Thinking about getting the game.

paulcarri

Prince
Hey all

Ive been playing civ games since childhood- starting with civ I, then civ II, SMAC, CTP I and II etc, and CIV III...then after a long long break i got CIV IV complete a few months ago..and have played it to death since.

I did download a demo of vanilla civ v, but it crashed a fair bit (i think it was a dx issue) and it was very limited anyway.

I am thinking about buying the whole lot now, to give me a change from civ iv (i wont stop playing this completely) and would love a little info if possible?.

Firstly, what sort of systems have you managed to play the game on?. I would be playing on my lappy, which is i3, 8gb ram and ssd, but just the intel graphics...i dont need beautiful graphics but wouldnt want it looking worse than say...civ iv or III

Secondly, we all knew the AI was incompetent in previous CIV versions, but the nature of simpler combat meant they could be a military threat... are the reports of an utterly incompetent AI overstated?

Finally, is there plenty of depth and choice with the expansions, and all the options for custom games ? (i loved playing on a crowded pangea fighting one game, then the next a custom 1 island per player game for instance)

Cheers

You won't be playing Civ V on the integrated graphics of an i3.

The AI started out very bad. Apparantly a design decision, as the idea was that players liked the sandbox and didn't want it ruined by something as akward as the AI actually finishing the game by winning it... This has been a ball and chain around the game ever since. It has improved many times over, but there are still eyesores that can irritate you.

Like diplomacy, many answers are meaningless and without consequence. Like military units, sometimes they do dumb things. But all in all the game is now very playable and the AI can challenge you at your given level.

Finally, yes, it's the depth of the game that keep people playing. This has been improved much with every expansion, and BNW seems to finish on this. The choice of settings has always been there, and with added DLC there are many ways to configure a game.

The girlfriend has a dual core laptop with an Intel integrated graphics card, and she plays it ok.
A bit slow but the thing does work on it.

Yes, Civ 5 with G&Ks and BNW is a very good game. Civ 5 Vanilla was utterly worthless. It was totally crap. An embarrassment to any intelligent human being.

And the game runs OK on even weaker computers.

Yes, Civ 5 with G&Ks and BNW is a very good game. Civ 5 Vanilla was utterly worthless. It was totally crap. An embarrassment to any intelligent human being.

And the game runs OK on even weaker computers.

Cheers, the demo was underwhelming to be honest, but that was vanilla.

I think ill give it a go :)

Not even on the I series here and with 4 GB ram I run it flawlessly. Not full settings OFC but I could care less about water reflections.

The AI started out very bad. Apparantly a design decision, as the idea was that players liked the sandbox and didn't want it ruined by something as akward as the AI actually finishing the game by winning it...

Eh what? Where did you read this? After improving the AI significantly (laughable word as it required 3 years to make the AI able to place ranged units behind melee) it still is unable to pose a military threat whatsoever so I doubt its was a design choice.

Not even on the I series here and with 4 GB ram I run it flawlessly. Not full settings OFC but I could care less about water reflections.

I dont need it full res

I am curious, can you get it running on say graphics details similar to civ iv?

I dont need it full res

I am curious, can you get it running on say graphics details similar to civ iv?

Define similar please :) If you mean all details at max then no. If you mean for it to look better even when 4 is at max then yes.

EDIT: I run it at 1920 x 1080 due to it be a best match for my screen. The only problem I have met thus far is turns taking forever in huge maps with all civs in. But that can be addressed somewhat when I remove 2 civs.

Will inform you how BNW runs when I get the damn release :D

This is theoretically possible, since that is the minimum requirement.

Please also note that there's a separarte G&K demo available on Steam.
EDIT: And apparently also one for BNW :).

they said performance was greatly improved in BNW
they did pretty the same thing for BTS earlier, and it was running ~3 times faster than vanilla civ4, iirc

Haven't noticed anything of consequence yet, albeit I played only 3-4 hours.

The AI is pretty much the only reason why i can't play CIV V anymore. It's just not feeling authentic. CIV IV had some pretty nice AI, especially with the improved AI Mod. There i had sometimes the feeling to battle a "real" opponent. The AI of CIV V is just able to outnumber you. No basic understanding of strategy at all. Here is a quite usefull rating, sums that up:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...with-brave-new-world-but-old-problems-linger/

The AI is pretty much the only reason why i can't play CIV V anymore. It's just not feeling authentic. CIV IV had some pretty nice AI, especially with the improved AI Mod. There i had sometimes the feeling to battle a "real" opponent. The AI of CIV V is just able to outnumber you. No basic understanding of strategy at all. Here is a quite usefull rating, sums that up:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...with-brave-new-world-but-old-problems-linger/

To be fair, the AI on civ iv could be pretty stupid at times :)

Didnt know there was a BNW demo, ill download that tonight and give it a try ;)

Thanks all

From the post above review is this quote:
This is what I agree with in regards to the AI diplomacy.

AI diplomacy must try to screw you all the time to bring challenge to the game. What is the point of an AI diplomacy playing nicely all along?

AI diplomacy must try to screw you all the time to bring challenge to the game. What is the point of an AI diplomacy playing nicely all along?
That's ridiculous! What you are saying is that no diplomacy is a good thing, because it makes the game more challenging.

You should be able to have allies and fair trade from those allies.

Realism and weighting outcomes and possibilities. Having Gandhi nuking the globe thrice over EVERY GAME and denouncing you, when its not in HIS interests is not a good diplomacy as is not to be seeing Alexander attacking city states.

I mean ok Gandhi was a good joke (for the most part of the first decade of the franchise), but its 20 years old now...

EDIT: To her credit and the one who programmed her, the only AI who is capable of conducting diplomacy as it should is Catherine of all leaders. And Wu, to a lesser extend.

Top Bottom