Mausoleum of Halicarnassus in BNW

mikeg

Chieftain
Hello everybody, quick question/comment for y'all:

I'm not getting BNW till Friday but to me it appears that without explicitly changing its properties this has gone from being one of the weakest wonders to potentially one of the strongest, due to a) the general lack of gold around the Ancient/Classical period and b) the increased amounts of great people that can be expended to bring in the dosh (assuming this works the same way each time a GWAM is expended).

I don't think I ever built this in G&K (even with multiple stone/marble in a city radius) but I can see it being a key wonder now. Has anyone been having any success with building the Mausoleum for its gold-giving properties? What are people's general go-to strategies for overcoming the money worries early game?

It's hard to get at higher levels, but always worthwhile if you get 3 or more quarry resources, especially if one is marble. Get the stoneworks builts, and every one of those tiles is absolutely cooking. Add stone circles pantheon on top of that.... phew!

Ah OK, I thought they'd all been added in. Was never really a fan of having wonders as DLC in the first place TBH.

Ah OK, I thought they'd all been added in. Was never really a fan of having wonders as DLC in the first place TBH.

I agree.. it should be added in (and balanced properly) along with ToA (which needs to be documented properly as +food not +Growth)

It's hard to get at higher levels, but always worthwhile if you get 3 or more quarry resources, especially if one is marble. Get the stoneworks builts, and every one of those tiles is absolutely cooking. Add stone circles pantheon on top of that.... phew!

Yeah I can see that it can stack nicely with buildings and pantheons from a production point of view, but I'm thinking more of it's other quality, the 100 gold from expending great people. Previously I'd always dismissed this as garbage considering the amount of GP I ended up using in a typical game, but now I can see it coming into it's own.

Yes, I liked the wonder. It's actually one of the easier ones to get, due to the AI normally being slow to pick up Masonry - this also goes for the Pyramids. It's certainly easier to get then something like Artemis or Zeus.

Perhaps the OP is right in saying it's one of the weakest wonders, but it's not a dud. Perhaps with just 2 quarries I would already prefer it to the Colossus. And yes, with money constraints bigger it should even become more interesting.

AI usually ignores it for quite a while, it's pretty easy to get.

I've noticed in the past it also seems to be a city-state favourite, so maybe holding off until someone asks you to build it may be a good strategy, in order to extract maximum benefit.

It's generally easy to get and I too, find it to be of more use in BNW, now that money is tight.
It couples nicely with the Stone Circles pantheon.

AI usually ignores it for quite a while, it's pretty easy to get.

Really?

I find that it's often gone by about turn 40, along with GL, Artemis, and Zeus.

Beelining Masonry to start the game doesn't really appeal to me.

Really?

I find that it's often gone by about turn 40, along with GL, Artemis, and Zeus.

Beelining Masonry to start the game doesn't really appeal to me.

I guess it depends on which civs are in the game, but I've seen it last at least twice that.

What bugs me about it is not so much about the wonder itself but the AI civs building it when they have no stone or marble in their territory. Why did you build it!?

I would say it's a must if playing Venice, even when not having too many quarries around Venice, as it gives you the much-needed Great Merchant (of Venice) points and cash on each great person expenditure.

This wonder gets a boost in BNW because of the many GWAMs you can produce in addition to the normal GPs. In my first immortal game, I could've taken it with the Liberty engineer, otherwise I think early production is best spent building the necessities of capturing the nearby AI capital with Great Lighthouse, Great Library and Colossus:mischief:

The Mausoleum is a little situational, but very powerful if you have the right start, i.e. surrounded by lots of Stone and Marble. Sadly it seems like that kind of start is rarer than others, as I almost never feel I'm in the right place to take much advantage of it, at most I have one marble or stone near the capital. But if you're surrounded by those, then it's definitely to your advantage to take Masonry to start with, and then of course the Mausoleum follows.

If you do start near lots of stone and marble, in BNW this could quickly turn you into a very powerful civ even if you're in a strategically disadvantageous location. All that gold and production would make you pretty much unstoppable early game, and with Stone Circles you'd be a religious powerhouse, not to mention how Marble has that delicious Wonder production bonus.

Top Bottom