Sid the Science Kid

Gold city is ideal for worker/settler building while waiting for border pops

Okay,

Only played a few turns because we have decision times ahead. At turn 1 Zara does this:

We can still get the gold I guess but with only an oasis and desert to feed it, I guess that is a no. Let Zara get it if he wants to.

The capital finishes a warrior and I order up a settler for kebab city. I want the cities up and running fast. Warriors keep exploring and I find this:

Kebabcity has fish. Now we could build 1 great city on the plains hill with the sheep or split the place up into 3 more cities giving us 6 cities very close to the capital so maintenance is at its minimum:

There are crabs in the lower right corner, so it is still good.

This city has a lot going for itself. It has 1 good food resource and 1 weak but oh boy the production power with maoi.
Lets discuss. I don't know if 6 cities is even feasable at this level but all 6 have good resources and tiles and minimum distance to the capital.

Attachments

• Sid the Science Kid BC-1960.CivBeyondSwordSave
    71.7 KB · Views: 146
Man, that original cap was just hideous. Cam, I expect better map rollage next time :lol:

The city due east of cap seems logical next since it can help with cottage growth.

The Maoi city is actually pretty weak early, but this land is so abysmal that we will have to settle it eventually. I'd rather go for better spots early though.

As I mention early, I would have settle that western gold city on the PH next to the rice, but don't want to chap any more keesters.

[Crosspost with lymond - sorry about the roll!]

Killroyan,

Thanks for pausing.

I'd recommend that we work one of the new Floodplain Cottages instead of the Floodplain Farm - it'll slow the Settler, but we want those Cottages developed as a priority.

Just because we need more dotmaps ;);

oh wait, potential Maoi city has fish, for some reason I thought it was 2 whales. Yeah, that's a pretty good city.

That looks like a fairly large island over there - for Pangaea. We could grab it after construction for some overseas trade routes. Maybe 2 cities.

Agree with dotmap, although L for me could equally well be put 1W or 1NW (Killroyan's suggestion).

Interesting barb city accross the pond... Could be connected to America though.

@Killroyan, it looks like the capital is very close to growing if it weren't building a settler. If it can grow in a turn building something else (library for instance; EDIT: no writing yet, make that granary :p), please do so and switch back to settler. Always better to grow first if you're close to that and planning for building worker or settler.

I would settle K, J (in this order) with those 2 settlers coming out.
L can wait since we still lack fishing.

that island looks promising, but with lack of fishing and sailing it's long term project.

don't forget to start on the library after settler in cap...

this looks like good map, too bad we have to do cats+archers warfare...otherwise it would be good map to wait for ren breakout ;-)

Agree with Vranasm: K first, then J. J can help the cap grow some cottages.

I'm not so sure that's an island, but time will tell. No way to know right now.

And I agree with nocho that it's better to grow the cap to size 5 first, before continuing the settler.

Again, we're still not targeting our :espionage: points on anyone. It's a small point, but might be handy later on.

Okay last turns of my playset. Switched capital to warrior to grow for 1 turn. It was only 1 turn we missed so it is ok. Also switched to cottage to improve those asap instead of farmed floodplain.

Tech path was writing -> BW. I didn't revolt yet so the next player may do this. I set alphabet as first tech but that is just a placeholder.

Both settlers are finished. I settled rice city straight away and it is working a cottage. Worker is improving the rice though as golden cow can use it.

Send both workers to the east to improve th FP's over there as the kebab city is about to be settled. We could send in a worker first to chop the forest since BW is in. However I don't know if 20 hammers is worth waiting 5 more turns with our fourth city. I started libraries in all 3 cities as we want the beakers asap I guess.

Zara has settled another city near the american cow spot. It is still available (cow crab city) but we have to be fast I guess.

I do think that our fish sheep city to the north needs to be settled to. It just has to much production power and we may want a good naval city for the surrounding islands :)

Attachments

• Sid the Science Kid BC-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    79 KB · Views: 151
Looks good, Killroyan! :goodjob:

Got it. Haven't seen the save yet, but tentative plan based on screenshots would comprise the following:
- Tech: maths, construction. Fishing squeezed in when we need it for fish city.
- Switch to slavery.
- Found Kebab Central on the spot the settler is at. No immediate need for border pops, so we'll start with a granary.
- Capital: 2-pop whip library, overflow into granary. Hire 2 scientists. Kebab warrior will move back to cap for garrison duty.
- Gold city: library.
- Rice city: switch to granary, follow up with library.

If gold city with rice can grow quickly enough to size 4, I'd build fish city settler here and 2-pop whip it. If not, this city will build some workers, while capital chops out settler for fish.

So what's the consensus about the exact location of fish? I guess Killroyan's spot long term is the best one, but fish in first ring will get it up to speed fastest. Settling on a PH also has obvious advantages of course.

My spot be the better spot for the long term indeed. We need a border pop for the fish then but we can work sheep on a plains hill to get a library up fairly quick. We do not have fishing yet so. In terms of speed I agree with Cams spot. Immediate working of the sheep and the fish and extra hammer from plains hill. If we take this spot we can even put up a filler city at the end to get the whales in. So right now I am inclined to vote for Cams spot.

Oh I forgot to mention that I redirected the spy points to America. They have been accumulating for 7 turns now. You might want to change that, Nocho.

Tech path: All is well with math and construction but what do we want to do with cats? Let them be guarded with warriors? :p Nah just kidding. I guess Alpha will be out then and we will be able to trade for it hopefully. And then we can just steal archery from Roosie hehe.

Thanks Killroyan.

I've only had a very quick look this morning, and was reluctant to comment while I hadn't been more thorough, but likewise, looking good.

I think that the Warrior for 'Kebab City' should return back to the capital for +1 :) so it can continue to grow.

I'm more inclined not to go for "L" as I initially proposed, and happier to go north west, but even happier for us to debate it through.

Good job Killroyan (from SS's)

i would prefer city 2-4 get granaries before libraries (and when we're at it I could see skipping libraries 2-4 for now in exchange for barracks while going for the constr)

we will whip the army, so we need granaries and barracks are obvious too.

would be nice to get in capital rax after lib and granary too

I like to settle that fish on the PH 1N above the sheep, but at the same time we need to finish war infra before settler imo. Library costs almost the same as settler for us...

The timeframe for city 5 being useful in the war is closing and I almost think we could skip the idea altogether. We need to balance the maintenance and teching speed.

4 cities are good for bursting.
We probably should spare some trees around after math for chopping cats.

try to not whip much from cottages since the food potential (especially river city) is low

Remember Nocho:
1) I didn't revolt to slavery yet.
2) Spy points are directed to Roosie.

@V, I'd still go for city 5. It's a good prod city and we're short on those. Do agree though that a lib in this city merely for border pops is expensive and non-sensical. Hence I'd build a monument and be willing to research myst for that if needed (we're not going to spend wfyabta on that later anyway).

Generally agree with granaries and barracks. Gold city library is too advanced to just discard right now.

@V, I'd still go for city 5. It's a good prod city and we're short on those. Do agree though that a lib in this city merely for border pops is expensive and non-sensical. Hence I'd build a monument and be willing to research myst for that if needed (we're not going to spend wfyabta on that later anyway).

Generally agree with granaries and barracks. Gold city library is too advanced to just discard right now.

Well I think that city 5 has too steep of cost to set it up before war (fishing, myst are distractions from our main line and of course the increased maintenance is problematic too, would have to check, but I think that at 5 cities there is another maintenance jump or is it 4?)

there is a reason why AZ stays small (3 max 4 cities) for this kind of rushes.

But I will obey to the team of course. We just have to calculate with later attack date (I would like around 500 BC, but we could possibly go with around 1 AD this way)

Btw when we're at it... Washington or Zara? :-D

Well, in my normal games I would settle fish sheep in a heartbeat without even thinking about it. But since this is nothing like normal games I wouldn't mind Vranasm approach. The only downside is that we do not really have a production city (golden cow is the best one) and fish kebab would solve that.

The thing about the burst out is that the AI will only have archers to defend and maybe longbows. So that simplifies it by a lot. So would it hurt our rush that much? I am to inexperienced to answer that question at this level with Sid so I am looking to all the better players in my team to answer that. If the answer is yes it hurts to much then stay at 4 cities.

About the targets. We really need scouting of their lands. Zara is more likely to have high cultural defenses. Did Roosevelt already build some nice wonders? If so, then he is my prime target. That is why I redirected the spy points to him.

Top Bottom