Indonesia discussion

So the unique unit art for the Kris Swordsman has been bugging me. Initially I thought it looked nothing at all like something an Indonesian would wear, but then I concluded that I must be ignorant to warrior dress code history.

But after searching pages and pages on the internet I can't find any photos to match. Anybody else have any idea?

EDIT: Here, this is what they look like. Like I said, I could be wrong. But something doesn't sit right with me. Not a major complaint though if that's what I sound like. Just curious since the Civ artists often base their art on a specific real-life image/drawing, so I'm wondering where they got this idea from

So the unique unit art for the Kris Swordsman has been bugging me. Initially I thought it looked nothing at all like something an Indonesian would wear, but then I concluded that I must be ignorant to warrior dress code history.

But after searching pages and pages on the internet I can't find any photos to match. Anybody else have any idea?

EDIT: Here, this is what they look like. Like I said, I could be wrong. But something doesn't sit right with me. Not a major complaint though if that's what I sound like. Just curious since the Civ artists often base their art on a specific real-life image/drawing, so I'm wondering where they got this idea from

;)

How is the picture in this thread anything like the examples in that thread? What would you have them do if they couldn't take an image as a reference to draw an icon in an entirely different pose?

There is this image on the Steam pre-order site. Either the screen is staged (but usually stages screens aren't misleading), or the tooltip for the candi wasn't adjusted and the fresh water requirement is actually not there.

Spoiler :

Jakarta has Monument + Palace + Terracota Army BUT generate just +4:c5culture:?
Did Terracota Army got some rework too?

Does the candi provide +2 faith for a follower in your religion? That would be a base of +2 faith then another +2 for your own religion. I hope that is the case 4 faith is already pretty good.

There is this image on the Steam pre-order site. Either the screen is staged (but usually stages screens aren't misleading), or the tooltip for the candi wasn't adjusted and the fresh water requirement is actually not there.

Spoiler :

Well it almost definitely is staged, ie they just put the buildings/wonders in the cities.

However, I don't think they would change mechanics and...

The output of the city is 4 science too high, and 5 culture too low.

My Suspicion is that the Terracotta has been changed to gve a science bonus (and only 1 culture like most Wonders)

Gamespot said:
According to Beach, when designing the Indonesians, the team decided it wanted to have a swordsman unit that used a curved, cursed blade out of Indonesian folklore. According to the legends, some of these blades were good, while others were, well, cursed. Now, Indonesian kris swordsmen start with the mystic blade promotion, which is swapped out for good or ill after their first combat.

Eh?
Not all of kris promotions are good?? Will we got bad promotions too?? :eek:

Yup. Makes sense culturally:

"However, if the owner’s proposal is refused and yet he still insists on ‘marrying’ the keris, it will most likely result in an unhappy marriage which possibly brings the owner a lot of bad luck."

Gameplay wise however? Oh boy, can be rewarding, but if it comes at the wrong time it can be very unfortunate

As I've stated before in the gamespot article thread. I really think kris should be faith related instead.

Eh?
Not all of kris promotions are good?? Will we got bad promotions too?? :eek:

I think it more likely that there are promotions with drawbacks, like the +50% attack -20% defense that we already know off, rather than outright bad promotions.

From the new Gamespot article Link

According to Beach, when designing the Indonesians, the team decided it wanted to have a swordsman unit that used a curved, cursed blade out of Indonesian folklore. According to the legends, some of these blades were good, while others were, well, cursed. Now, Indonesian kris swordsmen start with the mystic blade promotion, which is swapped out for good or ill after their first combat.

An example is likened to the ACW scenario, where the units start out "green" and that "green" promotion is swapped for a "General's name" giving them a good or bad promotion. Examples used were Stonewall Jackson = bonus to flanking attacks, or the George Pickett promotion = penalty for charging across open terrain. Now obviously the Kriss won't have these same exact promotions, but definitely some of them will be an "all bad" promotion.

Noticing that the Kris swordsman has 14 strength and since I don't have G&K, did G&K buff the swordsman a little? Or has BNW buffed the swordsman to 14 strength as well? If not, the kris swordsmen are considered to be more formidable than Roman legionaries, according to Civ 5 BNW. And that's highly debatable of course. :confused:

But 14 strength on a swordsman-replacing unit? The Indonesians will literally own all non-classical civs in the classical era and perhaps into early medieval era as well. Beeling to iron working would be an ideal strategy for Indonesia.

Noticing that the Kris swordsman has 14 strength and since I don't have G&K, did G&K buff the swordsman a little? Or has BNW buffed the swordsman to 14 strength as well? If not, the kris swordsmen are considered to be more formidable than Roman legionaries, according to Civ 5 BNW. And that's highly debatable of course. :confused:

But 14 strength on a swordsman-replacing unit? The Indonesians will literally own all non-classical civs in the classical era and perhaps into early medieval era as well. Beeling to iron working would be an ideal strategy for Indonesia.

Swordsman are 14 strength, at least in G&K.

As I've stated before in the gamespot article thread. I really think kris should be faith related instead.

You can't, it would clash with Pictish Warrior which gets Faith when destroying enemy units. There's not a single case that I'm aware of that uses the same unique bonus in any two or more civs.

You can't, it would clash with Pictish Warrior which gets Faith when destroying enemy units. There's not a single case that I'm aware of that uses the same unique bonus in any two or more civs.

Faith related doesn't mean it has to generate Faith when defeating enemy units. I'm aware that Pictish warrior have already filled that one.

Top Bottom