National College ASAP and Liberty - How?

Liberty would have been competitive with tradition with 2 changes:
1) Instead of 40% reduction, complitly remover penalty to policies from self founded cities.
2) Really free GP, with out increase GP count. Gp of chosen type can be bought with fault starting with industrial era.

faith buy great engineers is really good with tradition in my opinion...

It's ridiculous when you combine something like order + tradition... faithbuy GE's, rushbuild space ship parts.

Not to mention getting those nice juicy wonders with GEs...

I think Liberty is weaker in that sense, it doesn't support a given victory condition. Where as something like tradition does support space victory, ultimately.

I suppose liberty would be better for domination win, though... In fact, my last game as poland, I went for liberty, patronage opener, commerce partially, rationalism partially, and order two policies. Then I backtracked along my way in those policies and I even filled out commerce to take advantage of my varied luxes. This was a war victory, made possible by huge production advantage. I did have to fight early wars to get out of a mountainous peninsula starting location and crush my continental opponents.

My science was only a little bit higher than Tall France AI, in king level for that matter.... That was sort of scary. France had great capital location but otherwise bad land, and they still had only marginally worse tech at industrial.

Even tradition + freedom, you get extra hammers from manufacturies if you plant them and go for new deal policy. More hammers to get those space ship parts out. Then again, sometimes the starting location is simply bad, and you have to adapt and overcome. Or restart...;)

I think Liberty is weaker in that sense, it doesn't support a given victory condition....I suppose liberty would be better for domination win, though

Exactly. Liberty makes domination easier and faster.

Here is a Wide Social Policy Order I have enjoyed.

Open Tradition > Open Liberty > Complete Liberty > Choose Great Prophet > Found Religion

It is by no means an Optimal Start but the +3 Culture/Turn from a Tradition Open gets you through the Liberty Tree much faster. But if you are Anti-Tradition to the extreme try this instead...

Open Honor (Farm/Hunt Barbs for Culture) > Open Liberty > Complete Liberty > Choose Great Prophet > Found Religion

I think Oligarchy isn't necessarily bad for a wide Civ. Towards the late military units cost around 4gold per turn to maintain. If you have 10 cities that can be a big saving in gold.

Top Bottom