Gods of Old

To kazapp

it seems as though your problem will only occurOn a Terra or pangea map. With continents or islands you won't have this problem.

My thoughts on this mod:

1. There are som powerful god and civ combos. My favorites are enki (water god) with the Dutch or portugese not only does it give you a chance to give your UU a movement bonus, but you can turn any army into an amphibious fight machine! Building wise the dike or the fietoria (sp?) coupled with the enki cathedral gives you 1+ food an 1+ gold or hammer depending on your civ. Throw in the colossus and you will have one he'll of a city!

2. Even though there are powerful combos (above and another is the war god and Rome) the gods are definately unequal. Utu can practically destroy a populas capital and turn it into a desert wasteland only good for minerals. An will shield you from anything which is arguably the best power.

3. Although some of you might not like it (yeah right) it will be near impossible to win a diplomatic victory. Even if you adopt free religion if you make friends with one civ you will make any other coalition that hates that civ or that religion will begin to hate you.

4. This mod makes free religion which is the most advantageous civic to increase research, worthless.

5. The apostalic palace has soooooo much more power in this mod. Instead of weak stop the war against such and such you can have full out creusades against the infedels. So get it or be of the religion that foundsit andgrow so your votes can control it.

I would be interested in seeing a modmod of this having a map of the fertile cresent with Sumer, babylonia, Assyria, and any other FC ancient civs.

To kazapp
5. The apostalic palace has soooooo much more power in this mod. Instead of weak stop the war against such and such you can have full out creusades against the infedels. So get it or be of the religion that foundsit andgrow so your votes can control it.

I tried this but it didn't work, everybody keeps purging your religion from their cities so the AP becomes pretty pointless.

After 2 games of GoO I have to agree that it's too unbalanced. Am early rush is ridiculously easy, even at deity the AI is building a shrine for 30 turns.

Too bad, because it has some fun aspects, although getting acquinted with blight on the receiving end isn't that fun.. [One of my best cities suddenly turned into a permanent wasteland, 3 vital resources just disappeared into dust [that's when I started my second game BTW ;)]].

Lightning is also pretty devastating, point it at an opponents city [no war required] and destroy a few of it's best buildings, just check the top 5 cities of the world, pick the first that isn't yours and blast away, it's gone from that list now. That makes it maybe one of the most devastating uses a prophet can have, destroying a few wonders + other buildings and a few pop in 1 turn. Better than a nuke.]

The Africa map is pretty cool but also totally unbalanced, when playing with 8 civs, 2 of them in the north get really bad positions, really really bad.

So, final verdict: somewhat fun but not challenging if you're playing for the easiest win.

I tried this but it didn't work, everybody keeps purging your religion from their cities so the AP becomes pretty pointless.

After 2 games of GoO I have to agree that it's too unbalanced. Am early rush is ridiculously easy, even at deity the AI is building a shrine for 30 turns.

Too bad, because it has some fun aspects, although getting acquinted with blight on the receiving end isn't that fun.. [One of my best cities suddenly turned into a permanent wasteland, 3 vital resources just disappeared into dust [that's when I started my second game BTW ;)]].

Lightning is also pretty devastating, point it at an opponents city [no war required] and destroy a few of it's best buildings, just check the top 5 cities of the world, pick the first that isn't yours and blast away, it's gone from that list now. That makes it maybe one of the most devastating uses a prophet can have, destroying a few wonders + other buildings and a few pop in 1 turn. Better than a nuke.]

The Africa map is pretty cool but also totally unbalanced, when playing with 8 civs, 2 of them in the north get really bad positions, really really bad.

So, final verdict: somewhat fun but not challenging if you're playing for the easiest win.

Two thoughts. The AP still helps to control others who are in your religion. Nice for holy wars, etc. I don't do much priest bombing, fuguring it'll be my city soon anyway.

Also, I believe that you get the temple benefits (maintenance, etc.) whether or not your running that religion as your state religion. If you're not trying the new religious victory, the benefits can really add up from having more than one religion in your city.

Two thoughts. The AP still helps to control others who are in your religion.
I don't know exactly how the AP works, it seems somewhat broken sometimes, if too few people have your religion you can't do anything except trade-bans. [Which in the end only results in you and your loyal vassal trading together..]

Also, I believe that you get the temple benefits (maintenance, etc.) whether or not your running that religion as your state religion. If you're not trying the new religious victory, the benefits can really add up from having more than one religion in your city.

True, but like I said, In GoO the AI seems possessed with cleansing your religion from their cities. Indeed a stupid move because the benefits are great. [So good, that the AI is even worse off in GoO]. I had my easiest deity win ever on it.

Top Bottom