lancers

from wikipedia:

"Although the lance had its greatest impact in the charge, lancers were vulnerable against other cavalry, as the lance proved a clumsy and ineffective weapon (compared to the sabre) at close quarters."

ironic

Yeah, Lancers being implemented in Civ 5 was a really desperate move. I prefered the Cuirassiers in Civ 4 as the renissance mounted unit.

Even worse, that the pikeman upgrades to it, and it upgrades to anti-tank gun :S dafuq? Makes no sense at all.

Imo, Pikes should upgrade to Muskets like the rest of the medieval infantry units.
Knights should upgrade to Lancers, which again upgrades to Cavalry.

Could also be solved by letting one unit choose between multiple upgrade paths, like Civ 4. Providing more tactical choices in a game like this could only be good :)

Yeah...

The whole Lancer concept comes from a divergence in 2 schools of thought when it comes to mounted non-firearm combat in the 19th to the early 20th century.

Essentially, Slash vs. Stab.

As common sense would suggest Slash is a lot more feasible and was adopted by the majority.

If we wanted to keep the Lancer in the game as a anti-mounted unit I suppose it fills a niche. However, I wouldn't mind seeing separate upgrade choices when you go from previous eras. It would also be nice to pick which path to follow.

Or just eliminate it entirely and make a separate promotion path for knights/cavalry to become anti-mounted by training.

They had it right before GaK, where the lancer had a penalty on defense and was meant to be used on offensive charges. However, everyone thought that was crap too. Now they are just a post-knight and pre-cav mounted unit with a weird upgrade path.

I personally think they improved the unit with this move but agree that it could still use a little something extra.

They had it right before GaK, where the lancer had a penalty on defense and was meant to be used on offensive charges. However, everyone thought that was crap too. Now they are just a post-knight and pre-cav mounted unit with a weird upgrade path.

I personally think they improved the unit with this move but agree that it could still use a little something extra.

It - just like every mobile unit - is getting a huge buff with the new pillage rules under the upcoming patch.

I HATE that Pikemen upgrade to lancers and then anti-tank guns.

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT

Eh, makes as much sense as swordsmen becoming mechanised infantry. The point is they fulfil the same roles.

And if you don't play multiplayer, why not just mod it if it bugs you so much?

I don't care for that upgrade path either, because while spears/pikes are often my mainline melee units in classical/medieval, in renaissance upgrading to lancers means my mainline units are suddenly relatively weak and can't be used in the same role as previous - meatshields which hold terrain very effectively, fortify/healing on hills/forests. Instead you basically have to build a new army of gunpowder units and upgrade the few swords you may have built in the preceding eras.

Well we're in a similar line of thought, does anyone actually like the upgrade path for Ranged? From archers to machine guns to mech infantry? I mean, its better than going right from archers to rifleman but still, all those wasted promotions....

It would be nice if there was some Late Era ranged unit that wasn't straight artillery. I've heard Mortars being mentioned as a reasonable alternative that is still being used to this day.

Well we're in a similar line of thought, does anyone actually like the upgrade path for Ranged? From archers to machine guns to mech infantry? I mean, its better than going right from archers to rifleman but still, all those wasted promotions....

It would be nice if there was some Late Era ranged unit that wasn't straight artillery. I've heard Mortars being mentioned as a reasonable alternative that is still being used to this day.

I hate upgrading my machine guns. Ranged units are the core of my army and by far my most experienced units. By the time I've got machine guns, I usually have about 6-10 units with logistics & range, with several that also have march.

If you have a machine gun with +1 range I would never upgrade it. I'd put it in a Citadel backed up with some artillery and just lay waste to everything that comes near me.

Top Bottom