While We Wait: Nice Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Goes to check the old forum*

*Looks at this*

*Looks at WWW*

*Goes back into exile*

For God's sake, you people... :(

what exactly is the big deal? People have disagreements over things? People say mean things to each other?

I remember a decade ago on this forum, no one had arguments because there was no one here. It wasn't a golden age, it was a boring age.

I respect you das but when this is your only post for 6 months it just pisses me off.

this thread is ridiculous too, stop acting like your parents are fighting and you're awkwardly trying to get them to change the subject. It's a bigger overdramatization than anything Thy or Symph have posted. Just ignore the participants or bring in the mods if you think it's getting too heated.

It's a combination of people having ridiculously inane, petty arguments in juxtaposition with there being fewer and fewer active games. At least as far as I could see. It really sours me on the idea of coming back here, if this is just the Politics Sub-Forum now.

That and maybe I just forgot how bad those people get and need to restore my immunity.

You haven't been in OT anytime recently, have you?

To be honest, this thread was my act of protest against the negative, self-defeating, unresolvable malaise I perceive to be hovering over WWW. I was expecting it to get shut down pretty quickly, but I forget that we are largely self-moderating right now. Oops.

Azale, I can remember back to 2005/2006. I've noticed a difference in line with what das said. It could be to do with us all aging, perhaps.

But let's take that conversation to the real WWW and leave this one for kitten pictures.

Nice to see you, das! :salute:

So, does anyone here follow/know of Glorantha? The Guide to Glorantha came out not too long ago and it is seriously awesome, though expensive. The setting in general is really something everyone who cares about world-building should look into. It's fantasy, but fantasy with a crucial anthropological bent that seems like it should have a lot of things of local interest, even for people who don't care for elves and magic much.

(And the elves in Glorantha are Planet-ish plant people anyway, which isn't exactly overdone.)

Das - Greg Stafford is a self-indulgent idiot, the people at A# Games haven't proven themselves much better, and I refuse to patronize a company that holds key worldbuilding features over the players' heads, saying "Look how much smarter we are than you."

Also, seriously, ducks?

The ducks make it or break it for a lot of people. Personally I think they're hilarious, though I heard people in Britain generally prefer the baboons.

The God-Learners are the best thing about that setting.

The God-Learners are the best thing about that setting.

+100.

Which is why it pisses me off so much that Mr. Stafford and his company keep holding the God-Learners' Secret above the players' heads; it's not about letting GMs decide, it's about having something that nobody else has, and it's childish.

They get a bad rap, but we really owe them a lot when it comes to having any general mainframe whatsoever for understanding the setting.

Plus I feel their basic approach was right, they just got too cocky and made some dumb mistakes.

Meanwhile, ducks:

EDIT: I was a bit annoyed myself that the Secret wasn't anywhere in the Guide, despite their promise. But I really don't see why any given GM can't just make it up himself? Your Glorantha May Will Vary and all.

EDIT: I was a bit annoyed myself that the Secret wasn't anywhere in the Guide, despite their promise. But I really don't see why any given GM can't just make it up himself? Your Glorantha May Will Vary and all.

Because what the secret is changes drastically how we, as players and GMs in the setting, should interpret the world. The fact that the Powers That Be attempted to eradicate the secret root and branch means that it's critically important to understanding motivations and the world; without it, the setting can only be interpreted by the priest-writers of the setting.

I'd be happy with "These are the possibilities that make for interesting plot hooks, you as GM pick one" -- a lot of settings do that, and it gives the GM and the players more, rather than less, control over how they want to tell their stories.

The secret is that Glorantha is actually an rpg, and the God-Learners discovered this and decided to be munchkins instead of being nice little roleplayers.

To be honest, I never had much problem interpreting it for myself, mostly because I never really concerned myself with the Secret. It's gone. Whatever it was was very important for the Second Age, but the Third Age works just fine without ever turning to that. The God Learners were long ago, mysterious and evil - they are gone now. Some of their dangerous secrets are still around. Others are gone and probably irretrievable. I think this gap in knowledge suits the way they "appear" in-setting, in a way.

Not that I'd say no to that essay they promised, or multiple choices, or anything like that... I think I'll try and ask them.

EDIT: (Yeah, "It Is A Game" was one of the joke answers. Or was it...)

It's a combination of people having ridiculously inane, petty arguments in juxtaposition with there being fewer and fewer active games. At least as far as I could see. It really sours me on the idea of coming back here, if this is just the Politics Sub-Forum now.

That and maybe I just forgot how bad those people get and need to restore my immunity.

It has always been that way. You've just ignored us. :p

You used to have more active games to distract me from it. :p

But seriously, where did they all go? I could've sworn there was a lot more just a couple of months ago. Is it just a summer drought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom