Fall of Rome

Patine

Deity
Since both this Rome thing came up on McMonkey's Project Page and I've been struggling with a few key mechanics for WSS (such as how to divide the Allied nations between civ's, actual objectives to determine victory or defeat, a reasonable set of appropriate Wonders, and those elusive appearances of Kolner and Mantuan military forces at that time), but I have a full slate (at least an initial draft) of units, including types, functions, and graphics, a full list (again, initial draft) of improvements and Wonders (not yet icon graphics, but they shouldn't be hard to find), a reasonable division of civ's, and a tentative map for a Fall of Rome scenario already assembled a few months ago, I thought I'd bump that up to the top and, hopefully, when it's completed, the stumbling blocks for either WSS or Fall Gelb will be more easily resolved with a fresh perspective.

To that end:

The scenario starts with the death of Emperor Constantine I and carries to the late 5th, possibly early 6th Century. The civ's are as follows:
-West Roman Empire (Gratian) - Intended Player Civ
-East Roman Empire (Valens)
-Sassanid Empire (Sharpur II)
-Huns (Attila the Hun)
-Germanii (Alaric I)
-Celts (Conan Meriadoc)
-Scythians/Cimmerians/Sarmatians (Zizais)

The goal is to, as the West Roman Empire, resist the tides of history and cling on to power and, indeed, existence as long as possible. All West Roman cities are objectives (I don't yet know if I'll have any cities outside the original West Roman borders of 337 be objectives or not; it may encourage an attempt not just to 'turtle,' but to try and expand). Here is the initial draft of the units file:

That's a good intro. Any input, suggestions, or even constructive criticism is more than welcome.

Attachments

• units.jpg
    units.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 160
Unfortunately, there isn't a scenario listed under that name in the SL archives. Any idea where I might find a copy, or do you still have one lingering on your HD you could possibly send me, please?

Thank-you greatly. By the way, is this for MGE or ToT?

I will have a playaround with it.

In the meantime, two largely cosmetic questions I'd like to ask the community's advice on:
-First Attila's capital (such as it was). I remember early encyclopedias from the '60's to '80's (possibly even before) just calling his centre from which he started expanding "Attila's Capital," as VERY few words have apparently survived intact from the Hunnic language, and that location was not one of them. However, starting in the late '90's, probably as a result of the post-Cold War impact on historiography of Turanism, the location started being called in retrospect "Szegerd" after the city in modern Hungary where it was located (or very near to), and this included usage of that label in many computer strategy games dealing with the period as well, even though certainly that would NOT have been what the settlement that passed for Attila's capital city would have been called in his contemporary day. Should I refer to his capital thus as just Attila's Capital, Szegerd, or something else?
-And second, but related, should I name starting Germanii cities by tribal homeland prior to the Great Migration (that is, cities actually called Lombards, Goths, Franks, Vandals, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Frisians, Alemanii, Bavarians, Salians, Swabians, etc.) or name them by modern or even Medieval geographical features?

Neither of these are game-breaking stumbling blocks, just cosmetic preference.

Okay, swapped two cavalry units for obviously better graphics (in one case, FAR better graphics) on my units file, and, using some of the additional slots, added some more units I thought might be nice. Here's how it currently stands:

Attachments

• Units.jpg
    Units.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 175
Top Bottom