Final Frontier

Can you build some sort of starbase on them?

yup, your construction ships can turn into starbases with 150 credits and 8 turns

Very nice mod! The graphics are great -- not just the leaders, but also the thingies that make warp lanes, the planets orbiting stars, the ships. Well done!

One question. I have oodles of resources around me, but none is anywhere close to any of my systems, even my most influential ones. Is there any way to grab resources other than expanding your influence over them? Can you build some sort of starbase on them?
Yes, that's the idea. You have to build a starbase (costs 150 credits, provides a cultural border of it's own) near the resource, so that your influence encompasses it, before you can build an extraction facility to get at the resource.

I think to some degree its a little better than the main Civ 4 game. Especially for multiplayer. It's not confusing like Fall From Heaven. It has about the perfect number of units, sweet graphics, tech trees and civics that are easy to understand. By far the best Civ 4 mod I have ever played in any of the games.

Starbase like structures are one of the things that the main game really needs (or bring back colonies from civ 3).

If any of you guys want to get in some multiplayer I have a few friends that would like to get in on a game.

I love this mod but it needs more work! Id like to see the start of the game sped up a little as very little happens in the beginning and it doesn't get good till 100+ turns.

I love this mod but it needs more work! Id like to see the start of the game sped up a little as very little happens in the beginning and it doesn't get good till 100+ turns.

untrue
I played the demo, and it's only 100 turns, and it was good already :)
(already had a starbase, which already had produced a antiship missile, was already on a conquest mood, but didn't have time to do it totally).

One thing I don't understand is the absence of resources in star systems.

wait till you get the full version its great don't get me wrong but could use a some tweeks.

I love FF. Just needs so fixing. Unable to queue buildings on different planets :/ They need to change the way that stuff works. And tech happens fast as hell.

Afterworld is a good concept mod. Someone should make a good mod out of it heh. Also this would be a great multiplayer mod, sadly it's only single player :(

untrue
I played the demo, and it's only 100 turns, and it was good already :)
(already had a starbase, which already had produced a antiship missile, was already on a conquest mood, but didn't have time to do it totally).

You wait till you have 5+ starbases, 30+ missiles (none of them below Delta models), and 2-3 battleships (including Delta- and Omega- models) defending every system :-D, plus more capital ships supporting your starbases, and destroyers all over the place.

Though I do find that there is a lack of things for workers to do - all resources are visible at the start, and there is practically nothing for them to do but build starbases and connect resources (which are immensely scarce), so...

You wait till you have 5+ starbases, 30+ missiles (none of them below Delta models), and 2-3 battleships (including Delta- and Omega- models) defending every system :-D, plus more capital ships supporting your starbases, and destroyers all over the place.

Though I do find that there is a lack of things for workers to do - all resources are visible at the start, and there is practically nothing for them to do but build starbases and connect resources (which are immensely scarce), so...
I set things to dense and ended up in my second game - with my home planet set between 3 asteroid belts the one one the right had 3 resources the one below was small and had 1 and the one to the left was huge and had 7 resources. I mass produced construction ships and had all the resources there under my control very shortly. I am early in the game and there are more resources nearby - if the Halis do not beat me to them.

Hi guys,
Just wanted to chime in to say I love this mod. Very nicely done.
I love the slow pace, although the health and happiness caps are very low (prince level). Nothing much is happening, suits me fine. I have time to learn the ropes and develop my little empire.

Does anyone else experience the same pace, or is it just me ? There's been absolutely no wars since the beginning, everyone else is just developping quietly and connecting systems. Some capital ships are around, but I can't see anyone gearing for war. (default setup all teh way, large map, 8 civs).
It reminds me a lot of Millenium 2.2 back in the Amiga days.
Anyway : Great mod :goodjob:
Looking forward to the patch to fix some of the minor annoyances.

PS : 100th post, yay !

I think to some degree its a little better than the main Civ 4 game. Especially for multiplayer. It's not confusing like Fall From Heaven. It has about the perfect number of units, sweet graphics, tech trees and civics that are easy to understand. By far the best Civ 4 mod I have ever played in any of the games.

Starbase like structures are one of the things that the main game really needs (or bring back colonies from civ 3).

If any of you guys want to get in some multiplayer I have a few friends that would like to get in on a game.

What sort of time frame we talking for a multiplayer thing??? My friends and I would love to join in however I am east coast US, one is close but works evenings until after midnight our time and the other I am not certain about.

:scan: Are there any patches planned for FF that would add new Civs and leaders along with new units and UU's/UB's????:scan:

The AI isn't very good. and the leaderhead graphics were terrible:(
Hope they realese a patch soon.

I hope that they include more units and buildings and add in UU's and UB's in addition to the AI and Graphics

Pretty sure Starbases are supposed to get more expensive.
It makes sense that as you research new techs the cost would go up for the stuff.

I assume the Leaderheads are by design, since they are very similar to the holo-communication systems in the Star Wars movies.

Head on over to Jon's thread and let him know what you like and don't like.
But please, be specific like he suggests. (It 's also a pet peeve of mine)
Don't say "The AI sucks" Something more along the lines of: "The AI does not appear to use stealth ships very well, if at all. It also seems to build too many battleships."

As for new units and buildings, they are easy to add.
I've added over 30 buildings and more than doubled the tech tree in my mod. (shameless plug) And added a bunch of promotions.
Except for the Python fixes (and mods to a couple buildings) It's all XML which you can easily do.

The starbases probably get more expensive due to Inflation.

I played my first game on Normal speed so I could breeze through and get a hang of the sweep of gameplay, and I thought the techs not revealing their quotes (and thus story) until you research them a nice touch. I did notice tech advancement is ridiculously fast on Normal... maybe it's just because I've played on epic so long, but I found that you can't ever get a :hammers:-focused military city built up full factory +mine production before the game ends (I was still trying to get full production and experience-boosting buildings by the time I reached ascendence). I'm used to building the buildings first, then units in regular Civ, so I'm still figuring out how to adapt to that.

... maybe it's just because I've played on epic so long, but I found that you can't ever get a :hammer:-focused military city built up full factory +mine production before the game ends (I was still trying to get full production and experience-boosting buildings by the time I reached ascendence). I'm used to building the buildings first, then units in regular Civ, so I'm still figuring out how to adapt to that.
Since you can build a building on each planet it's easy to lock yourself into empire building and neglect your military :) (Nevermind the passive AI making a military relatively unimportant)

Being more of a warmonger myself I tend to split production between units & improvements almost equally in systems that have even a halfway decent production rate. As a result I tend to start my invasion of my nearest neighbor before turn 50, they'll be out of the game and I'll be moving onto the next target by turn 100. Once I have a few strong production centers churning out military at a regular pace I start specializing other systems towards commerce.

Don't worry about falling behind in technology, most of it does no good without a military anyway. Given enough missiles and fighters you can kill an Omega Battleship rather easily, so quantity can keep up with quality in this mod. In some 2-player games I've found that while I lag behind slightly in tech I am considerably more powerful, enough to compensate for using lower tech units.

Top Bottom