Building Made Fun!

Well, there must be some secret to getting Building Made Fun working properly with current versions of the Civup part of TBC, as it's not working for me. I've tried using either Civup version 7.2 or 7.2.1, but each time I get to a city production screen, it keeps blocking me from building anything. (And yes, I did put the understroke in front of the separate TBC portion to deactivate that.)

However, I was successfully able to use a real old version of Civup today, called "Unofficial Patch III (v31)", in combination with the current version of Building Made Fun (v9). I also successfully added on Custom Notifications, Capital Railroad Boost, Hover Info, and Attila Mods, as they are not included in this older version of Civup.

Please let me know if anyone else has found an alternate solution.

Thanks.

Pouakai said:
Umm, Moriboe, I won't have to do stuff with the lua will I?
No worries ;) I'll make an inventory of what Lua is in and what it does. None of it is crucial, so you can just throw out stuff if need be. I'll work on the compatibility next, so that it won't bother you either and you can start straight with the fun stuff when ready for it :)

Mentos said:
I made a test with following mods in order of installation/activation if they run together:
Great! Thanks for testing that :) I know NOCSM goes well with BMF as I included it in my scenario. I'll look into this also in the coming week (have no civ access now). Not sure what I'll do with Thal's mods yet. I could take a one-time subsection (including part of TBC) that's compatible, allowing it to be disabled by your underscore method. In any case I will be including some information about compatibility.

Torvald said:
Please let me know if anyone else has found an alternate solution.
I will test this as soon as I can and report back here. Thanks for playing BMF :)

And yes, I did put the understroke in front of the separate TBC portion to deactivate that.
Besides the underscore in TBC folder name, I also made underscores in those file names from Building Made Fun:
Contributions\_TechTree.lua (i think it only fixes tech-pipe connection issues what CiVUP also does)
Contributions\ProcessFood\_ProductionPopup.lua
Contributions\ProcessFood\_ProductionPopup.xml (both disable the Production->Food option for cities, that isn't so mandatory to have. If you don't disable both, city production button will be stuck together with CiVUP)

BMF's ActionIcons.lua will overwrite CiVUP's one. No idea about undesired side effects yet. Yeah, okay, it's only the Wild West method to get both mods running.

@Moriboe
I can tell you from own experience that keeping compatibility to the TBC part can be a full-time job due constant changes there.
The CiVUP part only, on the other hand, is just the core library which is hardly ever changed in a way that could totally mess up something. If you fully merge a version with BMF instead of simply adding compatibility-tweaks, you won't need to update it all the time. It would also save complicated instructions with underscore or whatever. Maybe it’s possible to remove certain folders/files from CiVUP too.

I don’t really want to miss all those UI-mods and would look forward to compatibility with your mod in any way.

ActionIcons.lua can also safely be underscored. It would make the workshop tile improvement icon go blank, but you can still make it out with the tooltip. And because it's the only blank icon.

TechTree.lua is indeed for the pipes and for the -1, -1 location where I moved Trapping (disabled) to. Probably the same file as TBC uses.

And yes, I was thinking of taking a snapshot including CiVUP (or most of it) and maybe some rules changes like the 75% national wonder requirement (as I introduce so many new ones) and no science per pop + half culture from puppets. Will have to see again what exactly is in there.
I haven't actually played TBC yet (and very little other mods for that matter :blush:), I'm curious about the UI stuff I'm currently missing :)

It's pretty nice to see those religious replacements, Mosque, Pagoda, and Step Pyramid, for the Cathedral. It gives each civilization its own flair.
I’ve never assigned multiple civs to one unique object so far. Looks like only the first civ in the list is shown. That's okay.

You could prevent that double Cathedral (in Civilopedia) by making BUILDING_CATHEDRAL default and only assign overrides with Artstyle_Middle_East, *_Asian, and *_South_America. It’s a pretty nifty method of creating overrides, by the way. You could remove the dummy BUILDING_SACRED_BUILDING then.

There is a ShowInPedia parameter for units, unfortunately not for buildings what could have also done the job easier.

"Bucharest has completed the Moai Statues!" Not good!

Most (national) wonders miss the CivOverrides for City States and Barbs.

Maybe you could PM all the modding mistakes, before it gets too embarrassing for me :lol:

Just kidding, I'm grateful :) Will start working again on it tomorrow.

Maybe you could PM all the modding mistakes, before it gets too embarrassing for me :lol:

Just kidding, I'm grateful :) Will start working again on it tomorrow.

He allready PMed me pretty much my entire Wartburg civilopedia entry, then pointed out that half the thing was mistakes :lol:

I'm glad we have such an observant person on the lookout!

Done (file in OP). As a result CiVUP is now a(n included) requirement for the mod and cannot be removed. The growth process was axed in the process; it worked but I couldn't get its effects to show correctly in the UI. All national wonders have the 75% requirement now.

From TBC I took the puppet nerf and the AI tweaks I came across. The (few) changes to units got moved outside the "core" folder. Also removed the instaheal promotion, as requested by Lachlan (I had this in separate mod).

It was not as straightforward as I expected. Sometimes problems arose and disappeared without me knowing exactly what happened (nice one!) Now it's time to

Released to the mod browser. I updated Thal's stuff to 7.2 (used older version before :wallbash:), fixed minor bugs and tweaked balance, e.g., Belem Tower and Topkapi Palace only require their prereq buildings in 50% of cities.

Man, I’m so busy with buildings that I hardly find time building units. It’s good that I prefer to play on equalized prince diff to see how things play out on equal terms. On higher diffs, I would be easy prey.

The AI is even ahead in technology at beginning but somehow things change between Renaissance where I tend to outrace them with ease thanks to my dozens of buildings per city. Funny that even City States seem to be far off in technology sometimes compared to me and other civs.
In my last session, I was fighting with Mechanized Infantry vs Longswordsman then which isn’t so thrilling anymore.

Every resource is nicely tended with all kind of buildings. I haven’t first paid attention to the buildings, like Mint/Jeweler where you have to decide if gold or culture, same with Aqueduct and the desert-variant.
Maybe Cloth Hall could also support Fur. Ivory (gold) and Whale (production) are also not supported yet. Yeah okay, maybe it conflicts later with Wildlife Resort. We are all animal lovers, aren't we? :D

I almost feel the AI can’t handle all those many buildings like me, even when I play with my Native Wonder mod where civs hardly have many wonders to build. I still like all those buildings!

There is one bug in the previous and your currently used CiVUP version in AutoTips/Text/TA - Tips - Language_FR_FR.xml with a double entry of: TXT_KEY_PRODUCTION_BUILDING_OBSOLETE_TECH
You could delete the very last dupe in the file to prevent ugly error msgs in the database.log.

Yes, I didn't like the missing improvement on jungle tiles either at first, but you get lots of bonuses there by buildings later (2f, 1g, 6s?). It's only so late with Research/Medical Lab and Internet (or Genetic Engineering with my UT-mod). I think it's too late because you really have enough research developed by other means at this point. An additional trading post would also look nicer.

There is something else missing that I remember from TBC mod: The Manufactury from Great Engineer doesn't improve resources. I'd really like to have this included. Not sure if it was only for mineral-resources but I think it would still make sense.

I often don't know where I should place those Great Person buildings if I don't know what to do else with them. If those also improve things then the decision is much easier. Those persons don't pop up very often anyway.

TBC offers plenty possibilities. Moriboe could take a look at the "BTI - GP Improvements.xml" file and see what has all be done there.
There are also many different yield-bonuses/penalties depending on resource type.

Manufactury improves iron, coal, aluminum, uranium, horse, oil, gems, gold, silver, and marble.

Landmark and Custom House improve luxury goods: gems, gold, silver, marble, ivory, fur, dye, silk, spices, sugar, cotton, wine, and incense.

The Academy is maybe the least used building because everyone wants to instantly discover tech. In TBC, it is allowed on jungle too but not on any resource.

The Citadel improves anything as far as I can see, so it's more useful in own territory.

I like these improvements.

The AI is even ahead in technology at beginning but somehow things change between Renaissance where I tend to outrace them with ease thanks to my dozens of buildings per city.
In my last game Germany hit the future age when I was only halfway the modern (emperor), but of course its grand strategy said "domination" so it made no effort for space or diplomatic, which it likely would have won :/
An additional trading post would also look nicer.
I disagree! Jungle is dense and very sparsely populated, seeing it developed like that bugged me. Also it was the only thing you could put on jungle, making it a waste of clicks. I agree jungle is weak now until too late, but for me it's the reward for being a tree hugger :)
We are all animal lovers, aren't we? :D
You all should be! :trouble:
I often don't know where I should place those Great Person buildings if I don't know what to do else with them. If those also improve things then the decision is much easier.
A tip: resources will not pop next to river, so those are safe locations. We don't want easy decisions, do we? :)

I don't like the fact TP can't be built in Jungle anymore :/
Great! Now you know what to change first :D Are you taking note of Mentos' suggestions too? ;) I'll upload the project somewhere and PM you the link. No obligations. Oh and there is another AutoTips bug that shows (=bug) a water resource bonus for the seaport that isn't granted (=good) :p

Thanks for all the tips, but I'm done now. It's time for me to move on and I can't stand loose ends (stresses me out), that's why this decision may seem a bit drastic. I may return to active modding in half a year or so :)

As lazy amateur strategist, I tend to leave all city management on auto. Trading Posts seem to be the least used improved tiles by the AI-manager next to hills with mines or forest with lumbermills without any other resources.
I often just improve whatever tile is around a city no matter the cost because it "looks" better.
A trading post on jungle is at least the most useful spot for those if you don't need further plains beneath them for farms.
Well, those trading posts could be established to collect and hunt exotic flora and fauna making the gold increase plausible. The herbalism turns later to pharmaceutics introducing the science points.

I'm still fine with waiting too until jungle tiles provide more gimmicks by buildings either. :)

Moriboe, are you still going to update your CiVUP files to 7.2.4b with the corrected CS influence stats or is it already included in v10.3?

PS: It must be an older version because every city (not only the own) shows these disturbing build-countdown numbers messed up next to the defense value. Don't get fooled by versions because everyone is beta! :p

I corrected the CS influence in AutoTips in the current version. I used 7.2 from CiVUP, assuming it was more stable. Wrongly, apparently.

I did see a number as you say appearing on city states, but simply ignored it.

Top Bottom