Code:
    if (isBarbarian()) {
        for (iI = 0; iI < GC.getNumTechInfos(); iI++) {
            if (!isHasTech((TechTypes) iI)) {
                iCount = 0;
                iPossibleCount = 0;

for (iJ = 0; iJ < MAX_CIV_TEAMS; iJ++) {
                    if (GET_TEAM((TeamTypes) iJ).isAlive()) {
                        if (GET_TEAM((TeamTypes) iJ).isHasTech((TechTypes) iI)) {
                            iCount++;
                        }

iPossibleCount++;
                    }
                }

if (iCount > 0) {
                    FAssertMsg(iPossibleCount > 0, "iPossibleCount is expected to be greater than 0");

changeResearchProgress(((TechTypes) iI), ((getResearchCost((TechTypes) iI) * ((GC.getDefineINT("BARBARIAN_FREE_TECH_PERCENT") * iCount) / iPossibleCount)) / 100), getLeaderID());
                }
            }
        }
    }

the important call is probably "changeResearchProgress"

where there is some "barbarian_free_tech_percent" XML variable multiplied by number of civs knowing the tech and then divided with the number of all AI's, then divided by 100.

i speculate once this number is >1 then you get the tech (the number multiplies tech cost of the tech and assigned as research progress).

so it depends probably on difficulty in 2 ways...first the xml value, second the AI's teching speed.

As I read it it's done with every tech in one loop, but depends on this code GC.getNumTechInfos() which is invisible of course.

Ok...I went ahead and played the alotted 30 turns:

Warrior reveals the always popular (and game changing) map from a hut:

Spoiler :

As a result we catch a glimpse of the blue border of those stinkin' Americanos:

Spoiler :

I mosey the warrior in that direction to make contact, but first meet up with this fine character (who got that hut by the way):

Spoiler :

We subsequently meet this myopic individual:

Spoiler :

So, my first intent here was to pop up on that hill next to Roosy's borders just to get a view into his capital (a nice one at that), and I spy a juicy worker right next to me. I'm not a big worker stealer type, but this seem to good to pass up - a tile removed from the city center. At least it's someone like Roosy and not...say...Shaka. So I pounce:

Spoiler :

With that nice allotment of food, I figure DC will be a nice early target. Maybe some Archer/Cat action. Possible NE city which is not bad for the all the dry land near us as you will soon see.

I still start a worker in the cap to time perfectly with AH. 2 Workers will be nice to get up cottages quickly and road the new city.

Next, we meet this gentleman:

Spoiler :

His scout popped out from the West - well, where else would it come from. Oh, Zara is not far to the West, so we will need to grab some spots quickly.

After several turns, our warrior scouts around west and north and spies himself a tasty little injured American scout. His fate is sealed:

Spoiler :

Very timely death, as Roosy just decided to speak to us again. So I make peace:

Spoiler :

Next, this jolly lady approaches and we engage in diplomacy:

Spoiler :

Here is a view of our immediate land:

Spoiler :

and to the soutwest:

Spoiler :

You can see Ethiopian borders just in the fog

Attachments

• Sid the Science Kid BC-2760.CivBeyondSwordSave
    55.4 KB · Views: 128
hmm nice nice ...

I will look into it deeper tomorrow but from what i see i would settle 1SE of rice on the river for insta root, working some capital cottages and that dry rice that will later turn into wet

a lot of desert around the corn, but feels like good direction... another good one is towards 1SW of plains cow south west from capital to block a bit of the americans land.

with 2 workers I imiagine cottaging all 4 flood plains west of capital.

build another worker in cap, warrior/s then settler probably.

but depends how many turns I should play ;-) as i see we're still 9 turns from cottages :-D

ok so more about the TS I would play.

I really think city 2 should be 1 SE of rice west from capital (at least some confirmation from team would be nice) and since that city could use mining the plan would be then to play pottery->mining up to finishing mining.

workers won't have much to do for next 6 turns what I am thinking about is 2 things:
1) road towards US
2) road towards city 2 - the trade route should be available through river, but we could get settler quicker there

after settling city 2 (turn 8 of turnset?) I should improve rice immediately with 1 worker
after pottery I will start on cottages in those 4 flood plain tiles between cap and city 2

I think we need another worker size 3 from capital since the amount of worker turns before us is mountain, but after that I think we need at least 1 more warrior even if it means we would grow into more unimproved tiles, maybe working some of the grass hills instead of flood plain tiles will be "better"

city 2 will start building warrior to grow

as for our 2 warrior fogbusters I would just readjust their position 1S... that city 2 fogbuster could move out a bit, but not many safe tiles west from city 2 though.

Well that's from me ;-), thoughts? I could play today evening.

I agree on Rice site for city two, plains-cow isn't cutting it for me atm, maybe for city 3/4 if we decide on an early rush vs the Americans.

Agree with the extra worker, those floodplains aren't going to cottage themselves.
I'd like to get some more visual on the area around the corn if you've got some warrior movement to spare.

Personally I would settle 1SW of Gold (warrior checks first for seafood up there). Much more valuable to us early than any other city.

We can settle other gold on PH next to rice...enough food here to be sufficient. City 3 can go north of desert hills next to cows, which would be a helper city for the cap to work cottages. All FPS would be captured. We should have no problem getting all these cities.

2 workers is sufficient at present. start road to gold city. We need another warrior, so grow to size 4 and start another settler.

actually that spot is weaker then the rice spot. If we want cottages we start to work them much sooner. The only thing it offers is 1 happy source, other things are worse then rice city.

We need 3 workers since cottages take longer then farms to build and we need at least 4 of them very quick

As for now I take it as 2:1 for rice city, decision pending.

roading towards gold i could imagine since it can be valuable spot #3, but certainly not #2.

V - What gold city offers is instant buttloads of commerce. Ask most deity players like Kossin and they will jump on a high commerce resources asap. Even more important given our leader. Cottages take time to develop. We will have them no doubt, but you simply can't beat a gold tile in the early game.

Again, 2 workers are fine. It's more about worker management. I'm more concerned with getting out more settlers and a spawnbuster and having trade routes up than cottages at he moment. There's still 9 turns to Pottery, so we can start a road to gold city now and come back to cottage. There's not much else workers can do at present.

2 worker will get up a gold mine and a cottage very quickly. Building another worker at present is a waste.

Thanks lymond for the turnset. :goodjob:

I acknowledge the points that all of you are making. For me, I'd be going for;

vran's proposed Cow spot toward America

Desert spot between western Stone and Gold (Oasis and Corn)​

The maintenance on these are both going to hurt until we get those cottages up and running, but 'for my money' we'll benefit most from land-grab / part-block while we can, and fill-up later with the other proposed spots.

I am in favor of the cow spot towards america to. It seals of the land by a lot. And since it can improve the cows straight away our monument will be up and running fast. At size 4 it can be a good unit pump with cows, grassland hill and plains hill. Good jumping board to get Roosie. Combine that with the corn/gold/stone spot and we can backfill our land with at least 4 cities.

Not getting the gold close to home first is just crazy cakes

@L well not settling for soon cottages seems crazy to me too ;-). I could cite AZ on this matter but won't.

Just as for arguments sake...
City 2 is net commerce benefit almost always (unless you do something really crazy with distance), thus working cottages from site 2 is very beneficial for them (since wokring them is beneficial from get go, making them slightly better then when you start behind and they will outscale gold in like 25 turns).

City 3 otoh is drag on economy and there should come into play gold which allows quicker payback then cottages on the river (4t improvement compared to 7t improvement).

What I find problematic with gold spot is the lack of border pop for long time, thus we can't get to the rice "soon" and stuck with only 2 tiles for improvement (cows, gold). Otoh our river city has rice, 4 flood plains shared with capital and some plain hill in 1st ring, basically if we settle on the river next we can easily work 11 river tiles "soon", it's only matter of worker turns and some growth turns

cottages take ~7 turns to improve (at least, flood plain farm is 6t thus I think it's 7) , if we plan to lay down at least 4 of them for capital+city 2 on river (or city 3 when we're at it) it means 28 worker turns just for that, thus I promote the 3rd worker...

@TEAM

As for city 2... the status 2:1:2 (river, gold, cows near US) decision still pending.

edit:
btw I think with the L's worker steal we threw US a bit back so I don't think we're any hurry for the cows, but I admit I don't consider the cows spot important.

If we still plan to do cats+archers rush then I would say we should stay small with capital, L's gold city, my river city and maybe some backwards city to work yet another bunch of cottages from capital and do 4-city cat rush.

We will need a lot of commerce for it and I think that cottages are our best shot. They need 70 turns to fully grow so if we go with river city we can have probably 2-4 towns come T115 which would be very good.

I guarantee you AZ would not pass up nearby gold...ask him. AZ builds cottages as the maps dictates...he's not necessarily a cottage advocate. On higher levels, high early commerce tiles are huge. Cottages take time to be productive. We will be running this in the capital anyway and a helper city next door.

City 2 with cows/gold and no border pop is more than fine. It's main purpose is working that gold for sometime. However, with cow/gold it will still be reasonably productive in getting workers and units.

Good - we're all agreed then! :lol:

Any issue with land-grab at all? War is going to be tough, so a big land base and semi-chokes should work well. I like the cities you guys are advocating, but we need our borders to be big.

Good - we're all agreed then! :lol:

Any issue with land-grab at all? War is going to be tough, so a big land base and semi-chokes should work well. I like the cities you guys are advocating, but we need our borders to be big.

for good attack dates with cats big land grab is irrelevant and usually means later attack date which inevitably fails...

i hope the first sentence is kind of irony...I still could get confused as poor boy from cr.

My natural preference is clearly with V's spot, running to a gold in a not very attractive spot looks so noble... Then again, if L claims that's the way the pros tackle deity, then I can't really argue with that either.

dont want to be mean nocho, but you either make it 3:1:2 or 2:2:2 and Cam will flip a three sided coin (which I admit will be a bit complicated)

we should split the gordian knot.

Gosh, then just for the sake of Cam uploading a video of him flipping a 3-sided aussie coin I'll choose the one that makes it 2:2:2. I must say I don't know which option I just voted for, but all this discussion warrants an equal split of votes. :D

You have no idea how close I am to making a video ... ;)

I still think that land-grab is the way to go - but I'll fall on my sword if it means breaking the deadlock ... unless Killroyan feels especially passionate about that area between us and Washington.

Top Bottom