[Reference] Colour Schemes of Released Modded Civs

But, Benin has such a dark scheme compared to those other two?

Scenario Boers actually used the reverse (scenario) Sumer scheme (pink-ish/purple-ish).

Okay yeah Benin is much darker yes I see. The other two though.

Sumer and Boers are completely different even inverted. Sumer is .8980 .4353 .3412 on .1529 .1647 .3176, a salmon-ish on a dark muted blue. The Boers are...for the life of me I swear it's not actually in the game's files and I have no idea why I can't find it, but it's definitely a bright purple on bright orange. Agh screenshots help me.

Spoiler :

Sumer and Boers are completely different even inverted. Sumer is .8980 .4353 .3412 on .1529 .1647 .3176, a salmon-ish on a dark muted blue. The Boers are...for the life of me I swear it's not actually in the game's files and I have no idea why I can't find it, but it's definitely a bright purple on bright orange. Agh screenshots help me.

Ah, I was going by their civ icon in the scenario which is reverse Sumer:

I never payed attention enough to notice they used a different color scheme than the icon in-game (opting for a more orange tint).

Here's the Squamish, our upcoming civ:

I'm not concerned with it being formatted like that any more ;)

Asturias's colors look very similar to the Kievan Rus (which already is sorta too similar to Sweden-ish), and Aragon's are somewhat like Armenia, though the cream is much lighter so one could get away with it better. Castile strikes me as a lot like Muisca's as well.

...also the varying formatting on this makes me compelled to just redo all of them so they have the exact same fonts and capitalizations across the board, why must I be so perfectionist

I'm thinking a dedicated website to this that calculates exactly how close a palette is to another that also autoformats things is the only way I'd be satisfied. If I were still in web design class I probably would've been able to do it in spare class time too, but alas. Maybe I'll dust off the ol HTML skills for this :o

I agree, Asturias is very very close in this case - but I guess it's one of those things where you have to test it in-game. Sweden is out of the question though.

Castille also has a very contentious BG:

There really aren't that many colors left

As Neirai pointed out - the album is GREAT for eliminating what combinations are taken and formulating which ones are available.

Grey and black as a foreground is severely under utilized.

Yeah, but you can just take dark grey with bright teal for Castile. The colors are fitting for the civilizations and that is the thing that matters most.

I'm not saying that grey should be used for Castile. I'm saying that there are plenty of colour combos that Castile could use that aren't a Red/Yellow mix which currently 9 civs occupy.

There are a ton of colors left, if one is willing to go out of the box and make schemes that might be unfitting or outright not that pleasant for the sake of distinction.

LS has this down pat, most of his civs use very strange and probably not that great for actual design color schemes, but they're extremely distinctive on the map because of it, and at the point where we have probably several hundred civs vying for individuality, that's the most important thing. Don't be afraid to just put random stuff together that makes little sense for the civ as long as it looks unique! The only distinct 'rules' in place are not using excessively bright colors and making sure the combination is still legible on each other. 0 255 255 on 255 0 255 is not going to be very physically comfortable to look at.

In fact give me a civ you don't have color ideas for and I'll do my best to throw one that is identifiable yet fitting and aesthetically pleasing! I am super familiar with all the colors ever.

Top Bottom