pre-TNESIII: The Once and Future Thread

Strat, I am so impressed. I look forward to seeing where you go with such tangled webs.

A few of you have not yet claimed lands. For those of you, and for those (like bombshoo) who are still interested, here is a selection of some possible claim options on a recent version of the map.

Spoiler :

Option 1 - Windy, rocky, largely infertile lands apart from some passable farming around the lakes. Potential for a small trading port along the (extremely dangerous) northern coastline, with highly dramatic cliff formations. Decent opportunities for mining and quarrying.

Option 2 - The land on the northern coast looks like 1, with the disadvantage of being whipped by the open ocean. The south coast is much more livable. Sunnier and warmer, a fair if marginal farming and fishing area. Potential to create a fairly good local economy. Resources include fish and clay; no great timberland though.

Option 3 - Very dense forest. Extremely marginal farmland throughout. Decent aquaculture and forestry opportunities around the lake. Potential to create trade opportunities from the northern land route passing from Aurene's city to Lovell and the mountain passes.

Option 4 - Very nice land. A good protected bay for a trading city, decent farmland (especially in the east near the great river), and no serious rocky formations. House starting here will probably be very powerful with the potential to make agricultural surplus and export it north and west.

Option 5 - Difficult land. Not on any major trade routes, and the foothills of the mountains make for poor growing soil. Again, decent forestry/mining opportunities, but unlikely to have any major trading centers.

Option 6 - Extremely difficult land. Low, marshy fens for the most part. A house here could easily acquire large tracts of mostly-useless land. Long-term potential for growth in draining the marshes, but that would be extremely difficult.

Option 7 - Hardscrabble, post-glaciated moors. Excellent land for defending and mining, but not capable of supporting large groups of people. An extremely politically volatile area with a majority-Fennacht population. Will either be a Grayling marcher lord or a lesser Fennacht clan "beholden" to the Ymherador Dugallach just to the west.

Options 8 and 9, not shown, would be a smaller house in the unclaimed upper stretches of the main river, or holding a keep on either of the two great mountain passes. If you want to join in the north, talk to NK. :p

Claiming option 1, if that's all right. Family will be in Sunday.

One question about it - are there smaller lakes/lochs or just the big one?

Option 7 seems cool too, if someone else is taking #1.

On Religion

• The Observances - Common practices that all lords must follow to honor the gods
  • The Devotions - Deeper understanding of one particular god through years of cultic worship and loyalty
Lords will have to maintain the Observances to be in good standing with their people. This includes providing lands and homes for priests and priestesses of the greater gods, ensuring that the people have access to well-maintained temples and that festivals are observed. This all requires a certain amount of money and attention.

The Devotions are optional. If your characters seek to pursue the deeper mysteries of a particular god, they may gain special benefits and secret knowledge. Not to say that the inner reaches of the divine cults are free of risk...

It is commonly believed that the gods punish the impious, but you are certainly not obligated to believe that. After all, the gods have not been seen for centuries.

The Eight Great Gods

Yrea is the goddess of time, fate, destiny, and astronomy. She is believed to be the oldest of the gods. She is considered aloof from human affairs, but is invoked on solemn occasions.

Eodris is the ethnic culture-hero of the Graylings, a warrior king who may have been half mortal. He is the patron of just war, of rulers and generals, and is one of the most popular Grayling gods. It is believed that he forged the Diadems in the Golden Days.

Calia was originally an Athsarin goddess, the chief of their pantheon, but she has been adopted into the pantheon of the Isles. She is the goddess of grace, art, mathematics and refinement. She is the patroness of teachers, artists, and of many noblewomen.

Breln is the god of the family, of children, of peace, and of agriculture. His greatest festival is held with the harvest, and newlyweds pray to him chiefest for protection.

Ilith is the goddess of the evening, of shadow, of secrecy, and of seduction. Her trysts are held at sunset, and her color is the blood red of dusk. Rivalry with the priests of Breln.

Kermennos is an ancient god of the wild, and of hidden ways. His shrines are found in desolate places, deep forests and mountain peaks, and his priests are hermits and wanderers. He is the patron of the lost.

Jölvandr is the god of the sea, and of lunatics. It is believed that he has been driven mad, and can only be redirected or appeased. He is referred to as a "broken god".

Nyli is, curiously, a trickster goddess. She has been known to deceive by taking male forms, and hermaphrodites (while stigmatized in general society) are considered to be blessed (or cursed) of Nyli. Naturally, she is the goddess of both truth and lies.

---

The Hearth Gods

In addition to these major cults, there are a host of lesser gods, household gods, and demigods. Feel free to talk about these or make up your own, if you like. The isles are tolerant of foreign gods and cults, and are happy to worship them alongside their own, as long as they are not hostile to local beliefs.

The Fennacht religion is different. They worship a single god and believe in the power of ysberyd, local nature and animal spirits who are bound to the land and who can be invoked for blessings and curses. They are distrustful of foreign gods.

Claiming option 1, if that's all right. Family will be in Sunday. One question about it - are there smaller lakes/lochs or just the big one? Option 7 seems cool too, if someone else is taking #1.

There are just the two small lochs in that region, ork. But it's all yours.

Link to video.

I've set out the *basic ideas* of the gods, but it will be up to you guys to elaborate on their mythologies, what symbols they take, what their temples look like, etc. I'll help, of course. Also, if you have any ideas of your own and want to suggest alterations or additions to the pantheon, I'm fine with that. The idea behind this is that the Grayling pantheon is very fluid; local hearth gods and the greater cults often intermingle.

Spreading the devotion of your personal god could have many different effects, particularly in securing popular loyalty. Of course, ignoring the greater cults could be seen as a sign of arrogance. Also, you cannot appease all of the priest and priestesshoods equally.

I see the current popularity of the gods being Eodris, Calia, and Breln at the top, Ilith, Jölvandr and Yrea in the middle tier, and Nyli and Kermennos with the fewest followers. This is definitely something can change however.

Also; I think the continent has a different religious belief system now, but whether it's a different polytheistic pantheon or something else I haven't quite worked out yet.

House Skelton [Golden1Knight]

Sigil / Words:
Spoiler :

Lord: Aethelhere (44, M)

Heir: Leof (21, M)

Family:
Spoiler :

Lord Aethelhere (44, M)- In his youth, he was cheerful, vivacious. When he became a man, he fell in love with a woman from the local nobility, Anna, and for the happiness of both a marriage had been arranged between the two. But this happiness was short lived, as the young lady came to perish by a sudden illness. Aethelhere married again, but there was no love in this union. His happiness died with Anna. His new wife, Willa, won some affection from her husband with the birth of their children, which he undoubtedly loves, although unable to express it appropriately.

Dignified (+3)
Just (+1)
Patient (+0)
Distant (-1)

Lady Willa (37, F)- Since childhood, she always dreamed of marrying a gallant lord, and that they would both love each other passionately and have many children. It turns out that her dream was crushed when her father forced her to marry a recently widowed lord, whose cold heart would never accept to love her. When all seemed lost, the happiness came in the form of an adorable baby. Willa came to love young Leof unconditionally, her only joy in life. Even with the birth of other children, her love continued to be directed solely to her firstborn, his happiness becoming an obsession to her. This behavior proved to be harmful in the education of the lad, and worsened the relationship with her husband. Now, their marriage consists only of tolerance.

Clever (+2)
Amoral (+0)
Proactive (+0)
Dishonest (-1)
Obsessive (-2)

Leof (21, M)- Since childhood, he was always led to believe by his mother that his will was an order, and that there was no one like him. This arrogant behavior was always scolded by his father, and soon their relationship deteriorated. Regardless of his odious behavior, Leof was always envied by his brother and sisters, not only for being the heir, but also for his beauty, cleverness and unconditional love that he received from their mother. However, he secretly envied his brother Aart.

Clever (+2)
Attractive (+2)
Amoral (+0)
Arrogant (-1)
Temperamental (-1)

Aart (19, M)- Being the second child, fate played a trick on this kid. Had he born first, he would be the perfect heir. Too smart for his age, he received an outstanding education. While no one dares to comment, the fact is that the lack of love from his mother made ​​him a somewhat distant man, like his father. However, although a brilliant man, his apparent cowardice always worried his father. After all, he would not be such a perfect heir.

Brilliant (+5)
Literary (+1)
Idealist (+0)
Moral (+0)
Distant (-1)
Cowardly (-2)

Udela (15, F)- A lovely girl, and even lovelier when she plays her lyre. She is already becoming a woman, and will soon have to get married. While other girls anxious wait for this moment, Udela shivers when she thinks about it. Being shy, the idea of spending the rest of her life with a stranger do not please her.

Kind (+2)
Musical (+1)
Shy (-1)

Synne (12, F)- Known throughout the castle as a beautiful and lovely girl, she is the favorite of her father. Sociable, she made ​​friends with almost all the servants, especially with other children. She is as beautiful as her older brother.

Attractive (+2)
Friendly (+1)

Characteristics​

The whole family has light brown hair and gray eyes. Tend to be thin, and have an average height.

Retainers:
Spoiler :

Coenhelm Harrison: Lord of Aldburg and its surrounding area. A man as hard as the mountains of his land, he is not very interested in politics, and is content with his relatively simple life for a noble.
Eward Reeve: Lord of Brungar and its surrounding area. A man with a good heart, and expert hunter. His sister is married to Lord Aethelhere, making them friends, even if somewhat distant, due to the nature of Lord Skelton.

Allies/Rivals: Lord Skelton is an ally of his vassal, Lord Eward Reeve, through his marriage with his sister.

Sources of Income: The local lands arent very rich, true, but they give a relatively nice income. Agriculture is not very profitable due to the terrain of the region, but income is supplemented by logging and fishing. This is due to the presence of the lake and the vast and dense forests.

Holdings:
Spoiler :

Wardburh: Seat of the House Skelton. An ancient castle, built on the banks of the lake. It is damp and cold, but the fireplaces handle it. Most of the time.
Ardburg: Home of the Harrison family, this is a relatively new castle, built at the base of the mountains.
Brungar: A very old and rustic castle. The stone shares space with wood, making this a more warm and comfortable castle, but also making it more vulnerable. Set amidst the forest, it is the ancestral seat of House Reeve.

History:
Spoiler :
The Skelton descend from a general of the Greyling people who acted in an outstanding manner during the Conquest of the Islands. His name was Aethelric, and as a reward for his services he received some land and the right of nobility. However, the land received was not that valuable, therefore House Skelton has always played a secondary role in local politics. No member of the family was as brilliant as its founder, denying this family a glorious destiny, and condemning it to live past glories.

EDIT: I have chosen Option 3.

Here are some sweet and almost entirely irrelevant power rankings. In order to get an overall idea of your power, average the two, the higher the better. You'll have real income when the NES starts, of course.

Prestige

1. House Elming
2. House Ulf
3. House Hartwell
4. House Illen
5. House Raskakalle
6. House Siegaesc
7. House Grijsman
8. Clan Dugallach [sort of]
9. House Mabun
10. House Skelton
11. House Lovell
12. House Vardel
13. House Daufing
14. House Kathar
15. House g'Aurené
16. House Violla
17. Clan U Seor

Wealth

1. House g'Aurené
2. House Elming
3. House Ulf
4. House Siegaesc
5. House Mabun
6. House Illen
7. House Daufing
8. House Raskakalle
9. Clan Dugallach
10. House Hartwell
11. House Kathar
12. House Lovell
13. House Violla
14. House Vardel
15. House Skelton
16. Clan U Seor

Grijsman not included in Wealth yet because I don't know their lands.

Thlayli how many retainers should a major house have? Will the lands of retainers be from inside my borders, or outside?

House of Grijsman [The Strategos]
Sigil / Words:
Spoiler :

Lord: Saxan, Male, 56
Heir: Ionis, Male, 33
Family:
Spoiler :
Saxan: 56
Spoiler :
Dignified (+3)
Pious (0)
Sickly (-3)

Enna: 39
Spoiler :
Cynic (+0)
Vain (-1)
Temperamental (-1)

Ionis: 33
Spoiler :
Master (Joust) (+3)
Hardy (+2)
Tempermental (-1)
Cruel (-2)

Grace: 23
Spoiler :
Kind (+2)
Diligent (+1)
Friendly (+1)
Pious (0)

Alina: 4
Spoiler :
Child

Alem: 30
Spoiler :
Skilled (Hunter) (+1)
Amoral (+0)
Obsessive (hunting)(-2)
Lazy (-2)

Kylie: 21
Spoiler :
Clever (+2)
Artistic (+1)
Amoral (+0)
Cynic (+0)
Depraved (-1)
Rebellious (-2)
Addicted (-3)

Thierry: 2
Spoiler :
Child

Bern: 21
Spoiler :
Master (Seduction)(+3)
Persuasive (+2)
Clever (+2)
Skilled (Duelist) (+1)
Musical (+1)
Lucky (+1)
Diligent (+1)
Friendly (+1)
Pious (+0)
Moral (+0)
Patient (+0)
Bisexual
Depraved (-1)
Vain (-1)
Ugly (-2)

Retainers:
Spoiler :

Zwartlicht
Spoiler :

Balcaen 40
Loyal (+2)
Just (+1)
Pious (0)
Distant (-1)

Thys 21
Beloved (+4)
Attractive (+2)
Literary (+1)
Skilled (Knight)(+1)
Friendly (+1)
Homosexual (-1)
Depraved (-1)

Shana 18
Kind (+2)
Diligent (+1)
Slow (-1)

Helm 18
Skilled (Knight)(+1)
Temperamental (-1)
Rebellious (-2)

Liv 14
Clever (+2)
Friendly (+1)
Literary (+1)

Kaat 10
Friendly (+1)
Sickly (-3)

Volwit
Spoiler :

Hastert 35
Hardy (+2)
Slow (-1)
Incompetent (-3)

Talia 30
Beloved (+4)
Smart (+2)
Kind (+2)
Friendly (+1)

Veerle 15
Speech Impediment (-1)
Shy (-1)

Mele 10
Smart (+2)
Arrogant (-1)

Leek 2

Allies/Rivals:
Spoiler :

Sources of Income:
Spoiler :

Holdings:
Spoiler :
Option 4; most of my main characters are in the capital so at this time I'm not too concerned about this

History:
Spoiler :
Old House

I've updated my template. Still a bit more to do.

Looks great so far, Mas. So, the deadline is fast approaching.

I have templates from:

Masada (incomplete)
TaylorFlame
Defacto
Golden1Knight
Grandkhan
Strategos (incomplete)
Seon

I am missing templates from:

cicero (though he's been doing some good work on holdings)
ork (and characters)
bombshoo (and characters)
Shadowbound
azale
North King
bestshot (who might be out of town, so he gets a pass)
LoE
nuka

Masada and Strategos should finish filling their sections out when they can. It's important you guys finish these so that I can finish making the map and create the stats, so that the proper NES can begin sometime in the next few weeks.

Anyone who doesn't have their template in by Friday at the latest will be publicly shamed and hassled. And also I'll just name their holdings for them. And their youngest daughter will be eaten by bears.

Twice now I have tried to submit stuff and civfanatics has deleted it. I lost a lot of stuff about holdings and income, but that shouldn't be too hard to recreate.

Most of what I have at this point is notes, but I should be able to have them fleshed out by Friday. If you could help me through the stat points on #nes before then it would be well received - I don't really understand where they come from, as the system has been changed a bunch...

Here's what I have:

House Letten:

History:

The Lettens are an old house, with vast swaths of land under their direct and indirect rule. This is not to say, however, that they are wealthy. These plains are poor in soil, and only select portions of their realm are actually suitable for farming. Of the sparsely populated territory, most people are shepherds or ranchers, with some mining and farming villages near the mountains and coasts, respectively.

Family Members:
Spoiler :

Enrik Letten (M, 51)
Enrik is the leader of what could be considered the greatest generation of his house. Ascending to the patriarchal seat with empty coffers, his shrewd stewardship and diplomatic skill have resulted in great enrichment of the Letten clan and the ancestral territories. His self-arranged marriage into the Morgeau family of the island’s southern portion gave the Lettens complete control of the land - which Enrik took full advantage of. He is loved by all who surround him, though much of his immediate family only take advantage of his kindness. The matter of his heir and children have also contributed to a great deal of anxiety for the more minor nobles of the Letten lands.

Helga Letten (F, 47)
The wife of Enrik, Helga is of the prominent Morgeau family, who traditionally rule over the lands to the south of the Lettens. Primarily a political union (she was the sole child of Alfrank Morgeau, and therefore heir to the Morgeau territory), Enrik’s constant overseeing and management of his lands have left Helga largely to her own devices. She spends her time divided between a personal cottage near one of the island’s lochs and Hall Letten. She has borne five children of her husband

Sigsmand Letten, M (25)
first son, psychopathic, depraved, violent. hated by all except his father

Arnst Letten, M (23)
second child, hedonist, harem, depraved, more interested in his own pursuits than politics or family affairs; ties with merchant companies in form of friendships

Giselle Letten, F (22)
cruel, smart, distanced, especially from affairs of family, gay (?)

Enrik Letten, M (18)
true heir, follows father everywhere, beaten by sigsmand, lords etc. love him

Rolph Letten, M (16)
martially interested, highly pious, traditionalist, distanced from most family affairs

Willem Morgau, M (70)
helga’s father, living with the Lettens in old age. old and wise, acts younger than his age, not terribly respected due to unfamiliarity

Adelina Morgau, F (23)
favorite child of Willem, brought to keep company, in Arnst’s arms every now and then. ambitious, but not especially intelligent.

Odho Morgau, M (9)
followed his grandfather and older sister, likes to play with other castle boys, always follows rules. studies hard with tutor.

Though I am offended that you seem to have forgotten I am also out of town, I'll see if I can submit something tonight.

House Siegaesc/<nuke>
Sigil / Words: A White Eagle on red and blue stripes
Lord: Aethelred Siegaesc
Heir: Riveon Siegaesc
Head of Household: Unferth Siegaesc
Family:
Spoiler :

Aethelred &#8220;The Winged Stag&#8221; Siegaesc, Age 18: Aethelred, the Winged Stag as he is called, is the culmination of years of planning by his family and their return to prominence. The first in his family to hold any meaningful title for generations, Aethelred has received the best possible education, in both the martial and diplomatic arts, in order to prepare him for his role. Having recovered the ancestral family sword Talon, and wearing House Siegaesc's diadem, Aethelred led an army against the alliance of some of the disloyal Schlett, and Houses Grafford, and Sagrud that rose up against his rule. Now the Master of the East, he turns his eye westward to the coming war between the Reds and Grays. In honor of his passed mother, Aethelred&#8217;s personal standard is a stag with wings.

+9, -4
+Clever
+Lucky
+Hardy
+Attractive
+Trained (Knight)
+Friendly
_Amoral
-Temperamental
-Vain
-Depraved

Unferth Siegaesc, Age 58-The Head of House Siegaesc, Unferth grew up when the House Siegaesc had little meaning. Though holding the ancient symbols of their House&#8217;s former power and wealth, none took their house seriously. Unferth watched with fury as his sister was forced to marry into House Grafford in order to help justify their wars against other houses . Since that day, Unferth swore to make it so that when people heard the name Siegaesc, they would not only respect it, but fear it.
+5, -6
+Clever
+Master (Strategist)
_Amoral
_Patient
_Cynic
-Vain
-Obsessive
-Distant
-Cruel
-Dishonest

Wiglaf, Age 39-Wiglaf was perhaps the perfect consort for his wife. While she ruled her lands, Wiglaf supported her decisions, made for a loving husband, stayed out of court politics, and when the time came for it, would lead her armies. Wiglaf has, for the most part, a non existent relationship with his father. Wiglaf gives his father pride when he competes in melees and lists, but after his marriage to fulfill his familial duties, Unferth&#8217;s interest in him is only as a seasoned commander for the family&#8217;s army when the time comes. He tries to be a better father to his children, but feels lost without his wife Edith. She has been dead for 3 years, and his only solace comes from swinging either the bottle or the blade. A good warrior, he has many scars over his once beautiful visage, and when the time comes, he is one of the most dangerous men in the world with a sword in his hand.
+3, -6
+Master (Knight)
_Patient
-Ugly (Scarred)
-Shy
-Addicted

Modrya Schlett, Age 46-the elder sister of Edith, Modrya was intended to be the heiress to her father Haefen after her younger brother&#8217;s death. While before she had been shunned in favor of her prettier and more intelligent sister, her newfound status flooded Modrya with suitors. However, aside from the attention she received, she cared little for the men who paid her court. However, when her sister gave birth to a son, her father informed her that Edith would inherit his lands unless she bore a son before his death. In desperation, she married Caedman of House Grafford, but they had no children. She found few supporters for her claim, and upon Edith&#8217;s death, her own claim was overshadowed by her distant relative Faerian Schlett. She and her husband&#8217;s house supported Faerian&#8217;s war against Aethelred, but were soundly defeated and her husband was killed. Due to her age, she remains locked away, out of sight and out of mind, only seconds away from death...
+0. -10
-Homosexual
-Ugly
-Incapacitated
-Sickly

Riveon "The Singing Stag" Siegaesc, Age 17. The second son of Wiglaf, Riveon is far less interested in things such as knighthood and combat, preferring instead the company of beautiful women and music. He rivals his elder brother Aethelred for looks; Aethelred is the traditional knightly hero, but Riveon appeals to the woman who dreams of courtly romance of a man who sings and dances. And Riveon does that and more. Riveon could be described as beautiful, with a curl in his blonde hair and a much more slender build. While he is not a knight, Riveon is useful to his family as a diplomat, as he has a way of getting along with others, and even as a spy, with a way of getting people to say things they wouldn't usually say.
+Attractive
+Clever
+Musical
+Friendly
_Amoral
-Vain
-Arrogant
-Depraved

Aria &#8220;The Doe&#8221; Siegaesc, Age 16-the eldest daughter of Wiglaf, Aria is beautiful and, from her countless suitors, she knows it. Through her grandfather&#8217;s training, she learned how to manipulate others with it to use to her advantage. Aria has a love for politics, and is an avid social climber, her goal to be seen by all and to inspire envy in them. She does not seek power for the sake of ruling though, and would rather leave that to her family. +4, -4
+Attractive
+Clever
_Amoral
-Vain
-Arrogant

Tigel, Age 14. The younger brother and squire for Aethelred, Tigel is not much like his brother. Slow to make friends and quick to hide from strangers, Tigel seeks to become a brave warrior like his brother.
+1, -1
+Diligent
-Shy

Myiria Siegaesc, Age 11. The middle daughter, Myiria is already described as fair and beautiful, though without her sister's mean and arrogant spirit.
+1
+Attractive

Kaitarina Siegaesc, Age 6. Already she has the look of her mother, but she is still young.
+1
Attractive

Garrun Siegaesc, Age 4. The youngest of all, his mother died when he was but a baby.

Randius "The Bald Eagle" Siegaesc, age 34. The second, and forgotten, son of Unferth, Randius was never as flashy as his brother. He is a decent enough lieutenant, though the only reason he is given responsibility is because of his last name. Curiously, he held three different betrothals, all of which failed (one died, one ended up breaking it to become a priestess, and the third became incredibly sick and though she did not die, the Siegaesc ended up cancelling the betrothal). He is also bald, hence the nickname.
+Skilled (Ship Captain/Sailor)
+Skilled (Knight)
_Patient
-Ugly

Grayvheg &#8220;The Black Eagle&#8221; Siegaesc, Age 36-A cousin of Wiglaf and , Grayvheg officially serves as the personal guard of the family. However he serves a far more sinister purpose, working as a spy, messenger, torturer and executioner. On the battlefield, he is dangerous and imposing, wearing jet black armor and wielding a sword that has been dubbed &#8220;Night Terror&#8221;. Grayvheg, trusted by the cousin who is near paranoid of all, earned his position not only due to his efficiency, but also his misfortune: he is mute. His personal coat of arms is a black eagle on a white background.
+2, -6
+Skilled (Knight)
+Diligent
_Cynic
-Mute
-Ugly
-Cruel

Retainers:
Spoiler :

House Hyerfern (Major): A powerful banner of House Siegaesc in its own right, House Hyerfern used to be one of the strugglers for dominance of the Haeder Valley until the dominance of Siegaesc returned. Halden Hyerfern&#8217;s sister was married to Unferth Siegaesc, and was able to fight against his bitter enemies of Grafford in the war over Aethelred&#8217;s inheritance. While victorious, House Hyefern became retainers to House Siegaesc after the war. Halden Hyefern, 67, is the head of the house, and is old and grey, and has aged rapidly in the past few years, but still desperately clings to life. Some say he is desperate to ensure his son Bryndan, 26, has as little time as possible to ruin the house. Despite Halden&#8217;s six wives, his only son to survive to adulthood is Bryndan, be it through sickness, battle, and accident. Bryndan, unlike his brothers, is a coward and a bit slow, though he is a very well meaning and just man. Halden Hyefern has a daughter, Haria, 23, who is known to be far more intelligent, though a bit cold. House Hyerfern&#8217;s lands are rich, and is anchored by it&#8217;s seat Windfast. They also hold the keep Winghearth House Hyerfern&#8217;s sigil is a purple hawk on a white field. Their words are &#8220;The winds bring change&#8221;.

Halden Hyerfern, 67: Once a great and powerful warrior that terrified the battlefield, and a man who made great alliances to make his house great, Halden is a shadow of his former self through his sickness and depression. His last war, taking up the Siegaesc&#8217;s banner against Farian Schlett, caused him to lose ten of his sons in the war, sinking him into a major depression. His house is strong now, but Halden only had the most incompetent of his sons, and his daughter, left. And soon, the sickness will take him.
+ Wise
_Amoral
-Sickly
-Arrogant

Bryndan Hyerfern, 26: A man who is kind, gets along with everyone, fiercely loyal and with a strong sense of justice. A good man, he would be any serf&#8217;s vision of what a lord should be. However, his fatal flaw is that he is absolutely, and grossly incompetent. Though he was never expected to be heir and therefore, never trained, his incompetence is simply staggering. His swordwork was awful, and had no head for numbers, strategy, or anything like that. At court, he is easy to take advantage of, but some of the kinder lords take pity on him. He had dreams of being a knight before and jousting, but his father refused to allow that. He desperately wants to win his father&#8217;s approval.
+Loyal
+Kind
+Just
+Friendly
_Moral
_Idealist
_Proactive
_Pious
-Incompetent
-Vain

Haria Hyerfern, 23: A much more ambitious and competent member of the family, she is the only daughter of 14 children. With only Bryndan left, Haria sees herself as the natural successor to the family&#8217;s holdings, viewing her brother as an idiot (for his part, Bryndan seems oblivious to this, and sees her as a sweet younger sister). As her father grows closer to death, Haria seeks out potential allies to make herself ruler of Windfast.
+Attractive
+Wise
_Amoral
-Distant
-Cruel

House Lien (Major): An odd house, the Lien are new bannermen of House Siegaesc after Aethelred crushed much of the opposition of the Haederic Valley. House Lien saw an opportunity to gain new lands against the enemies of House Siegaesc, by fighting against Farian Schlett, and was rewarded with new lands and prominence. House Lien now situates as second in status only to the House Hyerfern. House Lien is known for making a general mockery of the ideas of nobility and knighthood, despite their head Cirraw being the ideal Greyling warrior and general. When the House&#8217;s founder was told to pick a sigil for the house, he reportedly simply chose the Log he was standing on. The House&#8217;s sigil is a dark brown log, on a field of a lighter brown, an embarrassment for their bannermen, but an absolute delight for the members of House Lien, with some of their enemies calling him them the sh**lords (or whatever you call excrement). Their House words are &#8220;The Log Rolls&#8221;. They hold two keeps, one of Oakhearth, the other of Fairhaven. The patron goddess of the House is Nyli, with lesser devotions paid to Yrea.

Cirraw Lien, 51: A man anyone would be proud to call a father or husband except those who actually have to call him such, Cirraw was a key player in the Siegaesc&#8217;s bid for a return to power, and was justly rewarded. Cirraw was the man who dealt Farian Schlett his first defeat and was the wall that Aethelred eventually crushed the Schlett-Grafford armies into. After catapulting his house into prominence, power and wealth, Cirraw is unsure of his next move. His children are disappointments, with his eldest&#8217;s odd preferences and his younger son&#8217;s arrogance, while his daughter simply cannot obey anything he says. Even worse, as they grow older, they are all still unmarried.

+Master (General)
+Master (Swordsman)
_Patient
-Distant
-Temperamental

Mabel Lien, 43: The daughter of an Athsarin merchant, she certainly was not married for her looks. Her quick tongue and substantial dowry was a major boon though, and Cirraw enjoys his wife in spite of her looks. Mabel enjoys gossip and court more than anything, except of course for expensive clothes and jewelry. She is growing quite hefty lately.

+Clever
-Ugly

Eddard Lien, 23: The eldest son and heir to the head of the house, Eddard is a very intelligent man, very experimental, and an incredibly hardworker. When applied to war, Eddard has already seen the fruits of his mind pay off, and has helped his father win many victories. Whatever he might have in his mind is offset by his body though, where he is unable to move in armor, much less pick up a full sword. As such, his talents as a general are applied at the rear of the army wearing silks. An open secret though is that Eddard posses a wide variety of dresses and other women&#8217;s clothes that he enjoys wearing. It is not a matter of sexual preference, but it seems he simply enjoys it, perhaps to help hide with the awkwardness of his body. Outside of his family, the only one that knows his secret is his father&#8217;s liege lord, Aethelred Siegaesc, when they served as pages together. Aethelred not only kept his secret, but supported him, causing Eddard to develop a fierce loyalty towards him.
+Innovative
+Diligent
+Smart
+Skilled (General)
+Loyal
_Patient
_Cynical
-Distant
-Depraved (Crossdresser)
-Vain
-Weak (Physically not very strong)
-Unattractive (Less extreme than ugly?)

Victus Lien, 21: Were it not for the worry that he would drive the house into ruin with his decisions, or that he might die after giving his opponent one too many chances, Victus would likely have been made heir over Eddard. Victus enjoys dueling immensely, something that greatly worries his father.
+Friendly
+Skilled (Swordsman)
-Arrogant
-Vain
-Slow

Jialia Lien, 16: Rather unremarkable in all ways except for her enjoyment of painting, Jialia is still unmarried, and has very few friends. Recently, Eddard has been coming to her room to watch her paint. As of yet, the two have yet to speak, and she continues to paint, though she is highly confused why her brother has taken a sudden interest in her.
+Artistic
-Shy

House Kaol (Minor): A minor house, with little land, House Kaol is known for raising the highest quality of cattle and bull. Led by their Lord Karruc Kaol, 46, he has two daughters, Yulia, 17, and Kalia, 16, and married to Faeria Schlett . Staunch traditionalists, they are fiercely loyal to House Siegaesc, due to the protection afforded to them, and while they have few men at arms to contribute, they have plenty of wealth to contribute to their coffers. Their seat is Canagon Hall. Their Sigil is a Bull with a red flag on a field of green. Their house words are &#8220;Honor will guide us&#8221;. House Kaol is full blooded Greyling, with all of its children having traditional Greyling looks. Their patron god is Breln.

Karruc Kaol, 46: Dependable and strong like the bull that adorns his banner, Karruc's most important thing is family pride and honor. As one of the most ancient Greyling houses, he is constantly on guard of the family's reputation. He hates Jael Thamden. He is considering calling one of the cadet family members of House Kaol to marry his daughter to keep the family line intact and to carry on the Kaol name.
+Hardy
+Loyal
_Moral
_Idealist
-Tempermental

Faeria Kaol, nee Grafford, 33: A woman who, as she gets older and does not produce a son, has her husband look at her less and less fondly. She cares not for what a dumb bull thinks of her though, and is fiercly protective of not only her status and privileges, but her daughters as well. A member of one of the off shoots of House Grafford, she holds little loyalty to the now extinct main line.
+Clever
_Amoral
-Cruel

Yulia Kaol, 17. A smart girl, and a hard worker, Yulia dreams more of learning than she does marriage. As of recent, her biggest interest is delving into the Gods and their mysteries.
+Smart
+Literary
+Diligent
_Idealist
_Pious
-Shy

Kalia Kaol, 16. Not the brightest of girls, but she is quite a sight to behold&#8230;.Sometimes will fight with her sister, and it usually ends with Kalia unsure of what had just happened. She dreams of being married to a Knight, and would give anything for it.
+Attractive
+Friendly
-Slow

House Thamden (Minor): A recently created house from the ruins of House Grafford, House Thamden was created by one of the loyal Siegaesc knights, Jael Thamden, who supplied a group of men at arms for the war against House Schlett. Now ruling his new names, he and his men have taken to...ahem&#8230; increasing their serf population. However, while Jael is a depraved individual, he has eyes on bigger prizes. He notices House Kaol with two daughters and no sons, and has taken to aggressively courting Yilia Kaol, much to the embarrassment and fury of Karruc Kaol. House Thamden&#8217;s seat is Thornhill, one of the keeps held by House Grafford, and while its lands are fertile enough, House Thamden&#8217;s more important role is as a guard against House Lovell. Their sigil is a collection of weapons, an ax, a sword, a spear, a mace, and a hammer, with a green wreath wrapped around them, on a white field. Their house words are &#8220;Onward to Victory&#8221;. House Thamden has no former lineage, and is very mixed, with Jael Thamden having black hair, and green eyes.
Jael Thamden, 26
+Trained (Knight)
+Hardy
_Proactive
-Wroth
-Depraved
-Cruel

Allies/Rivals: House Raskakelle is a traditional ally to House Siegaesc. Many of House Siegaesc throughout the generations can remember a Raskakelle mother, grandmother, uncle, cousin or even spouse. Thankfully for the common folks, the two most powerful houses of the East have chosen friendship over war.

Their relationship with House Elming is a bit complicated. Though historically they were staunch supporters of the crown since the days of the First King and in the past intermingled with them as royal consorts, when the Siegaesc fell from power, House Elming did little to prevent it. Now, they are loyal bannermen, but some of the former companionship is gone.

House Siegaesc has good relations with all of its bannermen, having wiped out anyone who may have caused them trouble. House Kaol is the most loyal, House Thamden is highly dependent, and personal ties help relations with House Hyerfern and House Lien

Sources of Income: Through the control of the Haederic Valley, either directly or from their bannermen, House Siegaesc is one of the richest houses in the southern isles. Agriculture is their primary income, their serfs primarily focused on farming the vast expanses of farmland. Aside from farming, the lands of House Siegaesc have rich forests for timber and game, and their control of the river allows to collect duties from trade going up or down river. Finally, in times of desperation, the Haederic Valley is one of the most populated regions of the Kingdom, and the serfs under their rule can always be taxed a bit heavily&#8230;

Holdings:
Spoiler :
Fortresses

Sieghelm: The traditional and ancient seat of House Siegaesc, Sieghelm is a double walled fortress that was, until recently, in disarray. Now, rebuilt with Schlett money, it is a respectable fortress that helps anchor the power of House Siegaesc in the Haederic Valley. Of particular prominence is the incredibly high tower, said to be built by the House&#8217;s founder, the Eagle&#8217;s Nest, which many inaccurately call the rest of the fortress. The other prominent fixture is one of the jagged walls, known as the Claw. It is a darker, and more foreboding fortress. Sieghelm is the seat of Unferth Siegaesc.

Hart Hall: The former seat of power for House Schlett, Hart Hall is now a key fortress of the Siegaesc&#8217;s domination of the Haederic Valley from start to finish, anchored at the end of the river on a beautiful lake. It looks like one might expect a fairy-tale castle to look like, with white stone walls and towers, and a pleasant village town to accompany it. Outside the fortress and the village, there is a forest preserve where hunting takes place for the holder of the Hall. Hart Hall is the seat of Aethelred Siegaesc, and where a majority of his family lives.

Murder&#8217;s Roost: A strong keep, with a tall black tower and it helps control a nearby small town of Hadelhearth. The keep was made to help ensure that the new Siegaesc lands would be kept under firm control under a hard lord, and Grayvheg Siegaesc has done much to ensure Siegaesc control of the region, as well as to act as a buffer on the river as you first enter Siegaesc lands.

City:

Greyport: One of the oldest Greyling cities in the isles, Greyport does not have a natural harbor, but it serves as the gateway into and out of the Haederic Valley. Formerly the holding of House Strassaien, House Siegaesc has taken control of the city during the war against Faerian Schlett, for strategic control of the river. The sheer amount of trade that passes through the city makes it quite rich, though it one of the lesser populated cities of the Kingdom. Greyport&#8217;s buildings are mostly made of grey stone, and it&#8217;s central square holds a statue to Eodris. The city is ran by three men in a council; the Siegaesc Lord of Greyport, the formerly non-hereditary Lord of the Western Gate, and the merchant elected mayor. The current Lord of Greyport is Wiglaf Siegaesc.

Mayor Madieu ge Laurdre: A portly and jovial man, Madieu has been mayor for some time now, and is almost universally loved by the merchants except for his new rival, Alaise g'Elebron. Madieu loves feasts, money, and peasant women, perhaps a bit too much for the last one.
+Kind
+Friendly
+Lucky
-Depraved
-Addicted (Food)

Alaise g'Elebron is a young up and coming merchant, recently arrived from the continent, who, during the last meeting of merchants, stood against Madieu ge Laurdre for mayor. Though he lost, Alaise is seen as a potential rival for the mayor&#8217;s ambitions, and has gained influential friends very quickly. Though he enjoys winning wealth and status, he rarely seems to partake in anything but clothes; he is thin, sober, and has not been seen even looking at a woman.
+Clever
+Trained (Banker and Merchant)
_Amoral
-Vain
-Homosexual

Lord Ciorten Fayer, Defender of the Western Gate, 47. The new hereditary lord of the Western Gate (which also comes with the Captaincy of the city guard), Lord Ciorten betrayed House Strassaien during the Siegaesc siege when they declared for Faerian Schlett. Despite his own house being destroyed by the Siegaesc family, Lord Ciorten was a distant branch member, hated his more prosperous relatives, and saw advancement for both himself, and his son. He has something better than petty cash earned by bribes. He is Lord of the Western Gate, and with it, status. Yes, no one will ever leave him just because they have &#8220;Lord&#8221; in front of their name now&#8230;
+Trained (Swordsman)
_Amoral
_Cynical
-Obsessive (Status)
-Ugly

Cole Fayer, Age 16. His father&#8217;s pride and joy, son of his first wife, Cole is a young man with a good head on his shoulders. A bit shy due to the fact his father sheltered him, he is, nonetheless, a fine young man, and will hopefully be a more just Captain than his father.
+Hardy
+Smart
+Kind
-Shy

History: House Siegaesc is descended from Haederic Siegaesc, a key leader in the Greyling conquest. Initially one of the strongest houses in the East, the Siegaesc family grew to irrelevance in the valley that bore their name, due to poor leadership, diplomacy, and other misfortune. Marrying into the powerful House Schlett and inheriting their lands, House Siegaesc fought a brutal war against many of the other houses in the East and has now established themselves as one of the strongest houses in the Kingdom.

Religion: The Siegaesc family for the most part holds high regard for Eodris, due to their long standing military tradition. Wiglaf and Aethelred in particular pray to Eodris, and hold in observence to him, though Aethelred is not particularly pious. For the common folk of the Haederic Valley, Breln is the key God due to their dependence on agriculture, and the Siegaesc family will present gifts at his harvest festivals. Aside from Breln, there is a local goddess of the Haederic Valley, Faryia. She is the goddess of the autumn, of suffering for rebirth, and is one of the other deities House Siegaesc, Unferth in particular, patronize.

___

Note: Added two little guys to my familia.
______

Map:
Spoiler :

Color Code:

Purple: Thornhill
Orange: Hart Hall
Red: Sieghelm
Yellow: Stockwick
Black: Murder&#8217;s Roost
Dark Grey: Greyport and the Western Gate

Dark Red Borders: House Hyerfern
Dark Red:
Pink: Galthrop

Brown Borders: House Lien
Green: Fairhaven
Brown: Oakhearth

House Hartwell [Shadowbound]
Sigil / Words:
Spoiler :

Pay in Kind

Lord: Leofric Hartwell, Male, 45
Spoiler :

Heir: Cerdic Hartwell, Male, 14

Family:
Spoiler :
Mildred Hartwell Old Matriarch (55) Arrogant (-1), Dignified (+3), Amoral (0), Clever (+2) +4

An institution. The second-wife of the late lord, she has guided the men of his house since then, and earning respect along the way.

Leofric Hartwell Middle-aged Lord (45), Homosexual (-1), Heroic (+4), Pious (0), Diligent (+1) Hardy (+2) Temperamental (-1) +5

Considered a bully and braggart in his youth, he has shown that he is more than capable of backing up those threats. Where he goes in battle, men follow, and struggle to keep up. His personal devotion to a God drives him like nothing else. He was raised as a middle child, and desired to become a member of the priesthood until his brother's dead, after which he became the designated heir. He's spent the past decade as the strongest figure at court, butting heads with the Greyhound.

Ella Hartwell Daughter (17), Attractive (+2), Wise (+2), Dishonest (-1) +3

Her grandmother born again, beautiful, wise, and well aware of how she can use this to manipulate those around her.

Cerdic Hartwell Son (14, Tempermental (-1), Cruel (-2), Hardy (+2) Proactive (0) -1

Brash, angry, decisive, cruel. Cerdic has the makings of a great knight, but not a good one.

Alfred &#8220;the Younger&#8221; Hartwell Son (11), Smart (+2) +2

Smart enough to keep his head down. Awkwardly named for his uncle in a period where he was considered dead.

Alfred &#8220;the Elder&#8221; Hartwell Brother (34) Cowardly (-2), Friendly (+1), Lucky (+1), Moral (+0,) Master Swordsman (+3) +3

Found a way out of his brother&#8217;s shadow, an agent of the crown for years. Fell in love with a minor noblewoman, yet young, and settled down.

Edith Hartwell Wife (22) Loyal (+2), Obsessed (-2), Lucky (+1) +1

Matured into a beauty, because god damn it he is lucky. And she is devoted to him in turn.

Godiva Hartwell Daughter (6) Friendly (+1) +1

Everyone ing loves her. It&#8217;s actually kind of disgusting.

Retainers:
Spoiler :
House Belwerd &#8211; House Belwerd&#8217;s main holding is the Belltower, overlooking the southern river and serving as a key toll-booth for riverine trade. Recent rules enacted have curbed the tolls they can take from trade, and though these predate the Greyhound, they blame him and his Athsarin. The current Fyr, Ermyn, is married to Princess Cyneleth.

House Granshield &#8211; A cadet house of the Hartwells, splitting two generations ago, the Granshields hold coastal territories on the Western Isle. They are mostly known for their attempts to convert the Fennacht to a civilized faith. The current Halder Granshield, Marlon, sees in his lands the foundation of a strong powerbase for his children if properly tamed, and intends to marry his son into the Fennacht "nobility".

House Lonnel &#8211; Main landholders under Hartwell on the Western Isle, the Lonnels are prickly and incredibly defensive about their heritage. Their nominal holdings on the main island were long ago abandoned to a cadet house in favor of their new territories, won by adventurer-lords. As marcher lords they revel in their privileges, and are abusive liegelords and dependent on the threat of Hartwell support to stop a Fennacht uprising, despite their great personal martial heritage. The current Halder, Aedelric, and his twin, Aedelred, are both great knights in war and terrible knights in peace.

House Wycce - Ancient vassals of the Hartwells the Wycces hold the Wychwall, which is not at all an ominous name. They've done so for hundreds of years, after all. Rumors that they've become a den of black magic are also baseless. Fyrhelm Oswald is loved by the smallfolk for his charity.

Allies/Rivals:
Spoiler :
The Hartwells retain strong ties to the Elmings, particularly the party of Cyneleth through the marriage of their bannerman Ermyn. Their holdings on the Western Isle leave them frequently butting heads with the Dugallach Ymherador. They see the g&#8217;Aurenes as upstarts at court, threatening the long-term health of the kingdom through their unsavory wealth.

Sources of Income:
Spoiler :
The bulk of the Hartwells&#8217; income comes from agriculture in their extremely fertile river territories, outweighing the contribution from their northern holdings. The port of Hardrada, along the northern coast, serves as an important port for ships braving the straits, and brings in much of the mineral wealth of the Western Isle. Their mineral interests there are also a substantial source of income, though undeveloped due to a tradition of neglect and absentee landholders.

Holdings:
Spoiler :

The Hartwell lands along the Tammer are known as the Granmark.

The main Hartwell castle is Castle Crag, carved out of the rock of the mountains by the Athsarin centuries ago. They knew it as the Tower of the Sunset, and it was built to deter Fennacht raids on the Tammer. It was given to the Hartwells by Elming, and only once in its history, by the dragon Ducimidrath, has it ever been breached.

Wedmore, at the river bend and within distant sight of Castle Crag, is the largest town in the Granmark. Their northern coast is, get this: the Stony Coast.

Cedsford is a community in the Granmark known for its many temples to the gods, and is a site of pilgrimmage for many of the mysteries.

Eallhaven is the chief port of the Western Isle, and holding of the Granshields.

The Belltower is the holding of the Belwerds. It has a bell in it.

North of the Granmark, along the northern coast, is Hardrada.

Wychwall guards the western mountain pass. It's very creepy.

History:
Spoiler :
The Hartwells, like many houses, can trace their descent back to the original Grayling settlers. They commanded twelve ships in the exodus, and were rewarded with good territory to build their town, guarding the approaches to the main Elming lands. Since then they have remained strong supporters of the main royal line, seeing them gain great prestige and new, if less desirable, lands to the north and on the western isle.

The Hartwells, in the early days of the kingdom, were known as would-be dragonslayers. Four generations of Hartwell men hunted the Last Dragon of the Isles, Ducimidrath, across the northern moors, in revenge for an early attack on their castle. They carry the image of the dragon as their heraldry, to remind friends and enemies of their long memories. A popular joke is that Aelle Hartwell killed Ducimidrath by choking him after being eaten: even the Hartwells enjoy that version of the story.

Now, they are mostly known as the chief bannermen of the Elmings. Decades ago, Godrun Hartwell, the heir to the Hartwells, fought in Deor's party during his attempt to seize the throne. He died in the aftermath, bringing shame on the house. Since then, Leofric Hartwell has worked to rebuild its reputation and in the absence of male heirs to the king, become a key figure at court, and chief war captain of the Elmings against Fennacht and rebellious lords. His efforts have seen the house&#8217;s territory on the Western Isle swell considerably.

House Illen (North King)
Sigil / Words: A pauper on a white and green field (colors white and green, usually with thick vertical stripes). No house motto, that stuff is for southern lameos.
Lord: Creigh Illen (M, 28)
Heir: Meir Illen (M, 3) (Would-be Regent: Cerestyf Illen, M, 26)
Family:
Spoiler :
The Illen Family

Lord Creigh Illen (M, 28) - Head of House
A relatively young head of the Illen household, Creigh came to hold sway over their lands after the death of his father Orwet, though even at 25, he was still deeply influenced by his mother. With a just and even hand, Creigh has been a lord well liked -- if not quite beloved -- by his people. But his pliability is evident in his personal life; with his wife Lea passing in childbirth, he is caught between two women he loves deeply, and what elsewhere would be a simple domestic drama has far deeper political implications.
Hardy (+2)
Skilled (+1) Tactician
Skilled (+1) Swordsman

Meir Illen (M, 3) - Son by Dead Wife
Too young to be particularly interesting, Meir has the unfortunate effect of reminding many of his family of his dead mother.

Lady Halda Tynn (F, 28) - Love Interest
Halda was a childhood love of Creigh; as young boy and girl, they were absolutely inseparable, and reaching the age of puberty, they began to take an interest in each other in far more intense ways. But an incredible string of events connived to separate them, one that can scarcely be believed. Halda vanished late one night from the grounds of the castle, supposedly within the sound of the waves. When she didn’t turn up for a month, many presumed her dead, but the more superstitious of the locals insisted that she had been abducted by the merpeople of the nearby sea. Over ten years later, she emerged into the light again, by now looking quite different, but most definitely still herself -- she knew things about Creigh no one else could, bore her ring, and so on. But many whispered that she had come back wrong; while she began to court Creigh once more, it quickly became evident that something was not quite right with her head.
Smart (+2)
Attractive (+2)
Friendly (+1)
Literary (+1)
Obsessed (-2)
Crazed (-3)

Lady Klare Ceir (F, 27) - Love Interest
Klare, in contrast, never met Creigh before his wife Lea’s death. But she appeared in the exact hour of his need, and offered him some comfort, though only the foolish dare claim to know how. She and her house are a family of climbers, and she has been pursuing Creigh quite… aggressively, a plan which has met with something of a hitch with the reappearance of Halda. While the two have continued separate courtships without overt interference from one another, the castle has become a veritable snakepit of politics between factions supporting either one, and Klare is rather better at negotiating this sort of environment than Halda. She lacks the naive charm of her antagonist, perhaps, but many suspect that Creigh is less attracted to naivete than most men.
Smart (+2)
Attractive (+2)
Amoral (+0)
Proactive (+0)
Arrogant (-1)

Lady Masandrelle Illen (F, 53) - Mother
Decades ago, Masandrelle was already infamous in noble circles of the northern kingdom; she had taken quickly to the art of seduction, true, but it was the exact nature of that seduction which made the gossip flutter about her like a clutch of startled moths -- though never in her hearing. While she was largely restricted in her… activities… by her marriage, she still managed to retain something of her aura, and when Orwet died, all bets were off. Given her influence on her son, she would already be an attractive target, but she needs little help in this regard. More than a few men have been spotted in her company, though they have naturally said nothing of what transpired.
Attractive (+2)
Skilled (+1) - Seduction
Depraved (-1)
Cruel (-2)

Lord Cerestyf Illen (M, 26) - Brother
The brother of Lord Illen, Cerestyf is something of a dull soul, though everyone who knows him would say it is a blessing to be around him. He is always kind, thoughtful, and utterly boring. His seat is a minor barony some miles from the main Castle Gyll.
Kind (+2)
Patient (+0)

Lady Gwenyth Illen nee Veres (F, 24) - Sister-in-law, from a minor house
And indeed, the boring brother was consigned to the boring betrothal -- Gwenyth was nothing that a young man would dream of, but was dutiful, bearable, and shored up a critical alliance in the northern isles. She is largely content with knitting and creating decorative arrangements of flowers or fruit salads.
Wise (+2)
Idealist (+0)

Chellar Illen (M, 1)
What is there to say about a one year old? This one seems quite precocious; he only vomits up half of every meal.

Lady Elynor Ulf nee Illen (F, 27) - Sister
Elynor was always something of a black sheep in the family, but where other houses might have coddled or grudgingly loved the black sheep, Elynor was pushed to the side. She was quite a bit smarter than her siblings, and she never felt quite at home in her own skin, barely interacting with the other children at play, and becoming desperately uncomfortable with the increasingly adult games they played as they aged. Her sharp analytical mind seemed to hit a brick wall over and over, until she turned to alcohol to solve her problems. It didn’t -- it simply added a new one. But when Orwet and Lea died in quick succession, it was Elynor of all people who comforted Creigh, and the two have been close since then.
Brilliant (+5)
Distant (-1)
Homosexual (-1)
Addicted (-3)

Crown Prince Storrow Ulf (M, 29) - Brother-in-law
Elynor’s marriage to Storrow was not particularly surprising, all things told -- the Illen family had been one of the closest supporters of the Ulfs for the last half-century, and the match only made official what had already been a rock-solid alliance in practice. Storrow has an iron sense of justice, and is judged by many to be a promising, if personally unpleasant, successor to the king.
Trained (+2) Swordsman
Attractive (+2)
Just (+1)
Temperamental (-1)

Princess Carina Ulf (F, 9) - Daughter-in-law
Carina is the eldest daughter of Elynor and Storrow, and by all accounts a bright and impressive young child, precocious in a number of things -- one of which, of course, was her love of riding, which ended up mangling one of her legs and rendering it almost useless. She can still walk, but it is a painful thing for her, and one can only hope life is kinder to her from here on out.
Smart (+2)
Lamed (-2?)

Prince Karl Ulf (M, 5) - Son-in-law
Princess Shayla Ulf (F, 5) - Daughter-in-law
Karl and Shayla are twins, of course, and one can scarcely tell them apart at this young age. They are happy to play with one another and their younger sister Talda, but have yet to make any real impact on the family. For obvious reasons.

Princess Talda Ulf (F, 2) - Daughter-in-law
A less precocious child than her cousin, Talda vomits up nearly all of her meals. Aside from this, she’s quite adept with her stuffed animals.

Lady Katrina Illen (F, 19) - Sister, unwed
Katrina has always been a bit of a cheeky child, probably the wittiest of the Illen children, and easily the most creative, dabbling in music and especially poetry. But her skills never fully blossomed, and she fell back on her privileged upbringing to avoid doing anything useful with them; her main talent in life is most likely that which she nurtured by long years of absentmindedly stealing things that got within arm’s reach.
Attractive (+2)
Skilled (+1) Thief
Literary (+1)
Lazy (-2)
Retainers (I'll give them person names later):
House Chuffrey (Questionably loyal, large infantry levy, medium cavalry levy, good lands between the Ellfort and Barrich)
House Less (Irritable but fiercely loyal, small infantry levy, insignificant cavalry numbers, poor lands at the southern tip of the island)
House Cullech (Rebellious, small infantry levy, surprising number of cavalry, small but wealthy tract between the Ellfort and Castle Gyll)
House Fealdere (Loyal, significant infantry levy, little to no cavalry, mediocre lands in a crescent around Halfmeadow Keep)
Allies/Rivals: Marriage ties with the royal house Ulf. Traditional rivalry with House Dennet in the northwest of the island; both of them are old allies of the royal house, but Illen has been on the relative upswing, owing to the recent marriage. Mixed relations with the other houses, who tend to take sides between either Dennet or Illen when push comes to shove, but dislike both of them if not forced to choose, and side more or less exclusively with the royal house.
Sources of Income: Farming, mining, forestry, fishing, and herding, in order of importance. Second to only the royal house in the northern kingdom, on par with even the greatest of the southern houses.
Holdings:
Castle Gyll is the largest of the Illen holdfasts, and one of the largest castles on the northern island. Seven large towers ring its outer wall, while an inner bailey almost resembles a small town.
Orwyn's Keep is an odd castle, built on the ruins of an old hillfort. Deep underneath the keep are numerous hidden passages, with barrows and secrets of perhaps occult nature.
The Heatherlight is a small but quite stout keep, most known for its namesake lighthouse at a particularly dangerous head of land.
The Ellfort is an old keep that belonged to a former retainer of the Illens whose male line died out; as a result the Illens took over management of the keep. Traditionally it has been given to the second son of the line -- and as such is the seat of Cerestyf today.
Halfmeadow Keep is a remarkable achievement in building, standing half in a meadow (whence the name), and half in a [quite small] oxbow lake. The arched balconies facing the lakeside are quite remarkable, and it is judged to be perhaps the most beautiful of the northern castles.
Barrich is a young and growing town, founded after the discovery of copper (and trace silver) deposits in the nearby hills. It is nearly four thousand souls, all told.
Numerous minor villages dot the land, but as peasants are not the focus of the NES nor the characters in question, we won't trouble ourselves with their undoubtedly interesting and colorful locales.
Spoiler :

History:
Spoiler :
yeah I'll get to this later, probably when not on hotel internet

Sorry for not getting my template done on time. I have been extremely busy and distracted with some personal issues as well as lots of work. If you'll grant me an extension of a few days (barring any problems with internet connections) I would appreciate that. If not, I understand. Again, in a few months I should be safely active, and should be active for the next couple of weeks before I run out of pre-paid internet (my debit card is expired and I am unable to purchase more time, so my internet usage will be spotty for a little while while I try to sneak time in at work).

Top Bottom