True maps of Planet

Dysthenics

Chieftain
I've always wondered what the borders of Planet would look like if all 14 factions were present at the same time. How does this look?

The factions of Planet, MY 2250

It could be an interesting mod, though I imagine the gameplay would be right difficult for those with limited territory.

I tried to have the placement of each faction make sense with regards to landmarks, and the size of each faction indicate the extent to which their ideology gained traction.

There aren't a lot of people who are willing to have half their brain lobotomized, thus the Cyborgs are a small group in an isolated corner of the world. They pursue their experiments in relative isolation, seeking occasional correspondence with their closest frenemies, the University. Both of these factions are periodically raided for their tech by Svensgaard's Pirate flotillas.

The Believers control so much land because the allure of faith has been strengthened by settlement in an unfamiliar, hostile land...in the absence of identifiable nationalities, religion (and other ideologies) have taken precedence in terms of geo-political structuring. I gave the Believers the Dunes because I envision one of their prophets taking a long journey through the desert, only to encounter strange "Data Angels" on the other side.

The Morganites have prospered around Mount Planet in part because of lucrative contracts with energy and mining corporations, but also because they sell tickets to tourists wanting to visit Planet's highest point.

The Cult began as a splinter group of Gaians who left the Pholus Ridge to worship the Progenitor Ruins in the north. The border between the two factions is heavily populated with trained mindworm boils and their psionically adept handlers.

The Spartans hold a justifiably paranoid attitude. Their neighbors are the totalitarian Hive and the theocratic Believers, both heavily militarized nations in their own right. Colonel Santiago seeks an ally in Datajack Sinder Roze. She plans a massive pincer movement to encircle the Believers' industrial and agricultural complexes west of the Dunes.

I find it really fun to set up these inter-faction flashpoints and their respective backstories.

Welcome to CivFanatics and the Alpha Centauri forum!

Nice work. I might start the Pirates in the Geothermal Shallows because they're a sea-based faction. Then give the Cyborg some more room by moving them to the Pirates' original island. All-in-all, a well-thought out effort.

I agree with the suggestion about the pirates from above poster.

Otherwise I like your work and I feel it fits decently with the books (though those books were before Crossfire and so do not mesh perfectly) and with the online story.

Fine job!

In the books, everyone except Yang and Miriam are on the eastern continent, with Yang in the middle and Miriam in the west.

Anyway, I do feel that related factions have to be relatively close to one another. The Angels should abut the Morganites, the Cult the Gaians, the Consciousness the Peacekeepers or the University (Aki was a Peacekeeper Talent, but Zeta-5 was a rogue University program) and the Drones the Hive. (Perhaps the Pirates should abut the Spartans as well, but that relationship is less clear from canon.)

Top Bottom