How to get the Yoink! achievement?

Blanchflower

Prince
OK, I am playing as Austria and I would like to get the Yoink! achievement. How do I go about doing this?

Anyone has any hints? It says that, "As Austria, replace another civ as allies with a City-State and acquire the City-State through diplomatic marriage in the same turn". I am not sure what this means.

Please excuse my ignorance. Thanks!

:(

It means that if a city-state has an ally, and that ally is not you; that you must become that city-state's ally, and then perform a diplomatic marriage in the same turn.

It means that if a city-state has an ally, and that ally is not you; that you must become that city-state's ally, and then perform a diplomatic marriage in the same turn.

Thanks for the clear understanding. So the question is, how do I perform a diplomatic marriage as Austria? What unit should I have?

Thanks!

:)

You click on a city state that is allied with another civ.
Then you gift them gold, so you become their ally.
And after that in the same city state screen there is a marriage button when playing Austria.

Thanks for the clear understanding. So the question is, how do I perform a diplomatic marriage as Austria? What unit should I have?

Thanks!

:)

You don't need any unit, only enough money. The most sure way is to have a bunch of policies in Patronage, then accomplish the missions given to you by a city state allied to some else so you'll become a new ally and then buy Diplo Marriage for 500 gold (standard speed) on the same turn you became allies with a CS. If you're rich enough you can just buy an alliance and then Diplo Marry, though it takes a lot of money in G&K.

There is a option in the city state diplo screen. You will also need 500 gold to buy out the city state aswell as being the ally of the city state at the time

Edit: Dammn beaten to it

i loved getting this achievement. i didnt even know that it was one. Austria was the first civ i played and when i got i missed the little steam pop-up in game so after i got done i went to see what it is.

i got it through achieving a CS quest for most techs over 30 turns to replace another AI as ally. then i paid 500g for it. then they promptly declared war on me the next turn, haha. luckily enough it was a militaristic cs and i could fend them off without any of my units.

First time I married a city-state, I got the Yoink achievement. I was using the city as a springboard for an invasion. I had no idea it was allied with someone else. I actually didn't get it through gold, I got it by killing a barb camp and giving back the worker. Then I paid 500 gold on top.

But how do you skip the 5 turns limit? Does the diplomatic marriage has to be performed with that same city state just flipped from its allied relationship?

OK, I am playing as Austria and I would like to get the Yoink! achievement. How do I go about doing this?

Anyone has any hints? It says that, "As Austria, replace another civ as allies with a City-State and acquire the City-State through diplomatic marriage in the same turn". I am not sure what this means.

Please excuse my ignorance. Thanks!

:(
The achievement was changed as part of the Fall patch

"Yoink!" achievement is now: "As Austria, acquire a City-State with 15 or more units through Diplomatic Marriage."

Reference: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=476110

OK - has anyone seen a city state with 15 units?
This most I see seems to be about 7, and even then the state is crawling with units.

I guess the only way to encourage this is to have a military CS, ban them from spawning units and feed them lots of gold prior to marriage? Any thoughts?

OK - has anyone seen a city state with 15 units?
This most I see seems to be about 7, and even then the state is crawling with units.

I guess the only way to encourage this is to have a military CS, ban them from spawning units and feed them lots of gold prior to marriage? Any thoughts?
You can always try gifting them units (and hope they arrive safely and/or don't get disbanded).

Gifting units during the turn then immediately executing the marriage to get them all back sounds like the right way to go for me. (since my game is not Deity)
A shame since it is nice to get the achievements 'clean' not as an odd exercise.

But how do you skip the 5 turns limit? Does the diplomatic marriage has to be performed with that same city state just flipped from its allied relationship?

That post what made before the 5 turn wait time was introduced. The last patch made some changes to Diplomatic marriage. The AI with it's rofl-lots-of gold abused it too much.

That post what made before the 5 turn wait time was introduced. The last patch made some changes to Diplomatic marriage. The AI with it's rofl-lots-of gold abused it too much.

haha, and what's irritating about that it is that they overcompensated for it by having the AI spend all their gold in the patch anyway. it easily wouldve prevented Austria AI from buying 6+ CSs in most games. but it still was abusive in player's hands.

i'm just glad i got my Yoink pre-patch. I didnt even know it was an achievement. I was sick of having my alliance changed every turn by coups so when my CS quest (most techs in 30 turns) re-allied me I just rage-married it (if that's even a rage-term, haha).

You could gift a CS units until it reaches 15.

It's not that easy, as they don't have 15 free tiles in their territory and if you think you can donate it in waves you're wrong as they will disband them.

I think in my Deity save game they had 12 units (on Great Plains map, so there wasn't water everywhere around them like in a normal map) and I gifted them 3 more. Marriage costs where around 1700g?.

Top Bottom