My little Civ, Friendship is Magic.

The AI would never offer you something if it had a stronger army. If it did then there's a bug.

If it didn't then that behavior is perfectly normal.

Since the patch the A.I. is not suicidal anymore, it won't send its troops to the slaughter when it has already less than you.

In vainilla Civ V, AI's behaved like King Sombra: they just wanted you dead, pronto, and take over the world as soon as possible. Needless to say, they were the dullest villains.

In G&K the AI was Discord: a force of randomness with little to no reason for its actions on the surface, but with some kind of devious plan behind the scenes. Best villains, probably.

In BNW the AI is Princess Luna, which looks like a bad guy but it just really wants to be your friend. A kind of adorable villain.

What am I doing with my life oh God

Watching the best show? :D

The AI would never offer you something if it had a stronger army. If it did then there's a bug.

Since the patch the A.I. is not suicidal anymore, it won't send its troops to the slaughter when it has already less than you.

It's not even this... the AI just doesn't really want to go to war anymore. I went an entire immortal/large/epic game as shoshone without making any units aside from 2 pathfinders (comp bowmen -> archer upgrade path), until I hit modern era.

It took me forcing my religion and ideology as world ideology down the throats of the world via buying WC votes to get them to DoW me. 300 turns of peace into 5/7 AI players DoW'ing me within 2 turns. Certain WC votes really really upset the AI :p

Granted, it's a small sample size, but on higher difficulties it is VERY noticable how much less likely the AI is to DoW post-BNW. AI attitudes are also more mercurial - once the WC and ideologies hit, you can go from being friends and trading buddies for 2-3 eras to hostile / war in 2 turns.

Not sure exactly what's causing it - probably a combination of focus on diplomacy + less gold + reduced AI bonuses on higher levels. I've put a LOT of hours into immortal games though, and the behavior is notably different.

That's a problem though. If the AI suicides all it units against you and you kill them all off, or if you take several of their cities, they should be willing to negotiate peace. They should judge the course of the war by the actual results and casualties, not just base things off of the military size.
EDIT: I'm not saying the AI does this as much as I'm saying that it ought to.

They do judge on results and casualties... and on military size. Its in the code.

For my first game of BNW i decided to go Aztecs/Continents/Huge/Emperor/Epic, and it has literally been the most boring game of Civ5 I have ever played. As of right now, I have made it to 1735 AD without a single conflict with the A.I..

My army consists solely of two Jaguars, Iv done everything I can to piss off my neighbors(spying,expanding right next to them,Religious conversions, exc), Everyone around me things Im a warmongering menace to the world, Iv publicly denounced everyone, AND EVERYONE STILL WANTS TO BE MY FRIEND!

I went to war with England, who has an army and navy large enough to wipe my off the map. I stole two settlers, looted some trade routes, and destroyed a few tiles before having my army crushed. Right after England offers to make peace for some gold and a few luxury resources. Then 10 turns later offers to make a public decoration of friendship.

What happened to Civ5? I get the feeling the A.I. would want to be best pals even after I start nukeing capitals. The game use to be exciting, I use to have to make walls and army's or the A.I. would crush me, now its like im playing on Settler difficulty.

Edit: I should also note that I have science and Cultural Victory turned off. The only way the A.I. can win is by Time, Domination or, Diplomacy, and right now im ahead of everyone by 200 points minimum.

My game today was just the opposite. Was playing Egypt/Pangaea/Huge/King/Marathon with 18 Civs and 41 city states. Also modded a few wonders because I am Egypt and like building things and disabled settlers mainly to reduce lag.

Right out of the gate I get triple declared on by Japan, Dido, and Monty by turn 30. Didn't even have archers yet because I was beelining for Pottery, Writting, Great Library wonder. It wasn't just a short 10 turn war either but a 40 turn grudge match. The only reason I didn't lose my capital was surrounded by hills and had rivers on each side. Monty's Jaguars were in the way of Japan's archers so they could not range down my city. After I got my lone archer Tradition /Oligarchy policy was my only saving grace. I managed to turtle through the first wave. They pulled back their troops but refused to make peace. They then sent a second and third wave to take my capital but by then I had more archers defending my hills and beat them back a little easier. Dido making war before they have elephants was kind of funny.

When the war ended all three immediately denounced me. It was enough of diplomatic penalty that Shaka declared on me three turns after the war. Was never at peace for more than a few turns thus far. Still have a few hundred more turn to play out but NPC warmongering is not likely to stop.

Guys... It's about the new flavours of the AI. Only Warmongerers will DoW early and frequently. Other Civs need really really really good reasons for it, as they are mostly trying to be diplomatic and such. I'm actually glad that the AI doesn't just love war anymore, regardless of personality. I played a game tonight against Genghis and Oda. Turn 52 double DoW. Played a second game against Portugal and Morocco. Only got DoW'ed by Morocco for differing Ideologies/ My tourism spreading (was actually surprising that the AI does this!). But that was a good reason, instead of just wanting me dead.

If it's boring why don't you build some army and start wars?

Why would you even try to provoke them into war without having an army? Are you trying to suicide, is that your game plan, or are you just exaggerating on every front to give your whining some substance?

...You are playing the AZTECS. Your unique ability is specifically geared for you to constantly be at war solely to kill units and not take cities in particular. Why are you not sending out your infantry to mass-kill enemy soldiers and gain bucketloads of culture? It stands to reason you'd have a boring game when you play the civilization specifically geared to gain the most from slaughtering the masses and then proceeding to not slaughter the masses. Go out, make tons of units, kill everyone without taking cities, adopt trillions of social policies! Save peaceful play for a peaceful civ! From turn one you should've been making two or three Jaguars and teaming up on isolated explorer units, adopting Honor to rush in on barb camps to finish the whole tree before even Old France could! Adopt Autocracy now that it has cultural elements, and use all that freakish amount of Culture to resist any tourism from those weak-willed heathens who believe the weak should survive!

I'm playing a game as France on Prince (normally I play King, but need to adapt to new features). On my continent (Pedro, Maria, Casimir) there were no wars, everyone fought barbs. But on the second continent (Shaka, Pocatello, Ashurbanipal, Ahmad) wars are constant. Morocco was first taken by the Shoshone, then by the Zulus. In the meantime Enrico plots against Assyria, while Polish colonies there are getting burned to the ground by the Shoshone. I was lucky not to meet the usual warmogners, and I hope there well be some wars involving me when I move back to King.

Top Bottom