of 150, or, I guess, 300 by the calculation the game uses). Then I need the Empires map (from the conversion of the ToT scenario about the French and Indian Wars) with 2 squares added to the west (again, to 80) and cut off at 150 (300) squares in the mouth, which, in the map itself, would be near, but not quite at the southern tip of Florida. A blank 80x300 map as well would also be great, as, while the orthodox Map Editor from Civ2 MGE will read and edit the big maps, I don't actually it'll generate them. If anyone is up to this quick task, it'd be most appreciated.

The 'Drole' map is 30 tiles (width) x 65 tiles (height), thus your request to add 25 tiles to the width plus 20 tiles to the height makes a new map size of 55 x 85 (or 55 x 170 for the MapEditor).

See the attached RAR file which contains the 55x170.mp file (or 55 x 85 tiles in game terms) and let me know if that is what you were looking for.

Attachments

• 55x170.rar
    163 bytes · Views: 142
This is strange. When I start a game of the Drole scenario and then reveal the map, the co-ordinates in the lower-right corner (the maximum reading for axes) is 55,130. That being said, Empire shows as having an x-axis of 80 (which is exactly what I want) and a y-axis of 200-and-somewhat, which I just want to be cut at 150 squares (or 300 by map editor) to that south, which, on the map, is near the southern tip of Florida, but not quite there. If you can cut the Empires map as stated, and expand the Drole map to match those dimensions, expanding mainly east and south from Drole's general orientation, and then a blank 80x150 (300) map, with ocean as default terrain, that would actually be perfect. Thanks in advance if you can do that.

Hi Patine,

If you take a closer look you will notice that the tiles numbers are being incremented by two's, i.e. (55,0) , (55, 2), (55, 4), etc. If you go back and physically count the number of tiles you will see that there are only a total of 65 tiles north to south.

Ah, I see. Then just adjust what I said above to make them 80x75 (150 in editor), still as per the boundary limits I stated above, if you could please. That would be great! And thanks for pointing that out. I'd completely missed it...

Hi Patine,

Again you have to be careful, Empire is really just 40 tiles wide by 98 high. If you look at the very first row of the east -west tiles you will see that they increment by 2 as well (0,0), (2, 0), (4,0). Whereas the 2nd row below it goes (1, 1), (3,1), (5,1), etc. But count the first or second row tiles from left to right and you will see that there are only 40.

In any case, as a future reference, if you need the exact same map size as a specific scenario you can open the scenario in ToT, go to the Map - Toggle Cheat Mode menu and choose 'Yes ' when asked if you want to enable cheat mode.

From there go back to the Map menu and select 'Export Map' and a Save Map window will open.

Then just name your file (with the .MP extension) and select the Windows Explorer folder you want to save it in.

Then close ToT and open the civmap.exe and go to the Editor - Load Map menu and load the map from the folder you saved it in. From there you can modify the map as you like.

Note: Right now I'm limited in the MapEditor to a map size no greater than the sum of 10880 tiles (width x height). I believe there's a programs that allows you to exceed that number but I can't recall where it is.

In the meantime, here is the Empire map I extracted. Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Attachments

• SWC.rar
    5.7 KB · Views: 131
Alright. I now see that obviously there's a discrepancy between how the maximum value of the x-axis is shown when playing a game and when using the Map Editor. I suspect it's a flaw relating to an imperfect conversion of maps from round to flat, but I could be wrong. Anyways, here's how I think it could work. Cut the Empires map at 75 (150 on the Map Editor) in the south (as I had said, it should be near, but not quite at, the southern tip of Florida). That should remain the same. Keep the Empires map x-axis as is. Increase the Drole map's x-axis by 10 or so squares (whatever exact value makes the two maps equal) to the west of the map edge, and 10 (20 on the Map Editor) squares added to the south. Having checked out everything you've brought up, that SHOULD work out fine. Sorry for the confusion, but, with the doubling of y-axis and the discrepancy between in-game and map-editor x-axis displays that I had previously been unaware of, I was a bit confused. Thanks in advance if you can get these maps up and running, now that my needs are clearer than the mud of before, and thanks also for making clear that map dimension values can't be trusted at superficial face value.

Hi Patine,

If I understand it you want to use different size maps to represent the different areas in your scenario. I did a quick test for importing 2nd, 3rd or 4th maps beyond the base map in a scenario in ToT and I believe I can confirm that all subsequent maps you add beyond the base map must be the exact same size. In other words if your base map is 50 x 50 than all your other maps MUST also be 50 x 50.

I think they need to be the same size because of the intermap transport relationships.

You might want to double check yourself but this is what my tests have shown. Perhaps other designers can confirm it.

If that is the case, I don't think this is a show stopper, you would just need to create a base map that was as wide and as high as the maximum value of any one of your maps. In that manner you could be certain that the base map would be large enough to contain your different geographical areas. After that you could design each map accordingly, using only the size required for each region, making the rest of the tiles impassable within that map. This is what I did in my 'Battle of Iwo Jima' scenario. I believe this is what Catfish did in his 'War of the Ring' scenario.

As such, you would need to determine the exact dimensions required (the ACTUAL, not modified, number of tiles east to west and north to south). I've not yet found the utility that would allow me to create a map beyond 10880 tiles so I'm not certain I could help if your base map was beyond that size.

Yes, I pretty much knew about the equal size requirements. What I was asking (forgive me if I was unclear) was if anyone could still get Carl Fritz's MapEdit utility that can (among other things) change the dimensions of existing maps without erasing the landmasses within the retained area, as I can't seem to find a way to get it to work on my computer (Windows 8.1 64-bit), and, if they can get it to work on theirs, to adjust the dimensions of the Empire and Drole as I've requested above (though, the things you've pointed out about how dimensions are read by the Map Editor that comes with MGE are indeed very helpful and help refine my request). However, it seems apparent by your responses, tootall, you not only don't have this utility, but have likely never heard of it. I apologize again for my lack of clarity, and certainly thank you for your patience and pointing out very useful facts about map dimensions and how the Editor reads them. I would like to ask again in a general sense if anyone CAN get this utility and would be willing to make these quick adjustments.

Well, if I can't get these map's dimensions to work (and as I've said previously, I can neither get the MapEdit utility to work on my computer nor can I make any sort of seriously competent realistic historical maps from scratch), I may have to go to Plan C for my next scenario (fortunately, I do have a Plan C, complete with the map, units, and a general all in place). I'll just wait a little longer and see if anyone who'd be willing and able to help with these maps has overlooked this request (or, even better, someone like Catfish pops up with a way to get MapEdit to actually work on a Windows 8.1 64-bit machine).

Top Bottom