N3S I: Empires Ablaze

North King

blech
N3S I: Empires Ablaze

Welcome to my latest NES, N3S I: Empires Ablaze.

You may wish to skip this long introduction, it’s mostly saying why I made this NES the way I did, why the title is odd, and so on; if you are not in the mood to read it, please skim down to rules. New NESers will find this section useful, and old NESers will find substantial changes.

This NES will be partially IT-BT, see the Playing section for specifics on what I mean by “partially”.

Spoiler introduction :
After the regrettable death of my last NES, which I believe I could have kept open if it weren’t for my rather overwhelming obligations (school and otherwise) during that time period, I decided to move on. This is a move which will doubtless anger many of you who wished to see my last NES continued, but my gut feeling usually tells me that continuations will not work, are not as popular, and are bad for moderator health. Let the dead rest.

After a two week break from NESing, which I believe probably greatly furthered both my spiritual health and my math grades, I delved back into the NESing world when I heard that Cuivienen was reopening her old NES; I rejoined as my old nation with haste, so that I could conquer the world again. Well, this got me to looking around the NESing forums again, which, I must say, have changed little, but for a few people who I’ve had barely any interaction with opening up new NESes. Well, perhaps they will go on to do great things, but I’m limiting myself to joining only the NESes that interest me, and right now that would boil down to Cuiv’s and das’, and it’s always a pain to try and find an open great power in das’. Hence, I feel as though the time is right to start an NES.

As I passed the magic number X in my NESes, and then when I looked back on things and saw that I properly should have called that number XII, I decided to forgo making XIII, even though I happen to like that number, and start anew.

Hence, this NES is the start of a new series of NESes, N3S. This is shorthand for NNNES, which I figured was rather unwieldy in a title, which stands for “New North king Never Ending Story”.

As the start of a new era in my NES moderating career, I decided to make this NES a fresh start. This means we start with a blank world map, you create nations from scratch, and we create our own history. It’s always been my most successful NES type, and the one I always wanted to see through to success.

I warn you now, there will be times which will try your patience. There are several hiatuses that I am at this moment in time planning around in terms of updates. And next school year will truly be a trial.

And naturally, real life takes higher priority to NESing, always. This goes for both moderator or player. There have been points where I have ended NESes abruptly against my own wishes due to various RL problems; in this NES, I will try to hiatus the NES instead of closing it. I expect you’ll have RL problems of your own, so I will sympathize with you as long as you sympathize with me.

So, having finally draw to conclusion the longest introduction for an NES I’ve ever written, now begins N3S I: Empires Ablaze. I trust you will surprise me with the creativity of your nations and threats of what will happen should I close this.

RULES

Read these before joining, please.

Playing

Playing this NES is much like any NES.

Thus, I refer you here for the basic concepts.

Some special rules of mine:

Orders should be limited to a maximum of 2 private messages. That’s IIRC 20,000 characters, which is about 5,000 average words. Enough for a bloody short story, I think you can survive on that limit.

Note that I will give bonuses to nations whose leaders write stories. Stories are, after all, in the title, and I love it when people actually describe their nation instead of sending me drab orders all the time.

It’s a very flexible game, make the most of it. Read the rest of these rules, and ask me if you still have questions.

As a last note, this NES will be semi-IT-BT. This means I will be using das’ system, to a point...

Das defined IT-BT as:

“Interesting Times (IT)

This is, basically, the same as what happens in most NESes. You know, the usual thing with updates, orders, etc. The main difference from your average fresh start is that turns will take more like 20-15 turns, or eventually even less. Oh, and it only goes on for a certain amount of turns - either until the loss of interest, either until the end of all major wars if the IT was on for over five turns.

Boring Times (BT)

In between of the ITs, there are the BTs. While ITs are the shorter, yet more interesting and exciting periods of history, the BTs are the (probably) longer periods of quiet growth and expansion, slow progress and (mostly) minor wars. Unlike with IT, you don't have any direct control over what happens to your country during that time. HOWEVER, a) its development will be based to some degree on what happened in the last IT and b) you could leave something of a development plan, parts of which might be followed, at least in the beginning. Oh, and some nasty things could happen to some of your countries during the BT - know that it will only happen if I think there are good reasons for it. But if after a BT you decide that you are completely disillusioned with your nation/the way it developped, you probably should try and find another nation for yourself.”

However, I will not be using this definition. The main difference between his definition and my definition is that I shall not be defining an IT and a BT by conflicts. Rebuilding from a conflict, or simply building, can be equally fun. With this in mind,

IT (“Interesting Times”): A mode of the game which takes place in a much shorter timeframe, with turns lasting as little as 1 year, though early in game they will most likely be more like 10-20 years in duration. Otherwise, this is a normal NES, where you send in orders to the mod, and stories are written, updates are posted by me, etc. What you expect from an NES, in other words. An IT lasts for a period of turns defined as the end of a time period, or shall we say, a definite conclusion to that period’s story. Eg it could be the annihilation of a nation utterly at the end of an armed conflict. Or it could be the extinguishing of an ideology. Or the settling down after a cultural revolution, etc. Usually it will be done with player approval.

BT (“Boring Times”): A mode of the game which takes place over a much longer timeframe. Turns can last hundreds of years long, or fractions of a hundred. The length is up to the moderator. The primary difference from das here is that a “Boring Time” will not be a single long chunk of time, but simply a much less structured, more general update, that covers larger sections of history that have fewer conflicts (be they cultural or military) to resolve. There will be turns, but your orders should be more on the order (pun, haha) of guiding your nation in a general direction. Instead of a specific war strategy, just give a direction to act aggressively towards so and so. Instead of saying exactly how you want to spend your money, just say what areas you want to focus on improving.

So, to recap, IT is like a normal NES, with much smaller time passing every turn, a BT will be like a traditional story NES, just much more general and vague than normal. Orders in an IT should be rather specific and direct orders on what you want your nation to be doing, including spending and military recruitment. BT orders are like general guidelines; you can say where you want your finances to go in general, or to focus on military recruiting, etc, but not specific things like “3 points into UU” or what have you.

Some exemplary orders can be found here.

Economy

Economy is a very vague term; it roughly corresponds to Gross Domestic Product. That is to say, it’s the overall ability of your nation to purchase or produce something. I’m aware that money and production are very different entities, this was one thing I’ve been struggling with. After much internal debate, I decided that they will remain as the traditional one stat, in order to simplify and streamline.

Economy will be represented by a number of points that you are allowed to spend on any number of things. Primarily these points will be invested into things like your military, your education, infrastructure, and quality of life; these stats are explained below.

The number of points you receive to spend depend on how rich your nation is and how productive it is; I imagine this is self explanatory. Money earned from trade, mining, manufacturing, just about anything is counted under this. To increase it, simply try to increase your economic prowess, perhaps by opening up a new activity, encouraging an increase in an old activity, or increasing the efficiency at which you perform an activity. For example, a switch to better farming techniques, or drilling for oil in a certain protected location. Note of course that it’s not always good for your environment to increase your economy.

**********​

Size

Size represents your nation/faction’s population and area. A frustrating stat in that it represents two things, but I think it will work well enough.

The size stat is a single number. It will give bonuses and handicaps. For stats like Education, Infrastructure, and Quality of Life, a larger state will have more trouble in maintaining a large level of these. Larger states will have more trouble in this regard.

However, size isn’t always a handicap: size will give you a bonus in the military field, to represent the sheer size of your military. I will determine how much of a bonus it gives depending on your technological level.

Military

Military is raised mostly through the spending of economy points to recruit, train, and arm new soldiers. This is a raw number, the amount of standing soldiers you have at your disposal in times of war. What it doesn’t take into account is how many troops you can raise on the fly; levies and conscripts called up for a single war. You can ask me in your orders to raise conscripts or levies in times of desperation, it might happen on its own, though.

In any case, military is really two things. There’s the number of soldiers you have, and then there’s how good they are. The second stat is more of a level type thing, and it represents both how experienced they are, and how trained they are. It will rise naturally through battles being fought, but you can invest eco points into it, raising it as well. By the same token, recruiting a large number of new, raw recruits can crash it just as easily.

The problem is that the more soldiers you have, the harder it is to raise training. After the training stat, it will show how many eco points you must invest to reach the new level.

The more soldiers you have, the more it will cost to maintain your army. The cost for upkeep is listed after the military stat. This will automatically be deducted from the amount of eco points you earn, thus, with an income of 3 and an upkeep of 2, you really have 1 spare point to spend.

You may establish unique units, that is, military units who are very different from normal ones, in their quality, function, what have you. Please keep these to a sensible minimum. Describe what they do in your orders, and they will be added to your military, after which you can recruit and train them like normal military.

Note that use of strategy is highly recommended in case of war; while your generals will employ basic strategies, they are not usually particularly bright.

Education

Education is a leveled stat, that is to say, it is measured in levels. Simple enough, really, the better the level of education you have, the better your people’s education is. To increase it, you have to invest a certain number of eco points, depending on how big you are (see size). Invest 1 eco point if you are size 1 to get to the next level of education, 2 if you are size 2, etc...

The problem is, if you get an education of a decent amount, at some point, it will cost money to maintain. How much money is determined by a super secret formula known only to me. Just know that, the more educated your people are, the more it will cost to keep them that way.

If you choose to undercut education funding, your education level will drop by one level a turn until it reaches a level where your funding matches the required maintenance funding. Thus, you can cut education in a very desperate war, but your people will become the stupider for it. Beware.

Infrastructure

Infrastructure is a leveled stat, that is to say, it is measured in levels. Simple enough, really, the better the level of infrastructure you have, the better your people’s access to decent roads, healthcare, and so on, is. To increase it, you have to invest a certain number of eco points, depending on how big you are (see size). Invest 1 eco point if you are size 1 to get to the next level of infrastructure, 2 if you are size 2, etc...

The problem is, if you get an infrastructure of a decent amount, at some point, it will cost money to maintain. How much money is determined by a super secret formula known only to me. Just know that, the better your infrastructure is, the more it will cost to keep them that way.

If you choose to undercut infrastructure funding, your infrastructure level will drop by one level a turn until it reaches a level where your funding matches the required maintenance funding. Thus, you can cut infrastructure in a very desperate war, but your people, and army, will have to drive over increasingly shoddy roads, and use increasingly worse hospitals, and so on. Beware.

Quality of Life

Quality of Life is a leveled stat, that is to say, it is measured in levels. Simple enough, really, the better the Quality of Life level you have, the better your people’s quality of life is. To increase it, you have to invest a certain number of eco points, depending on how big you are (see size). Invest 1 eco point if you are size 1 to get to the next level of Quality of Life, 2 if you are size 2, etc...

The problem is, if you get a Quality of Life of a decent amount, at some point, it will cost money to maintain. How much money is determined by a super secret formula known only to me. Just know that, the more well fed and clothed your people are, the more it will cost to keep them that way.

If you choose to undercut Quality of Life funding, your Quality of Life level will drop by one level a turn until it reaches a level where your funding matches the required maintenance funding. Thus, you can cut Quality of Life in a very desperate war, but your people will be the worse for it. Beware.

**********​

Technology

Technology level represents how advanced your people are. E.g. the Bronze Age, or the Industrial Age. I trust in your intelligence.

It increases automatically, usually through a good education. The smarter your people are, really, the more accepting of innovation they will be. Quite simple.

If you want to make a specific advance, then you can invest eco points into getting it in your orders. Like you want the latest rifle? Then invest a point into it, and you may well get it.

Government

Government is, well, the type of ruling system you have. I believe you know what this is about.

If you have a democratic government system, the elected body, be it Congress, or Parliament, may well decide that what you’re doing is evil, and try to veto it. I’ll try to inform you ahead of time if this is happening. Your options are to change it to what they want, stage a coup, or find a creative solution of your own.

Religion

I trust we all know what religion is? Let’s just say, you can motivate your people to support a war with it, and it can oppose a war all on its own. Quite powerful, in the hands of the skilled.

Culture

Unlike other NESes to date, which have your culture described as a level (which I found silly), I shall describe it. The main characteristics that will be described are wether it has a strong influence on its neighbors or vice versa, and what culture group it belongs to. These are categories decided by the mod.

Classified data.

LEVELS:

Size 1: Terrible (0), Awful (0), Bad (0), Poor (1), Average(1), Decent(2), Good(2), Excellent (2), Fantastic (3)

Size 2: Terrible (0), Awful (0), Bad (0), Poor (1), Average(2), Decent(2), Good(3), Excellent (3), Fantastic (4)

Size 3: Terrible (0), Awful (0), Bad (1), Poor (1), Average(2), Decent(2), Good(3), Excellent (3), Fantastic (4)

Size 4: Terrible (0), Awful (1), Bad (1), Poor (2), Average(2), Decent(3), Good(3), Excellent (4), Fantastic (4)

Size 5: Terrible (0), Awful (1), Bad (1), Poor (2), Average(3), Decent(3), Good(4), Excellent (4), Fantastic (5)

**********​

Projects

Tell me something you want to get done, and I’ll tell you how long they will take to get done. Pretty simple.

These can be anything from building the Suez Canal to increasing the military efficiency of your nation. They are simply things you want your nation to accomplish. Quite nicely, they do not require eco points, rather less nicely, they cannot be hurried with eco points, either. The only thing that hurries a project is a story.

Cities

I will be using the three cities system as developed by... Israelite, and I think Thlayli, but could be wrong.

Economic centers- Cities with a red outline (like capitals, except differing in coloration, and shape for that matter), these provide you with one economy point per turn. They do not give any economy points unless you have occupied them for at least a turn without any changing of hands.

Cultural centers- Cities surrounded by blue, these provide you with one economy point per turn and greater cultural influence. These cities are quite bad to lose. They do not provide an occupier with anything until they are naturalized.

Religions centers- Cities surrounded by green, these cities provide you with one economic point per turn and are the beating hearts of your religions. They provide great bonuses to cultural influence, confidence in the leader, and the spread of your religion, but are devastating to lose. They do not provide an occupier with anything unless they are of the occupier’s religion.

**********​

Nation Template

This is a template with which people who wish to make their nations from scratch (thus creating an entirely new nation) can make their nation. Simply fill out the fields which require filling out, and post it. If your nation is not one that is historical, please also state where you wish to start; if it is a historical nation which you wish to start in a historical area, then I will most likely know where to put it. If in doubt, tell me anyway.

Please no starts outside of the common civilized regions of the world. While I will not actively prevent you from starting as, say, a nation on Svalbard, don’t expect it to amount to much.

[please replace this entire line of text with what you want your nation to be called]
Player: [replace this with your CFC username]
Economy: 1
Size: 1
Military: 1,000 men (Terrible (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Education: Terrible (0)
Infrastructure: Terrible (0)
Quality of Life: Terrible (0)
Technology: (I will fill this out, depending on conditions in your nation)
Government: [put what government type you want here. Please keep this realistic]
Religion: [put what religion you want your leader to follow]
Culture: (I will fill this out. Not you. But you can write stories about it, to tell me what your culture is like.)
Projects: None yet.

**********​

Updates are BT until I say otherwise.

And now it begins. Either my greatest, or my last.

PLAYER NATION STATISTICS
These are nations which are currently under the control of a human, thus, if you are a prospective new player, you cannot take a nation from this list. Instead, NON-PLAYER NATION STATISTICS, below, will be the list you will wish to use.

Assyria
Player: andis-1
Economy: 2 (+2 from economy centers) (+1 point from looting)
Size: 2
Military: 2,000 men, 150 charioteers, 3,000 levies (Poor (2)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 1
Infrastructure: Bad (0)
Quality of Life: Awful (0)
Technology: Early Iron Age
Government: Absolute monarchy
Religion: Zoroastrianism
Culture: Assyria is a Mesopotamian nation with Aramaic roots.
Projects: “All cities lead to Ashur” (+2 Infrastructure, +2 Education, +1 Quality of Life) (2/7)

Berbers
Player: Luckymoose
Technology: TBD
Government: Monarchy
Religion: Berber Polytheism
Culture:

The Cantabri Federation
Player: High King Corocotta the Dark/Dis
Economy: 4 (+2 from Economy Centers)
Military: 1,500 men (Poor (2)), 45 ships (Bad (1)), Upkeep: 0
Education: Awful (0)
Quality of Life: Bad (0) (1 out of 2 points to Poor)
Government: Tribal Federation
Religion: Celtiberian Polytheism, Euskardi Polytheism, Ascenism
Culture: The Cantabri are a Celtic people, though they have been heavily influenced by the expanding Iberian populations. They are a seafaring, individualistic people. Quite a few Southern Iberian immigrants have come into the nation, leading to a cultural renaissance.

Chavin
Player: Emperor Hapulea/~Darkening~
Economy: 2
Military: 500 men, 1,000 Chavin Archers (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Quality of Life: Bad (0)
Technology: Early Copper Age
Government: Divine Monarchy
Religion: Chavian polytheism, Chavin Monotheism
Culture: Chavin is the civilized version of the common Peruvian culture that occurs all along the Andes.

Csilla
Player: Swissempire
Military: 1,000 men (Bad (1)), 10 ships, 5 Chiss Craft (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Education: Bad (0)
Infrastructure: Awful (0)
Government: Despotic Aristocracy
Religion: Ascenism
Culture: The Csilla culture is quite distinct from even other Iberian nations, and has a moderate influence on the surrounding areas, with several surrounding tribes following their religion.

Dacia
Player: Justokre
Military: 1,500 men (Terrible (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Technology: Late Bronze Age
Government: Despotism
Religion: Zalmoxisism (worship of Zalmoxis as the only true god)
Culture: Dacians are a distinct cultural group, but these Dacians, being on the northwest edge of their peoples, are rather Cimmerianized.

Gaul
Player: Gwyddel Volcae / Wubba360
Economy: 2 (+1 from Economy Center)
Military: 3,000 men (Awful (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Technology: Early Age
Government: Divine Tribal Monarchy
Religion: Emmus Worship, Celtic Polytheism
Culture: Gallic culture is very much like that of the rest of the Celts–warlike, free spirited, and individualistic, but this nation in particular is starting to gain the more structured and refined traits of civilization.
Projects: "The Gates of Gaul" (+Cultural influence and general feeling of the people, +1 income) (2/5)

Hellenic League
Player: Grandmaster/Aristides I, the Archon Eponymous of Athenai* and the Council of the Strategoi*
Economy: 4 (-1 point from Occupation of Attica)
Military: 2,000 men, 500 Hypaspistai (Bad (1)), 10 ships (Awful (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Thalassocratic Republic*
Religion: Greek Polythiesm
Culture: A Greek city-state, Athens is particularly highbrow and cultured, while also being very naval and trade oriented.
Projects: Secret Project (3/5)

Helvetia
Player: Finmaster
Military: 2,000 men (Terrible (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Despotic
Religion: Brubelism (to be explained in a story later, some sort of Animism/druidism but not quite)
Culture: Helvetian culture is just emerging as a distinct entity of its own, and as such is not very influential yet.

Kingdom of Illyria (Rhizon)
Player: King Gentius/LittleBoots
Economy: 1 (+1 spend point)
Military: 2,000 men (Terrible (1)), 10 UU (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Tribal Council with a marginally effective King
Religion: God of War (Medauras) worship, with Greek Polytheistic influence/minorities
Culture: Illyrians are somewhat related to the Central Europeans in cultural undertones, but the growing Greek influence is largely changing that.

Makravi
Player: erez87
Economy: 1 (+1 from Economy Center)
Military: 2,000 men, 1,000 Majestic Defenders (Awful (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Steppe Polytheism
Culture: An Iranian nation, Makravi is a very trade oriented culture.
Projects: Silk Road (+1 income, better trade routes with China and, to a lesser extent, India) (3/5)

Minoa
Player: jalapeno_dude
Economy: 4 (+2 from trade centers) (-1 spend point from pirates) (+1 from occupation of Attica)
Military: 2,500 men (Awful (1)), 35 ships (Poor (2)), Upkeep: 1
Government: Divine Monarchy (Queen as divine Goddess, King as her consort)
Religion: Minoan Goddess Worship
Culture: Minoa is a distinct culture unto itself, which is very strong, having influenced several nations around the Mediterranean.
Projects: Second Trade Capital (adds lots of trade through Cyprus, +1 income)

Mohenjo-Daro
Player: Dhiren Avanindra / Conehead234
Economy: 3 (+1 from Economy Center, +1 from Cultural Center)
Military: 4,000 men (Awful (1)), 15 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 1
Religion: Hinduism
Culture: Mohenjo-Daro is much like the other, Dravidian nations around it, though very multi-cultural and civilized.
Projects: Flood Walls: (a system of walls and levees along the Indus River, preventing flooding, controlling the river, and to a minor degree giving protection from less natural enemies), Great Projects of Dhiren Avaninda (+1 Infrastructure, +2 education) (1/6)

The Kingdom of Mons
Player: King Ravi I/Azale
Economy: 2 (+3 from Economy Centers)
Military: 3,500 men (Terrible (1)), 55 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Infrastructure: Poor (1)
Religion: Proto-Hinduism
Culture: Mon Culture is distinct from its surroundings, and has considerable influence on other nations in the area.
Projects: The Great Civilization of the Mon (King Ravi's initiatives that clear swaths of jungle for use, +1 economy, +1 infrastructure) (3/5)

Persia
Player: Emperor Zaraxes / Lord_Iggy
Economy: 4 (+1 from Cultural Center)
Military: 8,000 men (Awful (2)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 1
Culture: Persia has a militaristic culture. It is almost a fusion of Iranian nomads from the north and the Elamites who they inherited the land from.

Scythia
Player: Kal'thzar
Economy: 3
Military: 2,000 men, 300 Scythian Cavalry (Awful (2)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Tribal
Culture: Scythian culture has become the horse riding culture of the steppes, though with some very distinctive traits from your average steppe tribe owing to their Proto-Iranian origins.

Tartessos
Player: King Argthanios / The Farow
Military: 1,500 men, 2,000 Iberian Barbarians (Bad (2)), 10 ships (Awful (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Iberian Polytheism, Ascenism
Culture: Tartessos is an Iberian nation with strong cultural ties to the other nations in the region.

Tong
Player: Most Revered Ao Kuang-wen / Cuivienen
Economy: 3 (+2 from Economy centers, +1 from Cultural center)
Military: 3,000 men (Bad (1)), 30 ships (Bad (1)), Upkeep: 0
Quality of Life: Poor (1)
Government: Gerontocracy
Religion: Ancestor Worship
Culture: The culture of the Tong is a cross between the Han Chinese of the Shang that preceded the present states in the north, and the Yue culture of the region they settled in.
Projects: Dongpo Academy (Education +4) (4/7)

Kingdom of Utica
Player: Jason the King
Military: 500 men (Awful (1)), 20 ships (Awful (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Weak Monarchy supported by a Senate from the City.
Religion: Tophetism
Culture: Utican culture is a mixture of West and East, with Sardinian influences heavily coloring the Phoenician base.

**********​

NON-PLAYER NATION STATISTICS
These are nations which are not currently under the control of a human, thus, if you are a prospective new player, you may take a nation from this list to rule if you wish. Alternatively, you may create your own from scratch, see the nation template in the RULES above.

Albania (Caucasian Albania)
Player: NPC
Military: 500 men (Terrible (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: Albania is a Caucasian nation with heavy Assyrian influences.
Projects:

Anshan
Military: 2,000 men (Terrible (1)), 20 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Kingdom
Religion: Hinduism, Mesopotamian Polytheism
Culture: Anshan is a nation that was formed by Elamites fleeing the Persian invasion (this heritage reflected in the name), and intermarrying with the native Arabs.

Armenia
Military: 1,000 men (Terrible (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: Armenia is a Caucasian nation with heavy Assyrian influences.
Projects:

Balochia
Religion: Zoroastrianism, Hinduism
Culture: The Balochi are, surprisingly, a Balochi state.

Canaan
Military: 6,000 men (Awful (2)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Semetic Polytheism, Phoenician Polytheism, Zoroastrianism, Judaism
Culture: Curiously free of most other nation’s influences, except of course the eternal Egypt.

Catalunya
Military: 2,000 men (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: The Catalans are a Iberian people with Celtic, Sardinian, and Chiss influences.

Chu
Religion: Chinese Ancestor Worship
Culture: Chu is a middle Chinese state, and heavily influenced by the Tong and Zhou.

Egypt
Player: Emperor Arqamani/NPC
Economy: 2 (+1 from Economy Center, +1 from Cultural Center)
Military: 4,000 men (Terrible (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Egyptian Polytheism
Culture: Egyptian culture is supposedly as ancient as the waters of the Nile themselves, and it is very developed and distinct from the rest of the world.
Projects: The Pyramids of Arqamani (+Nubian Culture) (2/3)

Epirus
Military: 2,000 men (Awful (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Hellenic Polytheism
Culture: Epirus is a Doric Greek city state, and rather powerful.

Garamantes
Military: 3,000 men (Terrible (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Berber Polytheism, Tophetism
Culture: The Garamantes are a Berber nation on the edge of civilization.

Gallaecia
Military: 1,000 men (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Celtiberian Polytheism
Culture: The Gallaecii are a Iberian people with Celtic, Sardinian, and Cantabri influences.

Greater Thracia
Military: 6,500 men (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 1
Government: City State
Religion: Hellenic Polytheism, Hittite Polytheism
Culture: Thracia is, as its name implies, Thracian, with influences from their allies the Hittites.

Halicarnassus
Military: 0 men (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Awful (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Helleno-Hittite Polytheism
Culture: These people mostly have, due to the luck of geography, Greek and Hittite cultural overtones.

Harstad
Religion: Norse Polytheism
Culture: Harstad is one of the small, developing kingdoms of the Norse.

Hittites
Economy: 3 (+1 from Economy Center, +1 from Cultural Center) (-1 point from looting)
Military: 2,000 men, 400 Hittite Chariots, 5 Ballistae (Awful (2)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 1
Religion: Hittite Polytheism, Phoenician Polytheism, Zoroastrianism
Culture: A powerful cultural entity, the Hittites are an Anatolian people, much unlike many other nations in the region.
Projects: The Lion Gate (+300 Hittite Chariots, +1 economy point) (2/5)

Jutland
Military: 3,000 men (Terrible (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Germanic Paganism
Culture: Jutland is one of the German tribes that has formed a kingdom, heavily influenced by the Teutons.

Kalinga
Military: 3,000 men (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: This nation is of the Dravidian cultures.

Kingdom of the Killiks
Economy: 1 (+1 from Cultural Center)
Military: 500 men (Bad (1)), 20 ships (Awful (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Hereditary Monarchy
Religion: Animism
Culture: Killik culture is based mostly around their religion, and they have a tendency to culturally assimilate all lands they conquer. Their naval status means that their culture spreads to neighboring nations as well by trade, but it words both ways, as the Chiss have influenced them right back.
Projects: Wuluw (+2 infrastructure, +1 Culture) (3/4)

Kish
Player: Emperor Mashda/NPC
Military: 1,000 men (Awful (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Hereditary Monarchy
Religion: Zoroastrianism, Mesopotamian Polytheism
Culture: Influenced by Sumerian, Assyrian, and Persian cultures, these people are nonetheless proud of their traditions.
Projects: The Ziggurat of Mashda (+cultural influence, +1 economy point) (2/4)

Kura

Lu
Military: 4,500 men (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 1
Culture: Lu is a northern Chinese state, vassal to Zhou.

Macedon
Religion: Hellenic Polytheism
Culture: Macedon is a Doric Greek city state, and rather powerful.

Magadha

Malwa
Culture: This nation is of the Dravidian cultures, and heavily influenced by the Harappans.

Messinia
Military: 3,000 men (Awful (1)), 40 ships (Awful (1)), Upkeep: 1
Religion: Tophetism, Minoan Goddess Worship
Culture: The Messinians are a combination of Greek emigres and Sicilot natives, with a dash of Phoenician refugees added in.

Min Yue
Military: 1,000 men (Terrible (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: Chu is a Yue state, and heavily influenced by the Tong, but retaining their identity nonetheless.

Palas
Culture: This nation is a mixture of the Dravidian and the Mon cultures.

Qin
Military: 4,000 men (Awful (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: Qin is a western Chinese state, vassal to Zhou.

Sardinia
Economy: 3 (+1 from Economy Center)
Military: 1,000 men (Awful (1)), 70 ships (Bad (1)), Upkeep: 1
Education: Poor (1)
Government: Thalassocracy
Religion: Sardine Polytheism
Culture: The Sardinians are a combination of Greek emigres and Sardine natives, with a dash of Phoenician refugees added in.

Sri Ksetra
Military: 6,000 men (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: Sri Ksetra is a Pyu nation, and very much unlike the Mon nations with whom they coexist in Burma.

Kingdom of the Teutons
Military: 4,000 men, 750 Hauskerls (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Elective Monarchy
Religion: Germanic Paganism
Culture: The Teutons have a culture much like that of many of their German neighbors. They are warlike, free, individualistic people.

Umbria
Military: 4,500 men (Awful (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 1
Religion: Italic Polytheism
Culture: The Umbrians are an Italic people: the most civilized of them, and probably the most dangerous, as well.

Ur
Military: 3,000 men (Awful (1)), 20 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Zoroastrianism, Mesopotamian Polytheism, Hinduism
Culture: Influenced by Sumerian, Assyrian, and Persian cultures, these people are nonetheless proud of their traditions.

Västergötland
Military: 4,000 men (Terrible (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Norse Polytheism, Germanic Paganism
Culture: Västergötland is one of the small, developing kingdoms of the Norse.

Vientiane
Religion: Chinese Ancestor Worship, Hinduism
Culture: Vientiane is a Vietnamese state, and heavily influenced by the Tong and the Mons.

Wei
Military: 2,000 men (Awful (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: Wei is a northern Chinese state, vassal to Zhou.

Wu
Military: 3,000 men (Awful (1)), 20 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: Wu is a southern Chinese state, and heavily influenced by the Tong.

Xiongnu
Military: 5,000 men (Poor (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Culture: These areMongol steppe horse nomads.

Yan
Military: 2,000 men (Poor (1)), 10 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Religion: Mix of Chinese and steppe polytheism
Culture: Yan is a mixture of two cultures: the Mongol steppe horse nomads, and the refined delights of the Huang He civilization.
Projects: Iliad, An epic tale/book recounting the life of King Wu and the History of Yan. Designed to help the people remember their roots, and to let others know of our existence. (+1 Education, + Cultural Influence) (3/4)

Zanzibar
Military: 1,000 men (Terrible (1)), 30 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: republic
Religion: Zanzibar polythesism
Culture: Zanzibar is an anomaly of civilization in a region of barbarism. It has cultural contacts with both the Somalis and the Khoisans.

Zhao
Culture: Zhao is a northern Chinese state, vassal to Zhou.

Zhou
Economy: 2 (+1 from Cultural Center)
Military: 6,000 men (Awful (1)), 0 ships (Terrible (1)), Upkeep: 0
Government: Empire
Culture: Zhou is the Zhou Northern Chinese empire. A shocker, I’m sure.

WORLD STATISTICS

Unique Units:

Assyria: Assyrian Charioteers: Basically, they are exceptionally well trained and equiped chariot archers, the elite unit within Assyrian army. 100 per unit.

Athens: Athenian Hypaspistai: The Hypaspistai (or their singular, Hypaspists), are an elite corp of heavy infantry, armed with metal mail or scale cuirasses, shields, and medium length spears. Their secondary armament is a long-sword, adopted from the barbarian tribes of the north. The Hypaspitai also excell in marine warfare, and are used extensively by the Athenian fleet. 500 per unit.

Chavin: Chavin Archers (UU): Basically grouped men drawn from hunters that fire arrows in volleys or into cities to cause casualties. 1,000 per unit

Chiss: Chiss Craft: These are a section of the Chiss navy that are quick, fast raiding and attacking craft. They carry out hits of sorts, coming in, sinking transport ships of men, or stealing a merchant ships cargo, then leaving. 5 per unit.

Hittites: Hittite Chariots: Elite and fearsome, these warriors ride their chariots into battle, throwing spears, raining arrows, and lancing men from their platforms above the battlefield–and some have attached whirling scythes to their wheels to slaughter men to either side of the chariot. 100 per unit.

Makravi: Majestic Defenders: Infantry who use both arrows and swords to defend the capital and key cities. 1,000 per unit.

Kingdom of the Teutons: Hauskerls: an elite corps of professional household warriors which serve as the royal bodyguard. These warriors are the best-armed, best-equipped, best-trained, best-paid, most proficient, and most experienced troops in the Kingdom. Fiercely loyal to the King, and protecting him from enemies within and without. 500 per unit.

Scythia: Scythian Cavalry: Skilled in both Archery and Melee combat, with Shortbow and Sabre in hand. 300 per unit.

ALLIANCES

Assyrian-Armenian “Union”: Assyria, Armenia
Athenian Alliance: Hellenic League, Halicarnassus, Illyria
Csillan Alliance: Csilla, Killiks
Minoan Alliance: Minoa, Greater Thracia, Hittites, Macedon, Egypt
Zhou Hegemony: Zhou, Lu, Yan, Qin, Zhao, Wei

RELIGION

Religions with the most adherents:

1. Chinese Ancestor Worship
2. Hinduism
3. Zoroastrianism
4. Hellenic Polytheism
5. Egyptian Polytheism

TIMELINE

Update 1: A New Beginning ?-1000 BCE

Civilizations form. The most notable as of yet are in China, the Indus Valley, the Irrawaddy Valley, the Golden Crescent, the Aegean, along the Nile, across the “Transsardinian Sea”, in Iberia, and also isolated ones in the Americas and Zanzibar. The Cantabri expand while the rest of Iberia contains an icy standoff. Intense rivalry between Carthage and Utica fuel both their nations’ expansion. The Athenians, Minoans, and Byzantines compete for trade. The Teutons expand and meet the Wends. The Hittites begin their long series of wars by invading the Middle East. Persia and Assyria rise to become the greatest of the Middle Eastern nations. Mohenjo-Daro rises to dominate the Indus Valley, and paralleling it, the Mons dominate the Irrawaddy. Makravi is formed along the East West land routes. The Zhou begin to decline, while the Tong and Yan rise.

Update 2: Crucible of Empires 1000-990 BCE

The Cantabri expand considerably into Gaul. The Killiks, Tartessians, and Chiss embroil themselves in a three way war, though halfway through, the Killiks and the Chiss make common cause against the Tartessians. The Imouhar appear. Utica destroys their Punic neighbors with the legendary Carthaginian Horse. Rome falls to Umbria. The Teutons shatter the Wends, while Harstad rises. Athens is invaded by the Dorians while the Thracians plague western Anatolia. The Hittites overrun the Mitanni and are forced into war with Canaan and Assyria, the latter of which conquers Akkad. The Persians shatter the Elamite tribes and drive many over the “Elamite Gulf”. Makravi is invaded by the Scythians. Mohenjo-Daro unites with Lothal, and spreads Hinduism around the “Indian Sea”. The Mons conquer Dvarvarati. The Tong expand considerably into Vietnam, and attack Taiwan. The Rebellion of the Princelings begins in Zhou; the Yan betray the rebels along with Lu. Zanzibar expands considerably northward.

Update 3: The Spreading Flame 990-980 BCE

The Cantabri forge considerable contacts with the Gauls and Britons. The Chiss fail to retake their homeland, leading to a stalemate as the Killiks fail to attack Tartessos. The Imouhar continue their considerable expansion. Umbria annexes much of Etrusca. Utica connects their lands in Tripoli with the main part of their nation, while Berber attacks continue. The Teutons attack the Saxons, while several other states rise. Athens drives back the Dorians, while Byzantium falls to the Thracians, who found a new state. Minoan involvement is implicated in the Dorian and Thracian invasions, throwing the Aegean into a new war. The Dacians rise. The Hittites ally with the Thracians, making considerable gains, though the Assyrians and the Canaanites attack deep into Hittite territory. Kish conquers Uruk. Egypt is reformed under a Nubian Dynasty. Persia consolidates their considerable empire. The Makravi drive back the Scythian invaders. Mohenjo-Daro begins the Indus war with an invasion of Harappa. The Mons begin sailing southward, attempting to find a route around the Malay Peninsula, while overland trade with the Tong is established. The Tong attacks on Taiwan continue, while Yan and Zhou more or less exterminate the Rebellion of the Zhou Princelings. Qin rises. Zanzibar stagnates, while the Andean tribes begin to coagulate into distinct nations.

Update 4: Crushing Blows 980-970 BCE

With Athens itself fallen, the Minoan Alliance appears triumphant, though the Assyrians are still fighting strongly. Canaan is nearly overrun by Egypt. Scythians drive Cimmerians south, and other Scythians west, causing chaos in the Caucasus and Dacia respectively. Mohenjo-Daro overruns Harappa. The Vanga rebellion begins. Mons conquer Singapore, while the Tong establish many trade routes with the voyages of Kong Nu-rui. The Zhou are triumphant, installing new puppet lords in Wei and Zhao. Tartessos makes massive gains against the Killiks. Cantabri contact Jutland and set up trade. Gaul is invaded by the Allemanii. Chavin expand, and begin to show strain.

Minoa
Player: jalapeno_dude
Government: Divine Monarchy (Queen as divine Goddess, King as her consort)
Religion: Minoan Goddess Worship
Culture: (I will fill this out. Not you. But you can write stories about it, to tell me what your culture is like.)

EDIT: First post!

Please give me a teal color.

@NK: Turn off invisible mode! I kept thinking you had gone offline!

Persia
Player: Lord_Iggy

Darn, I'll never get the first post. :p

Csilla
Player: Swissempire
Government: Despotic Aristocracy

Southern Iberia, Capital on Gibralter...story coming

*shots J_D* take my fist post will you!!!

Egypt
Player:Kentharu
Government: [put what government type you want here. Please keep this realistic]
Religion: [put what religion you want your leader to follow]

Byzantium
Player: alex994/King Hypastion
Technology:
Religion: Greek Polytheism? :confused:
Culture:
Projects:

I'm not China :p

MjM wants Rome. I guess he can have it, unless someone took it while I was posting this.

@alex994- Well, I'm not Antarctica. Why follow stereotypes? :p

@NK- Apparently not. Really looking forward to this, BTW.

I got a PM from MjM. He does want Rome.

OOC: I was just about to sign off for the night...good thing that didn't happen. Or else I would be forced to pick a bad nation and become murderous and genocidal, like in LINESII. :p

egypt pwns :p so i will pwn, and hence i shall be the pwner of all the pwnies which is you, the pwned of the pwned nations that shall forever be pwned by me and my pwnarific army :D

Is my location okay, its red on the Civ Zones map. I love creativity. Traditionality is sooo boring..

Waiting to see if anyone gets my reference, you no, my civ...

Rome
Player: MjM
Religion: Roman Polytheism

Iggy, you're so sweet. ;)

Swissempire said:
Is my location okay, its red on the Civ Zones map. I love creativity. Traditionality is sooo boring..

Waiting to see if anyone gets my reference, you no, my civ...

It's OK. I like original nations. Though don't expect me to pronounce it.

Top Bottom