The Modder's Guide to Civ4

Let me start by saying that I don't know a whole lot about Python or XML. So what I’m about to say might not make a lot of sense or it might, just let me know either way.

Anyway I figure that and code we are allowed to see won’t be very well documented. So what I’m saying before you can go in and start changing things you are going to have to figure out how it all works right? If somebody were to document the code and share it with the community it would help new modders get started.

Another note: People have been asking about the possibility of including existing Civ3 units in Civ4. While Civ4 will not support 2D animations, it's easy to implement what is called a "billboard unit." To do this, you create a transparent plane, or billboard, in a 3D program, and place the Civ3 unit animation onto it as an animated texture. In the game, the unit will appear as it did in Civ3. While this technique has its drawbacks, specifically that the unit would not be displayed properly if the camera was not in the default position, billboard units would make great placeholders while the unit makers prepare the new 3D units.
What about 2D units that *aren't* animated? A la Civ 2?

GangsterOctopus said:
Anyway I figure that and code we are allowed to see won’t be very well documented. So what I’m saying before you can go in and start changing things you are going to have to figure out how it all works right? If somebody were to document the code and share it with the community it would help new modders get started.
That may be an issue with Python (although it wouldn't be hard for an experienced programmer to figure it out), but XML is designed to organize information and make it easily accessible. So I wouldn't much about that.

@MikeLynch: That will be possible too. Even easier, in fact- the texture would just be a single image.

weasel op said:
I don't really know why the next line looks the way it does, but I will let you know when I figure it out. I'm still learning about this too. It may be because I sent the message to myself. In any case, this line usually indicates who the message was sent to.

the <touser /> is eqivilant to writing <touser></touser> basically an empty element, but it's just shorthand for doing it that way :), and once you've seen enough xml, it's more intuitive to see it that way too :).

Am I correct in assuming that we can add an unlimited amount of new terrain?

That is so good to hear Weasel OP!!
Thanks for your response :goodjob:

Anyone know how to find out what (X,Y) locations certain portions of the map are, such as places to be used as starting locations? Apart from guess and check, that is.

Like, what is the (x,y) of where London should be? etc. But (0,0) being the top left is a good start for me, thanks.

GangsterOctopus said:

BTW, having seen the code for myself now, I would say it's very well documented. I'm just learning Python, but I looked through one of the map scripts and I could tell what it was doing most of the time becuase of the comments. :)

Some of the XML tags are a little obscure, but for the most part it's easy to understand. Isak is going to post a list of what each tag does once he gets the retail version, so before long we should have everything figured out.

Ironically, the world builder seems to be the hardest to operate so far. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom