R.E.D. World War II development thread

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
The download link and installation instruction are here

This thread is about the development of the mod, help is welcome for future releases :D

Projects files are on GitHub:

Current version
R.E.D. WWII Edition <- Current version, most of the code is using Lua
R.E.D. WWII Data Files <- Data Files

Converted version (pre-alpha, not playable)
R.E.D. WWII Reloaded <- this will replace RED WWII Edition with most of the code converted to C++
Test Map <- small test map to play on with IGE or Firetuner
World Map <- not ready for edition with the WB yet (we need to add improvements/resources/cities names in the DB first)
Iwo Jima <- with rules for tactical play

DLL source code
DLL Code source

Switch to RED WWII branch, build the CvGameCoreDLL project and rename CvGameCoreDLLFinal Release.dll to CvGameCore_RED.dll

You'll need modbuddy (part of the SDK tools for civ5) to build the projects and MV C++ 2010 (for example) to compile the DLL.

I suggest to install a GUI Client for GIT to simply download updates instead of the whole zipped branch if you want to follow the development.

You can follow this guide by whoward69 to set up your coding environment, the differences being:
- the git link (see above)
- R.E.D WWI is a branch of the repository, not master (switch to that branch)
- the project to build is CvGameCoreDLL, not CvGameCoreDLL_Expansion2

Credits:

see the full credits list.

Attachments

• REDww2beta.jpg
    REDww2beta.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 6,823
  • REDww2beta2.jpg
    REDww2beta2.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 60,897
  • REDww2beta3.jpg
    REDww2beta3.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 59,407
  • REDww2beta4.jpg
    REDww2beta4.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 1,835
Known bugs:

- Automatic denunciation against the player are notified by a negative answer from the AI
- some icons not working in strategic view (SW will be deactivated anyway, but still...)
- Diplomatic dialog about expansion on turn 2 should not happens
- Promotion Flag mod sometimes display wrong promotions for an unit

Help needed:

- Other nations (Hungary, Poland, Finland, Netherlands, ...)
- Units models (see Danrell's threads in the forum unit section for the available ones)
- material to make good DoM and diplo screen (including at least 8-9 WW2 poster related to that nation)
- mp3 speech of the leader
- introduction texts like for the other nation in the mod​

Available icons

Spoiler :

Now this looks good, but why is Britain purple ?
Red is for russia, white is too close of German grey, normal blue is too close of French blue (which is not French flag blue btw), and this purple is not so far from Union Jack blue. that may change anyway.

This looks really good!

Do you need some help? (for translations perhaps)
I'll surely need help, for debugging first, and for checking/adding texts and translation, yes, thanks :goodjob:

I'll also need 2D art for new unit class icons, maybe some buildings icons too.

And if someone could convert even more ww2 civ4 units, It'll be great... Even if Danrell has already made a fantastic job :D

But first, I'm finishing the beta.

Looks nice, Modern era is my favorite. I just hope you'll have a version with smaller map size at some time. Although I guess it's not about conquering the whole world here?
The map used here is quite big, but I try to code this mod so that adding another (and smaller) WW2 theater of operation could be done.

Here it is ! :D

[...]

edited : download link and instructions are now in first post

Quick questions before I start testing: Any chance of supply and capturing tiles being separated from the scenario in the future as a mod (or mods)?

Also, given my experience with the game, auto-capturing tiles means you can't pillage I think. :/

I don't plan it in short term, but tile capture and supply could be ported to vanilla.

About pillage, no you can't do it now, but thanks to a suggestion made some time ago about my Stalingrad mod, there'll be smaller scale units, maybe invisible to other normal units, and without the tile capture ability... recon, sabotage (yes, pillage), etc...

So, played the scenario a little bit. A few things I've noticed is that auto-capturing tiles works fine. However, I think some kind of timer needs to be displayed when the next declaration of war is coming. Otherwise, the player is operating in the dark about when the declaration is coming. The unit icon for my German infantry divisions doesn't show up in strategic view.

I'll also need 2D art for new unit class icons, maybe some buildings icons too.

You need unit icons? I could help with that.

Red is for russia, white is too close of German grey, normal blue is too close of French blue (which is not French flag blue btw), and this purple is not so far from Union Jack blue. that may change anyway.

Try brown.

So, played the scenario a little bit. A few things I've noticed is that auto-capturing tiles works fine. However, I think some kind of timer needs to be displayed when the next declaration of war is coming. Otherwise, the player is operating in the dark about when the declaration is coming. The unit icon for my German infantry divisions doesn't show up in strategic view.
Yep, even myself I would like it to be more dynamic. And it should allow more freedom of choice to the player.

If possible, instead of having you as the player automatically declare war on Poland if you play Germany or USSR, it'll be better to have a pop-up asking something like "Should we respect the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact ?" with some kind of consequences.

In current form, a sort of timer, coming from a notification icon a few turn before with a text like "Our secret service believes that an invasion of Poland is imminent" could be done I think.

In all case, I need to do a real calendar.

How's the feel of the speed in game, is 360-400 turns too much ? (that's ~5 days / turn)

You need unit icons? I could help with that.

Yep, thanks, I'll need some for the new unit classes, if possible in the same style of vanilla Civ5 icons (ie pictures with some kind of drawing filter)

Here's a list if anyone is interested to do some:

- heavy fighter : maybe based on a P-38 or a Bf-110
- attack aircraft : Stuka !
- heavy bomber : I can use the vanilla B17 here or another 4 engines bomber (or a 2 engine bomber to replace the bomber icon)
- fighter-bomber : P-47 or Il-2
- mech infantry : something less modern than the vanilla icon. german half-track ?
- heavy tank: I may use the Panzer icon, but a King Tiger or a IS-2 could do
- paratroops/special force : I'll go for the foreign legion icon, unless you found something better like British Commandos
- engineer : something like that
- dreadnought : not really needed, I'll use it for soviet Gangut (or I'll use the Ironclad)
- transport ship
- mobile HQ

and then there are the buildings:
- military dock
- military airport
- different usines types
- recruiting center
- cabaret

Try brown.
Brown ? like the one I use for Finland or Romania on the map ?

may I ask why this color ? :D

The unit icon for my German infantry divisions doesn't show up in strategic view.
ho, and I forgot this : I'm sorry for the turns time, but I'll need to remove strategic view to be sure that the events fire for the retreat mechanism... :(

it's crashing for me :(

one time when i double clicked on milan to change production and another after clicking on a swiss city (the name was unreadable and the ui was broken)

just started as Britain, im loving it so far except i think production is far to slow, ihave been playing for about 1 hour and i have only just completed a military base, and no Infantry in Britain, i want to go over shores and help poland, PS. stonehendge should be in plymouth :)
yep, I'll give a bit more units to every nations at start and some buildings in selected cities to help quickening the beginning. But some cities won't be used to produce units, but to support them...

and I've tried that city first for Stonehenge, but then it ended build in the sea... :rolleyes:

it's crashing for me :(

one time when i double clicked on milan to change production and another after clicking on a swiss city (the name was unreadable and the ui was broken)

you're using the latest patch ? are you playing in Italian language ? If so, can you try in English ?

and by the way, how would you translate "fighter squadron" and "bomber squadron" in Italian ? :)

Yep, even myself I would like it to be more dynamic. And it should allow more freedom of choice to the player.

If possible, instead of having you as the player automatically declare war on Poland if you play Germany or USSR, it'll be better to have a pop-up asking something like "Should we respect the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact ?" with some kind of consequences.

In current form, a sort of timer, coming from a notification icon a few turn before with a text like "Our secret service believes that an invasion of Poland is imminent" could be done I think.

In all case, I need to do a real calendar.

How's the feel of the speed in game, is 360-400 turns too much ? (that's ~5 days / turn)

Yep, thanks, I'll need some for the new unit classes, if possible in the same style of vanilla Civ5 icons (ie pictures with some kind of drawing filter)

Here's a list if anyone is interested to do some:

- heavy fighter : maybe based on a P-38 or a Bf-110
- attack aircraft : Stuka !
- heavy bomber : I can use the vanilla B17 here or another 4 engines bomber (or a 2 engine bomber to replace the bomber icon)
- fighter-bomber : P-47 or Il-2
- mech infantry : something less modern than the vanilla icon. german half-track ?
- heavy tank: I may use the Panzer icon, but a King Tiger or a IS-2 could do
- paratroops/special force : I'll go for the foreign legion icon, unless you found something better like British Commandos
- engineer : something like that
- dreadnought : not really needed, I'll use it for soviet Gangut (or I'll use the Ironclad)
- transport ship
- mobile HQ

and then there are the buildings:
- military dock
- military airport
- different usines types
- recruiting center
- cabaret

Brown ? like the one I use for Finland or Romania on the map ?

may I ask why this color ? :D

Okay, I'll get to work on these icons.

Why brown? Because brown was the color used for Britain in a very old Sega Saturn WWII strategy game (one of the best ever, IMO) called Iron Storm.

So i start a game as soviet union and its very good! love that we can liberate territory of an ally.
But like Bonci said the name of swiss city state are unreadable, and i think the AI build unit beside of buying it. Thats destroy the gameplay because i can build up an army rapidly and the AI take like 100 turns to build a single unit.

Continue the great work :goodjob:

And sry for my bad english im french from Québec:)

Top Bottom