game mechanic question

dpunk

Chieftain
Sometimes when I'm in enemy territory I can't move more than 1 tile per turn, even if enemy doesn't have The Great Wall or usually, it's past that point in the game.
-no enemy nearby
-roads are not pillaged
-no fallout
It doesn't happen all the time, but quite frequently it does and I'm not sure whats causing it.

Never had that... Maybe farms obscure the fact that you're moving on hills?

It is for balance purposes and the fact that a states territory is hegemonial highground. Considering there are no "civilian" units in CiV (no trade cavs, etc.). Simply put, every unit is considered an enemy with the obvious or not so obvious task to harm the other empire and therefore hostile. If you are friends with another civ you open borders, if you are not, you are an enemy.

For the sake of balance this has to be done, unlike in real life military considerations, e.g. soviet attack paths through Germany (Fulda Gap comes to mind, lots of highways and the like). Even hard core military sims like "Hearts of Iron" penalize moving into enemy territory with reduced infrastructure and therefore longer movement times, because they would benefit humans more than the AI which is not capable of complex battle planning and attack routes (not yet at least).

For the sake of balance this has to be done, unlike in real life military considerations, e.g. soviet attack paths through Germany (Fulda Gap comes to mind, lots of highways and the like). Even hard core military sims like "Hearts of Iron" penalize moving into enemy territory with reduced infrastructure and therefore longer movement times, because they would benefit humans more than the AI which is not capable of complex battle planning and attack routes (not yet at least).

And to some extent, it would also mimic the efforts of the home country to slow you down, like blowing bridges, destroying or mining roadbeds and overpasses, forcing rockslides and falling trees across them, etc.

I don't have the save anymore. It's happened to me on more than a few occasions so I'm sure it will happen again and I'll be sure to take note and make a save next time.

The best way I can describe it is, the great wall effect, but without the great wall. And on one occasion they had the great wall but I had dynamite researched, on another occasion their allied city-state territory also had this benefit.

On another note, I also have another question if anyone knows. If you have open borders and units in their territory, then DoW, do your units get moved out of their borders?

And on one occasion they had the great wall but I had dynamite researched....

On another note, I also have another question if anyone knows. If you have open borders and units in their territory, then DoW, do your units get moved out of their borders?

On the first point, the GW remains effective until the OWNER of the GW researches Dynamite. The fact that an invader has researched Dynamite does not impair the GW's effects. Of course, 3-range artillery will rip the GW to shreds, and (as happened in a recent game) may cause the GW owner to throw in the research towel and beeline to Dynamite in self defense.

On the second question, yes, your units are teleported out of their borders at the moment of the DOW (doesn't matter who initiates the DOW).

ah ok, that's probably what happened the game the enemy had great wall. I just finished dynamite and noticed I was still limited to 1 tile per turn. But, it was still early enough where he probably didn't have dynamite researched yet.

Most of the other games it happened to me, it has been late in the game (modern era+) and sometimes I'm even the one that has the great wall at that point, yet I'm still slowed to 1 tile per move.

There was one game where there was 3 civs left including me, I was at war with both the remaining civs. I had The Great Wall in a puppet of a civ that had been defeated. When in enemy Egyptian territory I could only move 1 per, when in enemy English territory I could move as normal.

As a side note, anyone who is on the same team as the player who built the Great Wall will also obtain the slowing benefit. I'm not sure if in that case it is still dependent on the builder to research dynamite to make it obsolete or the tile owner, but I would assume it is still the builder.

Top Bottom