Low food Deity help

BigJude

Chieftain
Evening all - I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster here, and wondered if anyone could give a little advice!

I've been trying to crack Deity for some time - and am currently at the level where I can win the odd game, but usually only with a standard Tradition science play, I've had real trouble trying to branch out and win using Liberty, Honour etc.

I like to take the game as it comes, with random civ, opponents and maps - today I rolled Bismark, on what I see as a really tough start, plenty of tundra, not much food - I went with Honour, as I see that as fairly synergistic with Bismark, and not too heavily hamstrung by the lack of food.

I managed to just about stay alive to the modern era whilst my two near neighbours Alexander and Augustus battered each other for centuries, however now that Alexander's finally finished off Rome, I've found myself sat next to an enormous powerhouse, and woefully lacking in every department.

What I wondered was A) am I wrong to think this is a tough start? I don't like re-rolling on principle, as I think attempting all scenarios will eventually make me a better player! B) What have I done wrong - was there a point where I've missed something glaring or could have salvaged the game? I'm certainly no expert at this level, so all advice gladly received!

I've included the turn 0 save, just in case anyone wants to have a crack and show me how it's done!

Saves attached - 4000 BC and 1700 AD - just after Alexander kills Augustus.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bismarck_0250 AD-1700.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    498.4 KB · Views: 34
Taking a quick glance at your Initial Save, this is a difficult start at best. I tried to walk out of the Tundra to find better Food, but there are too many nearby City States. The only Viable Capitol spot I was able to locate by Turn 10 was just South of a River one Tiles SW of the Cotton(Right where you put Hamburg). This Start would also suggest an Honor Open and an early DoW on Rome to the NW. As an additional thought, I would have Back Settled Hamburg where you placed Berlin.

Taking a quick glance at your Late Game Save, I noticed you had an Honor Open yet you did not Conquer Rome as early as possible. You need to be hyper aggressive and very successful if you commit to an Honor Open. Also you chose not to follow Honor with either Liberty (Wide Focus) or Tradition (Tall Focus) and you instead chose to dabble in Commerce. You chose Rationalism after that, but Rationalism is typically not as powerful alone as it is when it is backed by either a Full Tradition Tree or a Full Liberty Tree.

Top Bottom