Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Is there any way to figure out what units are in an enemy city without attacking the city?

Is there any way to figure out what units are in an enemy city without attacking the city?

In a sense yes, but actually no.

You can know the strongest defending unit, but not all units. In addition, you can see what type of GPs there are in a city by looking at the flags over teh city.

To know the strongest defending unit you can do at least two things + one cheat.

1) Ensure that a troop that gets an elite upgrade gets the "scout" upgrade.
2) Ensure that a militia unit follows a troop and use that unit to "scout", since militia units have the "scout" upgrade for free.
3) (CHEAT). Save the game and attack and then re-load and attack again. Obviously not possible in MP.

Hey,

I did recently buy Civilization IV Complete package which includes the warlords and beyond the sword expansion packs. I installed it all, and it says that if you play the beyond the sword expansion pack the warlords updates and new additions should be included...
my question would be, how much of warlords is included in it? because the scenarios from warlords i cannot find within the beyond the sword game, but the civilizations and leaders are there, so correct me if i'm wrong, that means that everything from warlords is included with BtS expansion pack, but if i want to play some scenarios from warlords i should exit BtS and play it via Warlords expansion pack??? or is there any other way to just simply put all these two games together so that i could access them both through the same game???

how does this work? i mean, what is the best way to enjoy the game of Civilization IV Complete without missing out most of the new stuff they decided to add to the expansion packs???

Wrong place, buddy. These are quick answers for Civ Rev :) Head into the Civ 4 General area and start a thread for it.

and yes, I think you need to open up Warlords to get to the warlord scenarios (I'm not sure on this though coz i got the expansion packs as they came out)

In the tech tree, how can I tell the difference between "AND" requirements, and "OR" requirements?

Having Civ 4 and all the extras,It is wicked fun but I see this Mod for Veitnam and Revolution and cannot get them running ,why do they seem out of reach?

Having Civ 4 and all the extras,It is wicked fun but I see this Mod for Veitnam and Revolution and cannot get them running ,why do they seem out of reach?

Wrong forum. This is the Civilization Revolution forum. Go to the Civ4 forums. :rolleyes:

If this site wasnt so confusing I might have found it.Who is quality control here?

The forums aren't confusing. At the top are the Civ Rev forums, below them Civ IV, Civ III etc and then it goes into the off-topic forums. Just make sure you know where you are posting. If you have a Civ IV related question, ask in the Civ IV forum. :)

I need help with the achievmant (for xbox version) where you need to get 200 resources in a city. what does resource mean (hammer, gold, science?) and what's the best way to reach that 200 mark?

I think resources refer to either Gold or Science, depending on which one you choose

I'll go through (my) strategies for each of these, and for hammers:

GOLD) Place the city either near as much sea or as much desert as possible. If on the sea, fish are great coz they increase your population. Hammers (Forest, hill, mountain) is also nice. now Just focus on getting population up (granary, harbour, aquaduct, and courthouse to get the second ring) and resource multipliers (market and bank for Gold). Make sure you have enough culture that you won't lose the second ring to enemy cities. Useful wonders are the Trade Fair and the Internet. and an explorer/industrialist helps.

SCIENCE) The Same as above, with the following changes: libraries and uni's are the multipliers, the Trade Fair won't help, and your looking for a great Scientist.

Hammers) There's usually at least one mountain range, with 3+mountains. Build this city next to that. It won't be great to start off with, but once you get an iron mine, it'll go fantastically. Set it to emphasise food to begin with, then hammers once you get your population up. Make sure you get a factory there too. Great builders here mean you can get pretty much any building in 3 or less turns. use it to crank out wonder after wonder, or pop out 2-3 units at a time. Make sure you don't work science/gold stuff - leave it to other cities =)

Not really a quick answer, but oh well. that's my strategy =p

I need help with the achievmant (for xbox version) where you need to get 200 resources in a city. what does resource mean (hammer, gold, science?) and what's the best way to reach that 200 mark?

I'm pretty sure it means hammers. Both gold and science is usually called trade so I would be surprised if I'm wrong.

Yeah, in addition to what Moopoo said:

You can get extra hammers from chosing the right civ. The Mongols give you +2 hammers from mountains at the industrial age. The Americans get 3x hammers from factories instead of 2. And the Germans get extra hammers from forests.

On top of that, switch to Communism and you can get a 50% boost to hammers. Get your population way up (you can add settlers from other cities to do this faster), and then pick them up and work them in your city square as hammer producers.

The main thing though is originally picking a good city spot, with the tips that moopoo mentioned above (mountain range, hills, with enough food).

what is the deal with anarchy? when you switch governments, what are the condition on your cities under anarchy? what are the negatives? when you go into anarchy, upon deciding to switch, is the whole next turn anarchy, and the following the establishment of the new government?

I think how it works is that when you switch governments, you get none of the shields, science or gold that would have been made at the end of that turn, if that makes sense. The exception as far as i can tell is when you switch after being prompted, having just discoverd the tech.

thanks for all the help moopoo :)

edit: another question, what is the "exchange rate" between hammer/gold/beakers? when rushing units for example, do 10 hammer units cost half as much gold to rush as 20 hammer units? or when you (R3) a unit to sell it, is the price based on its hammer cost? or when you trade a technology, is that based on the beaker cost associated with the tech?

When selling techs the prices the AI will offer are random, when selling a unit 1 hammer= 1 gold. I don't know about the rushing prices.

Top Bottom