Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Enkidu_Warrior said:
hi satch - plague does increase with population size, but will decrease once you discover sanitation. in my first game on ROC 2.65, germany suffered massive plagues across the empire through the middle ages, and had every city with 6+ population (at least, before the plague struck).

by contrast, in my second game (ROCX, 1.01), china suffered little plague damage, with only two cities being hit, neither of which had a population above 3 at the start. in fact, my largest cities werent touched.

personally, i cant stand the plague feature and (gasp) turn it off in the biq file before starting. :mischief: :)
Thanks for the comments, EW. In particular I was wondering whether there was anything that had triggered such a massive outbreak of plague - it didn't "feel" random, the way it suddenly struck 9 cities over 4-5 turns (and may keep spreading - I had to stop playing at that point and haven't yet come back to my game!). It could just be random with a really high probability though.

I can see why you might find plague annoying and shut it off, although I have to say it is not nearly as bad as "disease," which was a minor annoyance in Civ and can be completely debilitating in RoC/RoX! Prior to my current France game (my first real RoC/RoX game) I had tried to play as Israel and it was a complete disaster - disease hit Jerusalem just as I was about to produce a settler - I lost all my population and had to start over again - then it happened *again* when I got back to size 4. I quit that game ... :mischief:

Rhye said:
->Unlike my expectations, the trick Asclepius suggested doesn't work. I removed goto and sentry, too, but nothing. Now I'm trying without any AI role (attack/defense).
It might work this time. It seems faster but I want to be 100% sure.
Strange, I didn't notice any difference in turn time. The biq with the Immobile palace guard was as fast as the original biq. Under unit abilities I had ONLY selected "foot" and "immobile" all the others are off (i.e. deselect wheeled). :confused:

EDIT: err, I said deselect "goto" originally BTW.

The other issue with plague is having your military units die off. In my current game, I got hit by plague pretty heavily twice and probably lost 10 military units between the two. Annoying, especially if you are depending on them to help keep happiness up.

I have not shut it off, but will consider it next time. I have really been lucky with no volcano issues in this game either. (Nothing like having a stack of workers incinerated while working on a road next to the volcano).

The ship changes look pretty good. I especially like the change with the transport as it should not be on top of the stack.

Rhye said:
->Unlike my expectations, the trick Asclepius suggested doesn't work. I removed goto and sentry, too, but nothing. Now I'm trying without any AI role (attack/defense).
It might work this time. It seems faster but I want to be 100% sure.

Ooops, my apologies Rhye. I had tested this five or six times with different Civs for the first forty turns and noticed no difference. However, after about turn 45 it does slow down (albeit by not very much) so it does have an effect after all. It doesn't make that much difference but probably on slower PC's it will be worse...so keep testing maybe there's a work around. :(

Whenever the plague hits a city of mine, I remove all of the units in that city and place them around the city ready to spring back in for defense... Oddly enough the AI has never tried to attack me at this vulnerable moment (there was one time when I thought they might, so I moved the defenders back in and the AI went away.)

Blasphemous said:
Whenever the plague hits a city of mine, I remove all of the units in that city and place them around the city ready to spring back in for defense... Oddly enough the AI has never tried to attack me at this vulnerable moment (there was one time when I thought they might, so I moved the defenders back in and the AI went away.)
This was my experience too, in the current plague epidemic I've been posting about. I had been building stacks for an imminent offensive in two of the plague-stricken cities - I just moved them out for the time being and haven't suffered major losses. I'm not relying on the units for happiness (in Oligarchic Republic) so the plague itself hasn't really cost me much. I had one wayward AI archer-settler pair wander into my territory but they left when I asked them to - my plague cities weren't in imminent danger even if they had declared war.

Yeah, usually by the time the plague rolls in I hardly rely on troops for happiness anymore... I'm usually either in Olig. Rep. with a high lux slider, or just in a very happy monarchy. =P

I vote A, I guess. I'll play as Portugal, Spain, or the Dutch to try it out once that patch is out (assuming I'll be done with my Germany game by then.)

Micromegas said:
Mr Communist, (shouldn't that be Comrade instead of Mr? :lol:) although I'm rather sure that is a known problem I can't recall what was the solution ... but here are some hints for you: in /conquests/scenoarios/ you should have three folders, named "Rhye's of Civilization", "Rhye's of Civilization X" and "Rhye's of Civilization XF" and three biq files, named "Rhye's of Civilization v2.66.biq", "Rhye's of Civilization Expansion pack v1.1.biq" and "Rhye's of Civilization Expansion pack v1.1 RANDOM MAP.biq". The file in your error message needs to sit here : \Conquests\Scenarios\Rhye's of Civilization\art\tech chooser\Icons, if it doesn't you likely confused folders when extracting or you downloaded just the patch for the basic mod. Hope that helped, if not feel free to download the beta of my installer. See above for details.

Thanks Comarade, ill try that ;)

Edit: Yes, that was the problem, I didn't have 2.66, just 2.62. Now its working, thanks again.

I have been playing the Expansion Earth mod with England, Japan and Austria so I never noticed until I played Spain that the AI starts with more units than human does. Portugal had a Settler, scout, worker and 2 Palace Guards, while human player had Settler only. Why is this?

Just curious,
J

bucfan76 said:
I have been playing the Expansion Earth mod with England, Japan and Austria so I never noticed until I played Spain that the AI starts with more units than human does. Portugal had a Settler, scout, worker and 2 Palace Guards, while human player had Settler only. Why is this?

Just curious,
J
We humans have the advantage of a brain, and of being ruthless bastards. So to make sure we don't abuse our advantages and destroy the AI early on, they're given a little head start. By the end of the ancient age it doesn't matter much anymore.

Hi.

Just downloaded the whole RoCX with the V1.1 Patch.
I wondered if it is much slower then the normal version?

What have you experienced?

C U

I vote A for the change of ships.

I vote A for the ships, yet I would put the privateer's bombard rate down to one so that they dont end up just bombarding other people's improvements really well. That should be the job of frigates and SoL, not privateers.

Hey Rhye, I thought there were no roving barbarians in RoX 1.1. I just got attacked by a few Barb Horse Archers in the early Ancient Age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom